• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tales of Berseria - Game Discussion Thread

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
  • Tales of Berseria supposedly came out today in North America, but it will come out in about 3 more days (Jan 27) for Europe. The main character is Velvet Crowe, as she and a few companions travel through Holy Midgand Empire, a setting in a distant past from the events of Zesteria.

ToB-Early-2017-West.jpg

Is anyone playing this game right now, or at least, is anyone going to be getting this game not to far in the future? Truth be told, I haven't really gone too deep into seeing what this game is all about, but, the characters do look cool, and the gameplay looks like it's improved from Zesteria, at least judging from the demo.

Last edited:

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
  • I pushed myself these last couple weeks through Zestiria and managed to finish it before Berseria's release. The game gets a lot of hate (understandably) but I thought it was a decent experience aside from that poorly done Alisha DLC story. Anyways, I wasn't wowed by the demo as it seemed to be standard Tales fare, but I'm interested to see how our first sole female heroine is handled. Reviews have been quite positive so far so I guess thats a good thing. Hopefully I'll have by the end of today.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Would play it, but I don't have a PS4 (and the PS3 release was Japan only for some reason) so....

Hopefully it turns out to be really good

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
    Years
  • (and the PS3 release was Japan only for some reason) so....
    It's going to be a norm now. Localization of PS3 (and sometimes even Vita) games will be a very rare occasion now. Sony is simply pushing PS4.
    Even if the game is on PS3 in Japan, it is not guaranteed to come west even if localization is announced.

Years
  • I'm looking forward to this game and plan on buying it, though I'm waiting until it's released on Steam. Would be getting it for the PS4, but then I was reminded that the controller is broken, and considering the price of controllers...

Yeah, I'll just wait the few extra days for Steam release, whew.

But I do want to really play it. :D Especially after catching a video on it while at a Gamestop the other week, and hearing them talk about it.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
  • Prologue was pretty intense. Exorcist/Malak are clearly Shepard/Seraphim respectively so there's some connection already to Zestiria at the very least. I'm also liking Velvet so far.

Fans were making a big deal about a certain censored scene, but I honestly didn't even notice it.

Loewe

Lionheart
    Years
  • Already loving the game, feels like a huge step up from Zestiria and Xillia 2. What baffles me the most is the AI doesn't just run around in circles anymore. My party has been successfully taking on plenty of enemies on their own and killing them in a flash. Also enjoying the connections its drawing from Zestiria, and I'm only level 20 so far.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • Berseria is REALLY GOOD. I played it in August and put about 90 hours into the main story easily... and I didn't even do everything! It brings back series mainstays like cooking, minigames, and so on. There's a few costumes in-game, too, which is nice after the sheer lack of them once Bamco started peddling DLC. (The DLC is really cute too... I... spent WAY too much on it. >_>)

I utterly hated Zestiria and was ready to quit the series if Berseria wasn't an improvement and I was blown away by how much I liked it. Now if only they'd given Velvet real clothes.......

Years
  • I'm torn because it sounds like it's a big improvement over Zestiria and yet knowing it's connected to Zestiria at all is enough to put me off from it, especially since it sounds like you get more out of it by beating Zestiria first and I have no intentions of trying that any time soon. I also tried the demo for Berseria and wasn't impressed by the battle system that Bamco changed yet again for no real reason, which has been a big part of the problem I've had with the series as a whole recently.

I guess it's one less game to worry about for the time being. Maybe it'll have a price drop by the time I get around to playing it, if ever.

ソラ

Im gonna be the King of the Pirates
    Years
  • This be the first Tales game imma get (my friend said he'll get it for me) in a while. I didnt pick up ToZ cause of all the complaints i hear about it, and it did look uninteresting to me. But Berseria looks interesting to me, and my friend and I had a discussion about it, and he said hell get it for me, (long story of why he offered to get it for me), but Im excited I didnt play much of the demo i want to have the full experience.

Back