• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Buying new games

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
    How do you decide when to buy a new or used game to add to your collection? Do you just buy games as you see them or do you wait until after you've beaten all the games you already have?

I know sometimes I just buy on impulse but I prefer to beat all the games I bought the last time I went out before adding more games. Right now I have about 15 or so games that I have bought but haven't beaten just because I keep buying games and then I'll beat one or two of them before buying new ones.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
    3 reasons probably...

1) Store sale
    2) New installment of the series I have is coming out
    3) New JRPG's coming out =D

And... I don't really wait until I finish all my other games because that would take too much time =D With all PS+ games as well =D Plus sale would end before I would finish them =D

Darkwing Ducklett

Let's get dangerous
    Years
    • Seen Aug 20, 2014
    A lot of games I'm willing to wait a couple of weeks for a price drop, so I rarely buy used games these days, simply because the difference between the new and used once the price has dropped is negligible, and I figure I might as well spend that little bit extra (i.e. £5 or less) for a new copy.

As for waiting and finishing what I have...ahaha, noooo, if I want a game, I have to have it NOW; never mind what I'm doing at the present moment in time. I always end up going back to my old games, so I'm not too worried about leaving it unfinished - whilst I have a horrendous backlog, most of it comes down to games I want to play again, rather than ones I have yet to finish or even start.

Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    I usually just grab things when they're on sale nowadays. Unless I absolutely need to have it right now, but I've only grabbed two games at full price in the past several years.

I'd really prefer to beat what I have before getting something else, but if it's on a really good sale I'm not passing it up, lol.

Yukari

Most of the time I'm willing to wait until the price drops, unless it's a game I'm really exited about. Then I pre-order it and watch launch trailers until it launches.

Typically I just buy games whenever I can, regardless of weather or not I've beaten whatever I most recently played.

Years
    The first step in deciding whether to buy a game or not is actually when it's first announced. One of my daily activities involves constantly checking video game news websites to see what has been announced for the upcoming months or within the next year. From then on, I try to gather as much information about the game before actually making a decision therefore I rarely make impulsive purchases; I'm a rather well-informed consumer in regards to everything, it isn't limited to video games. Generally though, I snatch up every JRPG that comes out for the PS3 within a matter of weeks of the game's release date or pre-ordering them like I did Final Fantasy X | X-2 HD, Tales of Xillia, and Kingdom Hearts 1.5 ReMix. Other posters are mentioning price drops, and to be honest, I'm never patient enough to wait for them so I normally buy games at their full price.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
    I have a bad habit of a monthly trip to Disc Replay since they have different stock every day and I never know what gem I'll be lucky enough to find. And if I find one game that I want I'll go and buy five more games just because they have a buy 5 get the 6th for free deal and it's always nice to get free games no matter how crappy they are. But I spend on average 60-100 dollars there every month ritually. And it just keeps adding to my backlist, then Gamestop is right next door so after I buy all my retro games and cheaper used 360 games I go and see if I can figure up what's new that I should buy with my leftover change.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
    Lately I have been unable to willingly drop $60 on a game. With college and the cost of books, money's been pretty tight lately. Luckily, I've gained the patience to keep myself from going opening day to buy a game and in the process have saved my self a lot of money. The other day I went out and bought Dishonored for $10, a game in which I had initially thought of buying opening day. It's worth the wait too, as I already have a big enough back log of games to play; why add another one too it by buying a game too early? xD

TY

I buy a game whenever I feel like getting the game, regardless of the price or if there's a sale going on. Though I'm saving up for a gaming laptop so my spendings drop a lot now, unless there is a game I want badly haha.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
    I have a bad habit of a monthly trip to Disc Replay since they have different stock every day and I never know what gem I'll be lucky enough to find. And if I find one game that I want I'll go and buy five more games just because they have a buy 5 get the 6th for free deal and it's always nice to get free games no matter how crappy they are. But I spend on average 60-100 dollars there every month ritually. And it just keeps adding to my backlist, then Gamestop is right next door so after I buy all my retro games and cheaper used 360 games I go and see if I can figure up what's new that I should buy with my leftover change.
    You... are pretty rich, man...
    You spend 60-100 bucks and still have leftover change...?

The first step in deciding whether to buy a game or not is actually when it's first announced. One of my daily activities involves constantly checking video game news websites to see what has been announced for the upcoming months or within the next year.
    Agree with this... =D I also try to check which games are coming out... but then the waiting is really hard =D
    I do not try to gather another info though... If some game really show me potential just in first information, I'm immediately sure to buy it.

Years
    Agree with this... =D I also try to check which games are coming out... but then the waiting is really hard =D
    I do not try to gather another info though... If some game really show me potential just in first information, I'm immediately sure to buy it.

Yeah, the wait can be excruciatingly painful if they announce it, and then don't release it for another like 5 years (I'm looking at you Final Fantasy XV...). That said, if it's a game that's a must-have on my list, I will pre-order months in advance or whenever it's available, either way, I wouldn't mind dropping $60-$70 on the game. Though that does depend on whether I plan to purchase anything else within the month; my sister has instilled in me the frugal, saving ways of budgeting :3

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    When I buy games, it's usually because most of my friends are playing them and I don't want to feel left out. XD; Had a habit of buying new games, but lately, it's started to change; now, I buy used ones so that I could save money. Only time you would see me purchasing new copies these days is when used games are out of stock. They're expensive, but hey, if you were in my shoes, what could you do? I'm a pretty impatient person, and if I want to get my hands on something, I'd do whatever it takes to do it, haha.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years

You... are pretty rich, man...
    You spend 60-100 bucks and still have leftover change...?

I have a lot of money atm because Christmas and my birthday are just far enough apart that I get gifts for both. This year I got like 600 that I was supposed to use for a car.....but I'm terrible at managing money. And soon I'll be getting a job making roughly 400 a month and living with my mom since Ivy Tech is right down the road and I'll be going there next year. So I guess I don't really need a car.

Years
    When I buy games, it's usually because most of my friends are playing them and I don't want to feel left out. XD

XD I did that with Call of Duty: Ghosts, but then pondered a few hours later why in the world I bought the game considering: (1) Not a lot of my friends actually own the PS3; and (2) Those who do, don't really play CoD ;-; Nevertheless, I kept the game, and now it's been sitting on the shelf since the date I got it...That was probably a waste of money due to the fact that I was in my CoD phase.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
    I have a lot of money atm because Christmas and my birthday are just far enough apart that I get gifts for both. This year I got like 600 that I was supposed to use for a car.....but I'm terrible at managing money. And soon I'll be getting a job making roughly 400 a month and living with my mom since Ivy Tech is right down the road and I'll be going there next year. So I guess I don't really need a car.
    It's still 60-100 bucks per month o.O
    It's 720-1200 bucks per year o.O That's some dedication...

XD I did that with Call of Duty: Ghosts, but then pondered a few hours later why in the world I bought the game considering: (1) Not a lot of my friends actually own the PS3; and (2) Those who do, don't really play CoD ;-; Nevertheless, I kept the game, and now it's been sitting on the shelf since the date I got it...That was probably a waste of money due to the fact that I was in my CoD phase.
    You can use it for when you are angry and need to lose steam =D

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years

It's still 60-100 bucks per month o.O
    It's 720-1200 bucks per year o.O That's some dedication...

I used to spend a lot more when I was little. Some months I would get 5 brand new full price games and every month I would get at least one full price game. I have a lot of games...I have like 300 PS1 games, 200 something PS2 games, 20 something gamecube games, and a constantly growing collection of Xbox games. I got my xbox last year for Christmas and I have 42 games for it. And then I have like 10 or so boxes filled with NES, SNES, N64, and Atari games that I got from my aunt when she moved.

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
    I used to spend a lot more when I was little. Some months I would get 5 brand new full price games and every month I would get at least one full price game. I have a lot of games...I have like 300 PS1 games, 200 something PS2 games, 20 something gamecube games, and a constantly growing collection of Xbox games. I got my xbox last year for Christmas and I have 42 games for it. And then I have like 10 or so boxes filled with NES, SNES, N64, and Atari games that I got from my aunt when she moved.
    That's why I said you are rich =D

Years
    I tend to buy new games on Nintendo systems so I can register them on Club Nintendo and get coins for them. Plus I'd like to have the game completely untouched, especially DS and 3DS games.

As for disk games I really don't care as long as they work.

Back