• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you think the writers and the (dub) actors are incompetent?

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    I only find BW to be bad writing. Everything else I enjoyed a lot. Even XY is a major improvement over BW. It was obvious BW was trying to reset everything and around the end of season 1 they were like screw it. The BW games were good and if that was brought into the anime I would like to think BW would of been bearable. I still feel as if BW was dumbed down. It just seems so out of place to me when compared to OS,AG,DP and XY. I'm not sure what it is but it feels weird. Maybe it is due to (for me) everyone was just unlikeable Ash was terrible,Iris was horrible,Cilan was annoying Team Rocket had no personality the rivals were meh except Georgia? (I forget her name). Even the league felt very idk.... Heck even Dawn was OOC to me.

I do like XY a lot better. Sycamore has had tons of screen time in season 1 alone and Ash is back in his game. Plus the trio are enjoyable again. Not to mention the friends are fun. Again my opinions so I';m not claiming anything to be like "That is fact so deal with it" XD

As for Ashwinning a league this could be the time and here is why the league was mentioned by him early and idk but it felt like this time he wanted to win. Not saying he did not want to before but I felt the writing was foreshadowing something. Plus the first gym brought back Ash and training like he did in AG and DP but was gone in BW. Now take Grant's gym into consideration. It was not a simple gym battle but had him using all his Pokemon for a twist. Now it would seem he needs to take on his first mega vs Korrina. I would not be shocked if each gym in Kalos is going to be a twist challenging Ash in new ways. Also this could be the last league maybe or even the last Ash focus series since the 20th is coming up and I would not be shocked if we get a time skip with Ash being a mentor to a new trainer. I would rather have that than replace him all together. But again my opinions.

I can't comment on whether XY is the last series or not, or how better it is than BW (I really do hope it's better, though, considering how much of a disaster that was from what I read and heard. The only redeemable aspects are that Iris is closer to not being a Hina stereotype than May and Dawn were. Whether she actually Misty or not is unknown, though, and they at least had Ash actually mentioning his Kanto team, even the ones that weren't his starters), though I do hope Ash actually wins a league for once. It would more than make up for the really horrible turnout that was the Unova League. And for the record, I also hope its the last Pokémon anime series, period, especially considering that the Pokémon games do not need the anime to sell anything (Mario, Sonic, Zelda, and Mega Man didn't need DiC's TV shows to sell their games, why should Pokémon?), and it's frankly getting tedious trying to keep things intact in my mind with all the continuity problems the show has been having anyways. I don't know whether Serena's a Hina stereotype or not, or if she's closer to Misty's spectrum than to May/Dawn's spectrum (I don't know about Iris, either, since I never watched BW or XY).

And yeah, I have to agree with you on Dawn. Being the predecessor to Iris or not, she frankly shouldn't have gone to Unova at all, as there was absolutely no point to her being there. Misty at least didn't have a goal she was pursuing (not that she had a choice not to pursue it no thanks to her sisters basically leaving the gym unattended for three months and their being broken birds), and even May at least came to Sinnoh to get a trans-regional ribbon for her trek through the Johto region. Unova doesn't even have Pokémon Contests of ANY sort, so why should she basically interrupt her own goals in Hoenn to go to Unova? Ash doesn't do that with any of his old friends, so why should she?

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    This debate is ridiculous, as the anime is designed for new kids every saga while the previous kids outgrow the anime. The writers do not expect 25 year old adults who watched Kanto to still be following the show

The target audience is 6-11 year old kids who have never seen the older seasons and have no idea who Misty is. I don't know why people can't comprehend this. Even May and Dawn are rather old now that current kids probably don't know them either if they started watching recently.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    This debate is ridiculous, as the anime is designed for new kids every saga while the previous kids outgrow the anime. The writers do not expect 25 year old adults who watched Kanto to still be following the show

The target audience is 6-11 year old kids who have never seen the older seasons and have no idea who Misty is. I don't know why people can't comprehend this. Even May and Dawn are rather old now that current kids probably don't know them either if they started watching recently.

Kids can always look them up on the internet or watch reruns/DVDs, so not knowing them is not an excuse.

And BTW, the writers current actions are actually driving away even the target demographic (and their target demographic is actually the most prevalent, precisely because it's the least restricted), not just the 25 year old fans. As Famon pointed out, right now Pokémon's the 8th most watched Anime now, when a while back it was the 2nd most watched, and Dogasu even noted that the first XY movie did terribly in the box offices, especially compared to prior films. And considering how Takeshi Shudo actually regretted removing Misty as well as the shift to a pure-kids-only style anime rather than a family anime, I'd say even some executives realize what they are doing is a mistake.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    I find the fact when DP was on and my siblings were younger when there friends came over and watched my dvds they knew as far back as the Indigo arc. So I do agree kids do watch older arcs too. I mean Boomerang shows them plus we have Youtube and Netflix.

Yeah, and they had an entire weekend marathon for Kanto, Orange Islands, Johto, Hoenn, and Battle Frontier on Cartoon Network just before officially airing Diamond and Pearl (ie, they actually premiered the series rather than merely string the first three episodes of DP into an hour-and-a-half special like in March.), something they wouldn't have done if the target demographic didn't watch the prior episodes at all.

Years
  • Yeah, and they had an entire weekend marathon for Kanto, Orange Islands, Johto, Hoenn, and Battle Frontier on Cartoon Network just before officially airing Diamond and Pearl (ie, they actually premiered the series rather than merely string the first three episodes of DP into an hour-and-a-half special like in March.), something they wouldn't have done if the target demographic didn't watch the prior episodes at all.

Plus they brought Charizard back and even mentioned Misty and Tracey at the end of BW. If the anime was only for new kids they would just ignore the past. Actually BW had a lot of past references now that I think about it. I think people just get moody things they want don't always happen

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Plus they brought Charizard back and even mentioned Misty and Tracey at the end of BW. If the anime was only for new kids they would just ignore the past. Actually BW had a lot of past references now that I think about it. I think people just get moody things they want don't always happen

Yeah, though honestly, they still should have covered the World Conference (since that was actually something from the games). Would have at least put a certain character to rest, anyways, if done right.

Years
  • Yeah, though honestly, they still should have covered the World Conference (since that was actually something from the games). Would have at least put a certain character to rest, anyways, if done right.

That tournament was a missed chance to do a really huge tourney with past people. It could of been a huge one with old friends. Misty,May,Dawn even Gary could return to get into battling again for a bit. Would of loved to see Barry vs Bianca too. Would really loved to see James in it or at least one of those Battle Club tournaments. I have wanted to see James do something "legal" for a long time now. I feel as if he was not evil he would make one darn good trainer.

I find it interesting how they pretty much are ignoring BW happened for the most part. Team Rocket never kept the Unova Pokemon but gave them to the boss which struck me as very odd for them plus Wobbuffett came back. I can't help but feel as if the writers wanted to do something new with BW but did not really do what the fans liked. Granted to this day the tail end of DP felt like it was supposed to have another ending than the one we got and with how BW came out of nowhere in early 2010 I would not be shocked if the writers were sniped out of where they wanted to do. While we will never know for sure I'm glad the BW formula was not carried over to XY. Really enjoying the Korrina arc and think it is really well down plus Ash is doing really well while still being goofy but not sacrificing battle skills for it. Honesty he is like Luffy now which I'm fine with.

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2016
    Weedle, I often see you saying that AG and BW were bad solely because Ash didn't increase in rank at the Pokémon league. If Ash was to increase in rank during each series, then he would have had to place really low in the first series, or else it wouldn't be possible for him to increase any further past BW. But that's not my point. There is much more to a series than Ash's results in the Pokémon league, and I really don't think that Ash's position in the league should have that much of an impact on your opinion of an entire series. Something that the writers attempted during AG through BW was putting less emphasis on Ash and giving some of the spotlight to other characters. It worked fairly well in AG and DP, with May and Dawn, but they took it a step further by trying to juggle an entire group of rivals for Ash, Iris, and Cilan during BW, which didn't work so well (although it had great potential).

Because OS put so much focus on Ash, many viewers tend to think of him as the only slice of importance in the entire medium. Ash is certainly an important character, but there is more to the anime than just Ash. The writers have been trying to tell us that for over ten years by putting more focus on other characters, but many viewers still aren't listening.

Does Ash retaining his position of being in the top 8 qualify AG for being skippable? Well, it's a matter of opinion. Some viewers watch the show to see Ash improve, which is fun but also a very one-sided view of the medium. Other viewers watch the show for the experience; seeing a different and more immerse side of the Pokémon world that they can't experience through the games, which is something that the writers have been excelling at imo, and has consistently been improved on since OS. How do they do that? By taking the features that were creating during OS and expanding upon them and taking them a step further throughout each series.

What characters could possibly be more important that Ash (or Pikachu for that matter)? Oh, you mean the random traveling companions that are introduced and then retired at the end of every new region? Or do you mean the many forgettable COTDs.

I just want to see Ash win a League Conference for once, and still continue "da journey". Along with no more pointless/frilly contests (especially since neither girls manage to win the Grand Festivals; May failed twice), and no more girls like Misty or Iris. Ash is a big boy now and doesn't need Misty's temper/physical abuse or Iris' snarky uncalled-for comments.

And if the writers really felt that things other than Ash's journey were important, they would focus on Giovanni and the entire Team Rocket syndicate, Red, the true terminology of a Pokemon Master, Ho-Oh, Missingno., EV training, a brand-new story for the GS Ball, and where the hell is Ash's father!

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    What characters could possibly be more important that Ash (or Pikachu for that matter)? Oh, you mean the random traveling companions that are introduced and then retired at the end of every new region? Or do you mean the many forgettable COTDs.

I just want to see Ash win a League Conference for once, and still continue "da journey". Along with no more pointless/frilly contests (especially since neither girls manage to win the Grand Festivals; May failed twice), and no more girls like Misty or Iris. Ash is a big boy now and doesn't need Misty's temper/physical abuse or Iris' snarky uncalled-for comments.

And if the writers really felt that things other than Ash's journey were important, they would focus on Giovanni and the entire Team Rocket syndicate, Red, the true terminology of a Pokemon Master, Ho-Oh, Missingno., EV training, a brand-new story for the GS Ball, and where the hell is Ash's father!

To be fair, DP did come very close to explaining the true terminology of what a Pokémon Master is (namely, he has to not only win a league, but also defeat the regional E4 and Champion to attain the rank), and I suspect the only reason Ash went to BW was because the writers ran out of time to have Ash win the league before the release of Generation 5 thanks to focusing too much effort on fillers. Heck, Giovanni actually did receive focus to some extent in BW (Ash even fought him).

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    I'll just say this. Misty is a beach. She gave Ash a hard time, she gave Brock a hard time. And she is especially frosty to Team Rocket (even more so than anyone else). I hope she never ever comes back. Serena seems to be an improvement over any female lead who has ever traveled with Ash. And I hope Serena remains as nice as she is, and does not take notes from Mirror Serena. Afterall, Max got worse after the first season of AG. Look the the opening of Advance Challenge, and Brock's ear. All Serena needs is a few more Pokemon. I don't care if she doesn't get to do anything, just as long as doesn't turn into Misty or Sakura Haruno.

Ya , Even though Misty was ***** , She was loved by Majority of fans !
    And she's still loved !
    What ya think ? That Nice guy are better ! Your watching an Anime and Fans like *****s more then your nice girl .
    Thats why Tsundere are more popular in Japan .
    Thats why Ursula is more Popular then Zoey ! Because Fans liked her Bad-girl personality.
    Misty gave Ash & Brock hard time , But she made us laugh more then any other girl did. Misty is one of reason why Original series were so much entertaining then other series . Because Misty being a Bad-girl mange to do thing that a Nice girl can never achieve.

Nice girl are plain Boring ! They are only interesting when the Protagonist has One-sided feeling for them.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Ya , Even though Misty was ***** , She was loved by Majority of fans !
    And she's still loved !
    What ya think ? That Nice guy are better ! Your watching an Anime and Fans like *****s more then your nice girl .
    Thats why Tsundere are more popular in Japan .
    Thats why Ursula is more Popular then Zoey ! Because Fans liked her Bad-girl personality.
    Misty gave Ash & Brock hard time , But she made us laugh more then any other girl did. Misty is one of reason why Original series were so much entertaining then other series . Because Misty being a Bad-girl mange to do thing that a Nice girl can never achieve.

Nice girl are plain Boring ! They are only interesting when the Protagonist has One-sided feeling for them.

Yeah, and besides, Misty isn't even that bad anyways. She did give support for Ash even when she could just as easily leave him right then and there, and there were quite a few episodes where she did show compassion, even helping those who have wronged her. And in fact, the reason why Misty is popular, at least here in the States, is because she's a mixture of the good and the bad, specifically, she managed to pursue her goals without being made butch. Just be thankful that Misty's at least not a man-hating feminist, as I've had an encounter with one (and believe me, the woman I had to deal with as a professor was infinitely worse than Misty ever could be).

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2016
    Pokemon writers, if you are reading this, DO NOT consider bringing back Misty! Consider everything else mentioned on this thread, but her or Iris! We need no baggage from female leads (especially when Ash is far too passive nowadays to argue back).

Also, it's not fair to call Serena boring for being nice. But if you want that kind of entertainment, go watch an anime by Rumiko Takahashi and pretend that P-chan, Shippo, and Kiara are Pokemon. It's why we can't have nice things, because all the wrong people hate nice.

So if we get some hot-tempered out-of-control jerkasse tsundere, it will be because of you Misty fans and the reasons why you demand her so much, just like we got Sonic 4: Episode I due to the many complaints of Sonic 1 purists.

And no, I DON'T care how popular tsundere is. That isn't exactly a good thing.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Pokemon writers, if you are reading this, DO NOT consider bringing back Misty! Consider everything else mentioned on this thread, but her or Iris! We need no baggage from female leads (especially when Ash is far too passive nowadays to argue back).

Also, it's not fair to call Serena boring for being nice. But if you want that kind of entertainment, go watch an anime by Rumiko Takahashi and pretend that P-chan, Shippo, and Kiara are Pokemon. It's why we can't have nice things, because all the wrong people hate nice.

So if we get some hot-tempered out-of-control jerkasse tsundere, it will be because of you Misty fans and the reasons why you demand her so much, just like we got Sonic 4: Episode I due to the many complaints of Sonic 1 purists.

And no, I DON'T care how popular tsundere is. That isn't exactly a good thing.

First of all, Misty was far more than a tsundere or a jerk. I've seen plenty of episodes where she actually was nice. In fact, that's the reason why she's popular right now. You might be thinking of Naru Narusegawa, who was much worse than Misty can ever be. And that's actually documented fact that Misty is unique even among tsunderes, just look it up on Wikipedia, they even have sources for it. Heck, DBZ Fan even posted some sources. I can even name a few episodes where she actually was nice: There was the Eevee episode, the bit with Oddish halfway through the episode Ash captured Bulbasaur, the Exeggcute episode, heck, the fact that she actually confronted Ritchie after she (for perfectly understandable reasons) assumed he sent Ash on a fool's errand specifically to sabotage the League. Heck, just look at the Tentacool and Tentacruel episode as well, heck she was pretty much the reason why the town WASN'T further destroyed.

And would you consider Maron from DBZ a "nice girl?" Just curious (oh, and before you answer, let me make clear I mean Maron as in Krillin's ex-flame, not his daughter with Android 18, you know, this lady.).

Besides, even if she can't return to the main cast, Misty definitely needs to, you know, actually pursue her goal, not simply be beaten up by rookies at a gym. At least May and Dawn, heck, even Iris are actually pursuing their goals. And even Brock and Gary actually switched goals. And Max and Tracey technically fulfilled their goals. Misty didn't even do any of that, as she's effectively in limbo right now. Even you have to at least agree to that.

And BTW, don't even bother with the writers reading this, because they won't. They never even responded to me when I actually sent them a letter, much less answered yes, and this was despite giving solid arguments as well as a pretty clear ultimatum as well, so why would they read something on this forum.

Anyways, as mentioned before, pretty much everything in there besides Misty returning.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen May 10, 2016
    Episode 3. Nuff said.

All she has to do now is yell at Ash once, pull Brock's ear once, treat Team Rocket with more hostility than they actually deserve ("Viva Las Lapras" and "Forest Grumps") once, and it's no longer up for discussion. She is done. She is outta here!

And that's only if the writers start listening to the wrong people and actually stoop as low as to make that move. In the meantime, they had better not make Serena anything like Misty. She's a purity godsend compared to Iris. Keep it that way.

Clemont scolding Bonnie is enough as it is (if it's absolutely required that the Kalos gang have a member with at least one negative quirk, at the expense of another character), let alone the return of failure Team Rocket and Ash's perpetual Pokemon League losing streak. Let Serena remain the Token Nice Girl/Person, if a Token Killjoy is absolutely mandatory.

Even though we only have 69 new pokemon and tons of annoying filler to compensate, they can still make this XY series work as long as they don't add any extra baggage. And it will all be worth it if Ash actually wins the Kalos League, or even attains Mega Evolution for that matter.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Episode 3. Nuff said.

All she has to do now is yell at Ash once, pull Brock's ear once, treat Team Rocket with more hostility than they actually deserve ("Viva Las Lapras" and "Forest Grumps") once, and it's no longer up for discussion. She is done. She is outta here!

And that's only if the writers start listening to the wrong people and actually stoop as low as to make that move. In the meantime, they had better not make Serena anything like Misty. She's a purity godsend compared to Iris. Keep it that way.

Clemont scolding Bonnie is enough as it is (if it's absolutely required that the Kalos gang have a member with at least one negative quirk, at the expense of another character), let alone the return of failure Team Rocket and Ash's perpetual Pokemon League losing streak. Let Serena remain the Token Nice Girl/Person, if a Token Killjoy is absolutely mandatory.

Even though we only have 69 new pokemon and tons of annoying filler to compensate, they can still make this XY series work as long as they don't add any extra baggage. And it will all be worth it if Ash actually wins the Kalos League, or even attains Mega Evolution for that matter.

So let me get this straight, if she does those things even once, you dismiss her? You do realize that, by that logic, that would give you enough reason to hate Brock, Team Rocket, heck, even Ash, pretty much EVERY character save for possibly Ritchie, right (and I'm pretty sure even Serena has done these things at least once as well), since they did those stuff at least once as well, right?

And you still haven't answered my question: Do you consider Maron, Krillin's ex-girlfriend from DBZ a nice girl by your definition? Or, adding onto it, Kandi from Two and a Half Men (you know, Alan's girlfriend after he divorced his wife, but before meeting Lyndsey?)?

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2018
    To Kid Sonic: You might want to rewatch OS.
    Sure sometime Misty would be yelling at Ash or be rude(who wouldnt given how bratty and childish he used to act back in day?). But most of time her sarcasm, playful teasing or arguing served as push to prevent Ash from fooling around, start training his pokemon and made sure to teach him how to avoid trouble. Often gave him lot of moral support, compassion and encouragement being always by his side showing lot of nurturing and unsekfish side like true friend would. Helped Brock with tips about romance, showed great deal mof concern whenever he was sick or felt let down having their moments of annoyance, joking and talks about dreams like real friends do.

In beginning she used to be more violent, rude and sometime could have come of as too harsh. But knowing Misty tragic past being abandoned by parents at very young age, constantly living in shadow of three egocentric sisters which belittled her and neglected having al the fun while giving Misty leftovers treating her as outcast. Being demeaned and not receiving affection from anyone. This greatly defined Misty personality and left emotional impact on her psyche having to learn grow on her own. While developing need to be tough, selfsufficient and rough. Using rude exterior as mask, cover up to hide her own insecurities, fears being lonely girl which searched for attention and love she never received.

We can notice how much pent up aggresion and frustration there existed inside Misty formed toward her family and outside world(such as in battle for Cerulean badge, Princess Festival, mermaid episode when she resembled Ariel, diving into Misty past when she tried to play tambourine as child with sisters breaking it down(i think it was Wooper episode from Johto). With Misty through Ash and Brock companionship becoming alot more open and selfcritic as person over time. Sharing with them her dreams, supressed resentment she holded for her family and own lack of confidenc,. Gradually becoming closer toward them , discovering her own talents and vrtues becoming much more appreciative, caring and supportive of her two friends. Which meant everything to her, to the point of confessing to people like Sakura from Johto how "Ash and Brock are her family she never really had".
    Not to mention starting to cry and be highly upset when she had to leave them at end of Johto speaking volumes of how much she grew to love both wanting to stick with them.

If that didn't showed how she was in reality just misundestood having kind heart, than i dont know what would.

Also friction and drama Misty brought in interactions with others at time only made chemistry more realistic imo being natural that friends sometime argue or try to outplay themselves, rather than alwys being ranbows and sunshine in their interactions. Being part of who she is, person who is loyal and kind, but also strongwilled, competent and fiery not letting others to squash her like bug and put down.
    Hence why Misty imo made group feel complete , giving to anime identity(her own signature) and great deal of comedy, playful charm she used to brought making things more lively.

Not minding to see her back being great character and clearly having lot of unexplored things about her water dreams and what Whirl Cupo or E4 Lorelei establushed, interests in becoming renowned and powerful top trainer, not learning how to bring out full strength of pokemon on surface establiashing closer bond with them(something she could achieve through mega evolution becoming better trainer). And learn many new things about her to better understand her personality, passions and way to achieve her goals.
    Improving quality of this show for me by bringing more continuity, references to past, life into group dynamic of Kalos cast making it abit more varied(like helping Serena to find herself in journey) and new twist to story by following more mature, experienced traner ging in new, fresh directions in breaking new steps in achieving dreams.

Showing how writers are caring about Ash journey by giving look into former events which helped mold him as person, series history and past companions many people like and would like to see again in building their stories forward. Improving current quality.

Lizardo

Public Enemy
    Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    Forgot all about this thread...

DBZ fan said:
    As far as Ash traveling companion treatment being indicator of writers becoming better orgnized and more skilled; implying Misty served as test subject on which they learned how to do better job with others later on.
    I didn't mean to suggest that Kasumi was created as a "test subject", but that future female companions (except maybe Serena, but we'll see where that goes) would go on to do far more than simply round out the group dynamics and that the writers deserve some praise for building on that.

We have to understand how pokemon anime was very, very different and initially strived to reach toward different viewer demographic unlike its case nowadays being primarily and only oriented toward small kids. On big part reason behind Misty never receiving enough fleshing out and development storywise was because of pokemon series having different undertone to it. With Kanto, Orange, Johto being focused in general more on adventure, development of friendship and introspection of character personalities, fears abd emotions. Treating pokemon series more like journey where friends explore world, enjoy in each other company and work in learning more about pokemon creatures and world which surround them.
    The Pocket Monsters anime franchise in general is about adventure and the exploration of the Pokémon world, growing together with one's Pokémon and friends, etc. and the OS is really no different from AG - XY in that regard. I can't see this as an excuse for the lack of focus around Kasumi, and I don't see how it changes my point.

In addition, I think that you might be overstating the effectiveness of the original series anime on adults. I do admit that future shows talk down to the audience in a way that Kanto didn't do (Jouto, on the other hand, feels no different than anything else than anything else that came after), and maybe this is just me, but I can remember how adults, at least, the ones I knew, responded to the entire Pokémon craze. They thought it was the dumbest thing and wrote it off as yet another children's fad, no different than Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles or Power Rangers. And now that I'm an adult and can see the Pocket Monsters anime from an adult perspective, I truly believe the only reason I'm not instinctively rolling my eyes at any part of it is solely because I became hooked as a child.

Misty role in pokemon series was in bringing consciousness, identity and passion in main cast. providing comedy, lighthearted humor and great chemistry to cast. Her purpose was in being supporting character who acted like Ash coach/mentor. And give viewers opportunity to follow pokemon journey and world through eyes of shafted female which desperately wanted to break free from family shadown, prove her worth and vaue to herself and others while giving insight in how one type specialists function. What are their needs, motives and desires serving as healthy counterbalance to generic career profession we were following with Ash.

She didnpt received alot of focus like girl coordinators did, but for many people she made up for that with engaging personality and her antics and dynamic with group made this show interesting to watch. She served not only as coach but motivator in main cast pushing others to try their best(thanks to her Ash became better trainer with this not being only Brock merit).
    So you're saying that Kasumi's primary purpose was to round out the main cast and be the token female character? I agree with that, and this is why I say that I find future female companions to be a general improvement - if not in actual execution, then at least in the intent. Not only do they contribute to the central group, but characters like Haruka and Hikari added to the show by having their own journeys and their own growth. I found that they made Advanced Generation and Diamond & Pearl a lot more fun to watch, because it wasn't just Satoshi's story we were following, but that of those characters as well. If Jouto has demonstrated anything to me it's that following a long anime with only Satoshi as the driving force behind it doesn't make for a very interesting show.

This is another area where I credit the writers for improving (again, more so in intent than actual execution at some points). The OS, specifically the Jouto episodes, feels so long because when the focus isn't on Satoshi's journey to the Pokémon League it often starts falling into repetitive filler episodes that center around one-shot characters and their problems. The other shows have this same problem too, but they cut back on the number of those with the introduction of Pokémon Contests, rivals, episodes that dealt with the cast's Pokémon and their training, mini-arcs, and an increased interest in the antagonists from the video games.

Granted in goal sense May, Dawn, even Iris to extent were more fleshed out with more being explored regarding their dreams. But as far as characterization goes and emotional growth ill be willing to say how Misty developed most as person.
    I don't think I'd agree with that at all, at least not where Haruka and Hikari are concerned. Haruka became a more self-confident character whereas Hikari became a more independent one, and both of them had a variety of character traits. And it's not just that their goals were more explored, it's that they came off more complete and developed than Kasumi did. Kasumi's write-off episode was great, but her departure was ultimately unsatisfying because she was a character who rarely, if ever, was built to anything. You mentioned in an earlier post what a story needs. I would argue that Haruka and Hikari filled most, if not all, those criteria. Kasumi really didn't.

I'm not here to argue over whose personalities were more interesting or whatever, because that's purely a matter of what your opinion is. I also really don't want to get into one of those debates. But I will argue that Haruka and Hikari, I don't really have an opinion either way on Iris and Serena isn't done yet, were more developed in just about every way than she was. And that's one reason why I don't call the writers incompetent, at least not for replacing Kasumi.

So while we could say that writers competence and increase of skills in planning out and developing storyline may have improved in giving more development and expansion on companion dreams. Paying attention to better treat each pokemon individually showcasing in more detailed way their personalities and motives. Gave girls better explanation behind desire to become best in what they wanted to accomplish with more concrete sensew of direction being provided.

Things arent black and white and as far as emotion, balance and cogency of emotional development goes. In portraying character in more three dimensional way, coming of as realistical, deep and complex. In my opoinion writing took a plunge since Misty left in that aspect. She struggled, had emotional crisis and worked hard for everything she got. Which we see for every future travel companion.
    I'm afraid I don't understand how the writing "took a plunge" in that area after Kasumi left. Just about every female companion to have come after Kasumi (excepting Serena, maybe) experienced all of that in active pursuit of their goals. Hikari had an entire arc dedicated to setting up a trial and overcoming it with the Mikuri Cup. I really don't remember any occasions where Kasumi had anything close to that, or moments like Haruka losing her second Grand Festival and questioning the path her journey would be taking after. If anything, I think the writing in that aspect improved. At least, where Kasumi's replacements are concerned.

Something which critics also brought up in article i posted, which could be nusproduct of head writer at that time mr. Shudo wanting to treat pokemon series as more mature, deeper and family oriented show. Which would have certain realism and complexity brought into storyline and its characters.
    I get that's what Shudo might have been aiming for, and it doesn't surprise me that he thought the show he worked on is the best, but I'm not convinced that he's not overselling the quality. Kanto does have its advantages in that its fillers are a lot less formulaic than what comes afterwards in Jouto and beyond, but I never found the original Pocket Monsters deep or complex at any point, and I can't think of anyone who ever did. Similarly, I never found its characters deep. It may have been a more dynamic show, but it wasn't any more layered than the shows that came afterwards.

So for that reason i can understand why many people i met online tend to say how pokemon series decreased in quality in that aspect believing Misty brought soul and heart to pokemon anime with, lot of that charm and deep, genuine emotion disappearing once she left show.

Wich may or may not be reflection of writers laziness or in essence decision to change formula cutting down on emotional and individual aspect of treating anime as separate media which explore on itself , cast and surrounding by straying away to higher degree from games in telling its own story. In return delivering more plot based show filled with more consistent and coherent sense of progression . Depending on how you look at it.
    Personally, I look at the OS like I look at the original video games: it was fun for its time and I enjoyed watching the original series when I was a child more than I do watching the newer shows now. My favorite episode of any Pocket Monsters series is an OS one. But I can't agree that it was unequivocally the best and that every show that followed represents an overall decline for the anime franchise. While OS, specially the Kanto and Orange Islands episodes, has its advantages, namely in filler episodes, AG, DP, BW, and XY have introduced much tighter storytelling while not betraying the grand adventure that is Pocket Monsters have made a greater attempt to follow the stories of characters other than Satoshi (how effective they are varies from show to show, but they've all tried), and have far better focus on the main characters' Pokémon.

weedle_mchairybug said:
    According to various studies (which DBZ Fan even posted), she also served the parental figure role as well (more specifically maternal). And besides, she also got a goal in Johto, or rather, it was more explicitly noted. Misty at least had a goal, what exactly did Serena have? And bonding with her Pokémon? Serena rarely even trains the one Pokémon she actually has. How exactly is she bonding with it? Even Misty in the first few episodes at least bonded with her Staryu and Starmie. And let's be frank, Misty did several things that, were it not for her, Ash and co. definitely would not have gotten far at all, maybe they would have been killed.
    I never stated Kasumi didn't have a goal, but that it was one she rarely made any real progress towards. With the exception of the Whirl Cup and the requisite capture episodes, there was little for her to do except one-shot fillers that were never really brought up again. And "bonding" doesn't always have to mean training, which I don't remember Kasumi doing much of either. Serena has gotten moments where we see her working with Fokko, admittedly more so recently than the first twenty or so episodes. It was probably premature of me to say she'll be doing more than Kasumi did, but if the most recent XY episodes are anything to go by Serena may already have her goal and the necessary path towards it.

I also wonder if you and DBZ fan might be overstating the effect Kasumi has had on Satoshi as a trainer. It's true that she taught him basic lessons such as "weaken a Pokémon before you try to catch it" in that one episode, but I get the impression that it was really Takeshi's role to impart basic knowledge about the Pokémon world to Satoshi.

And regardless of Misty being there or not, Ash's retaining Top 8 in the Hoenn League (which, BTW, was the only league in AG) basically made the entirety of AG skippable. What's the point in watching the league if he's only going to retain the same rank as before?
    I'm not much of an AG fan either for the same reasons. But even then, I find it hard to rate the entirety of AG "skippable". Haruka was a good character who brought a fresh new concept in Pokémon Contests, and improved the franchise by taking some of the emphasis off of Satoshi. And while I do wish the writers had done more with him, it was actually really nice that he wasn't the only one catching and bonding with Pokémon, feuding with rivals, and working towards a goal. And even Satoshi, irrelevant and stale as he could feel around that time, had a more entertaining, balanced team of Pokémon and his battles were better than most of his OS ones.

Either way, yes, the writers have been very incompetent.
    I don't think they've really been any more incompetent than in the OS days, and most of what I find wrong with future series have their origins in the first Pocket Monsters. Jouto is where the formula of one-shot COTDs comes in, and by my estimation has more filler than any other Pocket Monsters show. That's not to say it's all bad, and I admit that Kanto's filler episodes could be a lot more fun and less formulaic, but I've found that future shows are a lot better when it comes to developing their plots, giving more characters something to do, showcasing the main characters' Pokémon, and writing the Pokémon battles.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Forgot all about this thread...

I never stated Kasumi didn't have a goal, but that it was one she rarely made any real progress towards. With the exception of the Whirl Cup and the requisite capture episodes, there was little for her to do except one-shot fillers that were never really brought up again. And "bonding" doesn't always have to mean training, which I don't remember Kasumi doing much of either. Serena has gotten moments where we see her working with Fokko, admittedly more so recently than the first twenty or so episodes. It was probably premature of me to say she'll be doing more than Kasumi did, but if the most recent XY episodes are anything to go by Serena may already have her goal and the necessary path towards it.

I also wonder if you and DBZ fan might be overstating the effect Kasumi has had on Satoshi as a trainer. It's true that she taught him basic lessons such as "weaken a Pokémon before you try to catch it" in that one episode, but I get the impression that it was really Takeshi's role to impart basic knowledge about the Pokémon world to Satoshi.

If Ash's Pokémon Master aspect is considered a goal (and there's very rarely any real progress in that, anyways. I don't think we even got a real definition until DP), Misty's goal definitely qualifies as such (and to be honest, we never even got much focus on his goal until, what, DP, the one time we were actually TREATED to a specific definition and detailed explanation of what Pokémon Master goal was?). And she definitely bonded with her Pokémon as well.

And no, we're definitely not overstating the effect Misty had on Ash as a trainer. We've seen the episodes and scrutinized it (DBZ Fan's probably a lot more knowledgeable in that area than I am, as he actually saw and sat through the entirety of Johto, while even I haven't seen all the episodes of Johto), and I can definitely say she did in fact play a huge role in Ash's development. Maybe Brock had a bit more, but not much. And besides, there were quite a few incidents where Ash wouldn't have progressed at all, at the very least, had Misty not been there. Take the Cinnabar Island episode, for example. If it weren't for her and her ability to solve riddles, there's definitely no way Ash could have found Cinnabar Gym and Blaine, much less earn the Volcano Badge (and considering Gary, Ash's rival, and someone who definitely proved his worth by getting more badges than Ash, at least two more than the minimum by the time of the Viridian Gym, explicitly stated he didn't intend to find Cinnabar Gym precisely because he believed it no longer existed, that's DEFINITELY something to consider.). Heck, at worst, Ash and the others could very well have died had it not been for her. Like the St. Anne arc. Had it not been for her, Ash, Brock, Team Rocket would have been skeletons in the abyss stuck inside the St. Anne. And that's not even going into the first episode, where Ash could very likely have drowned had Misty not fished him up in time, and she wasn't even a travelling partner of his at the time.

I'm not much of an AG fan either for the same reasons. But even then, I find it hard to rate the entirety of AG "skippable". Haruka was a good character who brought a fresh new concept in Pokémon Contests, and improved the franchise by taking some of the emphasis off of Satoshi. And while I do wish the writers had done more with him, it was actually really nice that he wasn't the only one catching and bonding with Pokémon, feuding with rivals, and working towards a goal. And even Satoshi, irrelevant and stale as he could feel around that time, had a more entertaining, balanced team of Pokémon and his battles were better than most of his OS ones.

Regardless, if there isn't even any real progression in the goal and you can literally skip it and not be impacted by it (which is clearly the case here since he neither advanced nor decreased in rank), regardless of ANY redeemable qualities, yes, that actually does mean you can effectively skip it. And considering they brought in Dawn just to do May's goal, that's not exactly good enough to redeem May, especially when the both of them were proven to be Hinas, and when they replaced May to have Dawn carry out the same goal, it's pretty clear that Pokémon Contests don't have the same importance at all (otherwise, they would have kept May for DP). Besides, Misty technically did something similar in Princess vs. Princess, so it wasn't even that fresh, anyways.

I don't think they've really been any more incompetent than in the OS days, and most of what I find wrong with future series have their origins in the first Pocket Monsters. Jouto is where the formula of one-shot COTDs comes in, and by my estimation has more filler than any other Pocket Monsters show. That's not to say it's all bad, and I admit that Kanto's filler episodes could be a lot more fun and less formulaic, but I've found that future shows are a lot better when it comes to developing their plots, giving more characters something to do, showcasing the main characters' Pokémon, and writing the Pokémon battles.

Just because the show hadn't been cancelled yet doesn't mean they're any less incompetent. Technically, Michael Eisner's actions didn't cause Disney to declare bankruptcy, yet it was clear that his huge incompetence and bad business practices, including the various cheapquels and releasing films that were inherently anti-Disney in nature, were so prevalent and so crippling to the company that the Board of Directors, despite his being their head, had to fire him, and Bob Iger, his replacement, isn't doing much better, either. And the Love Hina writers were fairly competent, yet the show still got cancelled due to an unexpected loss of money before they could start a second "season."

Years
    • Seen Jan 3, 2018
    I didn't mean to suggest that Kasumi was created as a "test subject", but that future female companions (except maybe Serena, but we'll see where that goes) would go on to do far more than simply round out the group dynamics and that the writers deserve some praise for building on that.

Im of belief how value and importance of character isn't and should not be measured by how much someone does,

But in what he does and how much his presence embellish structure of anime, character interactions and overall plot. Impacting series in general with his antics, interests in life and various characteristics unique to him. Something Misty imo fulfilled quite nicely leaving big influence on plot and characters.

Btw overall Iris while may have got more focus on her dragon master dream, still received less focus and development than Misty had if you ask me. By character development im referring to changes in someone personality and attitude, external impacts, persons and obstacles left on someone causing him/her to change, improve and learn on past mistakes. Get over his emotional struggles and build himself as character.

The Pocket Monsters anime franchise in general is about adventure and the exploration of the Pokémon world, growing together with one's Pokémon and friends, etc. and the OS is really no different from AG - XY in that regard. I can't see this as an excuse for the lack of focus around Kasumi, and I don't see how it changes my point.

In addition, I think that you might be overstating the effectiveness of the original series anime on adults. I do admit that future shows talk down to the audience in a way that Kanto didn't do (Jouto, on the other hand, feels no different than anything else than anything else that came after), and maybe this is just me, but I can remember how adults, at least, the ones I knew, responded to the entire Pokémon craze. They thought it was the dumbest thing and wrote it off as yet another children's fad, no different than Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles or Power Rangers. And now that I'm an adult and can see the Pocket Monsters anime from an adult perspective, I truly believe the only reason I'm not instinctively rolling my eyes at any part of it is solely because I became hooked as a child.

I dont see it that way. Original series stick much less to frames dictated by games unlike it was case with following generations. Aside from gym leaders not many characters from games were included with most characters we saw in Kanto and Johto being mostly anime exclusive, interpretations coming from writers mind.

We had in general more of anime only mini side stories and arcs such as island of Giant pokemon, Whirl islands, side story with Sabrina, episodes dealing with abnormal pokemon (Tentacruel, Gengar, Alakazam) wanting to wreck whole world, mischief pokemon which supplied anime with various unique running gags which embellished series appeal making it more memorable and fun to follow. Whether we are talking about Jigglypuff, Snubull or Delibird.

There was whole anime only region in form of Orange Islands with gym leaders, league, champion , even challenges Ash had to pass in gyms being completely product of writers imagination tailoring anime to their own needs and desires.

With things not being subjected as much to game quests, game characters and plots or pokemon at that time. Which are much more prevalent with exploitment of their personalities and motives nowadays than humans themselves.

In comparison in original series from Kanto to end of Johto it was other way around with development of characters and friendship coming in first plan making me believe original cast in general had closer bond and friendship than any other cast which came later.
    As such its not hard to notice how there existed interchangeable communication between all characters in main cast with no one ending neglected having their moments of annoyance, happiness, talks about their own dreams and issues but lighthearted jokes as well promoting friendship between protagonists which grow forward when exploring world in evoking, memorable manner.

Fact how writers followed games to much smaller degree back than often adding their own touch to episodes and stories they came up with brought more originality and unpredictability in this show since it didn't followed repetitive formula not being set up in advance what to expect next increasing people eagerness to stay tuned and see what will happen next. Which they succeed in to higher degree than its case nowadays with series formula and way things will be pan out being much more formulaic accompanied with various rehashes of what was seen numerous times before.

Moreover this doesn't just applies to Kanto and Orange Islands. But Johto as well because it was treated like direct sequel to what was established before. There were no new starts, regressions etc with Ash , Misty and Brock continuing from where they stopped. Building up on their team and skills as trainer, as well building up on friendship becoming more familiar and recognized with each other flaws with chemistry taking more mature spin to it.

There were lot of throwbacks to Kanto in appearances of Koga sister Aya, photohgrapher Todd, Duplica, Suzie etc. filling that saga with lot of continuity keeping ties with past(like proper anime should do to making story stronger that way) and many of episodes like "Just Waiting for a Friend", "For Crying Out Loud", "Fortune Hunters", "Forest Grumps" etc still contained certain level of darker, mysterious and expressive style first two seasoins had with Brock eccentric nature, Ash goofiness and Misty tender,sarcastic and hotheaded side. Promoting together sense of world building, strong unbreakable bonds friendship can create between people and excitement through never knowing what to expect during their voyage.

That level of maturity, emotion and unorthodox writing style can still be found in several Johto episodes such as "Just Waiting on a Friend", "Fortune Hunters", "Ignorance is Blissey", "Unbearable", "Beauty and a Breeder", "For Crying Out Loud", "Will Real prof. Oak Show Up" and several others.

Johto often receives lot of flack, with people developing misconception how it was just one big bag full of "fillers". Not bothering to watch whole saga through. To realize for themselves how many of episodes they dismissed as "irrelevant" contained actual character development, evolutions and captures, throwbacks to past and storyline which foreshadowed future events(one of examples being "Ring Masters" where Ash won Kings Rock foreboding Misty Poliwhirl evolution later on).

Pokemon anime in general followed different formula back than where exploration of character personalities, friendship, adventure aspect and emotional aspects of life had bigger priority than battling, pokemon training and focus on character careers. Hence being one of primary reasons behind Misty storyline not being explored as much as it could have been. It wasn't only reason because writing also took step for worse in Johto during middle of sagaswith things not starting to pick up until Master Quest,. But it was one of them.

So you're saying that Kasumi's primary purpose was to round out the main cast and be the token female character? I agree with that, and this is why I say that I find future female companions to be a general improvement - if not in actual execution, then at least in the intent. Not only do they contribute to the central group, but characters like Haruka and Hikari added to the show by having their own journeys and their own growth. I found that they made Advanced Generation and Diamond & Pearl a lot more fun to watch, because it wasn't just Satoshi's story we were following, but that of those characters as well. If Jouto has demonstrated anything to me it's that following a long anime with only Satoshi as the driving force behind it doesn't make for a very interesting show.

Not quite, i believe Misty purpose went beyond simple token girl which served as stabilizer in main cast of not having just cast made of males.

Sure you could say coordinators like May and Dawn had their own rivals, better expanded dreams and more focus on progress made in their careers.
    But way i see it Misty arguably brought just as much on table, if not even more than other girls did since she beside her plots and story directly influenced plot of main protagonist and story of this anime in general. She served as catalyst through which Ash developed as trainer helping him to stand on two feet when starting out, often saved his and other people lives, took initiative in her hands preventing natural disasters caused by pokemon or human factor. Played fun subrole in many episodes bringing strong identity and charisma through her string presence not being dependent on structured plots like contests to give viewer impression that someone is active.
    Along with having strongest personality out of all female companions imo bringing lot pf sarcasm, clash, comedy and conflict in main cast with her dreaming and romantic side adding extra flavor to group dynamics providing anime with extra twist through her insecure and shy outbursts not being your typical tsundere you can see on daily basis in other cartoons.

While having her motives and desires, quest of becoming water master, versatile and interesting line up of pokemon she collected during travels,sad and easy to relate background which greatly shaped in what person she became and development .

Which i can say turned out to be female protagonist whose personality and emotional growth was much, much bigger than Dawn or Iris had(goal development isn't same as character, personality development) with travels, struggles and experuence she gained affecting her just as much as it did May.

Regardless of Misty own dreams and aspirations being ignored for good chunk of time.

This is another area where I credit the writers for improving (again, more so in intent than actual execution at some points). The OS, specifically the Jouto episodes, feels so long because when the focus isn't on Satoshi's journey to the Pokémon League it often starts falling into repetitive filler episodes that center around one-shot characters and their problems. The other shows have this same problem too, but they cut back on the number of those with the introduction of Pokémon Contests, rivals, episodes that dealt with the cast's Pokémon and their training, mini-arcs, and an increased interest in the antagonists from the video games.

Result of Johto subpar writing had hardly much to do with Misty presence as main girl though.

Problems related to how this saga was written go much deeper and beyond than who was in main cast.,

Being result of: -writers inexperience never writing for long sagas wich last for 3 or 4 years having big problem with proper pacing and structure of story,

-drop of main driving force justifying Ash and co trip to Johto in first place(GS ball). Plot which supposed to turn in big storyline involving Celebii with Ash, Misty and Brock playing major part according to original plans. Losing their sense of direction and hitting brick wall after msain plan was abandoned not having backup plan developed until late 4th season, beginning of Master Quest which was heavily plot centric and filled with lot of character development.

-head writer at that time Takeshi Shudo often getting in disagreements with other members of writing staff and pokemon directors(chief director was and still is Yuyana Kunihiko, while anime director was i presume Masamitsu Hidaka)and certain member of staff called Omae Sama rejecting his plans and ideas how series should be written.

His train of thought was very different from other writers wanting to bring new level of innovation and creativity in story. He even stated in his blogs how he decided to create somewhat complex characters which to extent he succeeded in introducing main protagonists and TR, but due to marketing constraints and disputes with director he was never allowed to take them through deeper, more challenging development. Or take series story in entirely new direction treating it as cohesive on going adventure where each main character plays criucial role in trying to accomplish some bigger scope in journey aside from pursuing their dreams.

One of examples i brought up originally in this thread was intention for third pokemon movie containing real prehystoric T-rex revived from petrified fossils. He desired to add more realism to pokemon world (because references to real animals happened at times like ordinary fish or even dog being showed). Bringing new dimension to story perhaps better explaining pokemon origins and how pokemon came to planet earth. Now that i think about it that sounds like great material for some very fascinating and more profound plot.

But in end mr. Shudo vision of treating pokemon series as more family oriented show with some depth behind it was stopped in halt by higher staff members with marketing taking priority over original, well written storyline.

So you see Misty presence hardly has anything to do with possible drop in quality. Although i still am of belief how Master Quest should be evaluated separately being very enjoyable season filled with action, character development and story going fiorward. With Misty being more enjoyable and having actual, importance there.

Number of fillers decreased significantly, Misty and Brock received more focus, there were several arcs introduced which contributed to current plot(Like not just Whirl Cup, but whole Whirl Islands which were basically Misty centric, Red Gyarados, Lugia, Larvitar etc), gym leaders were depicted in better light (like Pryce and his past or Clair which pulled with itself mini arc about Dragonite) group pokemon started to gain better development along with Johto Silver Conference being one of best leagues we ever had.

I don't think I'd agree with that at all, at least not where Haruka and Hikari are concerned. Haruka became a more self-confident character whereas Hikari became a more independent one, and both of them had a variety of character traits. And it's not just that their goals were more explored, it's that they came off more complete and developed than Kasumi did. Kasumi's write-off episode was great, but her departure was ultimately unsatisfying because she was a character who rarely, if ever, was built to anything. You mentioned in an earlier post what a story needs. I would argue that Haruka and Hikari filled most, if not all, those criteria. Kasumi really didn't.

I'm not here to argue over whose personalities were more interesting or whatever, because that's purely a matter of what your opinion is. I also really don't want to get into one of those debates. But I will argue that Haruka and Hikari, I don't really have an opinion either way on Iris and Serena isn't done yet, were more developed in just about every way than she was. And that's one reason why I don't call the writers incompetent, at least not for replacing Kasumi.

May did changed alot emotionally, i can give you that. In growing to like pokemon, becoming less silly and dizzy in behavior compared to early, mid Hoenn becoming more confident, mature and collected as girl realizing what she wants from life and how to get there. Making me kinda proud how much she grew compared to her rookie days.

But Dawn? While she may have grew alot as coordinator, thats not same as emotional, personality growth.
    I often felt that she didn't changed as person enough to match her struggles, effort and improvement as coordinator which would mold and leave bigger impact on her characterization taking away from depth of her story arc.

Being by end of journey just as girly, optimistic and interested in fashion or appearance like she was at start. Not saying she was exactly same because she went from overconfident to confident and became abit more humble after depression stereak she wen t through. But compared to other girls when comparing each of them from start to end of region/cameos Dawn changed the least giving out impression how she stagnated in that sense. At least in my opinion it seemed that way.,

With Misty most, if not all character development she experienced was in maturing in personality, emotional aspect. Its not very hard to deduce how when looking at Misty character from early Kanto days and during chronicles, Hoenn appearances this character went through some serious and highly notable changes and growth.

Like i mentioned before:
    Because of sisters downplaying her being viewed as "useless runt" this caused revolt in Misty character wanting to prove that she is better than them which set up ground for deciding to become water master in first place. Because of this character toughen up feeling inferior to them with confidence being staggered,with temper being used as mask to hide her flaws leaving negative effect on her mental state(in my post above i explained it more thoroughly).

Over time as Misty became more open to Ash and Brock establishing strong friendship,she started to reveal more about her past over time softening up. Thanks to winning Princess festival, coming top 8 in Whirl Cup,being recognized by several trainers like Dorian,Andreas,Trinity, Marina from Orange Islands etc as good water trainer which has talent character started to gain more confidence in her own abilities realizing that she isnt in any way inferior than Daisy,Lily and Violet are.

Thanks to this she managed to take on mentor and older sister role to other characters who suffered from similar issues such as Sakura helping her about same issue with older siblings and whn she took over gym at end of Johto getting it back on right track character gained sisters respect becoming filled with sense of accomplishment, becoming more confident and independent restoring bad relationship she used to have with them in past.

Being along with May character which changed the most as person.

Thats not same as someone goals and affinities being explored and developed as much as they could obviously. Because in that aspect writers left many things unfinished and alot more to be desired.

In goal structure, fleshing out of someone dream and ambitions, pokemon team and consistent storyline which is well connected, obviously your right. Misty was handled pretty subpar compared to other girl protagonists. But i cannot pretend like everything was handled worse about her, and i have to give writers credit.

In having what in my opinion appeared to be one of most believable growths character went through in show gradually(though that process was rather slow) growing in mature, independent person through friends help, as well stronger trainer coming long way since early days when she just wanted to run away from sister shadow being full of insecurity and self doubts.

While delivering lot of lively atmosphere, sense of justice and proactive solutions in moving things forward with her curious, definat characterization. Often being possible to feel Misty presence because of taking part in various activities and through deducing and actively coming up with ideas and plans helping toi push other characters, story and problems forward gaining some knowledge. Even if it wasn't directly linked to her own dreams and aspirations.

What im trying to say is how looking back there were things at which writers handled Misty better than they did with other girls. And vice versa with other girls receiving better treatment in some other areas where Misty character didn't excell as much.

With each girl having its weak and strong sides.

I'm afraid I don't understand how the writing "took a plunge" in that area after Kasumi left. Just about every female companion to have come after Kasumi (excepting Serena, maybe) experienced all of that in active pursuit of their goals. Hikari had an entire arc dedicated to setting up a trial and overcoming it with the Mikuri Cup. I really don't remember any occasions where Kasumi had anything close to that, or moments like Haruka losing her second Grand Festival and questioning the path her journey would be taking after. If anything, I think the writing in that aspect improved. At least, where Kasumi's replacements are concerned.

It depends on how you look at it. You view Misty removal as move which allowed pokemon series to grow and explore new concepts with character standing in way of that.

With me, i consider Misty leaving to be mistake because it lead to losing great deal of comedy, identity and playful charm her unique and varied personality brought knowing how to pull out anger and agitation from others leading to amusing conflicts, how to establish strong friendship with others helping them to find themselves in romance or e courage to keep trying and do their best like she did with Brock being complete and complex as character bringing lot of turbulent turmoils and colorful interactions within cast,. Along with having compelling story and dream of becoming master of type she adores(water), aspiration to learn as much as she can about various pokemon, catch legendary type or connect with him making herself known and recognized among other experts of such profession. Become powerful as E4 members, like LOrekei she worships so much.

She undeniably had lot of potential waiting to be explored, unique relationship with pokemon(like Psyduck), interesting history and family from which she came opening array of possibilities waiting to be done.

Which was was poor and bad move in my opinion with writers not thinking far enough in what consequences this move would cause. Resulting in possibly biggest and most intense backlash i ever saw for any replaced companion, with no fans being as adamant and passionate over writers bringing Misty back with any other replaced character. I came on internet in 2002/2003, and complaining was huge at that time. Liking her varied characterization and being dsisappointed that story was left unfinished with lot of materias to be done much more never being used, feeling Misty left prematurely.

Especially when taken in account how Hoenn was dappled with many interesting plots like Kyogre and Team Aqua, experts like Juan and Wallace. 9th movie being all about water and prince of sea Manaphy, all those islands, oceans, lakes where more tournaments like Whirl Cup, introduction of bug water pokemon like Surskit which evolves in Masquerain(not hard to deduce how would this be great way to give Misty more development) could be made advancing her story.

When even writers themselves admit how they removed Misty without exploring her enough, than any further debate of their incompetence in removing characters before its time becomes superfluous.

I get that's what Shudo might have been aiming for, and it doesn't surprise me that he thought the show he worked on is the best, but I'm not convinced that he's not overselling the quality. Kanto does have its advantages in that its fillers are a lot less formulaic than what comes afterwards in Jouto and beyond, but I never found the original Pocket Monsters deep or complex at any point, and I can't think of anyone who ever did. Similarly, I never found its characters deep. It may have been a more dynamic show, but it wasn't any more layered than the shows that came afterwards.

Personally i dont only think that Kanto, but Johto as well in its better parts contained more layers and depth in someone characterization. Than anything else which came afterwards. Filled with deeper, more original arcs and subjects. Like dealing with pretty dark and intricate backtory about Mewtwo, even for pokemon standards. Developing hatred and resentment toward humans killing all scientists on island starting to question its own existence and what purpose he really serves. Prequel to Mewtwo movie introducing girl Amber which spent whole life in tube telling Mewtwo to continue living never having chance to live herself experiencing all its charms and positive things realizing how end is near dying shortly afterwards .

Invoke of mega big pokemon like Alakazam and Gengar threatening to destroy world in apocalyptic like scenario, even Johto side adventures like Whirl islands and Whirl Cup brimming with mystery and connection to ancient times theme etc regarding ancient sea sprits and heroes which controled water poikemon. Mystery about Silver Wing, baby Lugia and its mother being imprisoned. Focus on first and only time in pokemon anime history character with serious mental disorder, introducing concept of split personality through Sabrina which became psychotic because of being treated as outcast and feared by everyone, developing pleasure to hurt others.

Brock sad background in being abandoned with younger siblings by parents, having to take over parental role in taking care of them and put his own dreams and desires aside to take care of Pewter gym and his family. Developing guardian, protective feelings toward his brothers and sisters trying to escape from reality and this way of living.

Misty losing parents at very young age being constantly degraded by everyone else and her sisters; who deconstructed her confidence and security as character. Becoming rough and mistrustful , creating facade to hide her own vulnerability and weakness she had as person and trainer. Having emotional struggles, coping with it and developing need to be independent and headstrong. Due to experiences from past not wanting to receive pity and depend on anyone.

Real use of fire arms, guns, tanks, bazookas or bombs. Such as in giant Tentacruel invading Porta Vista city. Pokemon ranger pointing gun at Ash starting to fire, same with TR putting gun on ranger head. Rocket trio using bombs and explosives, or Ash and co meeting officer Jenny which developed special squad in fighting criminals with fire arms through Growlith disabling thief.

Receiving sequel in Johto through Giovanni launching massive operation in finding Mewtwo and his clone brethen. Diving deeper in mewtwo thoughts, conceot of death, will there ever be peace and place where he could live far away from humans, being painfully aware of being viewed as outcast.

Illustrated and inspiring storyline from third movie featuring Molly Hale who as result of feeling lonely, confused and scared looking for mother care and father protection. Caused that through Unknown her thoughts and needs manifest themseklves in reality resulting in Ash mother being kidnapped.

Giving to us various pretty tame stories such as of 200 years old NInetales from Johto waiting for its master, not realizing it has died.

Gym leader Price suffering heavy burns from fireblast to protect its pokemon in youth. Becoming over the years cold hearted, embittered person which lost faith in developing bond with pokemon after thinking that Piloswine betrayed him.
    Etcetra, etcetra.

Not saying how there didn't existed sad or more mature storylines in AG, DP, BW(because Hunter J, Cyrus from Team Galactic, king of pokelantis from Hoenn posessing Ash body, Dawn depression, N trying to release pokemon from human influence etc instantly come to mind for example).

But in general i felt under mr. Shudo batton and sometime after his leaving from place of head writer for series. World in pokemon anime was portrayed as darker, more tougher place to live in with gym leaders often being portrayed in bearish, robust style like lt. Surge whoch demanded discipline putting opponent pokemon to hospital, or people they came across being frauds and manipulators like that kid with Farfetched which stealed from other people. Manipulation of pokemon evolution causing Gyarados to forcefully evolve(one which Lance cauight), Latios death or all those huge tear jerkers(like PIkachu and Butterfree goodbye, Misty and Brock leaving ASh etc packed with immense emotion, sadness and suspense).

As well several episodes dealing with psychological issues, someone trauma and developed misconceoptions about certain pokemon species bringing extra depth to story and whole adventure.

Backed with strong, spontaneolus and organic chemistry between original trio managing to carry out message of adventure pokemon tried to promote and companions which have fun together , exploring world, new places, people and creatures while pursuing different dreams in realistic, simplified and inbred manner.

Resulting in highest number of banned episodes comes exactly from older series. Coincidence or not OS were only time where real blood was showed too never happening again.

Drawing paralel of mr. Shudo trying to write for Kanto, Orange and to extent Johto as anime aimed not just for kids, but teenagers, adults, elders etc with more mature and sophisticated level of writing being present in it in my view. Alongside more passion and heart in developing plot.

Last edited:
    Back