• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pimp My Video Game

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    I mod a few games a little and a few games a lot. I really like to mod minecraft for example, but I rarely mod skyrim.
    For minecraft I like mods that add lots of grinding
    For skyrim I like big houses and OP weapons, and loooots of perks

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    I added a lot of mods to Skyrim back in the day, because vanilla gets a bit boring after a while. I think there was a thread specifically about Skyrim mods a while back and I mentioned some there, but I had a DB mod that added more functionality to the Dawnstar Sanctuary and new questlines, also a hunter's guild for my archer character. Those were the bigger ones that I remember, and I also had a couple aesthetic mods.

I also recall modding Stardew Valley - mostly aesthetic changes too since the gameplay doesn't need much tweaking imo. I downloaded new portraits and furniture, but that was about it.

I've actually never modded Minecraft personally IIRC - the bulk of my experience with Minecraft is actually through the multiplayer servers we've had here, so the most modded Minecraft I played was on Wobbu's server, since he added a bunch of new features to his server. Every other server we had was pretty vanilla, so that's what I'm used to. I rarely even use texture packs, I'm so used to looking at the default graphics, lol.

Lucario

Hardly active since 2017!
    Years
  • I modded minecraft a LOT back when I still played it, it would be common to see me have 150+ mods active, and I think my favorite was certainly tinker's construct, because it added so much more creativity to the crafting system.

More recently I've been modding kerbal space program. It's a great game, but there are a few mods that are basically essential to make it playable on more complex missions (Kerbal engineer, Transfer window planner, Kerbal alarm clock etc) and I like a lot of the graphics mods (Ven's revamp, Astronomers visual pack repackaged) that just make the game look so much better (the screenshots in my signature were taken with AVP enabled)

Years
  • The only one game I remember using mods on was Diablo II. Mostly was about increasing drop chances and monster difficulty as well as adding some monsters, changed locations and improved skills in various characters.

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
    Years
  • Hell yeah I mod the shit out of any game with an active community for it. All Bethesda games (another front Fallout 4 fails on though) and source games. Hell some of my favorite games started as mods, like Insurgency and Black Mesa. I'll go more into detail later.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    Now that I don't care as much about achievements anymore, I might re-install Fallout 4 to my XBOX One, and download an infinite health and ammo mod and go to town.

Years
  • I've only ever actually properly modded Minecraft before, with Tekkit and similar mods, as well as graphic enhancing ones. I have modded Skyrim before, but only included the more practical mods, like the unofficial patch and open cities for example.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • I was about to make a topic on mods and total convertions but someone had the common courtesy to make a topic so I oblige.

Brutal Doom:
    7lT0rOX.png

Unless a lot of you have been living under a rock, Brutal Doom is a mod for Classic Doom that reinvents the game in several aspects such as the much more graphic violence with the outrageous amounts of blood and gore, as well as changes to the player's weaponry and even changes to the enemy monsters to match the much more violent facelift that Brutal Doom provides to Classic Doom.

Kvd2ii2.png

And since Brutal Doom is a mod, it is open to several other modifications. Pictured above is a screencap of me playing my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE Doom mod, Brutal Doom: Project Brutality. Project Brutality is a stand alone expansion to Brutal Doom that provides even more gameplay changes, weapons, customizations, and even enemy monsters to dial up the Brutal Doom Experience. Simply put, Project Brutality is summed up as this = Take everything that was great about Brutal Doom, then Multiply it by a hundred and 11.

Aside from Brutal Doom and its other expansions (mods) there are a bunch of other mods for Classic Doom that I would like to mention:

vUBVO6d.png

DOOM 4 Doom.

DOOM 4 Doom aka D4D is a mod that emulates the gameplay of DOOM 2016 into the classic Doom engine. While currently in a 3.0 beta state, the mod provides a ton of gameplay and content that does its best to replicate everything that DOOM 2016 offered and done well given the limitations and potential of the classic Doom engine. Its a pretty fun mod even for those who have played Brutal Doom (and its expansions) and the DOOM reboot themselves.

pyv2XRk.png

Note: Me IRL. Totally
    OciqhsV.png

Trailblazer is a Doom mod that puts you in the shoes of Malcolm, a 80s-90s esque Action hero who smokes a lot of cigarettes while wielding an outrageous arsenal of badass weaponry such as dual wielded shotguns, akimbo Uzis, revolvers that shoot out explosive bullets, or pictured above, the Full Throttle, a Minigun combined with a Heavy Machinegun to absolutely demolish any foe that comes out within the depths of hell and beyond.

I have a bunch of other mods that I would love to mention but I'll spurt out first my overall opinion on mods and modding in general:

****ing awesome.

Mods and modding is what keeps a lot of games, especially really old ones be relevant within the scene. It helps dedicated users see the potential of old game engines to come up with fresh and exhilerating games that would easily become candidates for future commercial games.

Also as a side note, we should thank certain developers for releasing the source code of their respective games so that modders and modding communities can go to town with em. Its the reason why Classic Doom and many other old school games have very expansive mods.

Hell, I'd literally want Trailblazer to become its own fully fledged game in the near future.

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
    Years
  • Right-o!

So to elaborate on modding... Jeez where do I start.

So I've modded most games that have an active community. From PAYDAY 2 (Got exclusive skin made for my Eagle Heavy (SCAR)), to Fallout 3 (I was pals with the creator of the Battlefield 2142 import mod who ended up being hired to Digital Extremes) and Skyrim (Classic Skyrim doesn't even load anymore, crappy x84 piece of shite), and all the way to Half-Life 2 (I have a whole list to check out below!) Garrys Mod(My Gmod folder has to be nearing >75gb), and Black mesa source(Which started as a mod itself!)!

There is so much great content to see out there! I think Fallout New Vegas is one of the best places to look to see what I mean. There is practically 3 entire games being made with it and all you have to buy is New Vegas. Not to mention the plethura of smaller mods available, from new real and fictional weapons, New armor, new locations, and even new player races! New Vegas has the most high-quality (and low quality too) mod content available for a game that I've ever seen!

Another series that has a tonne of mods is the Half-Life series. Both on the Gldsrc engine and the current Source engine there are many new adventures and multiplayer options available. From capture the flag, to Jailbreak, to cooperative mods, RTS games and everything else imaginable! Heck, many great mods for Half-Life have been of such high quality they've ended up on Steam, such as Black Mesa Source (Heck this game was so good Valve helped them set up a full studio, named the Crowbar Collective). If you enjoy Half-Life 2 and it's episodes some mods you should check out are, HL2: Downfall (Unfinished), Half-Life Precursor, Research and Development, and Mission Improbable! All are great, high quality stories set in a fantastic universe!

Hell, I even remember modding in hacked maps to Halo 3 on the X360 that had things like Warthog gauss and scorpion turrets hard mounted around the map! Good times!

So, to anyone who hasn't tried mods, I recommend changing that! Go download Inigo for Skyrim he's the best companion ever!

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • I'd like to advertise Half-Payne (Halflife x Max Payne) but I would be forum linking, which is totally not allowed.

In other regards...

My 2 Favorite Doom mods finally going head to head like a match made in heaven!

CFKQN7I.png

Trailblazer (My absolute favorite NOT Brutal Doom gameplay + weapons mod ever) VS Brutal Doom: Project Brutality's Monsters (Monster mod)

My favorite set of weapons to use in any first person shooter game ever VS my favorite set of demonic enemies to fight and slaughter in any first person shooter game ever. This is the best thing ever.

and yes, that got me E3REKCT.

I always love it when mods become compatible with each other. That's what keeps the modding communities alive and running. Being able to mix and match several mods into one cohesive mass of fun and ultra-violent goodness is delicious.

I'm definitely going to showcase many of these Doom mods that I'm playing as sort of a demented "NOT LET'S PLAYS". Considering that I have GBs worth of Doom mods, that includes SEVERAL VERSIONS of Brutal Doom including but not limited to Vanilla Brutal Doom (20b), Project Brutality, Brutal Doom V19 Enhanced Edition, Johnny's Doom, Brutal Doom 64, Insanity's Brutality and several map packs to play them on, I have a lot of stuff to work with as I'm busy moving stuff from computer to computer.

Regarding other s*** related to modding, Campaign or Map Editors in certain games do help. After all, Warcraft 3: TFT may have had some of the craziest mods ever, hell, one so crazy it became a genre in itself.

Also messing around with War3:TFT and even Starcraft 2's Map editors are fun. Though obviously, War 3 TFT's mod support is still vastly superior compared to Starcraft 2 because that's what older games are for. That delicioserino mod support. Remember ladies, if you still have your older games and suddenly find out that they have insane mod support, remember to KEEP THEM.

Also, modding.. Its such a PC thing, AMIRITE FORUM? PC thing? PC, the best gaming machine ever, and PC, the acronym of le forum we spend a few minutes of our lives with, and also said forum having a large modding community that's an entire species altogether?

My face when i try to deliver a joke that EVERYONE should understand
    Spoiler:

Years
  • Network Addon Mod is absolutely essential for play Sim City 4 Deluxe. It makes so many improvements to the game as far as traffic goes. Instead of traffic taking the shortest route, the Network Addon Mod makes traffic take the quickest route and it actually has noticeable variances, so not all of your sims are trying to take that one specific road and actually use alternate routes if that one road is too full. It also increases network capacities and commuting ranges and provides several custom networks to work with.

Also related: the Industry Quadrupler Mod, which makes it so industrial areas contain 4 times the jobs because by default the game's industrial areas take up considerably more space than either commercial or industrial zones do to provide the same amount of jobs.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    - played around with Elder Scrolls mods
    - played a couple mods for Minecraft
    - played a couple randomizers (e.g. Pokemon, Zelda)
    - used fantranslation mods on games that I wanted to play which never were released outside of their original country (e.g. Ace Attorney Investigation 2, the early Fire Emblem games, etc.)
    - even created simple graphics mods for SNES games on emulators a couple years ago

Translation mods are my favorites, sadly there aren't a lot of them that are actually 100% finished.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • ^

Also, Duke Nukem 3D Mods are pretty interesting, especially my personal favorite mod as of late: Duke Forces.

Back