• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Dilemma - Sun or Moon

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2019
    So, I'm planning to pre-order Sun OR Moon soon, but I really don't know which one to get anymore. I guess a lot of people pre-order both versions, but I can only really afford one right now.

I was very set on Moon because of the legendary, but I prefer the version exclusives of Sun much more than those of Moon. And I'm the type to catch the legendary, transfer it to the PC and never play with it again, whereas I might want to IV breed a midday Lycanroc during the post-game. But then again, the legendary IS the mascot of the game so....ugh, I'm really conflicted.

To those of you who will also pre-order only one version, what is most important to you? Legendary or version exclusives? Any other aspects?

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    For me, it's version exclusives that matter to me the most. If one version has more version exclusives that interest me, I usually pick that version. The only exception was X and Y, in which X had a Pokemon that I wanted to use (Clauncher to be precise) but couldn't because I was on team Froakie. In this case, I bought both games, finished Y, but for some reason never started with X.

Currently, I'm kinda leaning towards Sun, but if Turtonator is exclusive to that game, then I'll start with Moon instead, and maybe buy Sun later.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
  • I've started to always choose the 'blue' version ever since X.

Most of the Pokemon can be easily traded for anyway.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2019
    You can better make you're chose based on when you want to play? If you want to play in day time then is Sun the better option, if you prefer night then Moon is the best option.

Years
  • I mostly care about the version exclusives and the mascot legendary as my deciding factor on version. I'm planning to get both versions but Moon will be the one I'll play more since I love both Lunala and the other exclusives, along with the in-game time being inverted.

And besides, if you want any exclusives your game doesn't have, PC's Trade Corner can cover that. If you care more about the other exclusives than Solgaleo, get Sun. Just some advice for you, since you could always get Lunala traded to you.

Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2017
    I feel you. I like the exclusive ultra-beast in Moon and Oganguru, but I also like Solgaleo and Midday Lycanroc. I think I'll start with Sun, so I can get a properly competitive team and maybe get Moon later.

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
  • I'm getting Sun and pre-ordered a while back on the basis that Solgaleo looks better to me than the Moon Legendary. After the pre-order I saw that Lycanroc had a version exclusive form for which I prefer the Sun exclusive and a version exclusive Primate neither of which I am a fan of.

Version exclusives can just be traded for.

clbgolden

Swampert Fan
    Years
    • Seen Sep 22, 2019
    If you're never going to use the (Moon) legend again while you may use the exclusives in Sun, then definitely go with Sun.

At least, that's what I would do.

Years
    • Seen Oct 23, 2016
    Well whichever version you decide on we can always trade with each other :D

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    I find it's easier to trade for common Pokémon rather than for legendaries so I usually make my decision based on that. So while I prefer the Sun-exclusive Pokémon and UB, I'm probably going to get Moon because I like Lunala way more than Solgaleo, and I'm sure not many people will be willing to trade away their legendary.

MegaKuriboh

Yare Yare Daze
    Years
  • I'm going with Sun first because I like Solgaleo just a tiny bit more than Lunala, I want the Midday form of Lycanroc, and I prefer UB-02 Absorption. Playing through Moon afterwards will be interesting though as the time will always be reversed.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • Choose the game that has the legendary you like better. It'll be easier to trade for the version exclusive Pokemon than the legendaries.

Snivy88

Hello Everyone ^^
    Years
  • As everyone else has said, go with the one where you think trading is easier. If you plan to use exclusives during the game, then get Sun. I personally find the legendaries not that hard to trade for. However, if you don't plan on using exclusives, then get Moon, then trade for exclusives, as they're probably easier to get then the legendary when the game first comes out.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I agree with the others that since there will presumably be online trading, you can probably get the version exclusives fairly easily from that. Thus, it might make more sense to choose based on your preferred legendaries, since those are harder to trade for and since you generally can't breed them to get one with your OT, if that matters to you.

I would also consider what time you're planning on playing the game, though (or if you plan on altering the time on your 3DS). The 12-hour time difference between the two versions sounds pretty dramatic to me, and depending on when you tend to play, you may have a preference for having the clock in sync with the real world or not. I'm personally a little torn about the time thing (I'm planning on starting with Moon, though I'm going to pick up both), but as someone who mostly plays before bed, I figure it wouldn't be so bad to actually have light out when I play for once. I just need to reduce my reliance on Dusk Balls a little.

Guest123_x1

Although I'm probably not going to pre-order, I might end up going with Moon, even though there's the 12 hour time shift-I tend to play video games mostly in the evening, so when it's nighttime where I am, it'll be morning at that time when I'm playing Moon.

Years
  • I would rather get the game based on the pokemon that are exclusive to it than the legendary. If I did do it based off the legendary, then my mind would already be made up. :P But as it is right now, I'm also in the boat of not being sure which one I want to get, since one game has legendary I like, but other game has exclusives I prefer. I need a more comprehensive list before I can make a decision, heh.

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2019
    Thank you for your responses, everyone! It was interesting to read everyone's perspective :) There's also the time factor I hadn't given much thought to, but since I tend to play in the evening, Moon sounds better.
    I think I'll wait a tiny bit more before pre-ordering, maybe there will be more information on version exclusives that I might want to consider.

Hope everyone has fun playing their respective versions when they come out! :D

Guest123123

I'm having a similar dilemma. I like /most/ of Moon's exclusives more, except I like Lycanroc midday more than midnight, and Moon's 12 hour difference is a turn off for me.

Trading isn't an option for me. I'm unable to trade or do anything that involves connections with other players. So what's in the game is all I have.

JoyStar

We're all mad here...
    Years
    • Seen May 29, 2019
    For me it's usually the mascot legendary that sells me on it.

... The only problem is I like both this time. XD

Back