• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Five key things from the June reveals of Pokémon Scarlet and Violet

Some parts were only obvious from the website, rather than the trailer alone.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
  • If I had to include a 6th one, it's that the Science/technology is amazing! guy has returned again. Bless him

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • Just a detail: the word for past is the masculine "pasado", pasada means something like "left behind" or "no longer in" (as well as slang for "amazing"). So she's not so much Professor Past as "Professor left behind" xD Or maybe spoiled or past her sell-by date. Poor woman.

In Spanish she's Albora (Dawn) and the man is Turo /from future obviously) so the idea is right, though.

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
  • Just a detail: the word for past is the masculine "pasado", pasada means something like "left behind" or "no longer in" (as well as slang for "amazing"). So she's not so much Professor Past as "Professor left behind" xD Or maybe spoiled or past her sell-by date. Poor woman.

In Spanish she's Albora (Dawn) and the man is Turo /from future obviously) so the idea is right, though.

OH! I was so fixated on the unfortunate implications of both professors' names that I didn't even notice they were derivated from the Spanish words for "past" and "future." Still, I hadn't thought of the other unfortunate readings you brought up, so thanks for the laughs. xD

As I have said before, being a native Spanish speaker, the names of both Professors suggested to me that they are evil because:
    -Sada reminds me of "sadism" and all its related words, and we all know some teachers can be quite... well, sadistic. It also brings to mind the historical origin of the word - the Marquis de Sade. Clearly this woman is disturbed and should not be allowed near children.
    -Turo is a more obscure one; his name is just one "r" away from "turro," which is a Rioplatense Spanish equivalent for English insults like "jerk," "a**hole," "a**hat" and the like. Add to that, there's no distinction between the two types of "r" in English, so both are pronounced exactly the same. Basically, his name is Professor A**hole, and therefore he shouldn't be near kids either.

If the English translation team is going to be this obvious, I fear for future character names.

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • -Turo is a more obscure one; his name is just one "r" away from "turro," which is a Rioplatense Spanish equivalent for English insults like "jerk," "a**hole," "a**hat" and the like. Add to that, there's no distinction between the two types of "r" in English, so both are pronounced exactly the same. Basically, his name is Professor A**hole, and therefore he shouldn't be near kids either.

Can't wait until I'm playing the Spanish version and professor Turo tells me "coge un Pokémon". I swear I will die from laughter.

Orion☆

The Whole Constellation
    Years
  • Can't wait until I'm playing the Spanish version and professor Turo tells me "coge un Pokémon". I swear I will die from laughter.

I was thinking more along the lines of "Blue must be laughing his a** off because now there's a character canonically called Jerkface/A**hole/etc" but this is valid too, lol

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Noticed the different battle user-interface.
    Pokemon Scarlet Violet Battle UI.jpg

Took a page from Arceus: Legends's design. Moved the wild Pokemon's particulars to above it, rather than the top-right.

Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2022
    I am interested as to the number of HP displayed in the battle layout for your pokemon.. I don't remember that in old games.

Also in that view, Qwaxly looks like he has a pirate hat on.. I hope that is the direction for its evolutions.

Back