• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
I somehow felt like posting this map I just made

Map Name: Route 24
Game: Fire Red
Hack: Legend of Fenju (Gaoya)
Comments: The first Route of Gaoya, you enter it from the cave.
This is the first map of the third region of my hack i made.
It's supposed to look very crowded, like as if the player was going through a light forest.
Mapshot:
Spoiler:

Credits: PHO
Im not sure about the trees... who made them?
I think Disturbed was slightly too harsh there. :\

Well, the mountain basically needs another one on top to not look dodgy, so there're marks taken off for that. Also, the trees being diagonally jointed looks kinda annoying. :\ Otherwise, the shape is beautiful and...well...not much more to say.

The playability does factor majorly into my rating of maps as, unless explicitly stated, all these maps are meant for hacks, so people will actually play through them. When playing through them, beauty is no factor and players could care less that the map is square. That's why Nintendo's Routes are so great to play through Anyway, this map looks pretty pretty from the whole view, but in-game it might be a tad annoying, I see you've tried to make the grass in patches, which is good, but in a couple of places, the player has barely room to move. I'd suggest removing a couple of the smaller trees. I realise this is meant to be a jammed-up forest, so it didn't have that many marks removed. The total score, I guess, would be:

7.5/10

I have a new map. The newest Deisa Forest!
Spoiler:

And the new Averus City - now with tiles that aren't going to get me lower marks!
Spoiler:

Last edited:

TB Pro

Old-timer
Years
I somehow felt like posting this map I just made

Map Name: Route 24
Game: Fire Red
Hack: Legend of Fenju (Gaoya)
Comments: The first Route of Gaoya, you enter it from the cave.
This is the first map of the third region of my hack i made.
It's supposed to look very crowded, like as if the player was going through a light forest.
Mapshot:
Spoiler:

Credits: PHO
Im not sure about the trees... who made them?
Rating 6/10
Why the Heck? First off, I noticed the mountains look really dodgy. I think they would look a ton better if you kinda wrapped them around to the top and bottom, instead of just being a straight-ish ledge off to one side. You could have also added another level to them, just to give it a little better feel, or such things. The tree shape is...erm...good, but I noticed EVERY single tree is diagonal to the one abouve and below it, which looks a bit lazy/not so beautiful. Another thing, is the grass. The grass is a little too, hum, blocky I guess. You should disperse it more, and kinda make it more patchy, if ya dig me. I think a little more path between the two you already have would be in order, to give a show of direction, ya dig? There's also a small deal with empty space, but it's not bad, I guess. Overall, it's quite nice, but it has some flaws.

Makorin

Ex-ROM Hacker
Years
Map Name: Gentah Town
Map Game: Fire Red (BPRE)
Mapshot:
GENTAHTOWN30Offical.jpg

Comments: This map is a town in my hack Pokemon Ruby Red
Well this is the starting town in the Haltar Region.
Spoiler:

Credits: Pounder_Zeikku - Tiles
Me - Palettes

Re-post since i got skipped, yet again...
although this time ive gotten an edited map!

Last edited:
Years
I finally finished a map I spent forever on......

The map is LARGE... just a warning.

Spoiler:

I'm thinking of trying to make a hack again... ;) not announced yet.

Please tell me what you think!

Neti

Inactive
Years
Well, Neti... here comes my rating :\

Natural Feeling
With the tiles used, it seems to me like not all of them seem to fit properly. I'm basically saying that the tiles used are used poorly. As I glance closer to the map, I notice something odd. The trees only connect diagonally. I realize you're trying to make a natural map, but this is the furthest possible way of doing so. You need to atleast have a couple of spots where the trees connect vertically. Let's look at the cave entrance now. They usually look really, and I mean really bad if there isn't another mountain/cliff above it. By the looks of this map, you definitely could have done so, *looks to the mountains on the left* and it would have looked a lot better.

Now for me to move onto the diversity of tiles. I only rank on the ones shown in the map... Let's start with the smaller trees. They seem to be used nicely, when not in pairs, which was done multiple times on this map. This should really be fixed, and can easily be done so by a mere two block edits. Moving on to the wild grass. This is done very poorly. Now, if you look at it, the wild grass used does not fit well with the other wild grass, therefor causing an unneeded diversity among them. I would recommend sticking to one patch, or using more than one, in which cases, they match. I'll move onto the flowers now. These are poorly done. Flowers grow in patches, 80% of the time. (Estimate :D) Also, in this map, there is not only a lack of flowers in those patches, but there are a lack of flowers in particular! Meaning, you might want to consider adding 5 more at a minimum. I also notice on this map, you do not use a diversity of normal grass, which is a major turn off for me. Another thing I wish to mention, is that the sand patches do not seem to fit. I would recommend the faded grass pathway. And finally, I move onto the backdrops on the mountains. They aren't done correctly, sorry to say. There are specific tiles for using those. (That is meant for the backdrop going INTO a corner)

Now, I will move onto the positives of the natural feeling. Notice that there is a lot less than there is in the negatives section. This is because people like me seek out the negatives, not the positives.
Well, the shape is wonderfully done. I love how the trees used in this map swerve around, making there never be a dull moment, visually. The mountain shape is spectacular, making it feel natural.

Playability
Playability is the biggest factor in a map, when playing a hack. If the playability sucks, then overall, the map sucks. Regardless of how amazing it looks from a view, if the playability is poor, the map is poor.

Now, I'm sorry to say, your playability is very poor. This map is way too filled with things that the player would have to navigate around, or through. Typically, that would be considered a major flaw to many hackers I know. I would highly recommend removing trees blocking your path, and just leaving the player with a good, clean area to go through. There is still ways to prevent the emptiness, by perhaps adding more pathways, giving more wildgrass, and even flowers and bushes can help!

Overall Rating:
With what is said above, I am giving this map a 5.1/10.
haha i didnt get such a bad rating for a very long time :p thx a lot
now i got a lot of stuff to correct xD

just a quick note on austinias map: brilliant ^^
ncie tiles and palettes!

Hiche..

Years
  • Seen Dec 27, 2014
Map Name: None.

Map Game: FR/LG

Comments: I tried to make everything perfect. Grass, tree shadows etc. It took me over an hour to make it.

Mapshot:

Spoiler:

I have spotted quite a number of tile errors. Errors in the paths, trees shadowing..
Here are the errors:
Spoiler:

But overall, the map is very nice. Some empty spaces only.

Years
I finally finished a map I spent forever on......

The map is LARGE... just a warning.

Spoiler:

I'm thinking of trying to make a hack again... ;) not announced yet.

Please tell me what you think!

On contrary to neti's generous and very descriptive comments, i think you should keep the ice thing with small maps and stuff. And with icy mountains an trees... Keep off that too.
Didnt d/p teach you anything with that thick snowness?

Snow kills trees and trees that are are evergreen dont grow like crazy :| if you want to use it alot, use it to build a clear path, show different areas, but dont just put it anywhere because you dont know what fits there :/

Remember that you have ledges, deep snow, light snow, slipperu ice, water, mountains, caves, grass and other oddities before you look at the trees... Use trees to block off areas, make some areas more distinct, and make others less distinct; to create a natural environment, etc.

WAYYY too many trees, houses are placed badly, mountains have too many things :(

When making a mountain, male it like a cave that grows little trees and grass and flowers... Dont make something that has more trees then viridian forest. And the trees you have is too much for a forest aswell >.>
Also, the smaller trees hardly fit where you placed them.
No offence, but the tiles are getting boring (nati wth?) and you havent thought about it from a realistic p.o.v.

Its too frustrating and boring to walk in your map. If this was used... Id sooner delete the rom then give it another chance.

3/10

Even 3 is generous (sorry, but for a town map, its true.) though effort counts more then anything.

I suggest you pay more attention to realistic-ness, house planning, grass and tree usage (decrease it), and lay off custom, fancy tiles until you get better with fire red's default tiles. (remember to use the block editor though)

Last edited:

Pokepal17

More cowbell~
Years
map.png

rate please?

Nice! 8/10 - There is a cave entrance which doesn't look right since it doesn't have a cave tile above it. You also have tree shading errors (well everyone gets them)
______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Plz rate these two maps.
Map 1- Route 1 from my hack

Map2 - Route 2 from my hack (sorry I couldn't fot it all in - in the rest of the left is the rest of the dock, some other blocking rocks and more water)

Credits to:
Nintendo/Gamefreak
Kyledove
Pounder_Zeikku
The Womanizer
Green Charizard
Alistair
And myself (I revamped the headbutt trees)

Last edited:

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
Route 1 off my Hack(Flowing Blue)
Rom edit off Fire Red
newroute1oa0.png

Rates

Way. Too. Much. Grass. Can you imagine walking in that? And look! If you come back, you walk in even more! Loses both playability and beauty.

Anyway, some of the tree shading is done wrong.

I'd suggest to try and decrease the amount of grass to a small number of patches.

5/10

TB Pro

Old-timer
Years
Way. Too. Much. Grass. Can you imagine walking in that? And look! If you come back, you walk in even more! Loses both playability and beauty.

I'd suggest to try and decrease the amount of grass to a small number of patches.

5/10
There is such a thing as lowering the encounter ratio, you know. Anyways, I give it 3.5/10.

Years
Route 1 off my Hack(Flowing Blue)
Rom edit off Fire Red
newroute1oa0.png

Rates

5/10

The grass is okay; there's just a tree overload.

This is a message to everyone.

Watch where and how you place your trees. you don't want to block off the whole road and annoy the player.

Tree shading isnt a big issue as its easily fixed and yhh.

Your flowers and grass patchwork looks bad like my one in Celebi Town.

Dont use random trainer sprites because I doubt a fisherman would hang out in the middle of a forest :/ Okay, his magikarp are easy to beat, but he's got no interest in a place with no body of water; maybe put a pond or something next to him so he fits, or change him to something that suits early-game: A youngster.

Your metal sign, is good to use in towns and cities, and some huge routes, but for a starting route, something shabby, wooden, less eye-catching would do the job; AKA; the wooden sign :D

Remember to alternate between those two because it makes it look more professional. (Unless ofcourse, your storyline is where the whole region is poor or something)

Trees, Trees, Trees TREES urghh! hey thats me!
Dont place them randomly, dont overuse them :3
End of story. Also, remember that you can use rows of the small trees! I dont see why today's romhacking community love big trees that obstruct movement >.>

If you want to stop movement, make the map bigger, or throw in alot more trainers. People dont like having to find their way through a map that only gives room for one person at a time, with random ninjas popping out with something like a metapod o.o

If youre making a maze: Rare pokemon; trainers with high EXP pokemon.

Also, mazes dont come in early-game o.o

4/10.

Good for annoying. just remove a few trees, fix your flowers, add some water or change him to a youngster, maybe even make the entry for that route from the left, iono. Just experiment ;)

If it was easier to move around in, then it'd be something like a 7 or 8.

Oh, on a side note, not many people like long ledges :/ Make them smaller.

Last edited:

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
Watch where and how you place your trees. you don't want to block off the whole road and annoy the player.

That's not a tree overload. It's a mixture of over-sized ledges and too much grass. There aren't that many trees - and they aren't obstructive. They're only in the way because the ledges block the road. :\

Last edited:

TheNerdyPotato

Feraligatr is actually a Croc!
Years
I finally understand criticism and how mean it sounds

Mmmmmkay.

I'ma repost ma mapz for youse to see.

Deisa Forest:
Spoiler:
Averus City:
Spoiler:

:D
Okay the first map gets a 7 because the path is just plain weird, the grass is a little too ockword and there is WAY too much of it. Also, the entrance and exit are way too close to eachother and are not typically found on the same side.
Now the second map...
In the top parts of the map for example the right, the trees are too square, and the houses look very srange and really hard to look at, I just cannot stand to look at them. There are tree shading errors, and the mountain looks really weird, meaning it does not fit the map at all. The spaces between trees are just plain unusual because the player cannot access those areas so you do not need spaces in between border trees. The houses are symmetrical which is bad, the entrance makes little sense, and lastly the grss tile is odd. The idea of this map is quite good, a seaside city is awesome, just needs work. I give it a final score of 6

Now here is my map, it is the Chowai Gym Cavern from my FR hack, Pokemon Scars of Fire Version!
The Gym Leader is a very "Cool" guy and is one with the ice.
To prove it even more, his gym is directly connected and even inside of an icy cavern, which has stability issues.
Down below, connectd by a ladder, is a more "trainer suited" environment.
Believe it or not, because of the complaining of the gym trainers, the leader used his strenght and his pokemon along with the whole town to make a lower level of the cave (not done yet lol) that has been remodled and looks more like a real gym than the leaders version does.
Anyways, it is supposed to be a huge puzzle and be frustrating to the player, and to make it less frustrating, once you beat the leader, or before if you can withstand the puzzle oncemore, is a convenient warp that places you in front of the entrance!
Oh and if you are frustrated and start to get mad, do not worry that was my intention on this map, all I want to do is make it harder, do not forget to reply ppl!
P.S.
If you have a good idea for a border block that would be great because I just have 4 rocks for mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back