• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Where to store your RPs?

Margot

some things are that simple
Years
    • they/he
    • Seen Apr 16, 2022
    I'm still fairly new and finding myself signed up for more RPs than expected, so I was wondering, how do you keep your RPs all organized? Especially if you're participating in more than one or the GM of one.

Do you write your posts in a word doc? Does anyone still write them in a notebook and then type them up? How do you keep track of everything you've done?

As of right now, I keep my posts in Google docs dedicated to each RP that way I can access them on my phone when I'm on the go and have an idea, and so I can keep everything together.

I feel like I mostly use notebooks if I want to more heavy writing and won't have access to a computer.

Jauntier

Where was your antennas again?
    Years
  • I structure, preview, and save finished post formatting templates in PMs to myself, since every RP I've joined, I've made a new CSS post style reflective of my character. I can later take or embellish those elements in another style template when need be.

After I make my first post with that format, I copy the entire code and content and paste it in a draft of my email, and from there I'll edit what's saved for my next post, copy that, and paste it in the thread.

I type in an email draft instead of on PC because the progress of my post is indefinitely and frequently saved in my email, unlike on this site. Regardless though, I do make a habit of constantly keyboard shortcutting "Select All" and then copying everything highlighted in my text field in case something goes wrong and I lose my work.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Usually I just keep a list of what RPs I'm in and what I'm supposed to do next, in my Dashboard notepad here on PC. I also save some drafts of OPs and posts up in a hidden staff forum haha, but that's because I used to be iffy about saving things locally or even off-PC. I should save things in googledoc or in online pads really.

Foxrally

[img]http://i.imgur.com/omi0jS3.gif[/img]
    Years
  • I've usually got a to-do list of all RPs I need to post in, and sort them based on priority. As for writing posts, I find myself using evernote a lot because not only can I write on phone when I'm in the bus but I can continue the exact same text when I'm at home or in front of a computer.

Junier

Fake Friends Forever (´・ω・`)
    Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2019
    I use a Google Doc to write up posts now and private message formats and similar things to myself, keep all of that in a folder. I bookmark links to OOC, IC and my own character's app for easy access.

Years
  • I am a hoarder, so I save pretty much everything.

I keep everything organized on Google Docs, saving everything into different folders depending on what they are. For example, SUs and CSS goes in a folder, posts go in a folder, ideas I want to work in go in a folder, etc.

The only other weird thing that I do is I keep a chart of all of the characters in the game in order to keep track of where everyone is, and more importantly their relationship with my character. Its a lot of work and pretty much needs constant updating for active roleplays, but it really helps out, especially when I GM.

Margot

some things are that simple
    Years
    • they/he
    • Seen Apr 16, 2022
    It's cool to see that a lot of you use some form of online storage. Was anyone RPing in the days before they existed? How did save everything back then if you did? :) I think it would be fun to compare how things have changed.

Emakrul

To Hell and Back
    Years
  • I store my rp on my phones notepad app. I've also written a little but in a spiral notebook because I enjoy my epileptic chimpanzee handwriting, but re-writing it w/ my phone isn't my favorite thing to do. Of course I don't have a computer or I would use google docs and actually look like I know what I'm doing.

Ozymandias

i'm going on a journey
    Years
  • i know it's used more often for joint posts, but i like writing all my posts up in etherpads so that they're easily accessible on different computers. i just bookmark them into different folders for different rps to stay organized :3 pretty simple

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
    Years
  • Reading these other posts, I now realize that maybe I should start saving all of my work as well. Seems like such a good idea and much easier to remember where I left off in my last post and not have to go searching for it in the thread XD

Commence saving all my work from this point on!

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • For a little while I was using google docs since I could write at home or at work with a tablet, but then we started getting too busy and I couldn't ever find the time to get any actual thoughts out. So now I just write in Wordpad, Meetingwords or on the thread itself. Most times when I finally decide to start writing a post I'll finish that post so there's not really a reason not to just write it out in the reply box of the thread itself.

To keep track of what RPs I'm in I just skim through the OOC/IC threads and see what I've replied in or if it's a new RP I'll just know that I'm in there since I put up a SU not long ago for it. I'll open a new tab for each RP, glance over what I last wrote and then write and post something before closing it for another week or so until I have time/energy to write another. Gunpowder right now is the only RP I'm in that's really big/long enough that I could forget some important details, which are usually really small things like the color of someone's skin or where a piercing is or what spells they have. Most times I'll just search up their name but I have a page or two of the Wiki we made for it bookmarked for easy access and so I can edit stuff there as I go and introduce more things that I'll be liable to forget.

Back