• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pixelpusher's Dot Contest

Years
    It has come to my attention that people may not know what pixel art is. There are entries that I have to disqualify because they are just drawings from MS Paint and stuff.
    READ THIS WHOLE UPDATE. NO "TL;DR'S"
    ------------------------------------------

What is Pixel Art?

Definition
    Pixel Art
    is a form of digital art, created through the use of raster graphics software, where images are edited on a pixel level. Graphics in most old(or relatively limited) computer and video games, graphic calculator games and many mobile phone games are pixel art.

Image filters (such as blurring or alpha-blending) or tools with automatic anti-aliasing are considered not valid tools for pixel art, as such tools calculate new pixel values automatically, contrasting with the precise manual arrangement of pixels associated with pixel art. This includes brushes and such like brushes from photoshop or GIMP that gives off anti-aliasing.

Saving
    Pixel Art is preferably stored in a file format utilizing lossless data compression, such as run-length encoding or an indexed colour palette. GIF and PNG are two file formats commonly used for storing pixel art. The JPEG format is avoided because its lossy compression algorithm is designed for smooth continuous-tone images and introduces visible artifacts in the presence of dithering.

Tutorials

Anti-alias
    Spoiler:

Saving
    Spoiler:

Shading
    Spoiler:

Lineart
    Spoiler:

Credits to Wikipedia for pixel art information. Pixel joint and it's members for the tutorials

Scytha

mass effect freak
    Years
    Just asking, can I use a nintendo sprite as a base, but heavily edit it? By heavy I mean REALLY heavily edited.

Years
    Just asking, can I use a nintendo sprite as a base, but heavily edit it? By heavy I mean REALLY heavily edited.

You are still using it as a base. No matter how much you edit it while having it shown and stuff, it doesn't count as 100% scratch as the rules state. You may use it and look at it as a reference for anatomy and NOT for lineart. I'll compare your entry with the official to make sure you did not copy.(i will do this for everyone's entry as well)
    tl;dr:
    No,you can not use the base.

PatJamma

From the ashes
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 8, 2022
    did mine meet your definition? because i made it pixel by pixel and i thought thats what pixel art was...

NiKaNoRoU

we are but particles
    Years
    Here's my entry, I didn't get to work much on it, because I'm busy these days.

It has 45 colours or so.

Yeah, it's what you guessed it is.

Years
    Come on guys! You got two more days to finish, you can do it.
    ---------------------
    @PetJamma
    Yes, Your entry is accepted. Though it is in JPEG and I dread JPEG for pixel art nevertheless it's accepted.

@nmorr
    Your entry is not accepted as it does not meet the definition of pixel art. That's just a drawing and i'm assuming you used photoshop or something.

Everyone else has their entry accepted.
    ---------------------------------
    Reminder: Latest Update To Thread

Years
    Here's my WIP so far. It's gonna be an opposite, or day/night scene, so the other side will have an east (I think it is, the blue one) Shellos. I'm iffy about Solrock, though. :/

Last edited:

tpmrpg

Beginning Hacker, Gamer
    Years
    • Seen Oct 5, 2013
    well mine has 23 (or so iaza says)

Attachments

• Pixelpusher's Dot Contest
      sleeping chimmy.png
      4.3 KB · Views: 118
    Years
    Last edited:
    Years

I'd say that's my final version. Very rushed. Approximately 40 odd colours.

By the way, PatJamma's entry is saved as a .JPG. >:

Last edited:

Netish

errr CANDY MOUNTAIN!!!
    Years
    Here's my finished and fixed: "Meowth Gets Pwned"

OOOOH and I used 22 colors now instead of 21

Last edited:
    Back