• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luka S.J.

Jealous Croatian
Years
I noticed something interesting today while walking around in game.

I have one map that extends along a Y axis. Player walks north to south. The bottom half of the map will lag a considerable amount when I start walking around in it. When I walk out the southern exit to the next map, that map lags as well. If I return to the north part of the first map it stops, and when I take the west exit of the second map that lags, it also stops.

Any idea what is causing this?

It might be important to note that there are no scripts or objects that I have placed in these maps, they are just empty worlds with tiles.

They connection script is whats causing it. Larger maps will lag as long as their next connection is a large map. So the way to eliminate this is either reducing the size of your maps, or removing connections and making the transfer through events (sort of like PSP DS does it). Also if you break the maps into smaller maps and then connect them, there will be less lag on each individual map. You might want to consider reducing the number of maps connected to an individual map, that might reduce the lag too. The reason for this problem is that if there is a connection set within the maps, RMXP will load the current map, and its adjacent connections at the same time, along with all that goes with it (events, autotiles, etc).

Years
  • Seen Dec 8, 2010
Thanks Maruno for being honest, I know it would be difficult but well, I'll watch to see if anyone comes to life and creates a script for this, unfortunately I have little idea of scripts :(

Worldslayer608

ಥдಥ
Years
They connection script is whats causing it. Larger maps will lag as long as their next connection is a large map. So the way to eliminate this is either reducing the size of your maps, or removing connections and making the transfer through events (sort of like PSP DS does it). Also if you break the maps into smaller maps and then connect them, there will be less lag on each individual map. You might want to consider reducing the number of maps connected to an individual map, that might reduce the lag too. The reason for this problem is that if there is a connection set within the maps, RMXP will load the current map, and its adjacent connections at the same time, along with all that goes with it (events, autotiles, etc).

Ahh, thanks Luka, now that you mention it I even recall a conversation we had about this some time ago.

:)

Rassalon

Epic One
Years
This is probably not possible but oh well.
Is it possible to remove the entire Pokemon essentials battle system and, use it in an average project? If it is possible how?

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Feb 7, 2011
I downloaded the starter kit some time ago it has everything I need I tested everything I was going to do but I noticed....the attack animations/sprites...I want to know how to fix them because I used Flamethrower and it just showed as a simple attack then I used Roar of time and it did the same and for all the other moves. :l

Nickalooose

--------------------
Years
  • Seen Dec 28, 2023
This is probably not possible but oh well.
Is it possible to remove the entire Pokemon essentials battle system and, use it in an average project? If it is possible how?

by average project, i assume just an RPGMaker project, not essentials...
i read somewhere that you can just copy and paste the battle system scripts, but im not entirely sure where i read it...

I downloaded the starter kit some time ago it has everything I need I tested everything I was going to do but I noticed....the attack animations/sprites...I want to know how to fix them because I used Flamethrower and it just showed as a simple attack then I used Roar of time and it did the same and for all the other moves. :l

the attack animations aren't implemented, you have to create them yourself or ask someone else to do it... use the Editor.exe in the main Essentials folder and click ''Animation Editor''

Now my question... how would i go about writing a script to read from a .txt file like how abillities do... is it just a one-liner?

Last edited:

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
Now my question... how would i go about writing a script to read from a .txt file like how abillities do... is it just a one-liner?
Certainly not. Such a thing is quite complex.

There are two parts to reading a .txt file and loading its contents into the game: defining the variables used for that information, and actually reading it in. This doesn't include actually using the information anywhere.

The wiki page Adding new encounter methods offers an extremely brief glance at what that means, and provides reasons for doing what you do (there's more to do than you think). Basically, you need to define the variables in the appropriate script module, and then edit Compiler to include reading in your new .txt file.

While I usually suggest a "copy 'n' paste" approach to doing anything, here I would strongly recommend you keep away from it unless you really know what you're doing. It involves some very complicated and fiddly code, and it can't really be taught.

You could always skip the Compiler part, and put the information directly into the scripts. The items obtained via the Pickup ability do this, for one. You just need to remember where you keep it all. After all, the PBS files are just convenient storage places for information that can be easily accessed, rather than trawling through the scripts. That's all they're for.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen yesterday
I need help with this problem:

Any news on XP time String error?

Maruno says that aren't better Pokémon Essentials version, but more stable. What is the more stable?

How I know the last update of Essetials if Poccil doens't update the String "May 7" any more without download it every day?

Waiting a pbs Pokédex with new pokés.
I found pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=231437 . I forget to seach in another topics, sorry for that. But Poccil himself know this XP clock bug?

Years
  • Seen Dec 3, 2012
Hm. Does anyone have any idea when the new pokemon will get their addition to PEssentials? Like...in under three months range? Hah.

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
Years
Hm. Does anyone have any idea when the new pokemon will get their addition to PEssentials? Like...in under three months range? Hah.

It will most likely be a while, as the games are not even out in the US. Most of the new Pokemon don't even have English names yet.

I'm still having a problem in my own project. Ever since I installed the animated Pokemon scripts made by Luka SJ, the graphics dor Pokemon refuses to show up anymore. I've tried a multitude of fixes, but to know avail.

Here's the section of script that I know is behind it:

Code:
 pbDrawTextPositions(@sprites["overlay"].bitmap,textpos)
pkmnbitmap=AnimatedBitmap.new(pbPokemonBitmapFile(species,false))
@sprites["overlay"].bitmap.blt(
   40-(pkmnbitmap.width-160)/2,
   48-(pkmnbitmap.height-160)/2,
   pkmnbitmap.bitmap,pkmnbitmap.bitmap.rect)
 pkmnbitmap.dispose
 pbPlayCry(species)
 pbFadeInAndShow(@sprites)
end
For me, it starts around line 480. Any help?

Edit: Easy fix found.

Last edited:

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen yesterday
It will most likely be a while, as the games are not even out in the US. Most of the new Pokemon don't even have English names yet.
You can use japanese names and making until the english names came out and replace in database in minutes!
And three month is too long! The sprites, gifs and crys are amost rippeds. Using a certain program to read the files, you can rip the pokémon.txt and tm.txt in few hours, like the most sites pokédex over intenet!

But the Moves, Abilities and Triple battle are more hard because they need to be create a certain logic and can delay more...

Maruno

Years
You can use japanese names and making until the english names came out and replace in database in minutes!
And three month is too long! The sprites, gifs and crys are amost rippeds. Using a certain program to read the files, you can rip the pokémon.txt and tm.txt in few hours, like the most sites pokédex over intenet!

But the Moves, Abilities and Triple battle are more hard because they need to be create a certain logic and can delay more...
If it's so easy to add in the new Pokémon, you can do it yourself.

There are plenty of Gen 4 features that still don't exist in Essentials, not to mention contests which have never been implemented, so I wouldn't hold your breath for any Gen 5 stuff for at least a year after the games come out in English. And that's only if poccil ever finishes frelling around with the daylight system.

Aside from not having English names for the Gen 5 Pokémon, the sprites are also larger than before, and the back sprites are now full pictures rather than cut off, so it'll be a bit tough to fit them into the default screen resolution (which is the smaller Gen 3 size).

Besides, why would you want to include the Gen 5 Pokémon? The majority of them are terrible.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
Years
  • Seen yesterday
If it's so easy to add in the new Pokémon, you can do it yourself.

There are plenty of Gen 4 features that still don't exist in Essentials, not to mention contests which have never been implemented, so I wouldn't hold your breath for any Gen 5 stuff for at least a year after the games come out in English. And that's only if poccil ever finishes frelling around with the daylight system.

Aside from not having English names for the Gen 5 Pokémon, the sprites are also larger than before, and the back sprites are now full pictures rather than cut off, so it'll be a bit tough to fit them into the default screen resolution (which is the smaller Gen 3 size).

Besides, why would you want to include the Gen 5 Pokémon? The majority of them are terrible.
It's not my specialty to rip data for pokémon.txt . The TMs I can do easily. But, if its delay one month or two I try something.

I trying think they implementation like Fakemon, not the zooms. I found all front 96x96 (the max size is 128x128, right?) and backs its only to do a cut.

I want to include the gen 5 because basically I believe they bring me more downloads/views =D. Bigger pokédiversity can improve the quality if used right.
And I like they, especially the new combination types. The worst thing is the high level from evolution, but I can think in something.

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
Years

I don't know why he would, but...

(Spoiler warning for those who havent seen the 5th gens yet)
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/7/7a/572.png
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/9/99/503.png

In my opinion, these are two good reasons.
Back on topic:
Blech, I'm trying to change the naming screen to D/P/Pts. It's not working too well, since I can't find the Y coordinate for the name blanks or the letter displays.

Kitty17794

disney devoted. disney owned.
Years
Hey guys... I have a quick question. I did a search on this thread, but I didn't see anything that really answered it. While attempting to work on my charsets, I realized (while pulling from different sites/games for the bases to edit) that... they're all different sizes. If you compare the ones that come with the kit, and say, the DP kit that was somewhere in this thread I believe, they're totally different.

What should the actual size of the characters be in order to match up? Or are we just stuck using the few charsets included?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 30, 2023
Hey guys... I have a quick question. I did a search on this thread, but I didn't see anything that really answered it. While attempting to work on my charsets, I realized (while pulling from different sites/games for the bases to edit) that... they're all different sizes. If you compare the ones that come with the kit, and say, the DP kit that was somewhere in this thread I believe, they're totally different.

What should the actual size of the characters be in order to match up? Or are we just stuck using the few charsets included?

You simply double the size of a sprite to put it in RMXP format. Just use paint to resize the image from 100% to go to 200%.

If you mean the actual size of the sprites, they way they were made, HGSS/DPP sprites were made larger than that of the GBA games for the DS, which is bigger in size.

Maruno

Years
That has nothing to do with the question.

I don't know why he would, but...

(Spoiler warning for those who havent seen the 5th gens yet)
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/7/7a/572.png
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/9/99/503.png

In my opinion, these are two good reasons.

That's really just a personal opinion; many people like them.
I'm not allowed to insert a bit of personality into my posts now? Yes, it's my opinion that the majority of the new Pokémon are sub-par at best, and yes, it has little to do with the question (not "nothing"). Doesn't mean I can't express it in passing (i.e. I didn't use an entire post just to spam the comment, as two of the above did with their responses).

As for IceGod's examples, I like them both (except the fact that the latter belongs to the evolutionary family it does - it needs a different one). "Majority" does not mean "all".

Obviously the discussion is for elsewhere. Please don't fill this thread up with it.

Charsets are divided into 16 equally-sized sections (arranged 4x4) to show each of the cardinal directions and the animations for each. The good thing about RPG Maker XP is that the sections of any given charset can be any size (as long as they're all the same size in that charset).

The section will be bottom aligned and horizontally centred on the square containing the event with that graphic. If you're unsure what that means, try a few out in-game and see how the graphics are placed for charsets of different sizes.

A charset can be as big or as small as is necessary. Don't worry that the ones you have are different sizes. Once you try them out in-game, you'll see what happens.

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
Years
"DP Kit"? Like Diamond/Pearl?

Is the interface changed in this 'kit' or is it just a bunch of of sprites? I'm interested, but a thread search as failed me.

WindBlows

It's been a long time!
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 5, 2023
Hello, can someone help me with this error, please?
It occurs when I manually modify the encounters.txt file, and then I try to open Editor.exe. Thanks.

Code:
Compiler:1067:in `pbCompileEncounters'
Compiler:3926:in `pbCompileAllData'
Compiler:4034
Exception: RuntimeError
Message: Undefined encounter type , expected one of the following:
["Land", "Cave", "Water", "RockSmash", "OldRod", "GoodRod", "SuperRod", "HeadbuttLow", "HeadbuttHigh", "LandMorning", "LandDay", "LandNight", "BugContest"]
File PBS/encounters.txt, line 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back