• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Skills & gaming go hand in hand, y'know.

Poki

Banned
Years
  • Do you only play games that compliment your skills (e.g., concentration, fast reaction, logical stuff, etc...), or do you play any kind of genre?

Bonus question: What is/are the type(s) of game(s) you simply cannot stand? Oh, and explain why. Just because.

T!M

Four Category MoTY (VG) Winner
    Years
  • If I played games that focused on my best traits in gaming. Then I wouldn't be challenged. And I pride myself on being challenged in games. With that said, it should be obvious that I play all kinds of games, whether they compliment my skills or not.

pokemasta92

3rd Gen. Enthusiast
    Years
  • I love playing challenging games, but if I don't actually enjoy the video game then there's no point. For example I'll die over and over again in an FPS, RPG, RTS, or survival horror game and still love it and want to beat it. However I won't want to play a sports game not only because I don't understand them or they are too challenging, but because I'm simply not interested. I don't know everything about football so I'm not good at Madden, although if I did know everything about football while it might make me better, I still wouldn't like the game. It's not that I don't enjoy a good challenge, it's that the challenge doesn't matter to me therefore there is no sense of accomplishment and no fun to be had. So sports games are the main type I can't stand. Also hunting, turn-based, and action/adventure games that are too arcade like such as not having any RPG elements.

TY

Ill play most genre's as long as there is a challenge in it. The only kind of genre's ill never play are singing and dancing games, i just dislike those games a lot xP

Strategy games give me the biggest challenges, they make you think of your decisions pretty darn well.

Poki

Banned
    Years
  • I actually like testing out all kind of genres. So far I've gotten to the conclusion that I suck at most strategy games, and that I'm pretty good at FPS & RPG's.

Years
  • I don't even have any gaming skills.. I get stuck in pretty simple games so I'll play whatever so long as it isn't extremely challenging. Doubt I'd ever get past it if that were the case, haha. ( p_q)

Years
  • Often when I play games, there's an unspoken assumption that I'm practicing for when I play them, or similar types of games, with friends, so that I can hold my own. Games designed specifically and explicitly to improve certain brain functions, though, I tend not to enjoy.

Genres I dislike: Sports, fighting, most FPSes, RTSes, and anything in general that's exclusively team-based and has a well-established community (which tend to be unfriendly to newcomers, since they're not good enough yet not to let their teams down).

pokemasta92

3rd Gen. Enthusiast
    Years
  • Often when I play games, there's an unspoken assumption that I'm practicing for when I play them, or similar types of games, with friends, so that I can hold my own. Games designed specifically and explicitly to improve certain brain functions, though, I tend not to enjoy.

Genres I dislike: Sports, fighting, most FPSes, RTSes, and anything in general that's exclusively team-based and has a well-established community (which tend to be unfriendly to newcomers, since they're not good enough yet not to let their teams down).
    I play FPS and RTS games (more a fan of FPS), but you're completely right about how these "well-established communities" can be. It's as if some gamers don't actually treat games as if they are games, but instead a required task that if they fail will be like failing a class or losing a job. They are much too serious to play with anyone that isn't already extremely good at the game. I also dislike fighting games and forgot to add it to my list. However I somewhat like Tekken style games and especially the new Injustice: Gods Among us because of how unique it is. The fighting games I truly hate are realistic ones like UFC where you have to use every single button on the controller in certain orders to simulate real fighting/grappling moves and it is no fun at all.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    I'll play any game that attracts me, but I mostly will stick to games longer which I am good at. For example, I used to play Smash Bros. a lot competitively and at one point was really, really good at it. I still play a lot of Smash to this day, and hope to become a pro one day possibly. Also I play MK7 quite a bit because I'm good at that. Besides that though, I play games like DmC, Killzone and GTA a lot too even though I don't play them competitively. So it really just depends.

Years
  • RPG is my favourite genre. I used to be horrible at them; somehow getting stuck even when using a walkthrough XD That was quite a while back when I was still young. I try to play a variety of games just to see what I like, and so far, RPGs are still my number one video game genre. Games that require strategy are definitely not my thing, they require too much information processing XD

Lord Scalgon

I'm just here so I won't get fined.
    Years
  • Let's see...bullet hell shmups, RTS games which suits me for competition......do collectible card games count? If so, that, too.

Bullet hell games that I play (to this day) - Touhou series, DoDonPachi, Mushihimesama
    RTS games that I've been competitive in - Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne, StarCraft II (not Heart of the Swarm...never even bothered achieving Master League since the dawn of this release)

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
  • RTS games are my favorite, with space and mech sims being tied for 2nd.

My favorite RTS game is a bit hard to decide really. It's a tie between Stardrive and the RTS/FPS hybrid Battlezone 2.

SD's best feature is the ship designer. One of the funnest things about that game is designing ships to use. It's a bit of a headache though for a few ships - Mainly the Draylok Carrier Titan (since it's so damn big) and the Cordazine Battleship Titan (Since the hull design isn't symmetrical).

Favorite Mech Sim is a rather old game, Heavy Gear II. It's customization system is in depth, abit simple at the same time.

Shadowraze

ur mum
    Years
  • I played RTS, TBS games and they are all pretty awesome. Also playing Portal is very good for thinking your way throughout the puzzle and I was really challenged to not look at the walkthrough and have to finish the thing on my own.

FPS games require some time reaction as well so I'd say some skills come in handy especially in playing LoL and DotA you really need to have skill in order to win.

Back