• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pok?mon of the Day - Dratini (163/???) [being remade]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
Years
Once again, one of my top ten faves. For some reason I'm finding this a little less random. XD

After being introduced as a pure Grass type, Whimsicott gained a secondary Fairy typing in generation 6. Were you happy with this addition?

Yes. While it's really weak against Poison-types, at least it doesn't have to deal with those nasty bugs again. Also Fairy is a great typing.

Whimsicott shares a lot of similarities with the Hoppip family. Do you think there should've been any changes to Whimsicott to seperate it a bit more, or you happy with it as it is?

I would think of it as Jumpluff 2.0. It's faster, has a better ability, has a better typing, and is just as cute.

Also...

Whimsicott's family is very similar to Skiploom's? Never realized.

Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023
Sunflora: awh i love sunflora, but i can see why it's so unused. needs higher speed, better defenses, different ability. it's doable in game though and i've enjoyed it on my teams before

Whimsicott: whimsicott to me is the usable version of jumpluff. it's cute and i think the fairy typing suits it well. for some reason i've never been drawn to it in a big way. Cottonee is just so much cuter :(

Years
328 - TRAPINCH

328.png

"Because its head is so big, it has a hard time getting back upright if it tips over onto its back."

Trapinch me, I must be dreaming! Today's Pokemon of the Day is Trapinch! A small Pokémon that makes its home in the desert, Trapinch are the first stage of the Flygon line. They are known to dig pits and tunnels in the sand, generally waiting for people and Pokémon to fall in them. Some of those people included Ash and company, who fell into a labyrinth created by a Trapinch living on an island in the eastern seas of Hoenn.​

Share your opinion, memories, and experiences of Trapinch! As well as the general questions in the first post of this topic, here are some fun things to think about:

• Trapinch's attack stat is greater than that of Vibrava's, and equal to Flygon's. Why do you think this stat goes down, rather than growing as it evolves?
  • Since Trapinch evolves into a popular Dragon type, were you quick to evolve it when you got the chance, or have you ever trained a Trapinch as is?

Sageous

Xatu Lover
Years
When I first caught a Trapinch in Sapphire I didn't think much about it. I caught it only for the PokeDex entry and disliked them for constantly trapping me in the desert. But for some reason I decided to give it a chance and trained it up. When it hit 35 I was startled because I thought it was one of those useless as-is Pokemon like Luvdisc. After using Flygon for a long time I came to love the entire Trapinch family.

Years
When I first caught a Trapinch in Sapphire I didn't think much about it. I caught it only for the PokeDex entry and disliked them for constantly trapping me in the desert. But for some reason I decided to give it a chance and trained it up. When it hit 35 I was startled because I thought it was one of those useless as-is Pokemon like Luvdisc. After using Flygon for a long time I came to love the entire Trapinch family.

Sounds a lot like me! I didn't realize how useful Trapinch could be until it evolved, Flygon became my MVP in later RSE playthroughs. Trapinch itself though... gah, that trapping, especially in a Sandstorm area where your team gets hit every turn. D: That was fun lol.

Years
474 - PORYGON-Z

474.png

"Its programming was modified to enable work in alien dimensions. It did not work as planned."

One does not simply make a pun of the name Porygon-Z... Today's Pokemon of the Day is Porygon-Z! Originally a man-made virtual Pokémon, Porygon-Z now lives in the physical world. However, while trying to perform upgrades to Porygon2, something went wrong, which gave us the glitchy final evolution. Unfortunately, because of previous incidents with its first stage evolution, Porygon-Z has never played a role in the anime (beyond a picture in the background), and seen very little time in the manga series.​

Share your opinion, memories, and experiences of Porygon-Z! As well as the general questions in the first post of this topic, here are some fun things to think about:

• Seeing as how it was an upgrade error that caused it to behave erratically, do you think it's possible that we see a 'fixed' Porygon-Z in the future?
  • Are you okay with Porygon-Z being excluded from the anime because of the Porygon incident in Japan, or do you think that we'll see it featured someday?

Adam Levine

Years
Since Trapinch evolves into a popular Dragon type, were you quick to evolve it when you got the chance, or have you ever trained a Trapinch as is?

No. I though Trapnich evolved at Level 25, so I used HP Ups because I thought that's what's wrong.

Are you okay with Porygon-Z being excluded from the anime because of the Porygon incident in Japan, or do you think that we'll see it featured someday?

I don't like how Porygon and its evolutions were never in the anime, because Pikachu caused the seizures, not Porygon.

Years
554 - DARUMAKA

554.png

"When its internal fire is burning, it cannot calm down and it runs around."

Today's Pokemon of the Day is Darumaka! Generally found in the deserts of Unova, Darumaka is both literally and figuratively a little ball of fire, running around and acting silly until it cools off and falls asleep. When they sleep, their bodies resemble Japanese daruma dolls, from which it probably got its name. Darumaka have often been featured in the anime, with over a dozen appearances between the movies and series combined.​

Share your opinion, memories, and experiences of Darumaka! As well as the general questions in the first post of this topic, here are some fun things to think about:

• A Darumaka owned by N can be found in the Desert Resort in Black 2/White 2. Did you end up catching it to use for yourself?
  • Because Darumaka's droppings are so hot, people have been known to put them in their clothes to heat up. Would you ever consider doing this?

Adam Levine

Years
Because Darumaka's droppings are so hot, people have been known to put them in their clothes to heat up. Would you ever consider doing this?

NO! Definitely not. I live in a tropical country. If I lived somewhere where it snows, I would definitely do so...for warmth.

Years
A Darumaka owned by N can be found in the Desert Resort in Black 2/White 2. Did you end up catching it to use for yourself?
I never caught that Darumaka, or even used Memory Link for that matter. But at the same time there's that scary Lv35 Darmanitan that can wipe your team badly, as you can easily learn when you watch Marriland's Black 2 Wedlocke.

Because Darumaka's droppings are so hot, people have been known to put them in their clothes to heat up. Would you ever consider doing this?
I find this Pokedex entry very weird indeed, but given I live in a hot climate I would probably not want to warm up with Darumaka droppings.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Haha, I wouldn't do it unless there was an apocalypse and I had lost access to normal heating. Or if I was close to freezing to death. Maybe if someone could claim convincingly that the environmental benefit would outweigh the bad smell (8

Stratosphere

Starting... now!
Years
I remember well about that Darumaka. Oh boy, a story I will never forget. It all started back at the times when BW was still new. I got the game, and I was undefeated until I ran against that Darumaka that defeated my prized Leavanny (at that time, my strongest Pokémon at Lv. 28). N's team defeated most of my team; only that Leavanny left, and then *boom*. When I got B2, I swore I would catch that Darumaka... it became one of my strongest Pokémon, now as Darmanitan at Lv. 100.

Years
402 - KRICKETUNE

402.png

"By allowing its cry to resonate in the hollow of its belly, it produces a captivating sound."

DELELELELEWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOP! Today's Pokemon of the Day is Kricketune! This mustachioed cricket was introduced in the Sinnoh region, with the males of the species sporting a larger mustache than the females. While not great at battling, Kricketune are more known for the cries they produce, with some places even holding competitions to see which Kricketune is the most talented. In the anime, a Kricketune owned by Nando is seen on multiple occasions, where it normally competes in Pokémon contests.​

Share your opinion, memories, and experiences of Kricketune! As well as the general questions in the first post of this topic, here are some fun things to think about:

• The resident early-game Bug type in D/P/Pt, did you find yourself using Kricketune, or did you pass it over for other Pokémon?
  • Of the many Pokémon that are known to sing/make music, where would you rank Kricketune?

Spoiler:

Adam Levine

Years
The resident early-game Bug type in D/P/Pt, did you find yourself using Kricketune, or did you pass it over for other Pokémon?

Never really used it. Just wanted to catch more Pokémon. I find it sad that Kricketune is forced to deal with the same treatment all early Bug-types go through (except Beedrill).

Years
  • Seen Jan 1, 2023
best cry. 4th gen had a lot of interesting cries and i replayed this one a lot. sadly though i actually forgot about this pokemon until this post....

pkmin3033

649 - GENESECT

600px-649Genesect.png

"This Pokémon existed 300 million years ago. Team Plasma altered it and attached a cannon to its back."

Beetle Blast! Today's Pokemon of the Day is Genesect! The last Pokemon in the Unova Pokedex, much like Mewtwo, Genesect was artificially enhanced to be the strongest Pokemon ever. However, where Mewtwo was cloned, Genesect was revived from a fossil first. Like Arceus, Genesect can equip items - in this case, Drives – to change the typing of its signature move, Techno Blast. Like a lot of Legendary Pokemon, Genesect has also only been made available in the games through events, frustrating players to no end. Genesect appeared very briefly in the BW anime, but starred in its own movie, although it also shared the spotlight with Mewtwo.

Share your opinion, memories, and experiences of Genesect! As well as the general questions in the first post of this topic, here are some fun things to think about:

• In the anime, Genesect has a High Speed Flight Form. Was this something you were hoping would be included in the games? If it was to be included in upcoming titles, what sort of stat modifications/special ability would you like to see it packing?
  • What do you imagine Genesect looked like before it was enhanced by Team Plasma?
  • Genesect vs. Mewtwo – which is the stronger genetically enhanced Pokemon?

Adam Levine

Years
What do you imagine Genesect looked like before it was enhanced by Team Plasma?

A giant bipedal roach.

Genesect vs. Mewtwo – which is the stronger genetically enhanced Pokemon?

When it comes to battle, Genesect, of course. However, Mewtwo is stronger due to Mega Evolutions, in my opinion.

Years
In the anime, Genesect has a High Speed Flight Form. Was this something you were hoping would be included in the games? If it was to be included in upcoming titles, what sort of stat modifications/special ability would you like to see it packing?
While I'm not necessarily a fan of it myself, I was surprised that they didn't add it as an alternate form for Genesect in the games. Not sure what I'd give it for an ability, but I'd definitely expect a big increase in Speed (+50-75), with a minor hit to any of the other stats apart from HP.

What do you imagine Genesect looked like before it was enhanced by Team Plasma?
I like the theory that Genesect was a mechanically resurrected Kabutops. Given they're both Bug type Pokemon with similar appearances, I think it makes sense that Team Plasma made a cyborg Kabutops, and gave it a lot of extra features that we now know as Genesect.

pkmin3033

112 - RHYDON

600px-112Rhydon.png

"Protected by an armor-like hide, it is capable of living in molten lava of 3,600 degrees."

Pikachu! The Horn! Today's Pokemon of the Day is Rhydon! The evolved form of Rhyhorn and actually the first Pokemon ever created, Rhydon has a well-developed brain, although it is still quite forgetful...so forgetful, in fact, that it frequently forgets that as a Rock/Ground type, it is thus fully resistant to electric-type attacks. As well as becoming a popular (albeit often misquoted) meme, this has even been lampshaded by Game Freak in the games: one of Rhydon's abilities is Lightningrod. Despite this apparent weakness to electric-type attacks which flies in the face of everything established in both the games and the anime, Rhydon is a popular choice for a powerhouse amongst trainers in the anime, having made several appearances since its first unfortunate one under the control of Gym Leader Blaine. It was also one of many past-generation Pokemon to receive an evolution – Rhyperior – in Generation IV.

Share your opinion, memories, and experiences of Rhydon! As well as the general questions in the first post of this topic, here are some fun things to think about:

• Have you ever tried to use an electric-type attack against a Rhydon before? Be honest.
  • What would you add to Rhydon in order to bring it out of the NU tier of competitive battling?

Adam Levine

Years
What would you add to Rhydon in order to bring it out of the NU tier of competitive battling?

I would do with it as I would any lower tier Pokémon I love using, like Malamar, Mr. Mime and Dusclops: Just keep using it. I guess that's it.

Other than that, I love the fact that this beast over here was the first Pokémon ever created. It really captures the "Monster" part.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back