• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Rent or Buy

pokemasta92

3rd Gen. Enthusiast
Years
  • Well since Blockbuster isn't around anymore and their stores were going out of business years ago, I haven't rented in a long time. I still don't rent because Redbox's selection is too limited and Gamefly is for people that rent a lot while I only buy a couple games a year or sometimes not at all. I'm okay with this because these days I can watch let's plays on YouTube to judge if I will enjoy a game, and then I will buy a barely used copy of it at Gamestop for a mandatory reduced price.

CliCliW

I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.
    Years
  • When I was smaller I used to be allowed to rent a game every now and again. I think now I'd rather just own them, to be honest. It's easier and works out cheaper in the long run I suppose :)

Years
  • Up until now, I'd rather own them.
    I did rent a game once, I enjoyed the game until the end of it, but it wasn't enough, I enjoyed the game so much but it didn't last long because I kept thinking, "Once I finish the game I'll have to return it... It even has a lot of things to do right after finishing the game...Sigh.".

So I decided that I'd just own the game so I could always enjoy it.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • I don't use rental services but I do rent games from my friends =)
    I don't have preferences since I pretty much don't plan on returning to finished games so it doesn't really matter to me whether I own them or not =)

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
    Years
  • I've never rented a game in my life. I'm the type of person that prefers to play through games at my own pace and not feel rushed to get through them. Plus I just like to have a collection and be able to grab whatever game I want off my shelf.

Years
  • I'm the same as Morkula. I love owning the physical copies since.. well, who knows when I'd have an urge to play again? That and beating the game seems pointless to me if I have to return it soon after anyway. I'd like to keep my achievement around. :)

pokemasta92

3rd Gen. Enthusiast
    Years
  • I think some of you are missing the point of renting games...
    You're not suppose to rent games and then try and beat them quickly before their due date to never be played again. The whole purpose of renting is to lead you to purchasing. You can rent a game you might be interested in to find out if you enjoy it. After playing it for a few days and realizing you're into it, you can go and buy a copy for yourself. If you're not into it, you can return it and have only spent $5 instead of $60 on a game you don't wish to own.

Toddler Naruto

Playful Explorer
    Years
  • I prefer owning games, because I like to know that the discs will play fine (only buy new).

I've had terrible experiences with scratched PS2 game discs, whenever I rented from Blockbuster back in past.

(I haven't tried GameFly yet, due to no credit card)

Years
    • Seen today
    If Steam wasn't such a prominent thing in PC gaming, I'd buy a lot more physical copies of games. I can't remember the last time I rented a game, or went under any sort of continuous payment scheme whereby I can play games so long as I cough up the cash! I enjoy having the cases, and sticking them on the shelf. However, my (physical) PS2 game collection is much larger than my PC game collection. The only physical copies I buy nowadays are for collector's editions, and console games (I only have the Wii and DS consoles though).

So I never rent any more, years ago I used to when I was very young and it was a bit more popular. Now though, I like to go back on games I played and play them again without the stress of renting.

Years
  • I used to rent all the time, especially when the new WWE games came out. Now, I like to take my time with the game and retain as much replay value as possible. So, even if I could rent, I probably wouldn't.

Years
  • Never rented a game in my life. I like building to my collection of video games and just having them displayed in my case :3 Gives me a sense of accomplishment XD

Ozymandias

i'm going on a journey
    Years
  • I've actually never rented a game before XD but I have borrowed games from friends which is a different thing. I usually always buy my own games

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I've rented games from GameFly before, but cancelled the subscription after about two months. For me, it's just a hassle to constantly send and receive games back and forth. Personally, I prefer buying games.

pokemasta92

3rd Gen. Enthusiast
    Years
  • People keep saying "I don't rent I prefer to buy games" like you have to do one or the other...like I said earlier the whole point of renting games is to try out games you may want to buy for only a few bucks and if you don't like it then it was only a few bucks wasted instead of buying a game from GameStop, not enjoying the gameplay, and then losing over $20 when you return it. Being able to watch let's plays on YouTube has made renting a lot less important, as well as the fact that a lot of games are digital, and I don't feel like waiting a couple hours for a demo to download. However even while watching a video you can't get the full feel of it so renting has it's purpose.

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
    Years
  • I'd much rather own the game. I haven't rented a game sense I was a little kid. Those were always fun to no life for those 5 days though.

Years
  • I rented a few games when I was younger, but I prefer to just save up and buy them. Plus it means I can have as long as I want to actually finish them...!

Shadowraze

ur mum
    Years
  • I would rather buy a game than rent it. Of course I'm going to look at the gameplay and the reviews of the game that I am buying before purchasing to make sure that my money isn't wasted.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    Most of the games I play, I rent. I normally only buy a game if I know I'll be playing it for a long time like Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, Madden, Pokemon, Smash Bros.

Back