• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

I'm Back

Years
  • Not that anybody would remember me though! I joined here back in 2008 (wow it doesn't seem like it was that long ago) but didn't stick around too long. I think I rejoined under a different name a few years later but I can't remember. Then I started to create a new account tonight and realized firefox saved my login information from this account which totally floored me. So I changed a few things around from when I was here on my profile (like how I live in Texas now and not Massachusetts) and well, here I am again. I have to make a new avatar and signature again but I'll do over the next few days.

So right, I didn't make a whole new topic just to reintroduce myself (well, actually I sort of did, hi again everybody!), I had another ulterior motive. I've got a question. See, I'm a bad pokemon fan, like, really bad. I haven't really played any of the games, barely collected the cards when they were a big deal back in the 90s, read none of the comics (or um, mangas(?) as they're called) watched almost none of the shows/cartoons/animes (is that a word? autocorrect is telling me no). You get the picture. But for some reason I just really like pokemon. It's kind of like being infatuated with someone you've never met or know nothing about. You just like it for years without having nothing to do with it at the same time. Does that make any sense to anyone?

So, long winded story aside, I'm trying to say: I'm trying to get into this thing I've liked since I was like, 9. I'm 26 now (oh God, am I too old now? have I missed the boat?!) and looking to start with the games. I have Pokemon FireRed for the game boy advance. I've had it forever, played it here and there, never got far, shelved it for years, restarted it, rinse and repeat. So I'm going to start playing it again. Assuming I want to keep playing the series in order, where do I go next? I know there's two versions of each game (red blue, gold silver) but aside from different pokemon, was there ever a generation where the two games were different? What about those odd third games (gold silver and then CRYSTAL OUT OF NOWHERE, ruby sapphire and then EMERALD OUT OF NOWHERE) what's their relevance? Are those DS games (Diamond and Pearl, I think they were?) getting remade like red/blue gold/silver and recently ruby/sapphire were? Should I just not get those DS ones until their remakes come out, if they're coming at all?

Holy cow this topic wasn't supposed to be this long or convoluted but here it is, in all of its messy glory. Thanks for reading and, if you were able to make sense of it and actually want to reply, thanks for responding! Sorry for my many typos, I'm about ready to go to bed and my eyes are too glazed over to proofread, automatic spellcheck will have to do for now.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • Oh my goodness lots of questions! First of all, HI! Second, I'll do my best to answer some of them!

"Are the two paired games ever different beyond the Pokémon?"
    Yes. Ruby & Sapphire have different villainous teams with opposing goals, and depending on which version you choose, you see different locations associated with each team. However, it's not a whole lot of story difference. Black and White will have a postgame town which is different depending on your version. The upcoming Sun & Moon are... 12 hours apart from each other? I'm not quite sure, I've been mostly avoiding spoilers. :)

"What the heck are the third games?"
    The third games are essentially a game that melds the best parts of its siblings and adds new things. They're almost like remakes, except... coming out very shortly after the first ones. More like updates, honestly. The third games are Crystal, Emerald, and Platinum.

"Are Diamond and Pearl getting remakes?"
    It's a mystery so far. Maybe after Sun and Moon!

"Should I skip Diamond and Pearl if the remakes are coming?"
    HMMMM well that's tough and depends on the timeline- how long it takes you to play all the other games, and what Pokémon has in store for us later!

AND FINALLY

"Where do I go next? What order should I play them in?"
    Okay. So here we go. The regions in order of release are: Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova, Kalos, and Alola (coming soon). You're starting with FireRed, which is a Kanto game. You will want to move next to Johto, and choose between HeartGold and SoulSilver (DS games). Next is Hoenn- OmegaRuby or AlphaSapphire, for the 3DS. We have to go back to the DS for Sinnoh, and since Platinum is objectively the best Sinnoh game so far, I'd say go with that. Unova has two distinct pairs of games set in it- Black & White and Black2 & White2. You will want to play both! They are for the DS/DSi. Kalos is on the 3DS with X & Y.

So, rundown- HG/SS, OR/AS, Platinum, B/W, B2/W2, XY.

Now, for complete clarification- this is not the release order! Obvious when you look at what systems they're on haha. But this is what I believe to be the best way to play the games in order of region release. You could start anywhere with those ones, though- as long as you play B/W before B2/W2, whatever. :) I hope that helps! I'm free to clarify anything else if you want~

Years
  • Whoa you got a lot of help already. I was about to run in and answer your questions but looks like there's no need for that now ahaa. Personally I'm a huge fan of the old Pokémon games and new ones alike so I always recommend people try the older games if they can, excluding pair versions (so if you played Diamond there's no need to play Pearl) and etc. The differences between those are so minimal that it's like playing the same game.

Welcome back!! PC always has space for returning users, and you're never too old. I'm 25 and still a proud fan of the franchise. Hope you have fun. <3

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • tumblr_inline_n1whvhdtx31qfqvym.gif

Hehe, looks like you've gotten the help you've been looking for. That's great! Aha, but you know, it's okay; as long as you love Pokemon, that should be good enough to call you a good fan! I'd still would love to chat with you about the series!

tumblr_inline_n1whv9zdOU1qfqvym.gif

Glad that you're playing FireRed again; actually I think I might go back to that game myself and just battle here and there with some Pokemon I don't normally use~ Should be fun for a challenge and for a change!

tumblr_inline_n1whxxgzi91qfqvym.gif

But yeah, thanks for coming! It's been awesome getting to know you! Have a great return, and I hope to chat with you later!

Years
  • Thanks for all the replies everyone! You're all awesome!

Okay so from what I understand, if I wanted to play the games in order, getting all the story out of every one of the series' generations it would go: FireRed, Heart Gold OR Soul Silver, Omega Ruby AND Alpha Sapphire, Platinum, Black AND White, Black2 AND White2, X AND Y. Then Sun and (I guess?) Moon?...Is that right? So how come Diamond and Pearl lose out to Platinum, do all three have the same story or, does Platinum have what the previous pair did, and then some?

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • Thanks for all the replies everyone! You're all awesome!

Okay so from what I understand, if I wanted to play the games in order, getting all the story out of every one of the series' generations it would go: FireRed, Heart Gold OR Soul Silver, Omega Ruby AND Alpha Sapphire, Platinum, Black AND White, Black2 AND White2, X AND Y. Then Sun and (I guess?) Moon?...Is that right? So how come Diamond and Pearl lose out to Platinum, do all three have the same story or, does Platinum have what the previous pair did, and then some?
    imo you could choose between Black2 and White 2/X and Y- there aren't really substantial story differences in those pairs! Black and White only have one real difference, and that's the one town. OR/AS are the most different from each other, but when you've played one you get the gist of the other. If you're reeeally into the completionist route you go right ahead and do them all but I would not have any kind of patience like that ahaha. The main difference in all of them is honestly just which legendary is wreaking havoc.

Platinum wins over D/P due to improves gameplay, improved storyline, and yes- combining what D/P had and improving even more on it. It's not quite the same story, but it's close enough that I don't think it's a problem if you don't play D/P. :D

Years
  • Okay, that makes sense!
    I suppose if I could get Diamond or Pearl for cheap, I might get it just for completionist sake. Something else I'm wondering that's semi related but, have the after market games always been this expensive? I know Nintendo games, especially first party ones, never really go down in value but it seems like the DS games (especially gold/silver remakes) are crazy expensive for complete copies. I'm a collector, in a sense, so I only buy games "complete" so seeing some of these prices on ebay is a bit jarring. Does the price spikes really just have a lot to do with Pokemon Go spiking popularity for the series beyond the norm or has the used market for these games always been pretty pricey? Will prices go back down a little or should I just bite several bullets and jump on them before they go up even more?

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • Okay, that makes sense!
    I suppose if I could get Diamond or Pearl for cheap, I might get it just for completionist sake. Something else I'm wondering that's semi related but, have the after market games always been this expensive? I know Nintendo games, especially first party ones, never really go down in value but it seems like the DS games (especially gold/silver remakes) are crazy expensive for complete copies. I'm a collector, in a sense, so I only buy games "complete" so seeing some of these prices on ebay is a bit jarring. Does the price spikes really just have a lot to do with Pokemon Go spiking popularity for the series beyond the norm or has the used market for these games always been pretty pricey? Will prices go back down a little or should I just bite several bullets and jump on them before they go up even more?
    I've honestly never really seen Pok?mon games go down in price, unfortunately. I don't think they're going to go up anytime soon though- there's not yet a scarcity. I had the same kind of experience with the original DS Ace Attorney games- dropping loads of $$ on them all at once is kind of like... yikes. When you do it over the years it doesn't seem like much, but when you look at them all together... oh boy lol. I don't think you should spend more than $50 on any single Pok?mon game, so... find the best price you can?

Years
  • That sounds reasonable, 50 is about what I figured would be reasonable. What games HG/SS more expensive is those little poke walker things. Sellers who don't have that tend not to ask for as much as those who do. I know it's not needed in the least bit at ALL but there's that little part of me that says: You need it! You definitely need it! YOU MUST NEED IT! It's silly but, I kind of want it just to say I have it honestly!

I got lucky on the Ace Attorney DS games, I got them as they came out. I don't know why I got interested in them so heavily, aside from liking law, but looking back I'm glad I did like it, it saved me a lot of money getting them cheap! I don't have a 3DS yet though so, I don't have the latest ones.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • I've had to really get out of the collector mentality tbh I was spending way too much on things ^^; It was... a problem lmao. It was fun at the time though! I just don't have that kind of money.

Ooh well once you get a 3DS by all means totally get them! AA5 was a bit lacking imo but 6 so far is AMAZING

Years
  • Collecting is definitely expensive depending on the platform, I just dropped about 100 dollars for Fire Emblem Path of Radiance a month ago (I DEEPLY regret selling it last year, deeply). I just buy a little at a time to take the burden off.

I really liked the PW games until I got to the end of the third one. Everyone loved that one but for some reason I was just so...tired of it. I just wanted it to end for whatever reason. It took me a few tries to get into Apollo Justice and I finally finished it early this year, I liked that one once I got into it enough. I haven't played the Edgeworth game on the DS yet though, I've had it for years but never got around to it. I'm excited for the 3DS ones though, the graphic upgrade looks so cool!

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • I've started to become a Crazy Pintrest Lady and everything is like... simplicity! Declutter! Detox! And I'm like "I'm so easily influenced oh boy here we go" so... lmao. Not that I don't still have all the boxed for all my old DS games in a bin somewhere.

Maybe I had a different experience because I played them all at once? I just powered through them in like a month so the hype and drive for the overall story stayed intact. I was super anxious about the final case in the third ahaha like "I have to do it quick! She doesn't have much time left!!" which is like... no... it's fine... I know that logically... but in the moment i was like !!!!!!

The 3DS games are absolutely astonishing tbh. Like, they kept the feel and the style of the sprite games in the 3D models? Like... it's incredible. Also, cutscenes :D :D

Years
  • I have lots of bookshelves to store all my games on so I can keep things all neat and tidy.

I think in my case I just got burned out a little? Though I put time in between each game, I think maybe my expectations got too high. I think also at the time I was playing it Apollo Justice was being made and possibly already released, so I had a little resentment for the series because I felt like "these characters are getting abandoned so why should I care about them now?".

Oh cool! Cut scenes! I didn't know those games had those too, neat!

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
  • Ahh see I went in completely blind. I played while Dual Destinies was being made, I think, or a little before, but I had like 0% knowledge of the characters or story or anything. So I was completely enthralled haha.

Yeah! And proper voice acting?! like whoaaaa

Years
  • Not that anybody would remember me though! I joined here back in 2008 (wow it doesn't seem like it was that long ago) but didn't stick around too long. I think I rejoined under a different name a few years later but I can't remember. Then I started to create a new account tonight and realized firefox saved my login information from this account which totally floored me. So I changed a few things around from when I was here on my profile (like how I live in Texas now and not Massachusetts) and well, here I am again. I have to make a new avatar and signature again but I'll do over the next few days.

So right, I didn't make a whole new topic just to reintroduce myself (well, actually I sort of did, hi again everybody!), I had another ulterior motive. I've got a question. See, I'm a bad pokemon fan, like, really bad. I haven't really played any of the games, barely collected the cards when they were a big deal back in the 90s, read none of the comics (or um, mangas(?) as they're called) watched almost none of the shows/cartoons/animes (is that a word? autocorrect is telling me no). You get the picture. But for some reason I just really like pokemon. It's kind of like being infatuated with someone you've never met or know nothing about. You just like it for years without having nothing to do with it at the same time. Does that make any sense to anyone?

So, long winded story aside, I'm trying to say: I'm trying to get into this thing I've liked since I was like, 9. I'm 26 now (oh God, am I too old now? have I missed the boat?!) and looking to start with the games. I have Pokemon FireRed for the game boy advance. I've had it forever, played it here and there, never got far, shelved it for years, restarted it, rinse and repeat. So I'm going to start playing it again. Assuming I want to keep playing the series in order, where do I go next? I know there's two versions of each game (red blue, gold silver) but aside from different pokemon, was there ever a generation where the two games were different? What about those odd third games (gold silver and then CRYSTAL OUT OF NOWHERE, ruby sapphire and then EMERALD OUT OF NOWHERE) what's their relevance? Are those DS games (Diamond and Pearl, I think they were?) getting remade like red/blue gold/silver and recently ruby/sapphire were? Should I just not get those DS ones until their remakes come out, if they're coming at all?

Holy cow this topic wasn't supposed to be this long or convoluted but here it is, in all of its messy glory. Thanks for reading and, if you were able to make sense of it and actually want to reply, thanks for responding! Sorry for my many typos, I'm about ready to go to bed and my eyes are too glazed over to proofread, automatic spellcheck will have to do for now.

Eight years ago! Wow! That's a long time to be away! Anyways, welcome back you! Be sure to stick around this time, yeah? Ohohohohoh! I would start with whichever games you left off at. try the Diamond and Pearl games, as those games have a ton of stuff to do compared to Fire Red/Leaf Green. Check out Pokemon White and Pokemon Black Versions out as well! Be sure to drop me a line whenever you get the chance! I have lots of new things going on always, so be sure to check my stuff out!

Back