• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Mac OS

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Mac is one of world's most popular operating systems out there, right beside Windows. Do have any computer that runs it? If so, how are you liking it so far? If you don't, have you ever tried it before? What were your thoughts when you did? Are you planning to purchase any Apple computer at some point in future? What are some things that you dislike about Mac, and why? If you were to change anything about this OS, what would it be, and how would it be working?

PinkCatDragon

The 17 year old programer. Now byte off
Years
Mac is one of world's most popular operating systems out there, right beside Windows. Do have any computer that runs it? If so, how are you liking it so far? If you don't, have you ever tried it before? What were your thoughts when you did? Are you planning to purchase any Apple computer at some point in future? What are some things that you dislike about Mac, and why? If you were to change anything about this OS, what would it be, and how would it be working?
Ive tried mac once. i liked the fluid menu system and the idea of dmg file format. my main dislike is that getting wine too play windows games on it is awkward as hell. if i could change anythink about it i would make its code base more open to the community. allowing wine to be an easy install dmg.
Once you got wine playing windows games: easy. also i found this amazing wine has more compatablity with games than windows 8 XD.
As for buying a mac probley no. why spend that amount of money on a unix based os. when linux would be cheaper

Zet

Years
I recently tried it at school, it was a neat experience but I wish I had the time to figure out volume control and keyboard shortcuts. As for buying one? I'll be getting loaned one from the school within a few months, and once I graduate it's mine to keep.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
Yup, I've got one. Living in California it's kinda odd to not have a Mac, since Silicon Valley/Apple is like, right there. The last time I owned a PC I was probably 5 years old and on the opposite side of the country.

Gonna be honest though, I really hate how I'm so used to Macs. PCs seem so much superior to them, with a plus that almost everything is built for them (programs, games, etc). Also with the fact that I am pretty sure Apple only designs their products to last a couple of years so you'll come crawling back to buy another. I really don't have anything specific that I'd change, only that I wish they'd last longer and be magically compatible with PC files. I know, it's not possible but hey I said magically.

Years
One thing I wish Mac OS X has is the ability to maximize Safari, or at least not to where I have to drag it to the edges of the screen. Unless I missed something, I've never been aware of such an option.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
Years
I do, and I love it. I love the system because it hardly ever changes, if at all. I'm not very big on changes, and I also can't stand windows 8. I just... don't like it one bit. I have an older mac laptop that has it, and yeah... I absolutely love it so far. I've figured out a lot of things on it. The only thing I don't like about is that you don't get things like Paint with Windows, but that's about it. I have tried Wine though, so I've used a lot of the loopholes and stuff. XD

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 21, 2024
One thing I wish Mac OS X has is the ability to maximize Safari, or at least not to where I have to drag it to the edges of the screen. Unless I missed something, I've never been aware of such an option.

Hit the green + sign to maximize a window.

Years
Personally, the ease of use regarding the OS X is one of the reasons why I purchased my MacBook 3 years ago. The only thing that has been constantly bothering me is the lacking ability to play games. Before the MacBook, I used a couple HP laptops running Windows OS and I thoroughly enjoyed playing MMORPGs, but now that's possible because of the enormous amount of lag that comes with trying.

For instance, I still have Guild Wars 2 downloaded on the OS X, but have only touched it once or twice. Same goes for League. So yeah, that's the only downfall of the system in my opinion.

Altius

Flygon Fan
Years
I have 2 laptops in use: a very old Compaq (used rarely now) and a MacBook Pro with Retina Display. I have always used Windows, until my crap Acer laptop broke down entirely after one year of purchase (and it's just a week or so after the warranty period!). I decided to give OS X a shot since I use iPhones primarily.

Did take me awhile to get used to the OS (dmg files instead of exe, multitouch gestures etc.) but once I got the hang of it, I love it. It's silky smooth. Very fast - but that could also be because my laptop uses full SSD.

One issue I have with OS X is iPhoto. I have to say, it's terrible. I have to import all of my photos to iPhoto from my SD card or iPhone which clogs up my already limited memory (128GB). I went on a trip to Europe once and took over 50GB of photos using a DSLR but I used my old Compaq to view the photos because of this crap iPhoto limitation. And yes, I considered an external HDD but iPhoto is generally shyt.

I'm really glad that Apple has decided to discontinue iPhoto with OS X Yosemite and replace it with a really promising Photos app. That said, OS X Yosemite looks amazing. I've already enrolled myself into the beta program and can't wait to try it out.

Back