• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Secret Bases ♪

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
Hoenn's Secret Bases ♪
2965382_orig.png

Who here remembers the secret bases from Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald? Most routes in the Hoenn region feature several areas which can be converted into a Secret Base, with small indents in walls being able to be carved out into a cave, tall trees being able to drop down vines, and clumps of grass being able to be moved. Ah, but you'd need to have the TM43 - Secret Power.

If we mixed records with other Ruby, Sapphire, or Emerald game cartridges, Secret Bases will copy over between them (even those from other players who have previously mixed records). Inside of Secret Bases that do not belong to the player, an NPC can be found to represent the person that took that Secret Base as their own!

Topics to Discuss
  • Did you have a secret base while playing Ruby, Sapphire & Emerald?
  • What sorts of objects & furniture do you remember putting in?
  • What do you think of Secret Bases as a whole?
  • Of course, share any other thoughts here!

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
Years
I did have a secret base in Pokemon Sapphire. Course the route I had my secret base on, it was located in the part of the route that required both Surf and the Mach Bike to reach. One thing I recall putting in my secret base was the Blue Tent, which I got after completely beating the Trick House. Secret Bases were a great thing to have.

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
I didn't bother with secret bases much back then. Partly because they were useless, but mostly because I didn't have any friends who played RSE. That said, I'm still not much of a fan of secret bases, even in ORAS. It's nice that it's available though! It's just not for me :p

I think I remember putting a blue thing in my first and only secret base. I have such great memory lol

Gligar

Bruhfication Sayan
Years
Well, when I used to play to play to play Sapphire I didn't even have a secret base. Know why? Because I didn't even know how to find a secret base.

I was like 7, and I couldn't even bother to read anything. It was really hard on me, as I spent hours, actually no, days, searching for the quest. Yup. pokemon was that hard.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
I remember being very disappointed by them honestly. I've always been one to be more about progression in games, than spending time fiddling around with something, whether it be things like decorating certain areas, character customization or the likes. So for whatever reason, I always went into the secret bases hoping to find something cool, like a new area for Pokemon or something, and the occasional caves with holes in the floor only contributed to this, making me think that decorations were required for me to get through the hidden bases and on to some super cool area. But alas, all the bases were obviously just for decorating. And I never really did anything with that. I had way too little money in the game to spend on decorations, since it always all went to battle items for the E4 or something. So the hidden bases were left rather untouched by me. And even to this day, it still holds up. I never took the time in ORAS, even despite the extra features it provides. I may do it eventually, just to be able to battle certain people for exp, but that's for another time.

But despite my lack of interaction with them, I still think it's a pretty cool feature, and I was hoping for them to return in ORAS. Even if these kind of features just aren't something I'd invest my time in, I can definitely see the appeal to certain people, so I'm happy they stayed :D

Years
Bases were part of what got me so hooked on Pokemon to begin with. I spent tons of time decorating mine and collecting furniture even if I had no plans to actually use them in bases.. was quite the hoarder, heh. I even bought a copy of Ruby despite having Sapphire to constantly mix records with a friend/my main game to get those bases into my primary file, then restart and repeat the process. Each day I'd go into those bases to see what NPC trainer those characters ended up as and battle them! That was the life.

My main game's base was the tree surfing south in Route 119, right of the Weather Institute. :) Will always have a special place in my heart.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Dear lord, secret bases were a ton of fun. When I'd finally been able to discover their existence in Pokémon Ruby, I had spent around an hour or two looking around, trying out spots to see which I found myself liking and which I did not.

Decorating was sort of a time-consuming task, at least from my end, but it was rather entertaining; trying to figure out which pieces of furniture fit together, which decorations go nicely with each other, and so forth--very exciting.

I wasn't able to gather any of my friend's secret base data in my first run of Ruby, unfortunately, but around time when Emerald was released, things seemed to have been a different story, as one of us did have a link cable then.

Years
  • Seen Jul 5, 2017
secret bases were the **** when i was a kid. i remember mine was near fortree city but i don't remember where exactly...anyway, i loved decorating my secret base with dolls and i remember having that big tent at the entrance.

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
Years
I mostly put a lot of mats in them, the ones that make you spin or turn around if you step on them. In some of my challenges I made secret bases too, decorating them with the challenge as theme. My winter challenge had blizzard mats for example and my solorun with Swampert had water cushions and Mudkip dolls.

Years
I remember this feature and I did build a secret base of my own, which I can't really remember where I built it but if I recall it might have been the bush near the pond on Route 120. I mostly decorated mine with dolls, a mat, some posters and maybe even a desk with some chairs.

I did use the feature again in OR/AS, but it's in an entirely different location compared to what I used originally. I'd likely blame it on that pond becoming a very popular spot to build secret bases.

Years
Yes! my favorite feature probably!
Unfortunately, my Emerald battery is dead so no cool items for me unless I change the battery :/

Did you have a secret base while playing Ruby, Sapphire & Emerald?
Yes! It's usually either at the beginning of that rainy route or below the Biking road at that small island. My favorite place.

What sorts of objects & furniture do you remember putting in?
Balloons are mandatory. Also pics of Seviper or Wingull. I also put some dolls and pretend they're real >:D

What do you think of Secret Bases as a whole?
Unique feature. Fun even to those who dont particularly care about that kind of designing features, like me. I wish it's in every game.

Back