• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Rent or Buy

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
    Years
    Do you, as a gamer, prefer to rent video games (by any means GameFly, Blockbuster etc.) or do you enjoy owning games, allowing you return and experience the game again later?

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I don't think I've ever rented a game. Being able to actually complete a game, without being pressured to return it is optimal. Plus when I'm bored I can easily just come back and replay the games without having to go out and get them.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
    It's pretty much just buying for me at this point. All the Blockbusters seems to have gone out of business where I live, and Redbox's selection of games is quite limited. As for Gamefly, I'm just not a fan of their monthly pans. It's honestly been about 3 years since I lasted rented something.

Years
    I prefer to buy. I can't really predict when I'll have time (or feel like making time) to play something all the way through. Often, when I rent a game, the due date rolls around and I realize I haven't even touched it.

TY

Since i cannot rent games anywhere near my location i have to buy all of them.

RyanGT

Forum Elder
    Years
    I've always been a buyer , I've always wanted to own the game I'm playing but lAtely I've sort of changed . Reason being that I pay the full price for a game , play and beat it, then it just sits and collects dust.. Most of the I could have spent A lot less money by renting it, Beating it, then returning it.

I've decided that I'll only be paying full retail for games that have significant replayability.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
    I prefer to buy my games. That way I can enjoy them without knowing in the back of my mind that I'll have to return them. Plus, buying them offers the added benefits of being able to lend it to friends or sell it if one gets bored/completed/doesn't like it.

Fenrir Reki

Guardian of Destruction
    Years
    I never rent video games. Usually I check with my friends to see if they have the game I want or not, otherwise I buy it if I absolutely want it.

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
    Hopping aboard the buy train!

I like the idea of being able to solely keep the video games you purchase so that you can play em' anytime! Oh but sure, I used to rent video games now and then, which can be good if you'd like to try out how a video game feels before playing it~

Miracle Seed

Serpentine trainer
    Years
    My parents would rent out games for me when I was small, but now I buy my own, and watch what I buy. I don't think I'd really subscribe to Gamefly, as I'm already subscribed to enough junk as is.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    I buy games and usually just sell them when I've finished. There are no video game rental stores where I live.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    Huge procrastinator, no way can I rent games. I tried doing that with SMT3 once, without knowing what I was getting into, and it was a horrible rushed experience.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
    I would much prefer to buy them, simply because I don't think I could enjoy it while under a time limit .-. It seems to be it would make me feel like I'm obligated to complete it almost, instead of me wanting to, you know? Plus it's fun to pick up older games after a while, whether to replay or to finish them, and you couldn't do that with a rented game necessarily.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
    Renting games was my "thing" when I was in grade school, but now I would rather own them. The method of saving has changed a lot and it makes sense that you have to own the game in order to keep your save data. I rarely rent games today, if I want to play a game I can just...buy it so I can always play it when I get bored.

Years
    I used to rent games, but times have changed and I have enough money on me now so I buy most, if not all of my games I own today.

Back