• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Pokémon] Into The Petalburg Woods

Chemist Wooper

AIN'T HOT, M8
Years
This is a scary story somewhat like the Sleepy Chateau with my twists with it, one being its in Hoenn and some other things I've got planned.

Well I hope you enjoy the prolouge of.....

Into The Petalburg Woods

Prologue

"Oh God.... Oh God!" I thought in my head while I ran through the Petalburg Woods and scraped my arm against some tree branches.

I'm Isaac Willis and I'm 16 years old. I live in Hoenn with my mum and dad with my Surskit. And right now-how do I put it?

I'm running for my life. I really don't know why or how but one day something happened and now im in the Woods. I need to leave but i can't they just go on and on!

Now-Back to the present.

"HHHHHHEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLPPPP!" I screamed at the top of my lungs.

A growl is heard from behind Isaac. Then, a dark figure zooms past he going in a circle.

"WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME?!?" I yelled at the figure.

"I...Want......yo....urrr.....BODY!" the thing had said.

"NO! NOOOOO!" Isaac yelled.

Meanwhile, Isaac's parents were in the hospital besides Isaac's bed and seeing him half close and open his eyes, jerking every now and then.

"Dear, what should we do?" said his mom.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I gotta end it here and ill update weekly on saturdays, byeee!

Last edited:

Chemist Wooper

AIN'T HOT, M8
Years
"AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!" I yelled and woke fromn where I was...which surprisingly is a hospital.

"Oh dear, we were so worried about you!" My mom shrieked in happiness. "We are going home right now and cooking up some fried noodles!" "With some rice, pork tenderloin and some other things!" my mom had said.

My mom is wesome and is a great cook. You haven't lived until eating her fried noodles. I still have no idea why I'm here but I'm happy. I missed my family.

"SURSKKIT!" yelled my Surskit.

"Hey, buddy? How are you doing? Has Mom and Dad kept you well?" I asked.

"Surrrrrskit!" he had said.

We went home and all was well until I went to bed. Then it came.

"Surskit! Sticky web my room!" I yelled. The Surskit had done so.And so I slept but, something was still there.

"Now... We need another member of our crew." " Maybe a Lotad?" "Nahh, I think I'll do a Eevee." I asked my self. I asked my dad to got to the adoption center and asked the lady for Eevee.

"That will be 785 PokeDollars!" she said cheerfully. I handed it to her. WAIT! Pause! Pause the Story! So this will be everything right now because this specific Eevee had changed my life. Lets go back.

"Thanks." I right away started training the Eevee and with my Surskit became a formidable team. I asked my parents to see Steven. Which, BTW, is really hard, since he comes into my town a lot.

"STEVEN!"

"Hey, Isaac!" he said.

"Do you any evolution stones for Eev-"

"No."

Right there by some force, my Eevee had leveled up. I turned to talk to Steven but he left.

Now let's get this even more intense.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your Welcome!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Peek into Chap. 1:

"Eevee! Swift and dodge the Shadow Ball!"

Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick.

Time was going fast and it was dire.

"Surskit use Bubble beam on the opposing Haunter!"

"SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRKIT~!"

"Eeevee!"

I clenched my fists togerther ready to fight the thing.

"EEVEE! SWIFT TWO TIMES!" I yelled pushing them to their limits.

I threw a punch at the body and everything went black my pokemon next me when I woke up on the floor.

Last edited:

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
Okay, this. This needs a lot of work. First of all there's barely any description at all. Only dialogue. Please be more descriptive if you're going to write a fanfic.

Now onto all your grammar errors...

"Oh God.... Oh God!" I thought in my head while I ran through the Petalburg Woods and scraped my arm against some tree branches.

Comma after oh god. It's not a complete sentence. And thoughts aren't speaking words so put them in italics instead. Also this is a run on sentence. Put a period after Petalburg Woods and start a new sentence after scraped by putting "I" in front of it.

Describe Petalburg Woods, by the way.

I'm Isaac Willis and I'm 16 years old. I live in Hoenn with my mum and dad with my Surskit. And right now-how do I put it?

16 should be sixteen. There shouldn't be a hyphen after now. Also, never start a sentence with and, it's not a subject.

I'm running for my life. I really don't know why or how but one day something happened and now im in the Woods. I need to leave but i can't they just go on and on!

Bolding life is really unnecessary. Comma after how as but is a propesition. I see a run-on sentence again and an uncapitalized, fix that. Woods is also capitalized out of nowhere?

Now-Back to the present.

Uncapitalize but.

A growl is heard from behind Isaac. Then, a dark figure zooms past he going in a circle.

The second sentence is a fragment.

"WHAT DO YOU WANT FROM ME?!?" I yelled at the figure.

The all caps is unnecessary here.

Meanwhile, Isaac's parents were in the hospital besides Isaac's bed and seeing him half close and open his eyes, jerking every now and then.

Anyway, this needs a lot of work. I'll come back and analyze chapter one later.

Chemist Wooper

AIN'T HOT, M8
Years
Okay, this. This needs a lot of work. First of all there's barely any description at all. Only dialogue. Please be more descriptive if you're going to write a fanfic.

Now onto all your grammar errors...

Comma after oh god. It's not a complete sentence. And thoughts aren't speaking words so put them in italics instead. Also this is a run on sentence. Put a period after Petalburg Woods and start a new sentence after scraped by putting "I" in front of it.

Describe Petalburg Woods, by the way.

16 should be sixteen. There shouldn't be a hyphen after now. Also, never start a sentence with and, it's not a subject.

Bolding life is really unnecessary. Comma after how as but is a propesition. I see a run-on sentence again and an uncapitalized, fix that. Woods is also capitalized out of nowhere?

Uncapitalize but.

The second sentence is a fragment.

The all caps is unnecessary here.

Anyway, this needs a lot of work. I'll come back and analyze chapter one later.

I'll try. *cough maybe cough* But I kind of life the way I wrote some of that like the all caps and Ill edit it but it won't be perfect.

Last edited:

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
I feel like the posts could be merged into one whole chapter right now, as they're not terribly long, and there's not much reason, storywise or not, to keep them separate at this time.

I'll try. *cough maybe cough* But I kind of life the way I wrote some of that like the all caps and Ill edit it but it won't be perfect.
It's not so much your style Euphonium's talking about per se, but these are thing that both make your story easier to read and improve upon it.

Bay

Years
Oh, hey so you mentioned being inspired by the fic I wrote with my co-writer, so I thought I would give it a quick look.

To be honest, I'm going to have to agree with Euphonium that this needs a lot of work and they're right on the description part. Even though your readers have an idea how a forest is like, you should describe a bit to set up the setting. How is outside like, dark or daytime?? Was there a full moon (if dark), any Pokemon lurking around, a cool breeze? There's then when Issac met with the "mysterious figure." I understand you want to make their appearance a mystery, but you could describe a bit more. You don't have to go on full on description like my co writer, Bardothren and I did with our own mysterious figure, but for your story you could put details like them hiding in the shadows and perhaps their eyes are glowing.

One other problem I have with the prologue is the jump from first to third person point of view, so be careful with that.

Last thing I want to mention is the pacing, everything went too fast. You have Issac in Petalburg forest > Issac in hospital > Issac come home and mysterious figure comes > Issac getting Eevee and training it. The events after Issac was in hospital you can have it in one chapter, but you need to slow down. If you check back with Sleepy Chateau, Bardothren and I had the protagonist go through certain events but not rush through all of that as we added their thoughts and reactions too.

(The Eevee I'm sure it's because of our story. Nothing wrong with that since Eevee has been overused already, but with the way you set up the story it's uncanny. At least Steven said no giving Issac the evolution stone, heh. )

I apologize if this is overwhelming you. Nothing wrong with liking your writing and it doesn't have to be perfect. I mean, I'm pretty sure Sleepy Chateau isn't perfect either even after Bardothren and I rewrote loads of stuff lol. But yeah, thought I would give examples from that story on how to fix up some of your description and pacing since you mentioned it in your notes. This story does have potential as long as it's not too similar from our own story, and I wish you luck.

User19sq

I know I'm late, but I've been meaning to throw my two cents into this. But be warned: if you're like me, then you both crave and fear criticism due to its worth and its potential punch-to-the-gut feeling it tends to carry. But what makes us different in our creative processes is how we take that criticism, and whether or not we decide to grow with it or lash out because of it. I'll try to address what others here didn't, as well as give you my own notes in creative writing to help you. While I don't think myself a good author, nor do I think I can hold a candle up to others here, I would like to still give what little knowledge I can provide. But should you read this soon, I'll tell you right now: don't respond to this immediately. Take everything said here with you, and take at least an entire day off. That way you can have time to yourself and your thoughts, to reflect on your work, and decide what to do with it. Ready? Here goes:

Spoiler:

All stories have potential. Potential to be the greatest thing ever, potential to suck candy-apples, and anything in between. Writing isn't easy, despite how easy the monkeys at William Street make it look. But if you've immersed yourself in many a media, as long as it involves story, then you can learn from them (MOTHER 3 has been considered the closest thing to tragic literature a video game has gotten, and for good reason too). And on top of that, I want to address something:

You took inspiration from Miss Bay and her co-author Bardothren's own work. That's fine, but allow that work to stand on it's own. We can see what they did, but we don't want to find out that this work may be too similar. As pointed out above, Eevee's used in both. If you really like Eevee, then good. But would you like to use another Pokémon in its stead instead? One you yourself happen to like even more? You could've elaborated on how the adoption center works, whether the Pokémon in it are or are not limited to Hoenn natives (I assume they aren't, as Eevee can't be found in Hoenn). That means you can find potentially anything in there! A Mimikyu, a tomato, anything! If the Pokémon are rescued victims of abuse or abandonment, then there's potential for depth in characterization! I hope to Arceus that the Eevee in this story didn't stay in a citizen's pose its entire life waiting for Isaac to swing by...

But back to my point. It's okay to be inspired. I once wrote a horror story on a couple of composition books that I can describe as taking from a pedophile's well-known book, a weirdo Italian's well-known story, and a Konami video game rolled into one, yeh. But I can safely say that this brutal work of... art? is nothing like said inspirations in terms of meaty goodness and lore. It's different. It's new. And it's mine. (Although I should point out that the title of said work has an eerily similar title to this one...) We can see what Miss Bay has given us. Will you give us something else? Something different? Something yours?

Here's my advice. Take all this with you for at least a day to refine your work, iron it out, leave nothing raw. And then get to work. So, you may either have Nah combine your posts into one and edit it into a proper prologue/chapter, ask to have this thread deleted so you can just start anew with this story or something else, or even abandon the work completely. You don't have to do any of these things, as these are merely my suggestions to you. And I would love to see anyone fully realize their potential. But keep in mind: writing isn't easy. It takes tons of mental power and creative prowess. Think everything through and practice the art, and then you will shine. Unless you just have a natural talent, then you can shine off the bat. But even a pro can suck.

I hope you'll do well.

Back