• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What is your operating system?

What is your operating system?

• Total voters
Years
    • Age 31
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jun 6, 2017
    Yes, it is that time of year again. What is(are) your operating system(s)? If you are running an alternate operating system and you need some help, do not post in this thread. Post your questions here!

The poll is made from the top 4 operating systems according to a survey on Google. If you don't use them, don't complain and click 'other'.

Gerri Shin

  
    Years
  • I run Mac OS X 10.5.7 as my main OS for now.
    I also have access and can use the following OSs:
    • Windows 7 RC (build 7100, W7 Pro on pre-order for October)
    • Kubuntu 9.04
    • Ubuntu 9.04
    • Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger
    • Mac OS X 10.6.0 Snow Leopard (dev10a394)

Years
    • Age 31
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jun 6, 2017
    Lets go Windows VISTA!!!!!!!!!
    Its slow but it has good graphics lol for gaming :)

It's not slow as an operating system. You probably have a bad system. Also, an operating system has nothing to do (as far as I know) with the gaming graphics. The only thing it has to do with you games is the compatiblity with your system. Doesn't affect the speed or graphics. All that is determined by the parts in the computer itself.

As of right now I run Ubuntu Linux as my main OS, I do not dual boot with any other OS at the moment. ◕‿‿◕

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
  • Windows Vista. I got it from buying my own computer last year, as I couldn't stand the '98 monster. XD;

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2010
    Can we get a staff member to restart the poll with expanded options; especially with so many morons still clinging to Windows XP; I propose

Windows XP
    Windows Vista
    Windows 7 RC
    Other Windows (2000, 2003, 2008)
    ~
    Mac OS X Tiger
    Mac OS X Leopard
    Other Mac OS X
    Mac OS X86
    ~
    Mainstream Linux Distributions (Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora, etc)
    Other Linux Distributions
    ~
    Other Operating System

Last edited:

Ayano Katagiri

♥ 陳意涵 - 痞子英雄
    Years
  • Windows Vista Business Premium 64-bit.

I really wondered why there's so many complaints about Vista. I enjoy using it most of the time and there's only been a few areas which have annoyed me but I can easily deal with.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • It's not slow as an operating system. You probably have a bad system.
    A typical Vista installation has about 70 processes running at any given time. More if you have bloatware installed, less if you've tweaked it a bit. I get about 55 at idle on mine, and that's with some heavy optimization. It takes roughly a minute to boot sans the password. Cut all those numbers in half for my Windows XP installs; 35, 20, and 30 seconds.

If you think Vista isn't slow, try building a Linux installation from ground up. Gentoo or Arch are popular choices here, though setting them up is not for the uninitiated. Things are just snappy; Firefox starts instantly, and even Java applications aren't entirely slow. As for boot time... I know people who think that 15 seconds to boot is slow. It's absurd how insanely fast you can get Linux going. For starters, try Damn Small Linux; it's a full Linux distribution in under 50 MB. It's very fast all around, though not so much from Live CD. If you choose to run it entirely in memory, it'll take a bit longer to start up and will use roughly 128 MB of your RAM, but it'll be even faster.

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
  • Vista Ultimate 64-bit. I really like Vista except for a few minor quirks (HDD space hog with the winsxs folder and such being the major one), but otherwise it's great.
    I've preordered my $50 Windows 7 upgrade though, so I should be getting that in October. Tried the beta and really liked it, but I had some troubles with Steam games locking up, so I decided to go back to Vista until 7 was stable.

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2010
    try building a Linux installation from ground up.
    Now try running some market leading applications or games, lmao.
    Enjoy your lack of Photoshop, enjoy your lack of commercial games. Fact is, you can't compare Linux to a serious OS

Cartmic

Hi there, it's been awhile.
    Years
  • Now try running some market leading applications or games, lmao.
    Enjoy your lack of Photoshop, enjoy your lack of commercial games. Fact is, you can't compare Linux to a serious OS

You're starting to sound like a troll, and why I don't like the Mac elitist attitude.

I could write an article on this question: "Can Linux be viewed as a serious Operating System?"

Now first off you need to define where you are going to use Linux, only then you can start to do research on whether it is a serious option in the area you want to use it in.

Now, lets say there is the rare occasion that the need to use Office 2007 arises, or the GIMP doesn't have a certain feature you really need to use, then you can use the excellent WINE, which I can say I use, and is very rare that a program doesn't run with it, Heck I'm able to play Tomb Raider: Anniversary on it.

Fact is, you can't compare Linux to a serious OS

Try telling that to:

Mark Shuttleworth; The first South African in space.
    Canonical; the company leading Ubuntu development
    The French Government
    NASA
    Federal Ministry of Education, Nigeria
    United States Navy
    Munich
    33 German universities
    Berlin's art colleges; who use Ubuntu.

I could go on, there are a lot more, but I think thats just a good enough example. In the end it boils down to what you are going to do with your computer.

Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2010
    You're starting to sound like a troll, and why I don't like the Mac elitist attitude.

I could write an article on this question: "Can Linux be viewed as a serious Operating System?"

Now first off you need to define where you are going to use Linux, only then you can start to do research on whether it is a serious option in the area you want to use it in.

Now, lets say there is the rare occasion that the need to use Office 2007 arises, or the GIMP doesn't have a certain feature you really need to use, then you can use the excellent WINE, which I can say I use, and is very rare that a program doesn't run with it, Heck I'm able to play Tomb Raider: Anniversary on it.

Try telling that to:

The French Government
    NASA
    United States Navy
    Munich
    33 German universities

I could go on, there are a lot more, but I think thats just a good enough example. In the end it boils down to what you are going to do with your computer.
    I mentioned games and you called me a Mac Elitist.
    Your post had now been rendered null and void.

HarrisonH

I doubt Pokemon will be a hit
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Feb 1, 2013
    Windows 7 here. I've been using it since the beta. I did have XP on another partition, but since I hadn't been using it, I went ahead and deleted it.

Your post had now been rendered null and void.

Your own posts have been null and void for a while now.

Zet

Years
  • You're starting to sound like a troll, and why I don't like the Mac elitist attitude.

Try telling that to:

The French Government
    NASA
    United States Navy
    Munich
    33 German universities

Those aren't Operating Systems you listed, what's the point of posting that crap if Linux isn't a serious Operating System. Now before you call me a "Mac Elitist" I'm a windows user and have been all my life.

And I currently use both XP and Vista

Eureka1

Yay IIDX! :D
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jan 21, 2023
    cloud.CONNECTED, just get over yourself.

Every post in here is composed as if to produce a reaction. Luckily for you, you're untouchable - being friends with mods n all.

Linux is every bit as good as Mac OS unfortunately, and XP users aren't "morons".

I'll give you a 7/10 for making me repsond, again.

I'm currently using Vista x64 Business SP2 on my desktop and XP x86 SP3 on my netbook. Might try Arch on my netbook some time.

Back