• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Oh! That's it! That's an honest to goodness Heart Scale!

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
Years
The third generation introduced the move reminder, a guy able to learn Pokémon moves they learned at lower levels at the cost of one Hearth Scale. Some Pokémon are able to learn other moves as well using this method.
Hearth Scales were scattered around on a lot of locations in the region, but it is possible to get an infinite (well, theoretically) amount of them, stealing them from wild Luvdisc. They have 50% chance in holding one.

So, what are your thoughts about the newly introduced move reminder? Did you use it a lot? What do you think of the exchange cost of Hearth Scales?

Years
Well it's not natural that they would want to just let you relearn moves for free, so i'm alright with the cost of a Heart Scale. And given that there wasn't really one in Generation II (well I think there was one but only in Pokémon Stadium 2 I think), this was definitely something needed. And it was very fitting that wild Luvdisc would hold Heart Scales. But Luvdisc came so late in the game...

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
Years
This should have been available in Gen II at least. Why didn't they invent this earlier? It's awesome, and allows you to learn new moves without fear, as well as getting ahold of moves learned at level 1 that would be unobtainable otherwise.

Of course oddly enough in FR/LG the guy there would help your Pokemon learn moves at the cost of two Tiny Mushrooms or one Big Mushroom. Why these items were only useful here and nowhere else is unknown to me; you'd figure you'd be able to make food out of them or something.

Years
I liked it. It was a saver when I needed to learn a HM move and I didnt have time cos I was too lazy to switch Pokemon from PC. Getting those heartscales wasnt that easy though.
It's much easies in the underground in Sinnoh where I have like 50 of those and have no idea what to do with them lol.
Thankfully!, cloning in Emerald doesnt exist for nothing, right? >: )

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
Years
Of course oddly enough in FR/LG the guy there would help your Pokemon learn moves at the cost of two Tiny Mushrooms or one Big Mushroom. Why these items were only useful here and nowhere else is unknown to me; you'd figure you'd be able to make food out of them or something.

That must be because Luvdisc don't live in Kanto or the Sevii Islands. That made it unable get more Hearth Scales if you need them, so something else had to be introduced as trade object. The mushrooms are much easier to acquire. You don't have to fish and the encounter rate is 100% Paras in some places while Luvdisc are at a maximum of 40% using a Super Rod.

Years
That must be because Luvdisc don't live in Kanto or the Sevii Islands. That made it unable get more Hearth Scales if you need them, so something else had to be introduced as trade object. The mushrooms are much easier to acquire. You don't have to fish and the encounter rate is 100% Paras in some places while Luvdisc are at a maximum of 40% using a Super Rod.

Actually Paras has only the chance of 50% of holding a mushroom and on top of that it was only found in the Mt. Moon cave (rare) and Safari zone. SO it wasnt all that easy. I know, cos I tried to collect mushrooms >.>

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
I used this a lot! I especially remember saving my very first Heart Scale to specifically remember Breloom's Mach Punch in Emerald. I didn't evolve Shroomish immediately because it learns Spore at a higher level. Getting Shroomish to level 50-ish is a very harrowing experience y'all and I don't recommend it ;_;

Years
Heart Scales were really easy to get with a Pokemon that knew Thief so I fought Luvdisc a lot to nab a few since I almost always needed some. The ability to relearn moves made me much more comfortable with erasing certain ones in favor of better contest moves.. another reason why R/S/E were so great. <3

Years
Heart Scales were really easy to get with a Pokemon that knew Thief so I fought Luvdisc a lot to nab a few since I almost always needed some. The ability to relearn moves made me much more comfortable with erasing certain ones in favor of better contest moves.. another reason why R/S/E were so great. <3

I wish I had as much luck with Thief. I keep stumbling upon the poor Luvdisc lol.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 20, 2016
Actually Paras has only the chance of 50% of holding a mushroom and on top of that it was only found in the Mt. Moon cave (rare) and Safari zone. SO it wasnt all that easy. I know, cos I tried to collect mushrooms >.>
If you're ever playing FR or LG again and in search of mushrooms, keep in mind that on one of the floors of Mt. Moon (B1F), our friend Paras appears 100% of the time and at low levels. So collecting mushrooms is very easy :)

Last edited:
Years
If you're ever playing FR or LG again and in search of mushrooms, keep in mind that on one of the floors of Mt. Moon (B1F), our friend Paras appears 100% of the time and at low levels. So collecting mushrooms is very easy :)

Oh thats right. That section was so small on Bulbapedia I missed it! Idk, maybe I knew but forgot about it. Thanks for pointing it out!
So I guess it's still a lot easier than in R/S/E!

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen May 31, 2015
What I did was I captured a Zigzagoon from Route 119, leveled it up till it learned covet, then kept using that move over and over again on the Luvdiscs. Gave me a nice supply of Heart Scales.:)

This should have been available in Gen II at least. Why didn't they invent this earlier? It's awesome, and allows you to learn new moves without fear, as well as getting ahold of moves learned at level 1 that would be unobtainable otherwise.

That capability was in Gen II, but only in Pokemon Stadium 2. I believe you had to trade your Pokemon from GSC to Stadium 2, then beat the Elite Four there, and then you'd get a chance to teach one of your Pokemon a previous move.

Years
I was only 11 when I first played this game, so I was unaware about Luvdisc holding Heart Scales back then. The fishing mechanics back in this generation were annoying as well, so that explained why farming Heart Scales was difficult. Collecting Heart Scales is crucial if you use the Move Relearner a lot, as they say.

Back