• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[News] Nintendo Switch

Sir Codin

I got burned twice in a row by Nintendo consoles already.

I'm reserving judgement until I see that library.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • I find it depressing that no one even bothered listening to the post I linked on the previous thread on how the NX, now the Switch, will be a third pillar and will NOT replace the Wii U and 3DS.

That's not much though, customization is something an enhanced port would definitely cover. It's to early for a sequel, they want it on the Switch, so they can salvage sales from those that brought and didn't buy the Wii U. It's the same style like what seems to be the Mario Kart 8 port. Just with features to make them better so they don't need to build an entire game from the ground up again.

A lot of people are thinking they are ports. They could be sequels, but I don't see it at the moment. I'm sure we'll find out soon enough though.

Ports are the last thing this system needs, just look at the number of remasters and ports the PS4 has.

Nice! The Switch definitely has upped the support, which is really good. If they can keep this throughout the system's entire lifeline, they it should become a pretty solid console.

I never understood why people still want more third-party support despite most of their games being major blunders (also, indies say hi, they're third-parties too).

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    I find it depressing that no one even bothered listening to the post I linked on the previous thread on how the NX, now the Switch, will be a third pillar and will NOT replace the Wii U and 3DS.

Ports are the last thing this system needs, just look at the number of remasters and ports the PS4 has.

I never understood why people still want more third-party support despite most of their games being major blunders (also, indies say hi, they're third-parties too).
    But it is replacing the Wii U....

They are porting over two of it's biggest seller (probably 3 as smash is most likely happening). The wii u's last game is breath of the wild, which is set as a Switch launch title it seems. Considering they decided to port Mario Maker and Wooly World to 3ds nad Hyrule warriors, I'd be willing to bet they'll all be Switch ports.

The Wii was "a third pillar" to the Gameboy and Gamecube, yet , it replaced the gamecube. The Switch is replacing Wii U, no doubts about it.

As for ports, they get people very hyped. People wanted a Smash port and it's probably happening. People love the Mario Kart port as it has King Boo and potentially a double dash feature. Fans love getting additional content to all ready great games, and Nintendo knows that will the positive reception, they can secure buyers unlike with the Wii U counterparts.

Splatoon is the biggest thing to come to Nintendo in awhile, porting it over when they know their cheaper system will sell, is a brilliant idea. Fans both old and new will buy that up instantly with how big it's become.

Besides, we won't only get ports. We'll see plenty of first party titles, and lost of great third party titles from the looks of their partners.

Yukari

Honestly I can't help but feel like the console is kind of gimmicky. Not that I expected any less from Nintendo considering that all of their recent consoles have felt kind of gimmicky. But unlike the Wii U or 3DS or whatever console... I actually really love the thought of being able to go from playing on my couch to laying on my bed to just walking around the house without having to stop playing my games. It would be glorious.

I find it depressing that no one even bothered listening to the post I linked on the previous thread on how the NX, now the Switch, will be a third pillar and will NOT replace the Wii U and 3DS.
    They said this about the DS too.

We see how that turned out. :/

Now, I'm not saying it will happen; I just don't put very much stock into the claim that it won't.

Well the bulk of any console's library is third-party games. And a lot of gamers want to be able to play third party games. Id est there are a lot of people out there that won't invest in a console that isn't going to have a lot of games that they want to play regardless of the quality.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • But it is replacing the Wii U....

Except it's not, that would be the Famicom 7, which is not the codename for the Switch.

They are porting over two of it's biggest seller (probably 3 as smash is most likely happening). The wii u's last game is breath of the wild, which is set as a Switch launch title it seems. Considering they decided to port Mario Maker and Wooly World to 3ds nad Hyrule warriors, I'd be willing to bet they'll all be Switch ports.

You're forgetting Project Giant Robot, Pikmin 4, and the Pokken Tournament DLC (which were found on the Wii U version mind you). The Wii U isn't in its last breath yet, and neither is the 3DS.

The Wii was "a third pillar" to the Gameboy and Gamecube, yet , it replaced the gamecube. The Switch is replacing Wii U, no doubts about it.

Allow me to repost this link telling you that it is indeed a third pillar.

As for ports, they get people very hyped. People wanted a Smash port and it's probably happening. People love the Mario Kart port as it has King Boo and potentially a double dash feature. Fans love getting additional content to all ready great games, and Nintendo knows that will the positive reception, they can secure buyers unlike with the Wii U counterparts.

That's where you're wrong. Endless Ports are actually loathed by gamers such as my friends at Disquis for being lazy and an example of how expensive AAA games have gotten over the years, with various game companies shutting down left and right, which is why Nintendo's games are made under low budgets.

Splatoon is the biggest thing to come to Nintendo in awhile, porting it over when they know their cheaper system will sell, is a brilliant idea. Fans both old and new will buy that up instantly with how big it's become.

Again, this is not a port, it's a sequel. Just because it has the same engine as the first game doesn't mean it's a port. That's like saying the new 3D Mario game is a SM3DW port because they share the same engine.

Besides, we won't only get ports. We'll see plenty of first party titles, and lost of great third party titles from the looks of their partners.

Yet people criticized third-party titles from the Wii U's launch for being ports rather than original titles.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • Well the bulk of any console's library is third-party games. And a lot of gamers want to be able to play third party games. Id est there are a lot of people out there that won't invest in a console that isn't going to have a lot of games that they want to play regardless of the quality.

That's the big issue with Nintendo though. Over the course of the last several years - or honestly just the life cycle of the Wii U - a lot of developers who normally have supported porting their products to Nintendo products have backed out. The ones that did stay - Battlefield, Call of Duty, Splinter Cell, for some - performed terribly on the console in terms of sales. COD Ghosts, for example, only garnered 0.3% of total sales from the Wii U. So examples like these show how AAA companies have abandoned their ambition to produce their games on Nintendo's last console.

You can port all the indie games you want to a system, but AAA games are a driving force for purchasing a certain console, and if Nintendo can't win them back with their Nintendo Switch then they are going to have to (again) rely on their first party games to boost sales (which granted, that's generally the selling point when it comes to buying a Nintendo product, including myself on buying one.)

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    Except it's not, that would be the Famicom 7, which is not the codename for the Switch.

You're forgetting Project Giant Robot, Pikmin 4, and the Pokken Tournament DLC (which were found on the Wii U version mind you). The Wii U isn't in its last breath yet, and neither is the 3DS.

Allow me to repost this link telling you that it is indeed a third pillar.

That's where you're wrong. Endless Ports are actually loathed by gamers such as my friends at Disquis for being lazy and an example of how expensive AAA games have gotten over the years, with various game companies shutting down left and right, which is why Nintendo's games are made under low budgets.

Again, this is not a port, it's a sequel. Just because it has the same engine as the first game doesn't mean it's a port. That's like saying the new 3D Mario game is a SM3DW port because they share the same engine.

Yet people criticized third-party titles from the Wii U's launch for being ports rather than original titles.
    Do you honestly believe that first link? There is absolutely no way that's true. Employees wouldn't be allowed to comment on a system like, nor the youtuber because of NDAS. And considering they tripled 3rd party support, I highly doubt Nintendo lets employees say **** you to other companies. They are very outgoing to other companies and don't do things like that.

Project Giant robot is definitely dead. Considering that it's co game, project guard was scrapped and made into a Star Fox mode.

Considering they didn't name the system, Pikmin 4 is likely on the Switch. Probably a launch title to.

And no offense but that second link sounds pretty straw graspy, or just has to much personal ideas thrown into it. They went about describing the Switch in the same vein as the Wii. Its not the 3rd pillar they said it be. That was so people wouldn't jump ahead of themselves. To further this, Wii U's have stopped production. That's why Reggie said get one while you can. They are going to never be made again, and probably become a collector's item years from now.

As for ports, they always work for Nintendo because they don't put half *** effort into them. They make the game feel new exciting. Look at stuff like Twilight Princess Wii. That was a big hit and the reason why the are doing it again with Breath Of The wild. And you can't just cite disquis or a single youtube video. Look over things like twitter, there's almost no complaints over ports, and there is demand for ones like Smash Bros. They are wanted because Nintendo screwed up with the Wii U and their innovate new games didn't gain as much income as they could if they were moved to a new system that could finally appeal to people and sell better.

And Nintendo's budgets have gotten bigger depending on the game. Splatoon's and Bayonetta 2 had really big campaigns behind them and ads all over. When they want to sell something, they give it their all. Other then that, many of their titles sell based solely on the fact that Nintendo is known for it's strong first parties.

The Splatoon seems very likely to be a port. Unlike the Mario game, we see minor changes that would be added to an enhanced port. Same for Mario Kart. Sure they could be sequels, but both seem unlikely atm. I'm sure we will find out soon enough though. Although a vast majority think it's a port. We had multiple rumors from those that leaked the Switch that backed up talk of porting Splatoon. So it's likely that was the case.

3rd party titles were criticized on Wii U because they were bad or non existent. With limited exclusive from big developers, it made fans unhappy. The products weren't good in the end. With the Switch this seems to be changed which is good. People want strong exclusives or just popular multi platform 3rd party games to be on Nintendo Systems to. Indies are great, but they can't sell a system like big third party titles can.

Caaethil

#1 Greninja Fan
    Years
  • I find it depressing that no one even bothered listening to the post I linked on the previous thread on how the NX, now the Switch, will be a third pillar and will NOT replace the Wii U and 3DS.
    They've said this before, it's just a PR statement to fall back on. Nothing more. I cannot fathom how you for a second think that 'Famicon 7' nonsense is true. What makes you think that?

Last edited:

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
  • Here are some of the features for the Nintendo Switch if people haven't seen them. Found it on Twitter so I can link the source later on if people want:

Attachments

• IMG_5984.PNG
      IMG_5984.PNG
      81.4 KB · Views: 17

Afterglow Ampharos

Ampharos are the ultimate kid's bed. They have a b
    Years
  • The new hardware looks really slick and cool. However, I'm finding two problems with it:

1. When you split up the two sides of a controller, hold them both sideways for two-player mode, the controller is so tiny that you end up holding your hands very close together. This can be uncomfortable.

2. I hate to argue against a cool hardware design, but, I don't think anything you'll never be able to fit in any kind of clothing pocket can truly be called a "handheld gaming console."

P.S. a funny 10 second clip of a reaction video. "Mario... a Mario... oh, a MARIO... I like Mario...!"

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
  • This isn't also a pic of all 3rd party devs, to answer some of the 3rd party arguments going on earlier.

sufBYMM.jpg

Years
  • Good God! Nintendo! Stop. Just... stop. I've been a long time fan of Nintendo (Probably longer than some of you have even been alive) and I've had every console (Yes, including the Virtualboy) they've produced up until the Wii. I've owned every hand-held (Sans original 3DS and New 3DS) they've ever produced. I've looked past the awkward Nintendo 64 controller, the strange choice for Gamecube Disks and controllers, everything about the Wii.

But this. This takes the cake and a slice of pie. I am sick and tired of the gimmicks. I'm tired of the controllers, I'm tired of the tablets, I'm sick of the motion control, the sliders, the 3D effects, the lower resolutions on cross platform games, the lower speeds the lesser hardware... I swear, I can not be the only person on the planet looking at this machine and thinking that it's a piece of shit. Nintendo always attempts to 'innovate' in insane ways! I like their games, the Legend of Zelda Series is pretty solid, and perhaps one of their only IPs that gets justice done. Thanks Nintendo. I really wanted that Metroid Federation game no one asked for and not another classic Metroid game. Thanks for that. Thanks for terminating a fan made reboot of Metroid 2. Thanks, and a huge round of applause for that.

The gimmicks, the controllers, the hardware, the NFS cards the NFS figures, the Amiibos that cost $12... why? What is the point? I am older now and no longer entertained by such things. It's gotten to the point of being a ludicrous endeavor. Myself and several other gamers are, I'm sure, perfectly happy with a simple controller and a disk.

We don't require legions of figures and toys that cost more than a minimum wage hour, we don't need NFC cards or add ons, we are tired of the 'friend code' and the lame and poor excuses for region locking everything. I am not going to be buying this console, I am not going to let my family or friends buy it. I will gladly replay all of my classic SNES games over giving Nintendo more excuses to create such abysmal hardware and poor software. I love Nintendo, but man is it a love/hate relationship you have with your drugged out girlfriend that just won't quit shooting up. We have carts and baskets full of their 'innovation' but it's time to stop. Their games are suffering and their intellectual properties are looking bleak. I want them to stick around, I want them to surge ahead and be the market presence that they once were, but having them constantly show up at events with this... this crap it grates and grinds the clutch. I won't buy a console for a single franchise, I won't buy a console just to experience one story.

I used to complain about how the X-Box stole Sega's weird Dreamcast controller! Is anyone else sick and tired yet? Can't we agree that we need Nintendo to stop making excuses for itself and shying away from open market practices (i.e. region free)? In a choice for three consoles, and I never thought I'd ever say this, but I would buy this new Nintendo console DEAD LAST, behind the X-Box, which I've been against for years. I'm sorry to say that, and it hurts.

I remember getting in fist fights at school (Nintendo and Sega was serious business) over which console was better, and I always backed Nintendo, but now with an open access console like Sony's Playstation 4 and Vita (the Vita isn't dead, far from it in fact, to anyone wondering) or even the X-Box One I have access to multiple markets, like EU only games, Japan only releases, even AU releases without having to own multiple consoles.

I can still enjoy their hand-held market, but don't make the mistake of my preferring it. To be honest, the 3DS is ultra dated and completely inferior to the Hardware (and software) the Vita provides. Don't bring up 'the Vita has no games' argument because it's not true, and the Vita has access to many PSOne classics as well as newer JRPGs and Cross-play features. It sucks, and I know it's not a popular opinion, but I think Nintendo needs to have a hard sit and think meeting about where they want to go.

Sony and Microsoft seem adamant on where they're going, but Nintendo doesn't seem to have a direct or clear vision. The WiiU had a horrible shelf life before Nintendo announced a new console, despite Sony and Microsoft making 'newer' consoles of their own.

Afterglow Ampharos

Ampharos are the ultimate kid's bed. They have a b
    Years
  • A bit of a side note, but arguments can be made against the XL-series of the (3)DS line as well, despite being a handheld gaming console. I don't think being unable to fit in a clothing pocket is really going to be that good of a measure for portable gaming because you'd just end up sacrificing either screen size or some sort of form or utility or function to achieve that (besides, what kind of pockets are we talking about? Skinny jeans? Baggy jeans? Regular jeans? I realize this is getting nitpicky but that's kind of relevant).

I think a better word for what direction this is going is "portable" rather than "handheld", although that's just arguing semantics. It seems like it can fit no problem in a bag which (in my eyes, anyway) would be sufficient enough for even the most casual gamer.

Yeah, but the XL was titled and marketed as an extra large version of the handheld, and you could still alternatively buy a pocket-size version if you prefer. That's a bit of a different story than the Switch.

It doesn't matter what kind of jeans you wear, you're not getting a full-size iPad into them. :p

Bags are ok but not possible for every occasion. It's more limiting is all.

Nintendo always attempts to 'innovate' in insane ways!

It's strange that you paint this as a bad thing. I'm not sure why you'd want to discourage game companies from innovating. The other two companies seem to be happy just remaking the same console and controller time after time. And while those are perfectly serviceable, they don't advance games in new or interesting directions. They're not innovative, they're just pushing for better graphics and more processing power. And don't get me wrong, BOTH of these things are important things. But the gaming market as a whole would be more of a wasteland if we took away either one: innovation, or advancing specs. We need both.

As for the rest of your post, you were complaining about gimmicks that have nothing to do with the Switch. You were complaining about features of the Wii, Wii U, and Amiibo. Not really applicable here.

Salzorrah

[font=Montserrat][b][color=#66CC66]g[/color][color
    Years
  • For those people who said Nintendo should focus on VR like the PS and Xbox did, they've been there, done that with the Virtual Boy, even though it was utterly the worst console in existence. Tbh, it isn't bad that Nintendo is finding gimmicks and innovating. I prefer those things than rehashed shit just to make a quick buck.

El Héroe Oscuro

Years
  • For those people who said Nintendo should focus on VR like the PS and Xbox did, they've been there, done that with the Virtual Boy, even though it was utterly the worst console in existence. Tbh, it isn't bad that Nintendo is finding gimmicks and innovating. I prefer those things than rehashed shit just to make a quick buck.

I mean...yeah, sure, to an extent I guess, but they were very limited in tech back then remember. That honestly shouldn't even be a point considering it doesn't even stand the slightest in comparison with the VR tech of Sony and Microsoft. 1995 compared to 2016? Huge jump in the advancement of technology.

I honestly wouldn't mind Nintendo VR. Like you wouldn't want play Wind Waker or Super Mario Galaxy in virtual reality, that would be utterly surreal.

Back