• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is it ever fruitless?

Homura Akemi

time is f o r e v e r~
Years
  • I get fun out of a virtual world, as it takes you from the stresses of reality for a short time..I find video games a really good way to take time away from real life, and to sit back and go into another world, different from ours.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
    Years
  • It's like saying watching tv is pointless when a crap ton of people does it too. At least playing video games works your brain while watching tv doesn't (although documentaries does help such as Animal Planet and Discovery Channel). People who says video games are pointless are most likely people who never gave them a chance to really play and enjoy them.

Years
  • It's a source of entertainment, but I wouldn't go around saying that they're pointless. For myself, whenever I'm stressed or anything, I play them to take my mind off other issues and just immerse myself into fantasy. Sometimes it even gives me inspiration and creativity when I'm roaming environments and what-not.

Lord Scalgon

I'm just here so I won't get fined.
    Years
  • If it weren't for video games, this is what would happen:

• Professional gamers (in video games) would not exist. This means StarCraft fever in South Korea.
    • Boredom. And maybe even more boredom. (but then again, I hardly ever watch TV)
    • No "Difficulty: ASIAN" meme.

(my list is currently shallow...will probably think more along the way)

As for why we play video games, one of the main reasons is to kill time. Maybe you just might get something out of it. Got my notable recognition in my campus for not only being the best StarCraft II player, but also achieved miscellaneous gaming feats that were deemed impossible by many.

pokemasta92

3rd Gen. Enthusiast
    Years
  • The only issue with video games is that they have the possibility to consume a lot of your time. Unlike movies and tv shows that only last 30 minutes to a couple hours, games can last for 50+ hours. If you can balance the time you play video games with the rest of your life then they can be a lot of fun. You can watch what happens in a show/movie, but you can control what happens in a video game. They can be very engaging and your mind working, depending on the game.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    Videogames are fun! What's wrong with having fun? If you enjoy something do it well. The main reason I play games because they are fun and provide me with entertainment, but I also enjoy being good at games. If good enough, videogames can provide you with copious amounts of cash. :3

Been playing games since I was a kid and probably will keep playing them until I die.

Back