• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Tutorial] How to build the Pokémon GBA decomps using WSL (Win10)

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
Years
    Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2022
    I have ran into a lot of issues while using this tutorial but I was able to get everything to work by going through the comment on this post up until the final step where I got this error

Spoiler:

dose anyone know a fix?

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • I have ran into a lot of issues while using this tutorial but I was able to get everything to work by going through the comment on this post up until the final step where I got this error

Spoiler:

dose anyone know a fix?
    Like you're told right there, "the '-j' option requires a positive integer argument".
    I think that I know what exactly is the issue. You wrote make -jN and expected it to work even though I said right there, in the very next line, that N is supposed to be a number, didn't you?
    Please do read the main post carefully.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2022
    Thank you for replying so fast I apologize for wasting your time, I did try this at one point but I don't think I have the pokeemerald file installed properly. Thank you for the great tutorial

Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2023
    Hey team, firstly want to say how appreciated it is you've kept up with this thread after so long @Lunos.

I am having difficulty @ step 5. I have successfully used "cd downloads", yet after downloading the installer from the github, running "sudo gdebi devkitpro-pacman.amd64.deb" causes the following:

---
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree... Done
    Reading state information... Done
    This package is uninstallable
    Dependency is not satisfiable: libssl1.1

---
    As it stands, I have followed instructions as directed, asides from that I am using Ubuntu 22.04 LTS. I would appreciate any/all feedback! :)

(My best guess is I needed to download something on top of devkitpro-pacman.amd64.deb. I am very unfamilar with github....)

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • Hey team, firstly want to say how appreciated it is you've kept up with this thread after so long @Lunos.

I am having difficulty @ step 5. I have successfully used "cd downloads", yet after downloading the installer from the github, running "sudo gdebi devkitpro-pacman.amd64.deb" causes the following:

---
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree... Done
    This package is uninstallable
    Dependency is not satisfiable: libssl1.1

---
    As it stands, I have followed instructions as directed, asides from that I am using Ubuntu 22.04 LTS. I would appreciate any/all feedback! :)

(My best guess is I needed to download something on top of devkitpro-pacman.amd64.deb. I am very unfamilar with github....)
    That's an interesting error. I don't think I had to go out of my way to install libssl.
    When you installed your Linux distro, did you remember to use sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade?
    If not, I imagine that's the problem, as that updates package lists and installed packages too which may involve installing new required libraries for existing packages under the hood.

If you already did that though, then try to install libssl manually through WSL by using sudo apt install libssl-dev.
    You don't need to download anything from GitHub besides the .deb package of devkitpro-pacman.

Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2023
    That's an interesting error. I don't think I had to go out of my way to install libssl.
    When you installed your Linux distro, did you remember to use sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade?
    If not, I imagine that's the problem, as that updates package lists and installed packages too which may involve installing new required libraries for existing packages under the hood.

If you already did that though, then try to install libssl manually through WSL by using sudo apt install libssl-dev.
    You don't need to download anything from GitHub besides the .deb package of devkitpro-pacman.

Hey again,

I've followed through with all the provided instructions, and I have used "sudo apt install libssl-dev". Unfortunately, I am still getting the same error. :( Cheers for your input anyways!

Years
    • Seen Dec 29, 2022
    so i followed all of the steps, but cant seem to locate any of the files or my rom. where can i find them?

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • so i followed all of the steps, but cant seem to locate any of the files or my rom. where can i find them?
    If you read the main post, you should know exactly where your ROM is.
    In the main post, the user is told to clone Pokeemerald inside a "Decomps" folder that was created by the user themself inside C:\Users\USER.
    As a result, you'll naturally find your ROM inside C:\Users\USER\Pokeemerald after you do build one following the instructions in the main post.

Years
  • Spoiler:

EDIT: Fixed! :D

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2024
    So I am still new to a lot of this.

I have seen a lot of keywords have changed since I first got the Git, is there a way to know which of my code changes will be incompatible if I was to update to the new master files?

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • So I am still new to a lot of this.

I have seen a lot of keywords have changed since I first got the Git, is there a way to know which of my code changes will be incompatible if I was to update to the new master files?
    What keywords?
    To answer the question, there isn't a way to know which parts of your code need an update until you go, pull and try to build a ROM.

Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2024
    What keywords?
    To answer the question, there isn't a way to know which parts of your code need an update until you go, pull and try to build a ROM.

I can't think of specific ones but I pulled it over a year ago.

Oh well, time to dive in and try.

Subzero Eclipse

Because I say so.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 4, 2023
    Hello! I was trying to set up WSL on my new laptop and after installing the app from the store, I get a screen (not the command line) saying "Something went wrong. Please restart wsl with the following command and try again: wsl --shutdown wsl unregister DISTRO_NAME". What should I do here? I have Windows 11 and installed the Ubuntu app with no version number. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• error.png
      error.png
      132.5 KB · Views: 8

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
    Years
  • Hello! I was trying to set up WSL on my new laptop and after installing the app from the store, I get a screen (not the command line) saying "Something went wrong. Please restart wsl with the following command and try again: wsl --shutdown wsl unregister DISTRO_NAME". What should I do here? I have Windows 11 and installed the Ubuntu app with no version number. Thanks in advance!
    I use the .appx myself, but if I were you I'd open a Windows Powershell or a Windows Command Prompt as Administrator and follow the suggestion.
    Code:
    wsl --shutdown
    wsl --unregister <distro_name>
    And then try to install it again from the store, though if that doesn't work, you can use wsl --install on Powershell and that should work nicely too.

To find out the exact name of your distro, you can use wsl -l.

Subzero Eclipse

Because I say so.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 4, 2023
    Sorry to disturb you again, but I got another problem :( For installing WSL itself, I tried doing that but I couldn't find the distro, so I managed to install the 18.04 version though (the one you mentioned in the main post) and made it work.

However, when I got to installing devkitPro it gives me errors saying "version 'GLIBC_2.28 ' not found (required by pacman-conf)" and that I don't have permission to read the pacman keyring :\

EDIT: Actually, nevermind that. After digging in the pret Discord, I found out that the version I had is outdated, apparently. So I installed 22.04 and I got it working. Sorry for the stupid questions >__<

Attachments

• error2.png
      error2.png
      60.3 KB · Views: 14
    Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 26, 2023
    unknown.png

I don't understand why this is failing...

Back