• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Buying new games

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
    That's why I said you are rich =D

If I was rich I would have so much more lol. If I was rich I wouldn't have to choose between which games I wanted I'd just go in with a shopping cart and run my hand across the shelf and throw in all the games they had and not even worry about if I got dupes or scratched discs.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    I try to only buy games that I'm really interested in. If it's a game I've been waiting on for a really long time, I'll buy it right away on its release date. Otherwise, I'll try to wait for it to go on sale. Occasionally I'll buy games on a whim if they're cheap enough. I should wait longer before getting new games because my backlog is absolutely ridiculous but... it's a bad habit I've yet to kick.

I don't buy used if I can help it, though. I'd rather the money and sales figures go to the game's developer/publisher than a reseller.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    With used old games, I pretty much buy on impulse, though sometimes I do plan to look for certain games, and those will get priority if I see them. I always plan for new games, since those tend to run higher...unless you're talking about going and buying Earthbound or Chrono Trigger lmao. Those can be the same price as a console depending on where you look. @_@ But I generally stick to old games anyway, so most of my game purchases in general are older ones. And I don't wait to finish other games before buying. I'm slow at playing games and I also don't want to risk the game getting bought up before I can beat my other games.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    I buy games as and when I please! I don't mind if I've not finished playing another game yet because if that game is good enough I'll end up going back to it regardless. I do enjoy having some variety in the games I play though so I've certainly got nothing against playing lots at once. The only time this doesn't tend to apply is when I'm either super addicted to a game or when I'm playing an rpg with an extremely gripping story since I just don't want to put them down, but aside from that I'm usually fine with buying games whenever!

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
    Years
    I only buy games at full price if I'm really interested in it. Other than that, I'll mostly get games on sale. Never used though. I rarely get games used, and that's if it's from a friend only.

But, I do not wait til I beat the current games I have before buying a new game. If I did that, I can tell you for sure that my backlog would be a lot smaller than it is now, haha.

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
    Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen today
    To be honest, I only buy new games whenever I have the money and feel like playing something new. The length of time between purchases differs, so more often than not, I've already beaten the latest game I've bought by the time I go out to buy another one.

Years
    To be honest, I only buy new games whenever I have the money and feel like playing something new. The length of time between purchases differs, so more often than not, I've already beaten the latest game I've bought by the time I go out to buy another one.

If only I had your kind of perseverance with finishing games before going off to buy another ;-; That's probably the main reason why I have such a large backlog of games, besides the fact that I accidentally deleted my PSN account, and have to replay everything. But like yourself, the time between purchasing games does differ for me because the industry will suddenly throw all the games I'm interested in within a matter of weeks, and my will power for waiting until I'm done all other games to get them is next to nothing XD

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I agonize over buying games, just like every other leisure purpose. Sometimes I have to tell myself flat-out "I am going to buy this game when it comes out. This is necessary," because otherwise I'll talk myself out of it before it comes out even if I really want it.

Salamence62

you're gonna hear me rawr :3
    Years
    i buy any game whenever i can and play it whenever i can. cx i don't care if i haven't finished the other half of the franchise at all, i just want moar video games! :3

TheWanap

Developing: Pokemon: Cursed Time
    Years
    Well, I've beated like all my games, so I dont need to care about that. I just buy new games if I've hyped those for long time (like Pokemon B/W series and Pokemon X and Y). In fact, I dont buy so much games like my friends, only 1-2 in year.

Years
    I think buying a physical copy of a game brand new for $50 or more is a big waste of money unless it's a game that takes a long time to beat, or has a lot of replay value to it. For a price that big you could be buying that same game used for less, plus an extra game or two.

If you have a lot of memory on your system, going digital is better in my opinion. You'll be able to download your game on multiple systems if you need too, and there's always the option to delete to save space and re-download later. Download versions of games tend to be cheaper most of the time as well.

Harmonious Fusion

over the rainbow, there's a glorious sight
    Years
    I buy new games whenever I have money and there's a game I'm strongly interested in. Or when there's a Steam sale. I sometimes buy more than I originally plan to when they have a sale going on.

Years
    I usually buy new games if I know I'm able to play them. Usually I'm aiming for games that are quite easy haha.

Same here. Actually, I generally keep within the same genre of games that I know I'm able to beat within a matter of days, playing 12-14 hours each. But then again, with RPG games, which are the type I normally play, I could just easily grind to a high enough level where the difficulty is non-existent XD

I buy new games whenever I have money and there's a game I'm strongly interested in. Or when there's a Steam sale. I sometimes buy more than I originally plan to when they have a sale going on.

I've only bought from the Steam sale once, and that's probably the only time when I'll be patient enough to wait for game prices to drop because they're PC games, and I'm more of a console gamer. Just today, I bought Katamari Forever for full price, which is surprising considering the game's been out for quite some time...And Time & Eternity was bought at $20.

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    I almost always buy new. I only buy used if I can't find something and I waited to long.

I've done this only once with Donkey Kong: Jungle Beat on the Wii

Eevee3

╰( ´・ω・)つ━☆゚.* ・。゚
    Years
    I rarely beat games. xD I don't really own many games where you can just beat them. Most of the games I own kinda never end, such as Pokemon or Animal Crossing. So that leads me to the answer of this question. I definitely buy games whenever a new one comes out that I really want. I don't buy a new game every week though. I take it slowly and ask for games for my Birthday or Christmas. :)

Years
    Time & Eternity is a super cute game!
    But you might not like it... it's filled with cute girls, HanaKana, cute visuals, HanaKana and a bit sloppy RPG system =D

Ah, yeah, despite the negative responses from critics, and the less than enthusiastic reviews about it, I gave it the benefit of the doubt anyway. To me, $20 isn't that much to spend on a game regardless of whether it obtained good or bad reviews; it was a new one as well, so not too bad :P Though the obscene prices of $70 kind of deters me from buying the newer releases unless it's an absolute must-have for me D:

T The Manager

RealTalkRealFlow
    Years
    I only buy "new" games if I gotta pay for the online pass since it's cheaper that way or if I know for a fact the games gonna be good. But a lot of the times I buy used games and sometimes I'll just randomly walk into a store and buy a used game cause I wanna burn a hole in my pocket or I got friends that play those games.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    Most of my games are bought during Steam sales or Humble Bundles, but if there's a new game I've been eyeing since it was first announced, I may get it at launch, even if it's a little pricier. Some games are discounted if you pre-order, like South Park: Stick of Truth, so sometimes I'll do that, too, for games I don't want to wait for.

Back