• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Rainbow Connection [LGBTS Club]

Years
Oh yeah, I do understand that it's uncommon, and thus not many people have heard of it, and I don't mind that so much. It's the fact that most people I've met aren't satisfied with the "I'm not sexually or romantically attracted to people" explanation, and seem to require proof that I am what I say I am. I haven't had it nearly as bad as some aces, and definitely not as bad as gay/bi/pan individuals, I'll admit that, but even my best friend told me that I "don't get out enough" when I came out to her (she quickly apologized when I gave her "the look" and has been supportive since, but still...). A couple of other friends asked if it could be a hormonal problem, and a few just continue to treat me as though I'm completely straight. It's just kind of discouraging, you know? And it's part of why I still haven't come out to my immediate family, because I KNOW that I'll get the "you're too young to know what you want/WE MUST GET YOU TO A DOCTOR" lecture.

I bet that must be a struggle to deal with. You know, I always thought that it is not so important to come out to one's family. Maybe, you could keep it to yourself a while longer until you feel more confident in coming out.

By the way, on a small note, I used to think that I was an aromantic ace as well until I got my first boyfriend. A little bit later, I figured out that I liked girls as well so yeah... I kinda went from asexual -> heterosexual -> bisexual... who knows, what happens next? :D

Years
I bet that must be a struggle to deal with. You know, I always thought that it is not so important to come out to one's family. Maybe, you could keep it to yourself a while longer until you feel more confident in coming out.

By the way, on a small note, I used to think that I was an aromantic ace as well until I got my first boyfriend. A little bit later, I figured out that I liked girls as well so yeah... I kinda went from asexual -> heterosexual -> bisexual... who knows, what happens next? :D

It's important to me that they know at some point. They have kind of noticed that I've never had a boyfriend... But they never bring it up, except to joke about it in situations where it's really not a good time for me to tell them (like at big family gatherings). If they ever ask me about it, I'll tell them, but otherwise, I'm probably going to wait until I move out in the next year or so, just because maybe then they'll stop thinking of me as a kid. What really killed the whole coming out plan was that episode of House with the ace couple. I'd finally gotten up the courage to do it, and then I heard that House was doing an episode on it, and I figured "Okay, right after the episode, that'll be the perfect time. I can see how they react to the idea of asexuality, and if they seem cool with it, I'll tell them."

HAHA NOPE

One's asexuality is being caused by a tumour, the other's lying about it. Fantastic. Coming out will go over really well now.

I have tried to bring up the topic of asexuals casually in conversation though, just to test the waters, and sort of plant the idea in their heads. I usually just get met with a look of "seriously? sounds like bull to me." :/

Years
Today (May 17), it's International Day Against Homophobia, Biphobia and Transphobia.

In my town, most of the trams have been carrying a rainbow flag all week. That's pretty sweet.

By the way, what do you do about people who don't believe in your sexuality (in my case, it's bisexuality)? I just had someone telling me (after stating that I'm bisexual) that there is no such thing. Pretty rude, huh.

Last edited:

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
Bisexuality is generally the most common sexuality to deal with this, I think. It's because there are so many people who use bisexuality as a way to gradually phase in the idea that they're gay, and also so many ****ty 15-year-old girls who say they're bisexual so they can kiss each other to turn on boys, that people start to question whether the sexuality is legitimate at all. It's a case of some people ruining it for everybody.

It's not right, it's absolutely not OK, but I do understand why people might think that. It's just a matter of educating them, as frustrating as that might be :(

Kiriyuuki Kasuna

<b><i><font color="#979C1F">Insert Purpose of Mean
Years
I'm Bi and I feel very offended to the fact that 15 year old girls simply use the term as a means to just freaking turn on a guy, it's pure bs imo. If you wanted a guy, just get him as you are not by kissing another girl just so they'd be into you, especially for the wrong reasons--if there may be. Heck they disgrace all others who are Bisexual and are ACTUALLY into both sexes/all sexualities.

Now my venting is done, and I agree with Shining Raichu it's just simply a matter of educating no matter what the frustrations follow and no matter how density or thick-skullednesses.

btw SR, I miss your old sig lol.

Years
I wouldn't be too hard on the young girls. They may just be taking advantage of a socially acceptable way in which to experiment with their sexuality. We don't know if any of them are straight, bi, gay, or anything else. I'd rather that they did that than they stay completely heteronormative. It's like what Andy said, we have to educate the people who don't understand that there are bisexual people. They're the ones who need help.

Years
Today (May 17), it's International Day Against Homophobia, Biphobia and Transphobia.

In my town, most of the trams have been carrying a rainbow flag all week. That's pretty sweet.

By the way, what do you do about people who don't believe in your sexuality (in my case, it's bisexuality)? I just had someone telling me (after stating that I'm bisexual) that there is no such thing. Pretty rude, huh.

This happens a lot to aces too. We're told that (a) there's something medically wrong with us (b) we're just "late bloomers", or (c) it's an excuse to cover up for the fact that we can't get a date. One of the things that I've noticed has worked when logic and reason fails is, first, don't get too defensive about it. If possible - and I know it sounds mean, but hey, they're invalidating you, and that's pretty douchey - act like they're a complete moron for not believing that your sexuality exists. Give them a completely incredulous "Really? You seriously think this doesn't exist?" Be patronizing and dismissive. Act like they're the first person you've ever met who doesn't believe you. If you make it seem like you've encountered the arguments they're presenting before, then they will (usually uncounsciously) take this as evidence that there are other people who believe the same as they do, and that therefore, they are right and you are wrong.

Most people like to think they're the smartest and most knowledgeable person in the room. The more you try to argue with them, the more they're going to argue back just for the sake of winning the argument and proving themselves right (even if, through the course of the argument, they realize they're wrong). It's tricky, but often the best way to get them to come around is to make them doubt their own argument by acting as though it's so ridiculous, it isn't even worth your time to respond, rather than to actually prove them wrong. You want them to come to the conclusion that they're wrong on their own, so they don't come to resent you and cement their belief even further just out of spite.

Last edited:

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
If we're talking about friends that we see on a regular basis, I only have one straight one lol. The majority of my friends these days are made up of gay guys. Outside of them, my existing friends consisted of one bisexual girl and one straight girl lol

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
Years
My friends are a total mixture. Some are gay, some are straight and some are bi. It is all over the place when it comes to my friend's sexuality.

Years
I don't actually know for sure what some of my friends' sexualities are. One of them, I think, might be asexual (or demisexual) and another friend who once said she was bisexual I suspect might just be gay, but to be honest, it doesn't really matter to me and I'm not going to ask them if they're not going to bring it up themselves.

voltianqueen

WITH SEAWATER
Years
  • Age 30
  • TN
  • Seen Feb 9, 2018
I like to joke that "everyone I touch ends up gay." It seems to be...pretty accurate... o_o

No really though, my friends and even siblings are pretty varied when it comes to sexualities. I do have one friend in particular that I'm afraid to tell about the girl I'm talking to, though :V

Rai

Quarter Life Crisis! @.@
Years
Since we are talking about gay/straight/bi people we know, what about relatives?

My older brother is gay. I think we both got a gay gene from my dad because we have different moms but the same father.

Somniac

Probably sleeping.
Years
Most of my friends are straight, but there are like 3 bisexual ones and then I'm the only fully gay one in the group. :( I'm surrounded by half pints and nonfats (I'm whole milk)

I absolutely love that I can now no longer see people buying milk without giggling at them, thanks.
Also, fullfat is the best milk. blue/red caps can go stuff itself.

I like to joke that "everyone I touch ends up gay." It seems to be...pretty accurate... o_o

No really though, my friends and even siblings are pretty varied when it comes to sexualities. I do have one friend in particular that I'm afraid to tell about the girl I'm talking to, though :V

Weirdly enough, In my social group in highschool I was the first to come out as lesbian [or so i thought back then] then like 2 of my closest guy friends both cam out within a year. That and I was the first gay experience for 2 of my closest female friends. I swear they're just like "I wonder what being a lesbians like... hey Kitty's gay... 'Oi, Kitty come here a second..."

Since we are talking about gay/straight/bi people we know, what about relatives?

My older brother is gay. I think we both got a gay gene from my dad because we have different moms but the same father.

I have no siblings, but my girlfriend has 3 brothers. One brother is asexual, and one is gay. My GF is bi so that means only one of their children is straight. The entire family is lovely though, and I get on really well with all of them which is wonderful.

Years

One of those two friends I mentioned is actually my cousin. Or, well... my cousin's daughter. I have one other lesbian cousin, and one uncle who might be gay, or ace (he's in his 60's, never married, never had a girlfriend or showed any interest in women, but did live with another man for several years). I don't want to make any assumptions, but my mom is pretty sure he's gay.

It seems like a lot, especially considering these are all on my mom's side of the family, but isn't actually that surprising when you find out my mom came from a farming family with 11 brothers and sisters, and there are now over 100 people in the family, haha. I wouldn't be surprised if a couple more non-straight relatives popped up on her side.

FenrirDarkWolf

Water Musician Fenrir
Years
  • Seen Nov 10, 2013
Apparently my mom has a gay cousin. I suspect my sister may be asexual because she never seems to want any sort romantic relationship.

Years
My uncle on my father's side was gay. He contracted the HIV virus during the late 80s and died in 94.
I have a gay cousin on my mom's side, but he was adopted.
And, I think I have a former gay cousin on my dad's side, but I have no idea about that. My dad told me about him, but who knows?

Hi, y'all, btw :B

Her

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen today
I'm pretty sure I'm the only gay in like 300 years in my family, possibly the first gay ever. I'm so special.

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
Years
I'm not sure, but I think my mom told me that she and my sister are bi when I first came out to her. :L I'm still not sure if I heard her right. xD

My step-sister is bi. Her best friend moved in with us and now they're in a super lesbian relationship. Pfft.

My mom says that she thinks that my oldest brother on my dad's side might be gay. I've never met him, though. :|

No doubt there's more somewhere. I have family across the country, and there's a lot of them and they're all pretty accepting of that kind of stuff, so I wouldn't doubt it.

Back