• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

LoZ - Breath of the Wild

bobandbill

one more time
Years
  • This game needs a thread!

Off the bat - let's keep spoilers (story, bosses, etc) in spoiler tags for everyone's well-being.

I have played a lot of this today after getting up to leaving the first area the previous night. So much exploring to do in this game! Truly a joy. I like that you have fancy weapons off the bat compared to... any other LoZ game I suppose.

I took some screenshots - minor spoilers at best, I found a dragon flying around a spot and no idea if I will have to fight it (probably?). I feel it is a rare occurrence.

http://imgur.com/gallery/eTPJu

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I want to play it. Likely gonna be a few months until I can though. Have fun everybody!

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Never played a Zelda game but this will most likely be my first. While I can't afford a Switch right now, I'll probably get one later in the year and get BotW with it. Visuals for this game look stunning!

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    Almost fell to my death from the first tower in the game. So that was fun.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
    Years
  • Almost fell to my death from the first tower in the game. So that was fun.

I died a few times climbing that tower. I'm so glad I increased my stamina wheel first - it's helped immensely in exploring. That's one thing I really like about this game, lol - and that's that you combat the environment as well and your stamina wheel is basically your hearts in that regard. I think I'm going to improve the stamina wheel a few more times before increasing my hearts because monsters either do very little damage or one shot me so far so I don't see much need to increase my hearts right now.

Sir Codin

God I need to go around and get some more stamina. I fell off the thorn tower near Hamtaro-or-whatever Village multiple times before giving up and just going off taking more pictures of ladies with the Stone.

THIS GAME IS AMAZING.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • I have some money saved up. Im a very apprehensive spender... is it worth buying the Switch now for BotW? I probably wouldnt buy any other game until another Fire Emblem or Pokemon game comes out.

I should wait until summer so i have more time perhaps.

Years
  • I got lost for about 2 hours right at the beginning of the game because I didn't know where to go even though they gave me the marker on the map. It was turned off somehow and didn't know that you could make markers from the Quest Log. It was really fun discovering the game like that with no guide or anything since I had no clue and was going off of what remembered what they explained.

The game is really impressive and fun, anyone on the fence about buying because of there only really being Zelda at launch will probably be satisfied with it.

I have gotten past the first Plateau area and have the glider so I can explore the whole world pretty much. Having so many different weapons is fun and I like the fact that they break often because it keeps me on my toes using different items.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    I love the Assassin's Creed nature of this game. Once I got the glider I immediately headed for a tower a ways away in a section clearly not meant for visiting yet. Almost got destroyed on the way there, but it was so worth it.

Haven't played a Zelda game since the N64. Could have easily skipped this game and the launch of the Switch. Glad I didn't.

Sir Codin

I have some money saved up. Im a very apprehensive spender... is it worth buying the Switch now for BotW? I probably wouldnt buy any other game until another Fire Emblem or Pokemon game comes out.

I should wait until summer so i have more time perhaps.
    It's going to depend on how much you enjoy open-world games and whether or not you consider less framerate drops worth the price of admission.

I personally got the Wii U version and even though there are framerate drops - seriously, this game is pushing the console's hardware to it's absolute limits - it isn't unbearable or a deal-breaker for me. It's gorgeous and it's also very much a direction I wanted Zelda to go into after decades of formula. It's pretty much the original Legend of Zelda with all the improvements other games have made to the open-world sandbox genre since then.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • It's going to depend on how much you enjoy open-world games and whether or not you consider less framerate drops worth the price of admission.

I personally got the Wii U version and even though there are framerate drops - seriously, this game is pushing the console's hardware to it's absolute limits - it isn't unbearable or a deal-breaker for me. It's gorgeous and it's also very much a direction I wanted Zelda to go into after decades of formula. It's pretty much the original Legend of Zelda with all the improvements other games have made to the open-world sandbox genre since then.

Ive never played a Zelda game, but I love open world games. Is there a lot of content?

Years
  • It's going to depend on how much you enjoy open-world games and whether or not you consider less framerate drops worth the price of admission.

I've never been into open world games. The first one I thought was gonna be great after many others that I just didn't like was Phantom Pain and that disappointed me so badly and as huge a Metal Gear fan as I am that was sad. I hated how it was so closed and I couldn't even climb mountains and had to take only the set roads pretty much to get anywhere really made me think I would never find an open world game I would enjoy. Oh and there was nothing to even do in the world while traveling except for finding plants and crap. That game made me swear off them, but Zelda was the last one I would try. And I'm so glad I decided to because I've finally found an open world with so much to do that actually makes me want to explore it to the fullest. This game like you said truly is Zelda 1 but with all the bells and whistles of modern gaming plus the signature Nintendo charm. I'm loving this game and can't wait to see what Mario is like because Nintendo has stated that it's going to return to more open style of 64 and Sunshine. So let's hope we start seeing a newer open era of Nintendo. Seems like they are shooting for some different experiences this generation than they're used to.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
    Years
  • I don't even really play Zelda usually but I am so excited to get this and play this. It looks INCREDIBLE. Which area have you guys enjoyed exploring the most so far?

Not sure, I haven't gone anywhere with much variance from Hyrule Fields. However, I really enjoyed traveling to Zora Domain. The small pockets of thunderstorms protecting rare treasure was a nice touch. And stealing Shock Arrows from the Lynel on top of the mountain was pretty tense.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • If you get it with a Switch, you have the advantage of playing it anywhere you go. The Switch handles the game very well in handheld mode, but it may struggle a touch in TV mode since it upscales it to full 1080p whereas the handheld runs at only 720p. The Wii U version is nice for pre-existing owners though, however, there have been mentions of load times being a bit longer because of less powerful hardware.

So far this game has been fantastic. It's super open and there's so much you can do.

I wouldnt really play it on the go, except maybe if i visit family or something. I dont have a Wii U, so I would rather buy the Switch.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • So far this game has been fantastic. It's super open and there's so much you can do. I'm about to go and figure out the last of the initial shrines on the opening island, but I don't think there's too much more I need to do. I just need to really stock up on Spicy Peppers before I start. If I could find some warmer clothing too that'd be cool.
    Hint - if you make a certain meal and talk to the old man, he'll give you a jumper for cold weather! If you find his hut you'll get enough info on the recipe. (No worries deal if you already finished the first area either, I think you can just get the jumper from the hut then.. or just buy it elsewhere.)

Years
  • So I rode a bear and a stag. This game is amazing.

Screenshots: http://imgur.com/gallery/GXt7l

Hint - if you make a certain meal and talk to the old man, he'll give you a jumper for cold weather! If you find his hut you'll get enough info on the recipe. (No worries deal if you already finished the first area either, I think you can just get the jumper from the hut then.. or just buy it elsewhere.)
    Holy crap, I figured horses were the only things you could ride. This game has it all. And yeah I found the meal the old man wanted and figured out the recipe, pretty simple one too. I remember I had to go hunting for about half an hour for an ingredient just to make it.

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    So I rode a bear and a stag. This game is amazing.

Screenshots: http://imgur.com/gallery/GXt7l

Moosh, is that you?

90px-Moosh-Flying.png

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Picked it up yesterday for WiiU. I love it! So much to do and explore.

Sir Codin

Instead of travelling to Akkala by way of horse on roads, I went around the mountains climbing and swimming on occasion and got asstons of ore to get money from, then ran through fields screaming like a little girl while Guardians were trying to blast my ass to cinders. And I still got there.

That's how open this game is.

Back