• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pok?mon of the Day - Dratini (163/???) [being remade]

Status
Not open for further replies.

pkmin3033

538 - THROH

600px-538Throh.png

"When it encounters a foe bigger than itself, it wants to throw it. It changes belts as it gets stronger."

I am told Section 13 serves doughnuts on Thursdays. Today's Pokemon of the Day is Throh!Throh was originally designed with horns to make it appear more like a red oni, although these were later replaced with eyebrows so as not to confuse it with Tornadus, who was originally going to be red, although ultimately ended up as green. Despite this, the horns were never added back, perhaps because Thundurus remained blue and Throh's counterpart, Sawk, was originally designed with horns as well. As its name would suggest, Throh likes to throw things, and most of the fighting time moves it can learn – Circle Throw, Seismic Toss, etc – reflect that. In the anime, a Throh appeared under the ownership of random named character Montgomery, where it does battle against (surprise surprise) Stephan's Sawk.

Share your opinion, memories, and experiences of Throh! As well as the general questions in the first post of this topic, here are some fun things to think about:

• Throh vs. Sawk – which do you prefer?
  • Do you think Throh would look better with horns instead of eyebrows?

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
Years
Throh vs. Sawk – which do you prefer?

Usually, I would say it's a draw. I can't decide, even with Throh being able to use Circle Throw.

Years
Oh boy.. these two. I constantly mix up their names and it feels like I'll never adjust, hahaha.

Throh vs. Sawk – which do you prefer?
Sawk, probably. I prefer the slimmer design and blue over red so naturally I'd be a slight bit more drawn to it. Though I do think Throh would make a good team member with its bulk and high base HP.

Do you think Throh would look better with horns instead of eyebrows?
That's a pretty interesting idea! That eyebrow/facial pattern's one of my least favorite things about it, though I've always attributed that T-shaped pattern to its name. As meh as this Pokémon is I can't see it looking any other way.

pkmin3033

325 - SPOINK

600px-325Spoink.png

"It bounces constantly, using its tail as a spring. The shock of bouncing keeps its heart beating."

Their tops are made out of rubber, their bottoms are made out of springs! Today's Pokemon of the Day is Spoink! Spoink likes to bounce. Needs to in fact, lest its heart stop beating and it die a rather painful death. Despite this necessity, however, it has been seen standing still the anime. The pearl it balances atop its head, taken from a Clamperl, amplifies its psychic abilities, although any round object seems to do the trick if it doesn't have one of those close to hand. Despite a shiny Clamperl's pearl being gold, a shiny Spoink's pearl is grey, suggesting that many compromise and find something that looks similar. A Spoink without a pearl was seen twice in the anime, attempting to find a pearl proved troublesome, prompting some amusing kleptomania.

Share your opinion, memories, and experiences of Spoink! As well as the general questions in the first post of this topic, here are some fun things to think about:

• Spoink is said to wear a Clamperl's pearl on top of it's head...how on earth do you think manages to get one in the first place?
  • Spoink vs. Azurill - who would win a bouncing competition?

Adam Levine

Years
Spoink vs. Azurill - who would win a bouncing competition?

I would say Spoink for one reason only: it bounces for life.

pkmin3033

79 - SLOWPOKE

079Slowpoke.png

"Incredibly slow and dopey. It takes 5 seconds for it to feel pain when under attack."

The fact that I'm several hours late posting this has nothing to do with the Pokemon chosen, I swear! Today's Pokemon of the Day is Slowpoke! As its name would suggest, Slowpoke takes a long time to react to pretty much anything, being rivalled only by Misty's Psyduck for its speed and clarity of thought. It has never once been seen using an attack in the anime, and is a favoured Pokemon of Super Nerd trainers in the games (a coincidence, I'm sure) to boot. The only time a Slowpoke has ever been seen actually doing something is in spinoff title Pokemon Snap, where it reacts quite strongly to being bitten by Shellder. Slowpoketails are, apparently, a valuable commodity...valuable enough for Team Rocket to hijack a well filled with the things in the second generation titles and their remakes, at any rate.

Share your opinion, memories, and experiences of Slowpoke! As well as the general questions in the first post of this topic, here are some fun things to think about:

• According to its in-game description, a Slowpoketail is "very tasty". What do you think it tastes like?
  • Would you like to see Slowpoke's evolution into Slowbro retconned in the games so that it requires a Shellder (similar to how Mantyke requires Remoraid to be in the party) to reflect the way it evolves in the anime?

Years
giphy.gif

According to its in-game description, a Slowpoketail is "very tasty". What do you think it tastes like?
With how Slowpoke are, I'd think that their tails are pretty fatty. Though, they look pretty similar to hams in the way they are depicted, so if they tasted anything like them, I'd probably be guilty of eating one :p

Would you like to see Slowpoke's evolution into Slowbro retconned in the games so that it requires a Shellder (similar to how Mantyke requires Remoraid to be in the party) to reflect the way it evolves in the anime?
If it had happened a few generations, then I might be okay with it, but seeing as only Pokemon has had an evolution method added (Milotic), I'd say it's a bit late for them to retcon how it evolves as far as the games are concerned.

pkmin3033

189 - JUMPLUFF

600px-189Jumpluff.png

"Blown by seasonal winds, it circles the globe, scattering cotton spores as it goes."

Jump! For my Luff!Today's Pokemon of the Day is Jumpluff! Like its pre-evolutions, Jumpluff spends most of its time drifting along in the air, travelling the globe...making people sneeze. Despite being little more than a blue ball with some pom-pom-like spores, Jumpluff has the distinction of being the sixty-second fastest Pokemon, and can reach all new heights when spurred on by its Cholorphyll ability. Fear it. Whilst Jumpluff had appeared a few times in the anime prior in various supporting roles, its first major role of significance came under the ownership of Gym Leader Ramos, who used it in battle against Ash...against his Fletchinder.

Share your opinion, memories, and experiences of Jumpluff! As well as the general questions in the first post of this topic, here are some fun things to think about:

• How dangerous do you think Jumpluff's spores may be to those who suffer from pollen allergies? Is this something you think you would need to watch out for if you lived in the Pokemon world?
  • Do you think Jumpluff could travel around the world in 80 days?

Adam Levine

Years
According to its in-game description, a Slowpoketail is "very tasty". What do you think it tastes like?

Sushi, I guess.

Would you like to see Slowpoke's evolution into Slowbro retconned in the games so that it requires a Shellder (similar to how Mantyke requires Remoraid to be in the party) to reflect the way it evolves in the anime?

Please do this, Game Freak. We're waiting.

Do you think Jumpluff could travel around the world in 80 days?

Considering that fact that it could drown, bump into buildings, and be controlled by the wind, I'd say no.

pkmin3033

602 - TYNAMO

600px-602Tynamo.png

"One alone can emit only a trickle of electricity, so a group of them gathers to unleash a powerful electric shock."

Jaffa, kree! Today's Pokemon of the Day is Tynamo! Whilst it is one of the unlucky few Pokemon that can only learn four moves - Tackle, Thunder Wave, Spark, and Charge Beam - Tynamo's Electric-typing coupled with its Levitate ability means that, as of Generation VI, it and its evolutions are the only Pokemon with no elemental weaknesses! Provided nobody uses Gravity, anyway. Although through a Generation VI Move Tutor, it can also learn - wait for it - Magnet Rise! Despite being a first-stage Pokemon, Tynamo was used by Elesa as her "Electric Queen" and strongest Pokemon when battling against Ash's Pikachu in the anime. Naturally, it lost.

Share your opinion, memories, and experiences of Tynamo! As well as the general questions in the first post of this topic, here are some fun things to think about:

• Do you find Tynamo's lack of elemental weaknesses appealing, or would its limited movepool put you off using it?
  • If you were to give Tynamo one more move, what would you choose and why?

Last edited:

Adam Levine

Years
If you were to give Tynamo one more move, what would you choose and why?

Thunder Shock. Seriously, it should have the most logical choice here. Also Charge is a great choice.

Years
Do you find Tynamo's lack of elemental weaknesses appealing, or would its limited movepool put you off using it?
I do find the lack of weakness on Tynamo and its evolved brethren appealing, especially now that the Ghost/Dark Pokemon are weak to Fairy. The problem is, that limited movepool is weak but with Eelektross and its versatility it was likely intentional, to raise something weak to become eventually strong, like Magikarp.

If you were to give Tynamo one more move, what would you choose and why?
Thunderbolt. Literally every other Electric-type can use it, even its own evolutions.

pkmin3033

457 - LUMINEON

457Lumineon.png

"Lumineon swimming in the darkness of the deep sea look like stars shining in the night sky."

Just keep swimming, just keep swimming, just keep swimming, swimming, swimming~ Today's Pokemon of the Day is Lumineon! With a design resembling a weird amalgamation of half a dozen different real-life fish - including neon tetra, butterflyfish, and siamese fighting fish - Lumineon's reasonable well-distributed (albeit average) stats make it a good Pokemon to use in lower competitive tiers for various water-type roles. There is some cause to think that Lumineon suffers from short-term memory loss: not only does it WALK along the sea floor using its fins (rather than swimming like every other fish would) but it is also unable to learn Nature Power in Generation VI, something that its pre-evolution Finneon has no trouble with. In the anime, Zoey's Finneon ultimately evolved into Lumineon just in time for the Grand Festival and, before that, it was a source of mystery and allure for Pokemon during Professor Rowan's Pokemon Summer Academy.

Share your opinion, memories, and experiences of Lumineon! As well as the general questions in the first post of this topic, here are some fun things to think about:

• Which do you think is the more efficient predator between Lumineon and Lanturn?
  • Would you like to see Lumineon get an evolution and/or Mega evolution in future generations?

Adam Levine

Years
Here goes Lumineon, the fish no one cares about.

Which do you think is the more efficient predator between Lumineon and Lanturn?

I seriously don't know why Lumineon has any competition with Lanturn at all. It's just a glowy fish from the 80's that's easy to see, compared to a literally electric anglerfish. Lanturn naturally wins.

Besides, Lumineon and Lanturn appear in completely different regions, so I don't find it possible for them to be rivals when they can't even meet each other.

pkmin3033

653 - FENNEKIN

600px-653Fennekin.png

"As it walks, it munches on a twig in place of a snack. It intimidates opponents by puffing hot air out of its ears."

Portions of this content are ©1998–2016 by individual mozilla.org contributors. Today's Pokemon of the Day is Fennekin! The fire-type starter of Generation VI, Fennekin was revealed along with the mascot Legendary Pokemon and other two starters of Pokemon X and Y during the January 2013 Pokemon Direct. A welcome reprieve from the Fire/Fighting starters - with its fully evolved form, Delphox, being Fire/Psychic - Fennekin and its evolutions have nonetheless not proved quite as useful as the other two starters. Fennekin was Serena's choice of starter in the anime, and more recently evolved into Braixen.

Share your opinion, memories, and experiences of Fennekin! As well as the general questions in the first post of this topic, here are some fun things to think about:

• How did you feel about Fennekin when it was first revealed? Did this change over time?
  • Fennekin vs. Vulpix - which is the superior Fox Pokemon?

L'Belle

I am beauty!
Years
How did you feel about Fennekin when it was first revealed? Did this change over time?
From the start, I knew this was the Pokémon I was gonna pick. I love the whole Fennekin line, and they are still 3 of my favorite Pokémon.
Fennekin vs. Vulpix - which is the superior Fox Pokemon?
Fennekin off course!

Adam Levine

Years

Fennekin, in my opinion. It's more adorable and much more stick-related.

Don't get me wrong though, I like Vulpix.

Years
How did you feel about Fennekin when it was first revealed? Did this change over time?
I liked its design immediately! I always use Fire Starters first anyway, but I was excited to use Fennekin. Learning its line later had a Fire/Psychic dual type was also welcome after three Fire/Fighting starters.

This is a very difficult question... I have to say Vulpix for nostalgia purposes, being the first fire fox, and being one of my first encounters with Pokemon in general.

Years
While I've never disliked Fennekin, there's nothing that really stood out to me about it either, and I was much more interested in the other two starters instead. And I've felt kinda meh about it the entire time- though if I ever get around to using one, that might change.

Vulpix, easily. Ninetales is arguably my favorite Fire type Pokemon, so I was a bit disappointed to see that they not only decided to make another family of fox Pokemon, but made them Fire type as well. Maybe if Fennekin were a Grass type fox instead, I would've liked it more.

GiovanniViridian

A World Of Pain!
Years
  • Seen Sep 29, 2023
Fennekin is truly my #1 most favorite Pokemon due to how cute it is. I immediately picked it as my starter and I loved petting it in Amie. I even bred one just for Amie purposes too.

I'll be honest, when the starters were first revealed, I liked Froakie but over time due to how Fennekin looks cuter in 3D, I loved Fennekin more.

Obviously Fennekin due to the Psychic type later on in its evolutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back