• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Please note that users with less than 6 posts will have their threads/posts go to the approval queue if it has links or messages. This counts edits made to threads/posts after they were already approved and is intentional anti-spam behavior that is unfortunately necessary. Once you reach 6 posts, this will no longer occur.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emerald hack: Pokemon R.O.W.E. - an Open World Version of Pokémon Emerald(Gen 8, Following Pokémon, Costumes and much More)

Years
    • Seen Nov 29, 2022
    Oh yes. New decomp romhack. Approved!

Pokemon R.O.W.E. - an Open World Version of Pokémon Emerald(Gen 8, Following Pokémon, Costumes and much More)

Nice to see another open world romhack. I hope it i as fun as others like Crystal Clear.

I can't play it on the Powkiddy q90 tho haha

Years
    • Seen Nov 30, 2022
    Good day everyone, today I would like to release a big update that removes the cries of all the Pokémon and adds a lot of things people asked for some time
    I'm sorry, but I think it's very stupid to remove every single pokemon cries because of "space issues" especially when you consider other huge rom hacks such as Radical Red.
    First off, I don't get how multiple cries can create space issue when its just only a second long each. I don't know about modding but I really dont think around 800 cries would have a problem with the game's space (at worse, the size of it should've been like less than 600-700 mb).
    Second, the removal of every single cries would make the Dex-nav way less fun to use. How can you find a specific rare pokemon that you want when every single pokemon has the same generic cry. That just makes the dex-nav just barely useless.
    Third, a lot of people likes to play full immersion mode. The removal of every single cries ruins this immersion mode because the pokemon doesn't feel "unique" when it use the same cry as another unrelated pokemon.
    I also think the removal of every cries is just lazy when you could fix any other things that is huge in size so that it gets reduced.
    I REALLY hope that the removal of cries in that game is just a temporary thing and not a permanent thing and that you add all the cries back after you added all the other features that may be huge in space, because I cannot play a game that has one of the principal feature removed in the rom hack. A feature that I really dont think is a bad feature.
    I really like R.O.W.E, but I think the removal of every single cries is just disappointing.

Years
    • Seen today
    at worse, the size of it should've been like less than 600-700 mb.
    Gameboy Advance games have a hardware limit of 32mb, they can't go beyond that limit anything beyond that won't be read in ANY emulator/real hardware so there is nothing that can be done in that aspect, I know some people don't like the removal of cries but saving HALF the space of the game can give a lot of freedom to the developer to add more stuff, each game has different features and not all of them should have the same ones, I will focus on adding the stuff that I think will make the game better and every developer should do the same so if not having cries is that much of a turn off maybe this game its not for you, I don't expect all the people like this game and I want to focus on an specific audience if you want to appeal to everyone your vision of the game will be affected by it and will make you have an inferior product.
    I recommend you to look at the hardware limitations of the 20+ years old Gameboy Advance so you know a little more of why some stuff can't be done.

This is my personal opinion in that matter, there are a lot of games that have cries and having one without them its not a bad thing if it was done for a reason, every game should be a different experience.

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2024
    1.I'm sorry, but I think it's very stupid to remove every single pokemon cries because of "space issues" especially when you consider other huge rom hacks such as Radical Red.

2. First off, I don't get how multiple cries can create space issue when its just only a second long each. I don't know about modding but I really dont think around 800 cries would have a problem with the game's space (at worse, the size of it should've been like less than 600-700 mb).

3. Second, the removal of every single cries would make the Dex-nav way less fun to use. How can you find a specific rare pokemon that you want when every single pokemon has the same generic cry. That just makes the dex-nav just barely useless.

4. Third, a lot of people likes to play full immersion mode. The removal of every single cries ruins this immersion mode because the pokemon doesn't feel "unique" when it use the same cry as another unrelated pokemon.

5. I also think the removal of every cries is just lazy when you could fix any other things that is huge in size so that it gets reduced.

6. I REALLY hope that the removal of cries in that game is just a temporary thing and not a permanent thing and that you add all the cries back after you added all the other features that may be huge in space, because I cannot play a game that has one of the principal feature removed in the rom hack. A feature that I really dont think is a bad feature. I really like R.O.W.E, but I think the removal of every single cries is just disappointing.

In addition to what Riolu mentioned, I've separated your lengthy rant into sections so it's easier to address.

1. What's very "stupid" about it? He saved about 16MB of rom space by removing them. I think that's a great trade off. I'd take it. Most people on the Discord would take that. It means he can include things like another region or two, new custom abilities and moves, and make all followers possible.

2. You said "I don't know about modding." That much is apparent. You're criticizing Riolu based on, like you said, 800 individual second long audio files.

3. What? Why does the cry have to be played to use Dexnav? Bind it to "R", look for shaking grass and walk to it. There's literally no need for it to be present.

4. And on the other hand, a lot more would rather have extra features. You likely know the cries of every Pokemon by now, correct? I personally think it's repetitive.

5. Lazy? What would you, a non-modder, have recommended he do to save that much space? If you're going to criticize his decision, give an alternative. Sounds a bit, IDK, lazy on your part not to.

6. Don't count on it. Don't like it? That's fine. You didn't make the game, therefore have no ability to say what goes and what stays. ROWE has so many features and yet, you're nitpicking on something like an audio file.

All in all, you basically said the EXACT same thing throughout the rant. "It's lazy", It's stupid", etc.

Sazandora800

Hydreigon enthusiast
    Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2023
    I'm one of those people disappointed by the removal of cries since I feel they add a certain charm to some pokémon, and having them all either use a generic noise or no sound at all just makes me feel like there's something very important missing here. And seeing how you immediately fill up the newly-freed space with new following pokémon, in a hack where the follower system is honestly soulless compared to how wonderful it was in HeartGold/SoulSilver (really, every pokemon giving you the same reaction regardless of environment or species or type or anything?), just feels insulting. I'd rather have the follower system be removed instead, it feels gutted and just hollow compared to the myriads of unique reactions you can get from your pokémon in HG/SS.

And adding all that on top of a list of issues I've previously had with this hack just makes it too hard for me to want to continue with it. I've had a lot of fun with this hack and it's been very frustrating at times, without any sort of story content to this hack it's all just a bland speedrun to get to the Pokémon League because there's not much else to do. I've filled up the Pokédex as far as it can go, I did as many gym rematches as I could before they all bugged up and they refused to rematch me again, I've done everything I can think of and while I adore the changes in this hack to make many of my favorite pokémon not be utter garbage in the endgame, for giving me the chance to try out gen 6+ pokémon without having to play the 3DS games or Sword/Shield (and boy am I thankful for that), but if this is how you're going to go with this hack then I am throwing in the towel.

This has been my two cents, I'll stick to grinding the Battle Tower in version 1.7.5 until I lose interest in it. Good day and good luck to you all.

Years
    • Seen today
    I'm one of those people disappointed by the removal of cries since I feel they add a certain charm to some pokémon, and having them all either use a generic noise or no sound at all just makes me feel like there's something very important missing here. And seeing how you immediately fill up the newly-freed space with new following pokémon, in a hack where the follower system is honestly soulless compared to how wonderful it was in HeartGold/SoulSilver (really, every pokemon giving you the same reaction regardless of environment or species or type or anything?), just feels insulting. I'd rather have the follower system be removed instead, it feels gutted and just hollow compared to the myriads of unique reactions you can get from your pokémon in HG/SS.

And adding all that on top of a list of issues I've previously had with this hack just makes it too hard for me to want to continue with it. I've had a lot of fun with this hack and it's been very frustrating at times, without any sort of story content to this hack it's all just a bland speedrun to get to the Pokémon League because there's not much else to do. I've filled up the Pokédex as far as it can go, I did as many gym rematches as I could before they all bugged up and they refused to rematch me again, I've done everything I can think of and while I adore the changes in this hack to make many of my favorite pokémon not be utter garbage in the endgame, for giving me the chance to try out gen 6+ pokémon without having to play the 3DS games or Sword/Shield (and boy am I thankful for that), but if this is how you're going to go with this hack then I am throwing in the towel.

This has been my two cents, I'll stick to grinding the Battle Tower in version 1.7.5 until I lose interest in it. Good day and good luck to you all.

There seems to be a misunderstanding about the space freed from cries and followers, adding followers did not fill all the space that was freed, there is a lot of space left from that and it will be used to add more stuff like new maps, graphics, music, more followers and more stuff that's planned for the future, It takes time to add those and I have been busy with irl stuff (plus I'm the only dev) so please have patience for this to be added, I will take your feedback into consideration but the cries will not be coming back (atleast not in a lot of devices)

Just some numbers so people know a little more about the space thing since I think I have not mentioned it here in pokecommunity
    The game with cries + around 80 followers = around 31mb
    The game without cries + most kanto maps + 800 followers(all of them are already in the game but need to be fixed) = 21mb
    GBA cart limit = 32mb

Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2023
    This is somewhat of a random question, but if the DS games ever get decomp'd, would it be theoretically possible to port all R.O.W.E.'s features to them? It's already filled to the brim with features and if it wasn't necessary to start from scratch but rather add more stuff thanks to a less limited space that would be amazing.

Also do you plan to ever add a Pocket Center to the game? The PC can be pretty cumbersome.

Regardless, great job! Easily my favorite romhack!

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 28, 2024
    Honestly this is still my favorite romhack, purely because of Exiolite.

Also, dunno if this is a bug or a limitation in the engine, but Cherrim doesn't transform on sunny weather. And speaking of Cherrim, would it be possible to add a unique Cherrim that's already in sunshine form with a special/different ability, maybe as a Mystery Gift pokemon? I know this will probably be low priority but still... I'm still not a huge fan of its default form and this way it wouldn't mess up the default Cherrim by being a unique pokemon.

Last edited:

Kyugansh

Kyugansh
    Years
    • Seen Dec 3, 2022
    Hey guys i love the game everything about is just soo good but i want to know someone knows how to get the tm for drain punch or is it even in the game. Isaw there is an achievement for it but don't know how to do that so if you can tell me it will be a great help and also I want to report something that my gallade don't learn drain punch even with tutor a tm move even though it on the pokedex list of it can help me with its plz I really want to teach my gallade drain punch thank you

Years
    • Seen Dec 4, 2022
    i just finished my first playthrough. very fun, although the game gets almost impossible at the end. especially on normal mode where stats cap at lvl 80. but i still beat it!
    i have a few suggestions though.
    if you could possibly add a cheat feature that would be amazing, similar to other Pokémon emerald romhacks, or at least a sandbox mode.
    another thing. if you could possibly add a feature to disable trainer level scaling in new game plus that would be awesome.
    i unfortunately had to delete my new save plus file because of this, it really turned me off when pokemon on regular trainers are 5 levels higher then me with 4 Pokémon. i basically had to use mewtwo to do anything.
    im not too bummed about the cries as it didn't really affect my gameplay,
    i noticed malimares ability in the elite 4 broke my game a lot. caused a lot of glitches.
    if you could make pokeballs cheaper like 50$ that would be awesome
    the new game plus feature is amazing that i get to keep my pokemon and restart
    i love love LOVE the wonder trade feature, im not sure how many Pokémon it can pull from but ive gotten really good varity.
    a gym type randomizer mode would be amazing. randomized gym teams based off all 18 types.
    a feature to buy pokemon or generate it with ingame cheats like other emerald roms.
    a pc in menu.
    and that would make this game want me to play for dayz and when you add kanto thats gonna be so exciting.

PS. iff you could add a way we could set regions for pokemon we want to encounter, like johto pokemon only kanto only kanto and kalos only or like be able to select on and off wich gen we want present.

id like to start with kanto then play though 8 times to galar region

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 31, 2024
    Hey guys i love the game everything about is just soo good but i want to know someone knows how to get the tm for drain punch or is it even in the game. Isaw there is an achievement for it but don't know how to do that so if you can tell me it will be a great help and also I want to report something that my gallade don't learn drain punch even with tutor a tm move even though it on the pokedex list of it can help me with its plz I really want to teach my gallade drain punch thank you

All TMs are obtainable. I think it has to do with the mock battles in the Poke Center. Maybe 25 normal difficulty battles?

Years
    • Seen today
    Merry Christmas everyone, today I would like to bring you a little update that fixes some stuff and modifies the Battle UI a little along with some changes that hopefully everyone likes and a new mystery gift, here is the changelog:
    Changelog 1.8.1.2
    -Added the Followers up to Seismitoad and fixed Wailord follower sprite
    -Modified the Battle UI to be able to see more information like if the move is Physical or Special, Move Power, Move Accuracy, Move effectiveness and now it shows the Type Icons instead of text
    (For some of this information you need to press the L Button on the Move Selection Page)
    -You can now see the Exp. on the Summary Screen
    -Some wild encounter modifications(Mainly in the safari zone)
    -Fixed New Game+ not giving you some Key Items at the start and gave them to every existing new game + save
    -Created some new signature moves for Delibird, Lucario, Galvantula and Slaking/Slakoth
    -Present is now a Normal Type version of Pollen Puff
    -Some fixes and changes

Download link and Patcher:
    https://belialclover.github.io/Rowe-Patcher/

May all of you have a happy holidays.

Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2023
    I don't know if you're still looking for glitches and stuff, but I think I found a couple.

The level of my level 19 sandshrew isn't visible on the pokemon menu. Everyone else's levels are visible, though. Also, rollout doesn't always increase in damage. It seems like it usually increases on the second turn, but doesn't seem to beyond that.

Years
    • Seen May 31, 2024
    I don't know if you're still looking for glitches and stuff, but I think I found a couple.

The level of my level 19 sandshrew isn't visible on the pokemon menu. Everyone else's levels are visible, though. Also, rollout doesn't always increase in damage. It seems like it usually increases on the second turn, but doesn't seem to beyond that.

It seems that Echoed Voice does the same. It should normally increase by 40 BP every consecutive use. I'll forward this onto Riolu.

Years
    • Seen today
    Good day everyone ,today I would like to bring a little bugfix update that should fix the New Game+ Issue we had for a while along with some move changes, here is the changelog

Spoiler:

Download link and Patcher:
    https://belialclover.github.io/Rowe-Patcher/

All the documentation will be merged in this spreadsheet for easier use
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KLZzrJXDfLtjz7LQKneX0y6b42z8GKOC8DfBNxYqMM0/edit?usp=sharing

This is because the power for certain moves is limited at the start of the game, so rollout caps at 60bps

Last edited:
    Back