• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Back in my day...

Bidoof FTW

[cd=font-family:carter one; font-size:13pt; color:
Years
  • What video game/s do you feel the most nostalgia for? Do you ever go back and play it again to try and get that same experience back?

For me it has to be Runescape, I poured countless hours into this game as a kid and will always think of it fondly. Every now and then I try to enjoy it again but it's just not what it used to be. The free to play has turned into a bad demo and the membership's increased price is just not worth it when there are better MMOs out there.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, the classic one from 2007.

Of course with Modern Warfare Remastered coming out in less than a week, which is sadly bundled with Infinite Warfare, i feel like I should go back with the Crew Expendable and get All Ghilled up.

The sad part is that the CoD4 Dedicated Servers on PC may have already shut down ages ago, but given how MWR is bundled with Infinite Warfare and it would cost a FORTUNE in getting even just the Legacy Edition, some people may find ways to revive the old CoD4 servers again FOR PC.

Duke Nukem 3D

Of course this has a place in the nostalgia train simply because its the first FPS game I ever got to play where i saw strippers, interactions that don't really mean anything other than small forms of entertainment, a hero who was basically a symbol of testosterone nourishment, and obviously it was the 2nd FPS game i got to play after Doom, and it was a healthy transition before going in to Quake 2..

speaking of Which. Quake 2 is also on board. Mainly just playing the campaign again since I never really finished this game on PC. I remember having the PSX Quake 2 but I only played it on the Easy difficulty since FPS on consoles were never my thing even as a kid. Heck I was worse.

Killzone 2

Yes ladies and birds, Killzone 2 is nostalgia for me since it was one of the very first PS3 games that I had so much hype for and when i had it, I was proud and loud to be a PS3 owner. If I ever had to make a Top x-hundred list of First Person Shooters that I have ever played, Killzone 2 is definitely on my list.

Killzone 2 is basically a huge improvement over Killzone 1. While Killzone 1 was a rather shoddy and buggy mess that had potential to be great, Killzone 2 was simply it being perfected in its Execution. The single player campaign was alright, but what really got me was the Multiplayer. Multiplayer or Skirmish with Bots or actual online multiplayer was a blast. Its too bad that we may or may not see any new Killzone games for the upcoming years. Heck, I need to check if Killzone Shadow Fall still get support from its own devs for its multiplayer component...

Also, despite me being TERRIBLE on playing First Person Shooters with a controller, Killzone 2 was still a game i played because I really loved the Killzone series. Every time i boot up our PS3 and play some of that Killzone 2, courtesy of the Killzone Trilogy Collection

Every Dynasty Warriors game

I pretty much mention every DW game to be ever released as part of my nostalgia trip for the one big simple factor -> It was Dynasty Warriors that made me want to have a PS2 years and years ago. Every time I play a game from said series, I look and think back at those days as a kid where I was asking my dad that I wanted a PS2. If It weren't for the Dynasty Warriors games for the PS2, with 3 being the game that i first saw from the series, I would never have asked for a PS2 and just skipped ahead and let PC be my platform forever.

I bought every DW game to be released save for the first DW game, which wasn't even the same genre as the rest of the series, and DW2, which was so rare that I couldn't find anyone who had it the time i came to know and love the series. I've mentioned this plenta of times already. DW3, DW3XL, DW4, DW4XL, DW4 Empires, DW5 (Base game, XL, Empires) <---- If I remember DW5 is the game in the series i spent the most time on, then onward to DW6, DW6 Special, DW7 (i didn't bother with the spinoff expansions), and finally DW8 (Base Game, Xtreme Legends, and Empires). If I have to count the Warriors Orochi Series (Crossover of Dynasty and Samurai Warriros), thats 1, 2, and even 3. So yeah that's literally my library of DW games.

Even though there are some DW games for the PC (DW4 Hyper, DW6, DW7, and even DW8 in the form of Xtreme Legends: Complete Edition), i still prefer to play the DW games on our good ole Sony PS consoles (PS2 and PS3) because of nostalgic biases. It just doesn't feel the same playing the games on PC, heck if I wanted to play on PC, i have specific games and titles for that. Not for Dynasty Warriors.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Gunstar Heroes

The first game I have ever beaten, and I love it. Great soundtrack, fun bosses, tons of fun stomping incredibly huge amount of mooks that die in a few hits in levels. Even the little touches like bosses emoting every now and then is great. Though some sound effects are kinda weird.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Blue Rescue team and Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky

Absolutely love these games. Granted I mainly only play Explorers of Sky now because it has polished game mechanics and a way better story, while Blue Rescue Team(and Red Rescue Team) were obviously just a test to see if people would like these types of games, though they are still fun. Both games have awesome music that fits what you are doing very well too. I also joined a PMD comic making community on deviantART because of these games back in the day, and it was the first time I ever joined any big social club or w/e and it was tons of fun so that's some extra nostalgia.

Years
  • Loads of old games give me the nostalgia bug. I mostly feel nostalgia for games that I spent a lot of hours in when I was younger, so here's what comes to mind:

• Super Mario World (SNES)
    • TMNT Turtles in Time (SNES)
    • Super Star Wars (SNES)
    • Batman Forever (SNES)
    • StarCraft (PC)
    • Need for Speed Porsche Unleashed (PC)
    • Morrowind (PC)

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
    Years
  • I love me some Half Life 2 and it's episodes. Not only gives me Nostalgia but then makes me really, really... really... unbearably... sad.... Because it will never be finished. Thx steam.

Years
  • The Final Fantasy Legend

Technically, it's a SaGa game, but it doesn't change the greatness of the game itself. Triple battles? Try fighting 20+ enemies at once with a team of four back in '92

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    In elementary school I played MapleStory with my friends a lot - it was lots of fun then, and a few years later we jokingly picked it up and got addicted played for a short while again in our spare time, but after that phase I haven't touched it since. There wasn't anything in particular I didn't like about it, but it is very grindy (like most MMORPGs) so I just kinda lost interest at higher levels when the grind was too real and I got to the "why am I even doing this" point.

Single player games, I mostly played on the Nintendo handhelds a lot as a kid, so obviously Pok?mon, Mario games, Harvest Moon were among some of the games I sunk the most time into. I was also super into the Ace Attorney games - I actually replayed the series multiple times, I just really liked the stories, lol.

I also loved Final Fantasy - lots of good memories with FFX/FFX-2, which I played with my cousin when I was around 10. I also have a soft spot for Crisis Core, which I think is the first game I 100%'d. Tried to restart it in New Game+, but Final Fantasy games just don't have the same impact on me as the very first time I play them.

Years
    • Seen Nov 13, 2016
    The original Legend of Zelda. Up until then, I had only experienced linear side-scrollers so it was truly revolutionary. Super Metroid is still among my favorite games of all time; it got the atmosphere and progression just right.

Years
  • I love me some Half Life 2 and it's episodes. Not only gives me Nostalgia but then makes me really, really... really... unbearably... sad.... Because it will never be finished. Thx steam.

I still don't understand why Valve never finished the Half Life IP. They had a golden opportunity on their hands and just let it pass. Maybe the climate at the studio just wasn't right at the time?

Arsenic

Years
  • I still don't understand why Valve never finished the Half Life IP. They had a golden opportunity on their hands and just let it pass. Maybe the climate at the studio just wasn't right at the time?

Oh thats an easy one. It boils down to two reasons. There's too much hype and high expectations around it that it would have to be absolutely perfect to get any good ratings. The other reason is that they make so much money off steam/CSGO/TF2/DOTA that they have no reason to make a new game. A new game is a risk financially and fan-ancially (a risk to keeping fans)

Yukari

I love me some Half Life 2 and it's episodes. Not only gives me Nostalgia but then makes me really, really... really... unbearably... sad.... Because it will never be finished. Thx steam.

Well just because they haven't up to this point doesn't mean it never will be made. ;c

Years
  • Oh thats an easy one. It boils down to two reasons. There's too much hype and high expectations around it that it would have to be absolutely perfect to get any good ratings. The other reason is that they make so much money off steam/CSGO/TF2/DOTA that they have no reason to make a new game. A new game is a risk financially and fan-ancially (a risk to keeping fans)

Yeah, the reasons make sense, just seems kinda chicken to me ;)

Arsenic

Years
  • Call it chicken, call it business sense, the result is the same. A wonderful franchise abandoned and not allowed to be adopted.

But at least we got Black Mesa Source, and Operation Black Mesa (opposing force remake(that finally smartened up to use BMS assets))

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Heroes of Might and Magic II, Dune II, Unreal Tournament and Pacman (actually its local clone).

I still sometimes give them a spin even now. I have lots of memories playing and beating them in many stages of my life and on many different machines.
    I'm pretty sure I already said this, though :D But well... While I still feel that it's pretty paradox that my nostagic games are PC, it just shows that I did not grow up with consoles and instead became console player :)

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • Mmm, probably Need for Speed Most Wanted. A friend at school put them on my laptop, I went back to my 10 year old days. The games were just so great for me back then...I can remember begging my brother who was in the UK at the time to mail me a copy of Most Wanted from where he was right after I saw it in an ad on television. So much time put into the game, which I feel was well spent.

Sadly, I never actually beat MW, as the disc on my PS2 was really scratched up and always froze during the final blacklist races, and my original laptop broke which meant I could never finish. ;~;

Years
  • Mmm, probably Need for Speed Most Wanted. A friend at school put them on my laptop, I went back to my 10 year old days. The games were just so great for me back then...I can remember begging my brother who was in the UK at the time to mail me a copy of Most Wanted from where he was right after I saw it in an ad on television. So much time put into the game, which I feel was well spent.

Sadly, I never actually beat MW, as the disc on my PS2 was really scratched up and always froze during the final blacklist races, and my original laptop broke which meant I could never finish. ;~;

That sucks. Now that I'm grown up though, I kind of regret it. I feel like I don't appreciate my games as much anymore. $60 is a huge chunk of change when you're a kid. Now I have too many games that I can't even remember if I've beaten the games I've bought or not! The struggle is real.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    I've been playing a few old school games on my 3DS. Kirby, Donkey Kong, Mario, Legend of Zelda. I'm one of those who likes to play old school games.

Back