• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 19, 2021
    I haven't posted a map here in a long time:

Map of: Fire Red
    Map for: Tensai's Secret
    Credit: iPro, Kyledove, Saurav, Alistair
    Spoiler:
    Of course, I was skipped yet again. :<

Years
  • Here's to 3,000 posts in the Map Rating Thread!
    Spoiler:

Oh geez. Well, let's start, shall we?

Section 1: Aesthetics

Well, I am going to start with the trees. Some of them are placed wonderfully. Others are not. The row of trees at the top is belongs in the "not" section. Seriously, a map of that size should not have a straight row of trees that size. Now, about the scattered trees throughout the playing part of the map. A good amount of them are a good thing, but too much of them are a bad thing. You, unfortunately, used too many. Though it might look good if you had different tree tiles, using the same one hundreds of times throughout a map can be an eyesore. So, it would be a good idea if you either cut back on using those ones, or tried using different ones (But it would be a good idea to remove a good amount anyway, more details later). The placement of those, on the other hand, is excellent. nice job on that.

Trees: 5/10

Now, here comes the part on grass and flowers. Your deployment of trees seriously hinders this one. the gras placement is decent. The grass, though, has the same problems as the trees: it is too abundant. Besides that, it is okay to make the occasional large area of grass. Another problem, though, is that there are no breaks in the grass. For the flowers, they are too scattered. Flowers will usually grow in closer clumps than in very spread out locations.

Grass & Flowers: 6/10

Now onto mountains, paths, and ledges. First off, the mountains are done beautifully. All continuity is correct, they have an excellent shape, and are good in size. Ledges, on the other hand, can use a bit of work. For one, there are not that many. For a very mountainous map, there should really be more. Second, the ones you do have are straight (mostly) and small. For the paths, there are none. Seriously, there need to be some. It really adds to the map.

Mountains, Ledges, and Paths 7/10

Let's now talk about the water, shall we? First off, the use of the dark and regular ocean tiles is excellent. It is not one straight line, nor is it too close to the shore. Now, the water rocks are a different story. For one, there are way too many, as with the trees and the grass. I will give you, though, that used the variety of them excellently.

Water: 7/10

Next comes additional details, like fences and things. Well, there really isn't much to rate here. The fences are good the way they are. The signs, though, are blocking the walking area, though.

Additional Details: 8/10

Section 2: Playability
    Yes, I also judge on playability, even though the map is not likely to go into a hack.

Well, the first thing to judge on is walking area, I suppose. Becasue of the amount of trees, you do not really give the player enough room to walk at all. They are way too conjested, and some movement errors could occur if moving NPCs were placed in the map.

Moving Area: 0/10

The next thing to talk about is the difficulty. Now, having a difficult map is not a bad thing, but too difficult a map is. This map is too difficult. Because of the very restricted walking in this map, traversing it is already difficult enough, and having to navigate through this maze would not show any good design at all, though it does show thought.

Difficulty: 2/10

Another thing to judge on is the placement of NPCs. I see almost no areas where could put one. there are maybe three places to put an item, and absolutely no place to put trainers. If an NPC was placed in this map, it would either block a path that you would need to use to get through, or it would be completely unavoidable (though a few unavoidable NPCs are okay).

Possible NPC Arrangement: 0/10

The last one in this section is the factor of running into wild Pokémon. I am going to say that you can run into Pokémon way too easily. There is way too much grass in this map. It is okay to have a couple of barren (or bald, as I like to call it) patches in the map. That way, you get a small break from running into Pokémon. I will give you one thing, though: you do force people to run into wild Pokémon.

Wild Pokémon Factor: 5/10

Section 3: Sprite Usage

First I am going to talk about tile errors. I noticed one puny error, as shown below.
    Map Rating/Review Thread

I understand this is unavoidable, so I am not taking any score off for it. That, and the error is so miniscule.

Tile Errors: 5/5

Finally, the end comes to tile usage. Well, as I have explained throughout the review, you use way too much of things, or in some cases, you do not use anything. You could have used the FR/LG tileset quite well, but you did not.

Tile/Palette Usage: 0/5

Final Judgement

Trees: 5/10
    Grass & Flowers: 6/10
    Mountains, Ledges, and Paths 7/10
    Water: 7/10
    Additional Details: 8/10
    Moving Area: 0/10
    Difficulty: 2/10
    Possible NPC Arrangement: 0/10
    Wild Pokémon Factor: 5/10
    Tile Errors: 5/5
    Tile/Palette Usage: 0/5

Total: 50/100 F

Last edited:

colcolstyles

Yours truly
    Years
  • Wow. Thank you. I really do appreciate ratings with such close inspection to detail. Good job spotting that tile error! Although it actually is fixable. I'm gonna do that as soon as I get home!
    You were completely fair and just in your analysis. Everything you pointed out I remember thinking about when making that map but I never got around to fixing them. I will go back and redo this map, taking all of your comments into consideration. And for future maps, I'll be sure to remember those tips.
    Once again, I thank you. If I ever post another map, I'd love it for you to rate it!

P.S. I love your tiles!

Surf

Years
    • Age 29
    • Rust
    • Seen Jul 31, 2011
    Ok, My map.
    I know I included my NPC's, but that is to show where they are.

Map Name : Route A
    Tiles Used : Fire Red Default
    Spoiler:

Hmm nice map Omega very simple
    I guess i'm a sucker for the craters.
    But i spoted a tile error that was unavodable but could have been made with a different tile
    however i'll give 8.5\10

Pichu Kun. said:
    I haven't posted a map here in a long time:

Map of: Fire Red
    Map for: Tensai's Secret
    Credit: iPro, Kyledove, Saurav, Alistair
    Map Rating/Review Thread

Why'd you credit Alistar you didn't use his tiles in this map?
    Anyway being a simple map I reall don't know what to say.
    It's kinda plan but it good that you used two different tree tiles.
    It looks like you tred too cram all the detail into the middle.
    And those bushes on the path don't look right.
    And lastly that tree up the top there is pointless and makes it look worse than what I allready pointed out.
    6.5\10

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
    Years
  • Hmm nice map Omega very simple
    I guess i'm a sucker for the craters.
    But i spoted a tile error that was unavodable but could have been made with a different tile
    however i'll give 8.5\10

TILE ERROR!?!? WHERE!!!!!!]

Please tell me where these things are so I can fix them...

I see the flower there in the middle, I'll fix it later, lol.
    Is there anything else?
    If there is please tell me, this is going in a hack so I gotta get it right!.

Last edited:

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
    Years
  • Map name: Granite Cave
    Base ROM: Firered English (BPRE)
    Hack: Pokemon Turquoise
    Mapshot:
    Map Rating/Review Thread

Comments: The small cave with an entrance leads you to the entrance in the center of the map. Of course, there is something in between. The part with the hole has a Strenght boulder in front of it, so you can't enter so soon.
    Credits: no credits

Neti

Inactive
    Years
  • Hi everybody
    Since my old Map Rating System produced too good ratings in my eyes I remade it.
    So here it is:

Netis Map Rating System V1.1

Map Rating/Review Thread

As you can see, there are 50 points maximum now (the old one had 25 max).
    Also, it is harder to reach the ratings Good and Stunning!

Feel free to use and refer to it!
    You can download an excel file here that lets you create ratings with it easily. It also contains the guideline.
    You can download it here: Netis Map Rating System V1.1.1
    You need Microsoft Excel or OpenOffice Calc to open this! (I didn't test OpenOffice Calc, but there shouldn't be differences)
    There are no differences in the guideline in V1.1 and V1.1.1, but in V1.1.1 you can add the Map Name, the Author and your name so others know who rated the map if the image is posted somewhere else.

I will introduce it with a rating as soon as somebody else posts. I dont want to put the rating into this post, cause it will be linked in my signature so everybody can look it up.

Last edited:

Coral

IceCharizard's brother
    Years
  • Map name: Granite Cave
    Base ROM: Firered English (BPRE)
    Hack: Pokemon Turquoise
    Mapshot:
    Map Rating/Review Thread

Comments: The small cave with an entrance leads you to the entrance in the center of the map. Of course, there is something in between. The part with the hole has a Strenght boulder in front of it, so you can't enter so soon.
    Credits: no credits
    i like map, is very good :rambo:
    i like brown rocks i didn't see in firered
    please make more map s
    i like you map s

10 from 10

Neti

Inactive
    Years
  • Rating of NeoNemesis' Map

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:

Comments:
    I like the style, simplicity and quiteness of this map.
    By the way: You can't shock me with the words "I had to do over 10 Block Edits". I made 4 RomBases so far (2 published) and I made over 200 Blocks completely new for each of them^^
    Let's get into detail on the points where you didnt get 100%.

Idea: Well, a Remake doesn't have a lot to do with a great idea... that's why you didnt get 100%.

Variety of tiles: The Tiles you used look brillinat in my opinion, but you should have placed some rocks on the land as well to make it look better.
    Also, the old Pokecenter tiles don't fit very well with the new tiles.

Natural Sense: Two things here: The 3 Rocks in the water that form a line and the trees that stand in rows.
    You could have spread the rocks around the water a bit more, that would look much better.
    For the trees, you could have done 4 more block edits to get diagonal tree tiles. If you combine both types of "tree-behind-tree" tiles it would ook way better.

Map Structure: Your map is supposed to be simple and you reached that pretty well.
    But the last two points of the Map Structure are for complex layouts like the ones colcolstyles routes always have :p

No Tile Errors: I've spotted one error, but maybe somebody *Disturbed* will find more, im not very good in spotting tile errors xD
    Spoiler:

Rating of Tropical Sunlight's Map

Spoiler:

Comments:
    Pretty well done, you're extremely close to a Stunning rating!
    So let's just start with the things that took the 11% away.

Idea: Well... The idea is a cave, there is nothing very special about it...

No straight lines: You did pretty well, but at some parts you could have done it better, e.g. in the bottom right.

No Tile Error: It's nothing heavy, just minor stuff...
    Spoiler:

~Teh Panda~

Back in hacktion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2022
    Map Name: Endigo Canyon.
    Why?: Its the second map of when you go back in time in my hack Underground.

Pic:

Map Rating/Review Thread

.Seth

.explorer.
    Years
  • Map:
    Spoiler:

Purpose: None really.
    Hack: Mine, but if you'd like to use it just ask.
    Credits:
    iPro.: Tiles

Info: It's a farm-type map. It's got a shed in the back, and the little mountain in the back is a dirt pile. Also, the pin in the back holds a miltank.

EDIT: I've changed up the map. Sorry for those who rated it. Please rerate. Thank you. '^^

Last edited:

~Teh Panda~

Back in hacktion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2022
    Map:
    Spoiler:

Credits:

Info: It's a farm-type map. It's got a shed in the back, and the little mountain in the back is a dirt pile. Also, the pin in the back holds a miltank.

First of all i really like this rom base :D iPro is masterful a graphical hacking and that makes me like your map even more. The only thing I don't like is the lack of a path to the buildings. Other wise it is very nice.

I will give it an 8/10

Years
  • Map:
    Spoiler:

Credits:

i see a tile error near the sign post right next to the house,and grass shoudn't be in a town but the map shape is ok.
    I give it a 5/10

.Seth

.explorer.
    Years
  • First of all i really like this rom base :D iPro is masterful a graphical hacking and that makes me like your map even more. The only thing I don't like is the lack of a path to the buildings. Other wise it is very nice.

I will give it an 8/10

i see a tile error near the sign post right next to the house,and grass shoudn't be in a town but the map shape is ok.
    I give it a 5/10

Hey guys, you're rating the wrong map!
    I've fixed the errors, and changed up the map a good bit.
    Please rerate.
    Sorry about that. '^^

Years
  • Map:
    Spoiler:

Credits:

EDIT: I've changed up the map. Sorry for those who rated it. Please rerate. Thank you. '^^
    Ok then im rerating the map, well scince you fixed the tile error i'll give you a 7/10 but i think you should take away the grass, do more block editing so you save some space, then do a nice path and add some flowers too.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 19, 2021
    Map:
    Spoiler:

Credits:

Nice job Seth.

Spoiler:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back