• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Books Childhood Books

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    What books did you read as a child? Feel free to define "child" however you wish. Places it at any time in elementary school and before (so, about 11 years old and under), personally. Have you revisited any since then?

Started off with Go Dog Go, Curious George, Clifford the Big Red Dog, and Berenstain Bear books. Recounts reading the latter in church once. (Hated Sunday School. Sat in the main congregation while reading quietly instead.) Wrote some of the Berenstain Bear books with a heavy moral/behavioral lesson. Example titles: The Berenstain Bears and Too Much TV and The Berenstain Bears Forget Their Manners. Considers that unsurprising for children's books, though. Probably never absorbed the lessons because of that regular heavy handedness.

Remembers one other book in particular: The Jolly Postman. Probably grew out of the above books by then. Stuck in memory not for its story, but its letters. Contained letters you could remove from the book. Added a special layer to the story.

Jumped up to longer chapter books around 9 or 10 years old. Enjoyed anything fantasy or magical. Read a number of Magic Tree House, Harry Potter, Redwall, and Star Wars books. Reread one of the Redwall books (Mattimeo) a year or two ago. Forgot several specifics. Remembered the general plot and formula of multiple perspectives towards a final destination. Held interest in terms of nostalgia, but not much else.

Borrowed a sibling's Dragonlance books towards the end of this timeframe. Scratched the same itch as the ones above. Perused Wanderlust not long ago (likely the same time as Mattimeo). Found that interesting still, thanks to the lens of a Dungeons and Dragons adventures. Created an interesting world. Came up lacking on character development. Extracted enjoyment out of it, nevertheless.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    I used to read a lot of different types of books. Favourite picture books I remember were The Very Hungry Caterpillar, Where The Wild Things Are, Dr Seuss books and Charlie and Lola.

When I first started reading chaptered books, I remember reading a lot of the Pokemon ones that were out, Roald Dahl books, Boy In The Dress and the Geronimo Stilton series. I also remember liking the Magic School Bus books.

Towards middle to end of elementary school I remember reading a lot of Harry Potter, the Narnia series, The Hunger Games, Bridge to Terabithia, The Hobbit, Horrible Histories, Horrible Science and Emily Rodda books like Deltora Quest to name a few. Oo I also liked the Goosebump books but they kept me up at night, haha.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I loved Shel Silverstein's writings, especially his books of whimsical poems like A Light in the Attic, Falling Up, Where the Sidewalk Ends, and looking at the illustrations that accompanied them. I was actually revisiting Where the Side Walk Ends last month, listening to some audio recordings narrated by the author himself. He read so suspensefully and his voice was so full of energy, warmth and mischief, and captured my imagination now as much as ever.

I'm glad that Roald Dahl was mentioned because he was a fun time too, and I definitely revisited his writings, was required to in fact during a Children's Literature class I took Sophomore year. One of the books on the syllabus was James and the Giant Peach, and it was delightful to read through.

I like classics mostly like The Wizard of Oz by Frank L Baum. I had a copy of that with illustrations by the wonderful Lisbeth Zwerger. I also absolutely was madly in love with fairy tales like The Brothers Grimm, with my favorite such story being Hansel and Gretel. Legends, folklore, fairytales and myth are something I will always get excited to hear.

My favorite childhood book will always be Suza Scalora's The Fairies: Photographic Evidence of the Existence of Another World. The book is just breathtaking. I had it from childhood to womanhood, and came with me to college. The book was carefully preserved all the years in good condition besides me writing my name it. Unfortunately I loaned it to a friend of mine, and she lost it, but I did buy a new copy because it's a book I must keep in my house. I love this artist's work, admiration of this book has only increased with time.

I also was crazy about pop up books as a tot.

I not only revisit old favorite children's books, but find myself new ones. I bought a Child's Garden of Verses and read it for the first time as a Christmas present to myself as a grown up.

tenfrogs

mrs. van mccann
    Years
  • I was definitely in the Harry Potter crew as a child. I read Lord of the Rings at quite a young age (before I turned 13 I think?) and was a massive fan of the Artemis Fowl books. I was a very avid reader growing up, probably from as soon as I could read until I was about 13/14. Then video games slowly started replacing books, and now it seems like I just don't have the patience or time to pick one back up. It's quite upsetting but I'm hoping that with a bit of time management this year I can start reading again, I'd love to read like I did when I was a young'un!

Years
  • I've never been much of a reader, but growing up, I definitely read The Very Hungry Caterpillar at one point, and one other book that was quite close to my heart. This thread brought back my memory of it from the deepest recesses of my mind lol.

There's a Duwende (Dwarf) in My Brother's Soup!

It taught me at a very young age the concept of autism. I still remember how the kid in the story spelt it as "Otisem", and that's stuck with me since haha.

Back