• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitchel1

Rom-hacker/scripter
Years
  • Map Name: Kiioro City.
    Game: Fire Red
    Commant: I made this map for my hack, Pokemon Thunder Emblem (do not steal!). I'm inproving my old maps from beta 1.0. Rate this map, please. maby also report the map bugs or what i could add?
    Thnx in advance
    Map:
    Spoiler:

--------------------------------------------
    ~Mitchel1

Years
  • Map Name: Kiioro City.
    Commant: I made this map for my hack, Pokemon Thunder Emblem (do not steal!). I'm inproving my old maps from beta 1.0. Rate this map, please. maby also report the map bugs or what i could add?
    Thnx in advance
    Map:
    Spoiler:

~Mitchel1
    Well Mitchel your maps keep on getting better, the shape is ok, house placement is awesome, but 1 thing you can improve is the shape of the water because there too straight but it's still a good map.
    I give it a 8/10.

Makorin

Ex-ROM Hacker
    Years
  • Map Name: Gentah Town
    Map Game: Fire Red (BPRE)
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

Comments: This map is a town in my hack Pokemon Ruby Red
    Well this is the starting town in the Haltar Region.
    Spoiler:

Credits: Pounder_Zeikku - Tiles
    Me - Palettes

пзо

zzirRusty
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2010
    Map//Ugh..

Ugh.. Route one;
    Map for Fire Red; or Pokemon Obsidian..
    And I'd like to say, There is one tile error I can see at the bottom of this map.
    Please dont be like "ERROR ALERT" and start killing me about it.
    Also, try to rate the Pal's//Ugh thanks.

Map Rating/Review Thread

WindBlows

It's been a long time!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 5, 2023
    Map Name: Kiioro City.
    Thnx in advance
    Map:
    Spoiler:

~Mitchel1

Tiles: 9/10. Because I love Kyledove tiles and most of them are Kyledove tiles.
    Palettes: 6/10. I don't like these palettes. The trees are so dark and the grass... uhmm is okay.
    Map structure and shape: 4/10. Well, the map is TOO square and also, how does the ship can get out of there? There no exit and also there's a bridge that blocks the road to the ship. Or maybe the ship is a kind of Museum? Or Something? xD Also it is overloaded of houses, so maybe it can confuse the player.
    Tile Errors: 10/10. I didn't notice any, so I guess it is good. But you could remove some houses and try to put only one kind of tree or several kind of trees but make sure they are similar (in shape I mean).

Rating: F. 5/10.
    I think you really need to improve your mapping since is one of the most importans things in hacking. Anyways, I know you can do it, you only need a lot of practice.

GFS

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Apr 14, 2009
    Map Name: Kiioro City.
    Thnx in advance
    Map:
    Spoiler:

~Mitchel1

Hmm interesting map tiles and palletes
    But thats not what I'm rating
    Basically this map is a mess.
    The bridge tiles infront of the buildings is just plain wrong.
    And theres no where for the ship to leave.
    3.5\10

Years
  • Ugh.. Route one;
    Map for Fire Red; or Pokemon Obsidian..
    And I'd like to say, There is one tile error I can see at the bottom of this map.
    Please dont be like "ERROR ALERT" and start killing me about it.
    Also, try to rate the Pal's//Ugh thanks.

Map Rating/Review Thread

Its very good and the design; I love it :3

I suck at making montanious stuff so yeah.. XDD

Umm, one thing I'd reccomend is that you go out of your way to make custom blocks (see all those black boxes you can put in the map; thats how you make them useful :3)

Ever since Thrace explained to me that he didnt like rom bases, I had a look; and decided I didnt like them either.

Another thing to think about.

overall, a 6.5/10 because your little errors are noticeable

0m3GA ARS3NAL

Im comin' home...
    Years
  • Another map by me.
    Map Name: Hazel Beach
    Description A Popular Beach often visited by tourists. Out on a small island lives an old man who loves to exercise, so he moved there to tan, swim, and look at the ladies... XD
    There are no tile errors, since the whole map is surrounded by connections, since my game has a more open feel to it, instead of just following routes.
    Rom: Fire Red
    Keep in mind this map will be littered with overworlds, and an event or 2
    WARNING, THIS MAP IS HUGE! LIKE, REEEEEAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLY HUGE!
    Spoiler:

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • FALSE!

There is a tile error! RIGHT THERE. On the house. Look at the door...doesn't it look wrong? There's a tile that's meant to go there. :\]

Also, it's very empty. I know sand can't be that filled, but the grass at the guy's house is empty. Put some trees. which he can hide behind to watch the ladies secretly

You should also put s'more mountains on the sand. :D
    Anyway, it's kinda too empty for my liking. To rate it realistically would end up with you getting about 3/10. Although Neti's one would net (lol) you about 70

Years
  • Spoiler:

Last edited:

Neti

Inactive
    Years
  • Another map by me.
    Map Name: Hazel Beach
    Description A Popular Beach often visited by tourists. Out on a small island lives an old man who loves to exercise, so he moved there to tan, swim, and look at the ladies... XD
    There are no tile errors, since the whole map is surrounded by connections, since my game has a more open feel to it, instead of just following routes.
    Rom: Fire Red
    Keep in mind this map will be littered with overworlds, and an event or 2
    WARNING, THIS MAP IS HUGE! LIKE, REEEEEAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLY HUGE!
    Spoiler:
    youre right, its really really huge xD
    but since its very empty i dont think it took longer than a normal map to make...
    you could have added way more details (just like i could add more details into this critic, but i have no time)
    mountain and beach shapes are ok, the idea is realyl nice as well
    also i like the idea with the "open feel"
    i was thinking about something like that too... maybe ill include it in anotehr hack if i ever finish legend of fenju^^

well... liek i said before: the main problem is that its pretty empty
    you could add more rocks and small islands (just a few tiles) into the water

sasquatchd00d

welcoming a clean head.
    Years
  • Map Name: Salvia City
    ROM: Fire Red BPRE
    Hack: Pokémon Enigma
    Credits: Nintendo - Tiles

Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

I think that there might be too much vegetation, but I'm not sure. The path to the south is blocked by a cut tree, so the player is forced to go through cave in the middle of the map.

Neti

Inactive
    Years
  • I somehow felt like posting this map I just made

Map Name: Route 24
    Hack: Legend of Fenju (Gaoya)
    Comments: The first Route of Gaoya, you enter it from the cave.
    This is the first map of the third region of my hack i made.
    It's supposed to look very crowded, like as if the player was going through a light forest.
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

Credits: PHO
    Im not sure about the trees... who made them?

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
    Years
  • I somehow felt like posting this map I just made

It's supposed to look very crowded, like as if the player was going through a light forest.
    Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

Very nice, as always!
    Map Rating/Review Thread

You can improve the MRS by adding colors of Rating (Stunning = blue, Average = yellow)

Tropical Sunlight

The Faltine
    Years
  • thx^^
    could you give details on those parts where you deducted points?
    btw, its name is route 24 :p i said so^^
    Sorry, just ignore it :nervous:
    I deducted the points because of my very stricted rating:
    Overall look: You made the map farther that you can see.

Idea: Coming out of a cave? Also, the region is supposed to be industrial? Or only the cities?

Variety of tiles: You could have more of the big rocks.

Natural sense: Nice, but the right part's losing details.

It's very strict, I hope you can improve.

Neti

Inactive
    Years
  • Sorry, just ignore it :nervous:
    I deducted the points because of my very stricted rating:
    Overall look: You made the map farther that you can see.

Idea: Coming out of a cave? Also, the region is supposed to be industrial? Or only the cities?

Variety of tiles: You could have more of the big rocks.

Natural sense: Nice, but the right part's losing details.

It's very strict, I hope you can improve.
    That' s why i asked for details, i want to make it perfect :p
    i could update my map rating system, so 50/50 is "Perfect" :p
    well, ill work on those points, except for the thing with the industrial stuff...
    gaoya was never supposed to be industrial, it was supposed to be futuristic, but only the cities, eg the building-styles and their technology
    why do so many ppl think its going to be industrial? xD

oh and btw what do you eman with the "overall look" thing? do you mean the player cant see parts of the map? i probably wont edit that, even though my map isnt considered 50/50 then :p

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Oct 21, 2019
    I somehow felt like posting this map I just made

Mapshot:
    Spoiler:

Well, Neti... here comes my rating :\

Natural Feeling
    With the tiles used, it seems to me like not all of them seem to fit properly. I'm basically saying that the tiles used are used poorly. As I glance closer to the map, I notice something odd. The trees only connect diagonally. I realize you're trying to make a natural map, but this is the furthest possible way of doing so. You need to atleast have a couple of spots where the trees connect vertically. Let's look at the cave entrance now. They usually look really, and I mean really bad if there isn't another mountain/cliff above it. By the looks of this map, you definitely could have done so, *looks to the mountains on the left* and it would have looked a lot better.

Now for me to move onto the diversity of tiles. I only rank on the ones shown in the map... Let's start with the smaller trees. They seem to be used nicely, when not in pairs, which was done multiple times on this map. This should really be fixed, and can easily be done so by a mere two block edits. Moving on to the wild grass. This is done very poorly. Now, if you look at it, the wild grass used does not fit well with the other wild grass, therefor causing an unneeded diversity among them. I would recommend sticking to one patch, or using more than one, in which cases, they match. I'll move onto the flowers now. These are poorly done. Flowers grow in patches, 80% of the time. (Estimate :D) Also, in this map, there is not only a lack of flowers in those patches, but there are a lack of flowers in particular! Meaning, you might want to consider adding 5 more at a minimum. I also notice on this map, you do not use a diversity of normal grass, which is a major turn off for me. Another thing I wish to mention, is that the sand patches do not seem to fit. I would recommend the faded grass pathway. And finally, I move onto the backdrops on the mountains. They aren't done correctly, sorry to say. There are specific tiles for using those. (That is meant for the backdrop going INTO a corner)

Now, I will move onto the positives of the natural feeling. Notice that there is a lot less than there is in the negatives section. This is because people like me seek out the negatives, not the positives.
    Well, the shape is wonderfully done. I love how the trees used in this map swerve around, making there never be a dull moment, visually. The mountain shape is spectacular, making it feel natural.

Playability
    Playability is the biggest factor in a map, when playing a hack. If the playability sucks, then overall, the map sucks. Regardless of how amazing it looks from a view, if the playability is poor, the map is poor.

Now, I'm sorry to say, your playability is very poor. This map is way too filled with things that the player would have to navigate around, or through. Typically, that would be considered a major flaw to many hackers I know. I would highly recommend removing trees blocking your path, and just leaving the player with a good, clean area to go through. There is still ways to prevent the emptiness, by perhaps adding more pathways, giving more wildgrass, and even flowers and bushes can help!

Overall Rating:
    With what is said above, I am giving this map a 5.1/10.

Years
  • Reposting because I made a new better one and noone rated my original one
    Map Rating/Review Thread

Celebi Town

This is the starting town for a hero. The orange building is the research lab, The long purple building is a small hotel/motel, and Rival's house is the tiny red one.
    The other red one with the back entrance is another house I havent decided what to do with it yet.
    Yes, the hero owns a Lapras, chansey and snorlax

Apart from that, the grass in the town isn't for decoration, as there are wild pokemon in this town. hence, the use of lots of fences. The cave on the right will lead to a route.

The main reason I'm posting here is to see how other people think of my mapping, and also on what to put in that top right because theres alot of blank space. I will be using this map in my hack.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back