• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

how racist are people in u.s.?

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2019
    i want to get your american perceptive on this issue.

In my university, majority of people are non white. Yet most white people tend to date each other.

I rarely seen Asian men and white women. I never seen Asian men with black women... i am serious

And the city that i live in is very diverse.....

The Void

hiiiii
    Years
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism_in_the_United_States#Contemporary_issues_in_American_racism

Racism is still alive today, but not only in America. But since you were specific, here's what I got from Wikipedia:

Racial politics remains a major phenomenon. Racism continues to be reflected in socioeconomic inequality, and has taken on more modern, indirect forms of expression, most prevalently symbolic racism. Racial stratification continues to occur in employment, housing, education, lending, and government.

Last edited:

Tek

Years

In my university, majority of people are non white. Yet most white people tend to date each other.

I rarely seen Asian men and white women. I never seen Asian men with black women... i am serious

If you pay attention, you'll see that all races tend to hang out with people of the same color. It's not just white folks. Does that mean that everyone hates the other colors, or does it just mean that people feel more comfortable around others who are similar?

Besides that, do you think that Americans are perfect angels or something? We're human like everyone else.

In other words, racism is everywhere....
    and i DONT buy excuse such as i love my job, i dont care low paid . no 1 love low paid job. I respect Mexican people who do backbreaking job but not american who just retailing, MacDonald .
    In first world countries such as U.S., there is no excuse. I don't have much respect for people who
    born in america, speak English, in his/her 30 and still doing menial jobs. Seriously, these menial jobs
    are for immigrants who English skill are not good. They have much opportunites in america and all
    they know is cleaning, retailing etc... they are lazy.
    Let me put in this way. If you born in america, and you are in your 30s and still doing low- skill job, you deserve to be look down upon.

If you are immigrant and don't speak English well, it is understandable that you do low skill job in america so you don't deserve to be look down upon.

are we agree on that?
    People are different so you have to treat people base on what they deserve.

People are people, brother.

Years
    I don't consider it racism, it's just that people have racial preferences when it comes to their partners. I don't notice too many interracial couples with Asian males either, and I think that's an observation most people find. I'm sure there's a deep sociological explanation for it involving the intersection of race and masculinity.

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    There is a misconception that the South is racist as a whole, which is not true, but quite a few racists do live in the United States -- everywhere. It is found in both diverse and non-diverse areas. One race blames another on problems all the time due to socioeconomic status.

e.g.
    "The white upper class is keeping us down."
    "The damned Mexicans are always out making tons of noise outside."

The problems in America pretty much all relate to socioeconomic status. The rich are always putting down those lower than them and minorities have had a harder time getting a foothold because of it. Also, many people who travel down South at first think we're all horribly racist, then realize some of the things for themselves -- some people really do embody stereotypes. Like hollering at the movie screen in a horror movie -- I've witnessed it myself MANY times.

Years

I've said this before in another thread yesterday actually, and my response was basically that people are generally attracted to those of the same culture and/or race. I think nowadays though, society is becoming, if not already, more accepting of individuals stepping outside their cultural boundaries, and participating in interracial relationships. Also, you can't really extrapolate what you see within your community to the rest of the world \:

But in general, there will always be racism and/or discrimination towards minority groups, or even majority groups. The evidence might not be as distinct as it was back in the 1900s, but they are subtle, and it still exists. There will be individuals who shrug it off, and there will be individuals who will get defensive, blowing it out of proportion.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    You can't really...quantify racism. Often European countries will claim that they are less racist than the US, but every country in every area has racism and there's no way to quantify each microaggression, each racist act, to find out which is the worst.

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    I think that most European countries try to say they aren't racist but they're just subtle about it, not blatant like the KKK and etc. I know that immigrants get discriminated on quite a bit in Europe.

Years
    I think that most European countries try to say they aren't racist but they're just subtle about it, not blatant like the KKK and etc. I know that immigrants get discriminated on quite a bit in Europe.

Could be due to the multiculturalism level being lower than that of North American countries like Canada, or United States perhaps? Just a thought. For example, this random situation that came across in my head: their first instinct when they see a foreigner (in their mind, but the individual has actually lived there their entire life) would be to give weird looks, and have behaviours that could be classified as racist. I've never been to Europe so I have no idea what the multiculturalism is like in those countries, but over here in North America, we're comfortable with seeing people who are different from us.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Who says Europe isn't racist...? Just take a look at the recent EU elections. Eastern Europeans face discrimination from the west, Muslims face just as much discrimination in the UK (and other countries I am sure) as they do in the USA... you have historic (for lack of a better word) rivalries, such as Ireland and England, or Spain and Catalonia which still produces stereotypes... and I could go on.

You can find plenty of proudly vocal racist groups in every European country I have ever been to. There is no subtlety about it.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
    It is impossible to quantify something like racism. How would one even begin doing so?

I think that racism is slowly starting to die down despite what we've seen in recent weeks.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I don't see how basing who's dating who is enough to warrant the question about how many racist people are in America, especially when you're only judging by your community which is small and doesn't compare to the rest of the country. For example, I see a lot of interracial couples here. Is that enough to assume it's like that all over the country? No. It's not.

And like others have said, you can't just count the number of racists in a country. I'm sure that there's also the fact that some people are racist and wouldn't want to admit that, so how would you count them? I'm sure you could get an average, but still.

Crux

Evermore
    Years
    This isn't exactly about somebody being racist, as much as it is about personal attraction. Yes, the majority of people tend to find partners in their own racial group, but that's more likely just a matter of familiarity.

And, I don't know guys, this sure seems like reverse "My SO is black" logic, to me. . .

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2019
    This isn't exactly about somebody being racist, as much as it is about personal attraction. Yes, the majority of people tend to find partners in their own racial group, but that's more likely just a matter of familiarity.

And, I don't know guys, this sure seems like reverse "My SO is black" logic, to me. . .

personal attraction is racist... i dont care what anyone say... that y we dont see men of color as
    a leading role is many movies... because people perfer white actor/ actreesss

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    As I said in the thread that I made on the topic earlier, sexual attraction is not something we have control over. Calling it racist to be attracted to people of a certain race is as absurd as calling it racist to have a certain skin color.

Years
    I think this thread has become too similar to this one, among other things. Let's avoid the racially-tinged threads in the future. Which means, in laymans terms, that you can discuss people's attitudes on race without espousing racist viewpoints. Which is what I've seen so far.

Closed.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back