• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokémon] Yggdrasil - Rated T

Years
Spoiler:

Yggdrasilor or Ygdrasil
[ig-druh-sil, yg-]
noun, Scandinavian Mythology.

an evergreen ash tree, the three roots of which bind together Asgard, Midgard, and Niflheim.

Table of Contents.

1. The Interdimensional Intersection
2. Guardians of Sealed Space
3. Fear and Love and Loathing

Last edited:
Years
Spoiler:

Years
Spoiler:

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
Years
The first thing I want to say is that it was really refreshing to see such an original beginning to a fic. As soon as I saw the character was in a new body I was thinking, "Oh, okay, the protagonist is in a Pokemon body. One of those fics, I guess." Then I kept reading. "Oh, so it's a Pokemon in a human body, that's a bit different." Then I kept reading. "Oh, the main character is actually the devil or something and this is all really creepy. o_o " Suffice to say I loved how the story starts with such a visceral scene. Grabbed my attention right away.

Going along those lines, my favorite element so far is definitely "Orville" and his outlook on life. The way you've set him up as this homicidal maniac but kept him in check with fear of Arceus and a surprising amount of empathy (read: any empathy at all) keeps me guessing and that's great. I find that I'm more interested in just what he's going to do next than the actual cataclysm he's trying to prevent.

Linda and Mel are okay; not as interesting as Orville but that's not their fault. I'm guessing from your implication that they have more going on than it appears, but for now their best moment is when Mel gets swiped by the Pidgeotto. I might have felt bad about Mel losing any shred of dignity he had left, but I was laughing too hard.

Another really funny moment for me was the Cacturn calling Orville a dick. I don't know how funny you meant it to be, but I just pictured him saying one syllable of his name like a Pokemon would except he actually means "Dick." It makes you wonder how much of the Pokemon-talk in the anime battles is actually s***-talk.

On that note, while there were definitely funny bits, sometimes I think it resulted in some tonal dissonance. After the first scene I was expecting something fairly grim and serious, and there's nothing wrong with a story being grim at parts and funny at others, but it's at the intersection that things can get awkward. I'm thinking in particular about the bit with the eggs, which was...something.

"Well," he sighed. "Who wants fried chicken?" He looked at Linda's expression and frowned. "Not the time?"

Actually, I would say it's not the time. You really could replace "Linda's expression" with "the reader's expression" and it'd still make sense. Frankly, it was a pretty shocking scene and I think writing jokes throughout it didn't do anything besides make the jokes fall flat. It'd be different if the main draw of the fic were supposed to be shock-humor like in South Park or something, but I don't think that's what you were going for. In any other genre, people are going to feel conflicted about something like this being surrounded by jokes:

The half-formed little pidgey spilled into the nest with a flood of embryonic fluid in a heap of grey, underdeveloped flesh.

(Btw, I think the phrase you want is 'amniotic fluid.') I also think this scene was a missed opportunity to delve more into Orville's character. If you take away the jokes, or if you make it clear that he thinks it's funny but we're not supposed to, then that could create a different and better kind of tension in the reader: tension in regards to how they feel about the main character, as opposed to tension in regards to whether they're on board with the story's sense of humor.

Of course, comedy is highly subjective and you shouldn't take my opinion on it as gospel. I suspect you'll get similar reactions, though.

Moving on, here's a writing mechanic issue I found:

"What the hell were you doing to my sister?" he demanded angrily, his cacturne bristling with thorns. He dragged himself onto his elbows and wiped a smear of blood from his forehead.

At first glance it looks like the second 'he' still refers to Mel. With context you quickly see that it's actually Orville, but it still trips up the reader momentarily and that doesn't help the story flow. The difficulty of balancing pronouns is underrated (Lord knows I struggle with it...), but it's important. I saw several other cases of this, so I'd suggest looking out for them.

Also important, cussology:

"Damn way of getting it," he growled.

Typically this phrase would be of the form "Damn [adjective] way of [participle phrase]." Without the adjective it's awkward. This has been today's lesson in cussology! :D

Less importantly, here are the typos and other little things I found:

half-assed shaped from the darkness

To those that endlessly searched for faster methods of travels like flying-types or

"And who's this we you're with? The Ghostbusters?"

Should be "shapes" and "travel." Also, I would put single quotes around the "we," just so it's immediately clear that he's using the word as an object and not as the word itself. It also more immediately conveys his intonation.

tl;dr: I think the placement of some of the jokes is a concern, but on the whole I really liked it. The action scenes are solid and tactile, and you've done a great job with the lead character so far. I'm also glad I can follow the story even though I'm not familiar with Gen IV, so good job there. I'll definitely be coming back for the next installment!

Years
Thank you thank you for the review. Also, haven't seen you in quite some time iconmeanon.
As soon as I saw the character was in a new body I was thinking, "Oh, okay, the protagonist is in a Pokemon body. One of those fics, I guess." Then I kept reading. "Oh, so it's a Pokemon in a human body, that's a bit different." Then I kept reading. "Oh, the main character is actually the devil or something and this is all really creepy. o_o " Suffice to say I loved how the story starts with such a visceral scene. Grabbed my attention right away.
Devil? Aww, Orville wouldn't like that comparison. He's actually quite cuddly, like a porcupine.
Going along those lines, my favorite element so far is definitely "Orville" and his outlook on life. The way you've set him up as this homicidal maniac but kept him in check with fear of Arceus and a surprising amount of empathy (read: any empathy at all) keeps me guessing and that's great. I find that I'm more interested in just what he's going to do next than the actual cataclysm he's trying to prevent.
Orville is actually a good person, believe it or not. He's just incredibly bitter and bitterness can make anybody look like a bad guy.
I might have felt bad about Mel losing any shred of dignity he had left, but I was laughing too hard.
Mel said to tell you that you've now made his hit-list right behind Orville. You and your ancestors will now be visited upon with the vehement wrath of a pugnacious seventh grader
Another really funny moment for me was the Cacturn calling Orville a dick. I don't know how funny you meant it to be, but I just pictured him saying one syllable of his name like a Pokemon would except he actually means "Dick." It makes you wonder how much of the Pokemon-talk in the anime battles is actually s***-talk.
I truly believe Pikachu curses Ash's name eighty percent of the time with a smile on his face

But on a serious note, I know the pronouns became a little iffy, I'm still editing the story even after I've posted it. And "shock humor"? I don't watch South Park so I'm not familiar with that. Some jokes are just intended to fall flat, especially when coming from Orville because he doesn't quite understand humor, but it's not as apparent in the first two chapters. And please do turn in to the next installment of Ren and Stimpy, I mean Yggdrasil

Years
Spoiler:

Last edited:

Bay

Years
I admit I too got a bit confused at the beginning and thought, "Gengar going inside a human body, sounds interesting." as I read further, Orville refusing Spooky's advance there already is an interesting twist. and his interactions with Mel and Linda already went off to an interesting start. Mel and Linda's Pokemon's interactions with him in the beginning were amusing, too.

"Because in the first place, legendary pokémon are just that—legendary," Mel said. "This kind of crap is something from a sci-fi movie or maybe fan-fiction."

You and your fics over how the legendaries aren't that good. (runs)

I too like Orville being emphatic, first saving them from Latios and then the Pidgeotto. Concerning icomeanon6's pointing out shock humor, I watched some South Park and I think I got what he's talking about. To give an example...

Spoiler:

But yeah, I can see why he pointed that out as if you do that too often the readers might be tired of it fast. You mentioned Orville doesn't understand humor in the normal sense, so I'm interested to see how you'll tackle that further.

Onto the latest chapter, good thing Mel and Linda found someone that can help Orville. and oh, I thought I recognize Dee. Yup, definitely him (from that other fic with Theo the Zoroark and the main character with psychic abilities). I'm still wondering what kind of backstory Mel and Linda have, but I'm sure that will be revealed soon. also curious over what's the deal with Orville, which we'll know soon enough.

Years
Spoiler:

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
Years
Okay, I'm a sucker for Pokémon-Human hybrid fics. My first fanfic ever was a (very bad) PH hybrid fic, and some of my most favourite fics (Anima Ex Machina and The Thinking Man's Guide to Destroying the World) are PH hybrid fics (I mean AEM is kinda one I guess if those creatures count as Pokémon). That said, what I think sets yours apart is that your actually isn't so much a hybrid fic, as in Pokémon and human working together symbiotically (or humans being the character focus), as it is just this ghost Pokémon up and possessing this dude—because reasons, and I think that's just so fantastically macabre that I was hooked right away.

Anon's said pretty much everything I wanted to say about your incredible opening so I won't repeat what he said save for mentioning that I agree completely. The semi-serious style of narration just works, and I don't want to knock it because I can't really see how it could be improved without straying too much from this style which I enjoy immensely. It reminds me of a more sarcastic and darker Thinking Man's Guide, which isn't a bad thing in any way.

Moving on from the opening, the synergy (corporations have ruined that word forever) between Orville and the twins is actually really well written. Orville's flippant attitude towards literally everything about humans and the world except what he's told to do, Mel's dry wit and bravado façade, and Linda's general pure and goodness schtick feel to me as natural as Neapolitan ice cream. You'd think that two jerkasses to a trio would get tiring really fast, but I think the balance here comes from the fact that while Mel, who only his sister could love, acts like a complete jerk, he generally isn't treated like he's much of anything at all, which I find hilarious. So he just completely fails to come off as a badass jerk like Orville and more like a kid trying to act tough. Anyway, I may be completely off the mark here, but that's what I think is so interesting about their dynamic. The fact that at least one of your jerks is a complete punching bag.

Leading on from that, I can't help but laugh every time something bad happens to Mel or when an adult (like Dee) isn't fazed by his tough guy act because it's just so satisfying. This line, particularly, resonated with really well in that regard:
And a pidgeotto came and plucked Mel up. Like a magikarp.

It was so ridiculously satisfying it was hilarious.
I just lost it at that point. That was good, very good.

In any case, I think everyone's mostly said what I've wanted to say up to this point. One tiny thing I want to point out is that I'm not completely sold on the Latios appearing out of nowhere and disappearing into nowhere thing. That just seemed awfully convenient to me. I suppose it's got something to do with the anomaly, but potentially that could use some explaining because everyone seems to have forgotten about the Latios already despite the massive threat it posed before, and ehhh… it just feels unresolved at this point. Potentially it could come back to bite them in the rear, but it feels like at least somebody would have made a note of it by now, Pidgeotto abduction or no.

Anyway yeah. Great start to a fic! I'd definitely love to see more of this.

Years
Okay, I'm a sucker for Pokémon-Human hybrid fics. My first fanfic ever was a (very bad) PH hybrid fic, and some of my most favourite fics (Anima Ex Machina and The Thinking Man's Guide to Destroying the World) are PH hybrid fics (I mean AEM is kinda one I guess if those creatures count as Pokémon). That said, what I think sets yours apart is that your actually isn't so much a hybrid fic, as in Pokémon and human working together symbiotically (or humans being the character focus), as it is just this ghost Pokémon up and possessing this dude—because reasons, and I think that's just so fantastically macabre that I was hooked right away.
I actually like to think of it as "because potatoes" but y'know, reasons works too {XD}
Moving on from the opening, the synergy (corporations have ruined that word forever) between Orville and the twins is actually really well written. Orville's flippant attitude towards literally everything about humans and the world except what he's told to do, Mel's dry wit and bravado façade, and Linda's general pure and goodness schtick feel to me as natural as Neapolitan ice cream. You'd think that two jerkasses to a trio would get tiring really fast, but I think the balance here comes from the fact that while Mel, who only his sister could love, acts like a complete jerk, he generally isn't treated like he's much of anything at all, which I find hilarious. So he just completely fails to come off as a badass jerk like Orville and more like a kid trying to act tough. Anyway, I may be completely off the mark here, but that's what I think is so interesting about their dynamic. The fact that at least one of your jerks is a complete punching bag.
Ah! You've no idea how ecstatic I got reading this, because I didn't think I was writing their synergy that well, but you understand! I would jump through the net and kiss you if it wouldn't be so inappropriate!
Leading on from that, I can't help but laugh every time something bad happens to Mel or when an adult (like Dee) isn't fazed by his tough guy act because it's just so satisfying. This line, particularly, resonated with really well in that regard: [insert divine comeuppance quote here] I just lost it at that point. That was good, very good.
Would you believe that Mel had a girlfriend back home? Actually that's a total lie {XD}
In any case, I think everyone's mostly said what I've wanted to say up to this point. One tiny thing I want to point out is that I'm not completely sold on the Latios appearing out of nowhere and disappearing into nowhere thing. That just seemed awfully convenient to me. I suppose it's got something to do with the anomaly, but potentially that could use some explaining because everyone seems to have forgotten about the Latios already despite the massive threat it posed before, and ehhh… it just feels unresolved at this point. Potentially it could come back to bite them in the rear, but it feels like at least somebody would have made a note of it by now, Pidgeotto abduction or no.
*serious face* It was, actually. Latios' appearance was heralded like this:
A wave of vertigo hit him as time caught up and he just barely caught himself as he spun towards the ground. He let his eyes roam the land to find stretches of darkness like fingers left from the shadows like dirty residue, branching out from his feet and past Linda's body to Mel, who was in just as prone of a state. . . . "Ugh," he groaned, slapping a hand against his forehead as the world began to spin slowly in his peripheral. He felt like utter crap but he couldn't afford to focus on it at the moment. A disturbance happened there, and even though he didn't know the finer details or even the cause, he did know the consequence: a portal through Yggdrasil would open.
So, I actually got more expo on anomalies coming up, but this is how they work here: there's a disturbance in the Force and it weakens space, making a little tear in it that legendaries come through, like here. That's how Latios got into the human world. Then Orville made another portal:
They came out of a particularly thick growth to a small clearing with a pond the size of a human vehicle. The pokémon lounging around it immediately scattered as Orville came bursting in, and he wasted no time as he felt Latios almost literally breathing down his neck. He didn't even release Linda and Mel as he jumped into the water, and as he passed through he spun around to release his energy to the surface. Latios attempted to follow him but just as he breached the water the portal formed, causing him to vanish whereas Orville just sunk through six feet under. He waited until the portal vanished on its own, being incredibly weak, and then he surfaced, letting Linda and Mel have their own unpleasant awakening.
I mean, portals are portals, they are kinda like disappearing/appearing. But I'll go back and amend it a little. P.S. having you read is like, freaking wow, because I really think you're better spoken (read: written) than me, so thanks guy!

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
Years
That's how Latios got into the human world. Then Orville made another portal:
Oh dang, I actually said that Latios appeared suddenly, but actually that was more of an exaggeration on my part to contrast how he disappeared suddenly. Sorry about that. What I meant to say was that I wasn't sold on his sudden disappearance. That being said, I've just realised, from your reply, that you actually did describe it and I totally forgot that Orville had opened a portal to banish Latios again, so that points kinda moot now. Umm... this is embarassing. I guess I was thinking of the time Winnie the Pooh jumped into a mud puddle to escape bees, but in retrospect Latios being bothered by a bit of water (friggin Alto Mare is Venice!) doesn't particularly make sense either. So sorry, my mistake!

having you read is like, freaking wow, because I really think you're better spoken (read: written) than me, so thanks guy!
Aww, you're making me blush. :3c All I am is just some dude, but I'm happy that you liked the review. :)

Bay

Years
"Millenniums ago… Perhaps even eons… Where the legendaries exist, time is nearly irrelevant—there is only a fight here and there to mark its passage, and how long it continues, and how long it takes for the fallen to revive and, vindictive as they are, return for further bloodshed. We exist to keep the balance, yet most are fonder of damaging it to watch what can happen to the residents all along Yggdrasil…" He stopped as if he realized what he said and completely changed his tune. "And that's why I'm here! To have those guys in this world where the amount of pokémon that can adequately fight a legendary are limited would just be a travesty."

Oh, this explains Orville's role there. Indeed sounds like a tough one there. With the mentions of Arceus, him being ghost-type, and refusing the gracidea, not hard to pinpoint what Pokemon he is. The mention of the possession there was also interesting.

"You won't believe me," Orville said, "and I'm really not in the mood for your verbal tirade, Mel." The woman returned with a dragonite that served them their plates. Orville's food turned out to be a salad adorned with pink petals and a large glass of something dark and bubbly, and when he saw it his face went white like he was about to die. "Um, is this gracidea?" he asked the bartender.

Dragonite as a server is a cute imagery, heh.

"Orville?" Mel snapped his fingers in front of him and Orville's eyes crossed trying to follow the movement. Mel picked up the cup and smelled it. "You never drank beer before?"

"Beer? What's that?" he asked tiredly.

"That's a no, that's what that is. Well now you're even more useless than before."

"'m not useless," he muttered, banging his fist against the wood. "I can do more than just cause trouble for everyone… Damn Arceus for not seeing that…!"

I know what it's like to feel useless.

This went from amusing Orville being buzzed to Mel been drinking in the past very fast. Looks like things will be awkward for Linda and Mel for a while.

While I'm sure you're waiting for the right oppurtunity to reveal Linda and Mel's backstory, I do hope it'll be sooner than later as Mel avoided that subject several times now. Of course, I also would prefer their backstory be revealed gradually which I'm sure you're doing that already with the mention of Mel drinking. Still looking forward to more!

Years
Spoiler:

Bay

Years
Spoiler:

I admit, this part had me chuckled.

Okay finally we get reason for Mel's attitude. Not hard to understand why he's like that (and him sneaking out, which yeah my mistake for still thinking he drank alcohol oops). Ouch over him being beaten by Mikey and that aerodactyl, though.

The most surprising parts were Orville's true form revealed (well, at least to Mel and Linda) and Zygarde featured there. Can't wait until Sun/Moon, huh? =P Dang it Orville, what did the cells do to you, lol. Perhaps we'll see their showdown next time? Either way, looking forward to more!

Years
Spoiler:

Bay

Years
"It's a sweet thing made of milk, sugar, salt… It can have other flavors too, like fruit or mint. I tried sharing one with a little boy long time ago—he was really smart—but he said he didn't like sweets, but I'm not sure if I'm making that up or not—"

I spot another reference there. =P

"Salad."

"Really?"

"It makes me feel like I'm consuming one of my adversaries." She groaned and flopped over, throwing her paws up in exasperation. Giratina wasn't one to appreciate cuteness, but the little display was amusing enough to get a short chuckle from him. "It's not funny!"

Okay, I laughed at this part.

I too thought the jab with the legendaries there was fun. Man, Azelf sure hates the smell of humans lol. Also nice to see Mew there still as cute as ever, heh. Even though I'm familiar with that Mew before, Bardothren probably has a point if your readers haven't read one of your previous works yet. Looking forward to more!

Years
Eh, well, I use the references as a joke between me and my friends at school; even though I put them, the legendaries and Mew are all different with different personalities from my old stories. Speaking of, I'm still trying to decide if Mewtwo's gonna be a good guy this time around xD

Years
Spoiler:

Bay

Years
Like Bardothren, the flashback with Shaymin seems a bit sudden there, though I'm assuming Shaymin and Giratina's relationship might be important. I do like some of the banter between Giratina and Zygarde, for instnace the bath and shower talk around the end of their battle. Some lines I feel are a bit overstuffed, though, like the paragraph that starts with "We all think as humans, whether we'd like to or not. I know Mew does." I can see Giratina trying to push Zygarde's buttons there, but the speech went a bit too long there.

Oh, hey Mew, nice save there. And oh dear over Orville. Yeah, Giratina will needs some recovering after that big battle.

Years
Spoiler:

Back