• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Console Wars

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
Years
  • latest

The Console Wars. A timeless battle that has claimed the life of many a system and developer. The battle mostly rages between the far left and far right, or Xbox and Playstation, while Nintendo just seems to lag behind but never quite die.

What side of this conflict are you on? Why do you chose this side over the other? If you don't partake in the War, why not?

cel3ep0etmlkq3v4srrv.jpg

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen yesterday
    PS4, its what my friends were choosing and the early XB1 business model was awful. Saying that, I'll get an XB1 eventually.

User19sq

In middle school, I was part of a trio of gamers. I was the resident Nintendian, the other was a Sonite, and the last was the Microsoftie.

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    PC master race with a little Nintendo action on the side

Yukari

I play games on PC. d: Sometimes I play Nintendo stuff for the exclusives I like but that's the exception, not the rule.

TY

Console wars are imho silly. Every console has its ups and downs...

...then again I play mostly on PC, then there is my PS4 which now collects dust and my 3DS which i start to play more on now

Years
  • I know this might be a cop out, but I don't have a side in this. I spread my talents pretty freely between systems. My home base for gaming these days is PC but I regularly play on Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo consoles. I have favorite games or gaming experiences on each one!

Years
  • I know this might be a cop out, but I don't have a side in this. I spread my talents pretty freely between systems. My home base for gaming these days is PC but I regularly play on Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo consoles. I have favorite games or gaming experiences on each one!

I wish I had the guts to call my gaming hobby as a 'talent'. My family doesn't view my skills as a 'talent' but more a waste of time. Their loss! I'll always be laughing my ass off because their lack of hand-eye coordination!

We all have a family member that spins in circles. Looks down at the controller. Looks up, presses the grenade button. Looks down again at the controller to look up and see their character die from their own grenade. "I don't get it" is their common phrase.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • Games = PS4
    Hardware/Software = Xbox One

Xbox One owner here. I'm actually writing a blog entry about this, but my viewpoint right now is that PlayStation 4 has a better games lineup with their exclusives, but the actual UI software and hardware for the Xbox One is better. I think that's Xbox compensates for their lineup with their backwards compatibility, and new introductions of LFG and Clubs will go a long way for the system. However, I still think that the PS4 has a better games lineup coming up, so it's essentially a toss up between the two.

Arsenic

Years
  • Games = PS4
    Hardware/Software = Xbox One

Xbox One owner here. I'm actually writing a blog entry about this, but my viewpoint right now is that PlayStation 4 has a better games lineup with their exclusives, but the actual UI software and hardware for the Xbox One is better. I think that's Xbox compensates for their lineup with their backwards compatibility, and new introductions of LFG and Clubs will go a long way for the system. However, I still think that the PS4 has a better games lineup coming up, so it's essentially a toss up between the two.

Huh... Thats funny, as I always saw it the other way. Always interesting to see different opinions like that.

I suppose it could always be that I'm more biased towards liking Xbones releases since I owned a 360 and original before, while the PS4 is the first that I've had longer than 2 weeks.

Either way I own all 4 big systems so I'm the console wars Switzerland

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • Huh... Thats funny, as I always saw it the other way. Always interesting to see different opinions like that.

I suppose it could always be that I'm more biased towards liking Xbones releases since I owned a 360 and original before, while the PS4 is the first that I've had longer than 2 weeks.

Either way I own all 4 big systems so I'm the console wars Switzerland

In terms of games, I'm more referring to new IPs. Yes obviously Xbox One has Halo/Gears of War, and new IPs like Sunset Overdrive, Quantum Break, and Ori and the Blind Forest, but games like ReCore and Ryse Son of Rome were average at best. I just think PS4 has a one up in that regards, but we'll see when Microsoft publishes more games like Scalebound.

Here's a comprehensive list of the exclusives; it may be a bit outdated but still works to some extent.

Arsenic

Years
  • I'll have to take a peek at that link later. I was thinking of stuff like Halo Wars 2, horizon 3, gow 4, etc but I guess most of those have already released.

If I were to answer my own question, I only really use consoles for exclusives now. And with Xbox's Play Anywhere initiative I'm finding myself playing on console even less! I play horizon 3, GOW 4, and when it releases Wars 2 exclusively on PC. Why wouldn't you, you even get the full Xbox community in matchmaking (and hopefully one unified Sony-Xbox-PC community soon). I can easily hook up a controller too for games more suited to it (driving games)

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • If I were to answer my own question, I only really use consoles for exclusives now.
    Which is why PS4 wins on this criteria. As you said yourself, with Play Anywhere, there's pretty much no reason to get Xbone if you can play the games on PC.
    If we take it literally and consider PC as a part of exclusivity 'war', we can pretty much say that Xbone has no exclusives (I'm not sure if there is something you cannot play on PC, if there is, scratch that comment).​

Arsenic

Years
  • <b>
    Which is why PS4 wins on this criteria. As you said yourself, with Play Anywhere, there's pretty much no reason to get Xbone if you can play the games on PC.
    If we take it literally and consider PC as a part of exclusivity 'war', we can pretty much say that Xbone has no exclusives (I'm not sure if there is something you cannot play on PC, if there is, scratch that comment).​
    </b>

Seems like a backwards philosophy to me. I applaud Msoft for branching out from console exclusives. It's a step towards getting rid of what is a stupid practice. Heck I could finally sell of my ps4 and xbone if they did this as I again own them for no other reason than games that both companies are too stupid to put on other systems (*cough* Dead Rising 4 *cough*)

Even still I currently own 1 (one) game on PS4 not counting the PS+ freebees. I haven't seen something that interests me come out on that system in a long while...

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • Seems like a backwards philosophy to me. I applaud Msoft for branching out from console exclusives. It's a step towards getting rid of what is a stupid practice. Heck I could finally sell of my ps4 and xbone if they did this as I again own them for no other reason than games that both companies are too stupid to put on other systems (*cough* Dead Rising 4 *cough*)

Even still I currently own 1 (one) game on PS4 not counting the PS+ freebees. I haven't seen something that interests me come out on that system in a long while...
    However, if Sony jumped on this (though, I did with PS Now on PC), then console gaming would pretty much die. If players had a choice of all previously exclusive console games on PC, not many would bother buying anything else.
    Exclusives are a big pillar supporting console industry imo.

Years
    • They/Them
    • Seen Jan 17, 2023
    Kinda skimmed through this thread, admittedly, but no Hyperdimension Neptunia references? Missed opportunity, smh :p

Anyway, if I had to pick one, it'd be Sony. I play games on each company's consoles, though, and PC.

Back