• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Forum Event: Made in Galar: Shroomish and Breloom forms and evolutions!

Which Pokémon line should we Galar-fy?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Years
  • Crazy mushroom Breloom and tinder fungus cook Breloom coming along nicely, should be posted during the weekend.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • I kno the poll is closed but a regional Parasect would be interesting. I'd defineitely like to see Grass be removed because 4x weaknesses ugh, maybe new type is Normal and it shows what it would be like when cured or something?

Years
  • I'll be posting more material now, pictured again by phone, this time in black and white.

For the first time, we have the tinder fungus-based Grass/Fire cook Breloom:

cook breloom.jpg

We can see its hat has turned into a chef's cap and its neck frills tilted forward with the ones in the front extending into an apron. The apron is spotty, resembling Shroomish. The two claws on each limb have been reduced to one large, cooking knife-like one meant to evoke the tinder fungus. On the feet, they became hooves. The small round bodies present on the original's hat and tail have become long and pointy to look like spicy peppers. On the hat, they are now positioned in the front and back instead of being on the sides. On the tail, they are arranged like on a stegosaurus instead of being bundled up at the tip of the tail.

More details to follow.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Here we have some rough visual clarifications of this design:

cook breloom elaborations.jpg

In the top left corner we see Cook Breloom using its claws to cut up an Oran Berry. The claws are sharp and can be used for slashing even without firing them up.

The claws and hooves are meant to heat up and glow in fiery colours when active.

In the middle, marked 1 and 2, we see Breloom striking its claws against each other, pulling one back slightly and pushing the other forward with greater force. The idea is that it produces sparks and blasts of fire in this way, further illustrated in the bottom of the image.

This concludes the Cook Breloom part of the presentation. To remind you, this one is supposed to evolve from regular Shroomish. I'd love to hear your thoughts about it!

Years
  • Also, we have the first concept draft of the fly agaric-based Poison/Psychic hippie Breloom, the evolved form of swirly-eyed Shroomish (please excuse the low resolution):

hippie breloom.jpg

The hippie motif came from hippies using hallucinogenic mushrooms for... well. You know. It fits well with the general absent-minded, trancing state of the fly agaric-based Shroomish line.

This is a very early sketch, meant to illustrate the main points of the idea: it has thingies dangling from the rim of its hat, which is pointed like a rice hat. Also, it has wavy frills in several layers on its legs to resemble saggy hippie pants (note development from Shroomish's feet). These are meant to squeeze and expand when it hops, kind of like a harmonica, if the harmonica was placed vertically and had dresses around each expanding part. The eyes are half closed, and might end up closed entirely (perhaps Comatose?).

The tail just has to swirl, and perhaps attain bells or wind chimes. Spots arranged in a flowery pattern are a given.

And yes, it's supposed to be making a piece sign with the raised hand.

More of this idea to come soon. What do you think of this one? Which one seems better, the hippie or the cook?

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Both are really cool! Kudos there. Drawings are neat and you seem to have the designs well wrapped up... so I'll think aloud on moves and maybe help out with some additional lore/mock dex entries later (plus the Daily side of things.) [As for which is 'better', idk, but seems a shame to feature only one in an article and not the other.]

Cook one - I imagine it could get some moves that involve its blade-like fists - Leaf Blade, X-Scissor, maybe even Swords dance. Overheat and Ember seem fitting for the FIre-typing and cooking motif as well. As for Ability... Flame Body? As a Fire-typed specific version of Effect Spore, I suppose. Then there's Gluttony or Harvest for the cooking motif. That or just some unique Ability that we could try to come up with (maybe as a Hidden Ability).

Hippie motif is also neat, haha. I'd take a note from Spinda's book and suggest that Own Tempo would be a fitting Ability for it. I imagine more healing-based moves like Aromatherapy could fit, as well as Dizzy Punch. Hypnosis, maybe?

Years
  • Thanks!

As for the Abilities, I thought the hippie one could have Effect Spore/Tangled Feet or, indeed, Own Tempo, but I'd rather be able to see the birdies flying around this thing's head. It seems so natural. Maybe Comatose as a Hidden Ability - as in, its spores are so strong it puts itself to sleep (closed eyes on Breloom in that case).

I'd leave Effect Spore/Poison Heal on the cook and maybe put Flash Fire as a Hidden Ability, alluding to the tinder fungus. It definitely learns Blaze Kick, imagine the burning hooves.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Thanks!

As for the Abilities, I thought the hippie one could have Effect Spore/Tangled Feet or, indeed, Own Tempo, but I'd rather be able to see the birdies flying around this thing's head. It seems so natural. Maybe Comatose as a Hidden Ability - as in, its spores are so strong it puts itself to sleep (closed eyes on Breloom in that case).

I'd leave Effect Spore/Poison Heal on the cook and maybe put Flash Fire as a Hidden Ability, alluding to the tinder fungus. It definitely learns Blaze Kick, imagine the burning hooves.
    I feel the half-open eyes fit the hippie theme better, and being asleep somewhat confuses the picture. It could have a mixture of the other Abilities and an original one for a Hidden Ability that somehow allows for Confusion to be a benefit to it, or something...

Flash Fire makes sense, as does Blaze Kick, for the cook one.

Years
  • I'll shortly digress from Breloom to talk about the future of this project.

First, someone thought of a great idea for a Cheshire Glameow over at Pokémon General: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=425474. That would be great for this section if the author decides to take part, so I guess we have our second entry.

Secondly, for our third entry, I would like to suggest regular, unassuming yet beautiful fish Pokémon. I have come up with some really cool concepts for the Goldeen and Finneon lines. Generally, Goldeen learns punching moves without arms and Finneon becomes a literal butterfly fish.

More on them when I'm done with my two Breloom. Completed hippie Breloom coming soon.

Years
  • I present the full design candidate for Hippie Breloom:

hippie breloom (1).jpg

The main colours are supposed to be red and white with purple or blue features, especially on the leg frills. Notice the jingle bells on the top of the tail and characteristic stretchy arms with layered "sleeves" with flowery endings, with spread claws for a piece sign glowing with psychic power. There are frills dangling from the edge of the hat, which is now pointed. Eyes half closed, supernaturally blue, with an absent-minded smile. Frilly pants in 3 layers, possibly differently coloured, now cover the legs.

Since there were generally too many frills on this design, I removed the ones around the neck.

Spots arranged in flowery patterns on the chest and tail. The tail was meant to be white with red spots and the body red with white spots, like the hat. The spots glow blue if they're white and purple if they're red.

From a gameplay point of view, I envisioned this Breloom to be specially oriented, either an attacker or a supporter. This thing definitely has Spore and Dream Eater and Toxic and Venoshock and Teeter Dance or some analogue of it, and maybe some more tricky things we make up for it. Perhaps a confusion-based Pokémon, with confusion-benefiting new move and ability?

Thoughts, please!

Last edited:
    Years
  • Now the designs are mostly done, I've thought about moves and abilities.

I suggest the following signature Ability for Cook Breloom:

Gourment Treatment:
    All effects of Berries consumed by self and allies are doubled, if applicable.

As in, a Lum or Pecha Berry is unaffected, but an Oran or Sitrus Berry heals twice as much, type Berries like Occa or Rindo quarter the super-effective damage instead of halving it, and stat boosting Berries boost twice as much as they should. Also, Natural Gift's power is doubled, since it consumes Berries specifically.

The idea was, aside from totally fitting with the cook motif, to really give Berries a chance to shine. They're already very useful in battle, but I never thought of them as powerful per se.

I can see this have monstrous results when paired with Harvest and Gluttony.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I like that Ability idea for Cook Breloom.

As for the newer design for the hippie one, less frills now does seem better. A specially orientated one is interesting... I suppose we've seen that with e.g. Alolan Persian. A confusion benefitting more or Ability... maybe something like gaining a stat-boost when confused, and it can't hurt itself in confusion?

Years
  • My thoughts exactly. Either a random boost every turn, a specific one like Speed, or a completely different confusion-based ability, like a chance to cause confusion with all damaging moves?

Last edited:

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
    Years
  • I know the Breloom is fairly advanced already but I was wondering if this angle was ever considered: very spruce and awesomely designed kangaroo boxer FROM SPACE from the UK right? Why not Dudley?

SFVDudley.jpg

Frankly I feel there's a lot of awesome to draw from this right here. Not that I don't like the current ideas at all, like say fly agaric Breloom has a lot of good vibe going to it if a bit EU-ish that draws a curly smile given the current Brexit-Dexit political scope.

Keep going! I want to see the best Breloom ever.

Years
  • I know the Breloom is fairly advanced already but I was wondering if this angle was ever considered: very spruce and awesomely designed kangaroo boxer FROM SPACE from the UK right? Why not Dudley?

SFVDudley.jpg

Frankly I feel there's a lot of awesome to draw from this right here. Not that I don't like the current ideas at all, like say fly agaric Breloom has a lot of good vibe going to it if a bit EU-ish that draws a curly smile given the current Brexit-Dexit political scope.

Keep going! I want to see the best Breloom ever.
    I'm sorry, I didn't understand the bit about fly agaric Breloom having an "EU-ish (vibe) that draws a curly smile given the current Brexit-Dexit political scope", at all. And I'm in the EU (far on the edge, but still). What is that about? It was supposed to be a psychedelic hippie high on crazy mushrooms.

Also, if you have another idea for a Breloom form, go ahead and work on it. I'd be more than happy to see other's ideas here too. Unfortunately I don't follow Street Fighter at all and your reference was so lost on me I had to google to see what it was. Glad you like the ideas so far!

Last edited:

CiCi

[font=Satisfy]Obsession: Watanuki Kimihiro and Izu
    Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    Decided to participate and make my own Shroomish and Breloom for Galar! I based them off of mushrooms you can find in the UK and gave them a unique type combination. Hope you guys like it! :)

Shrromish and Breloom Galar with info.png

Years
  • Interesting! Always glad to see unusual types. Is that a velociraptor influence I see in Breloom? Could you elaborate on your design?

You have an error in your Breloom's stats though, their total is 465 while Breloom usually has 460.

Also, what kind of fungus did you base your Shroomish on? It looks familiar, but I can't remember its name.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Cook Breloom is getting a Gigantamax form, I just now had the idea.

I imagined it taking its chef hat off and using it as a cauldron of hot oil or a bazooka, while the top of its head stays covered in cafeteria lady-style hairnet leftovers of the hat. Flames go out of its nostrils to resemble stereotypical French chef mustaches. It holds the hat on its back over the tip of its tail, on which the spikes are burning like a stove.

The G-Max Move this form requires could be a transformation of its Fire-type moves into launching fireballs or pouring lava from the hat and either burning all foes or destroying their items.

Last edited:

CiCi

[font=Satisfy]Obsession: Watanuki Kimihiro and Izu
    Years
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    Interesting! Always glad to see unusual types. Is that a velociraptor influence I see in Breloom? Could you elaborate on your design?

You have an error in your Breloom's stats though, their total is 465 while Breloom usually has 460.

Also, what kind of fungus did you base your Shroomish on? It look familiar, but I can't remember its name.

Thank you! There is some dino influence in Breloom's shape so I made it a little more obvious. I definitely get a raptor sort of vibe from it, which is why in the Dex entry one of them states that they work in packs. That's also the reason for the disparage between Brelooms as I gave mine an extra 5 points in Speed to go along with that pack mentality. I probably could've taken 5 points from the Defense realistically, but meh, whatever, I cheated. xP I think the spots all along Breloom helps make it seem more dino-like; it looked plain and boring without them and I enjoyed the sickly sort of look the spots gave it.

As for the fungi influences here, Shroomish is based off of the Collared Earthstar, Geastrum triplex, and though you didn't ask I'll clarify for everyone else as well that Breloom is based off of the Coral Tooth, Hericium, which is edible but I still made it poisonous in the PokéVerse anyway. Screw the poh-leece.

Thank you for checking them out! ♥ Much appreciation!

---

From a gameplay point of view, I envisioned this Breoom to be specially oriented, either an attacker or a supporter. This thing definitely has Spore and Dream Eater and Toxic and Venoshock and Teeter Dance or some analogue of it, and maybe some more tricky things we make up for it. Perhaps a confusion-based Pokémon, with confusion-benefiting new move and ability?

Thoughts, please!

Given the rest of the info, with Chef Breloom and all, I can see yours being more of a support. Plus, hippies are usually pacifistic in some way or believe in 'peace and love' and all, so I think that makes more sense than it being an attacker. Not to say it can't have a decent special attack stat, but giving it support moves and decent defense makes more sense imo.

I also love the idea of Chef Breloom btw. That's adorable and I can just see it stirring the curry pot in SwSh xD ♥ Cutie

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Cook Breloom is getting a Gigantamax form, I just now had the idea.

I imagined it taking its chef hat off and using it as a cauldron of hot oil or a bazooka, while the top of its head stays covered in cafeteria lady-style hairnet leftovers of the hat. Flames go out of its nostrils to resemble stereotypical French chef mustaches. It holds the hat on its back over the tip of its tail, on which the spikes are burning like a stove.

The G-Max Move this form requires could be a transformation of its Fire-type moves into launching fireballs or pouring lava from the hat and either burning all foes or destroying their items.
    Gigantamax form sounds pretty fitting to me for the chef theme. I like that it keeps covering its head as well. I favour the 'destroys all items' effect personally.

Thank you! There is some dino influence in Breloom's shape so I made it a little more obvious. I definitely get a raptor sort of vibe from it, which is why in the Dex entry one of them states that they work in packs. That's also the reason for the disparage between Brelooms as I gave mine an extra 5 points in Speed to go along with that pack mentality. I probably could've taken 5 points from the Defense realistically, but meh, whatever, I cheated. xP I think the spots all along Breloom helps make it seem more dino-like; it looked plain and boring without them and I enjoyed the sickly sort of look the spots gave it.

As for the fungi influences here, Shroomish is based off of the Collared Earthstar, Geastrum triplex, and though you didn't ask I'll clarify for everyone else as well that Breloom is based off of the Coral Tooth, Hericium, which is edible but I still made it poisonous in the PokéVerse anyway. Screw the poh-leece.

Thank you for checking them out! ♥ Much appreciation!
    Cheers for sharing those details - they'd be neat to include as addiitonal lore and info in the article form.

I quite like the designs as well, and points for using a fungi found in the UK as well! If those images were to be used and can be edited further, I would request a maybe less cursive font, just to make sure it's easier for people to read who might struggle with it.
    Given the rest of the info, with Chef Breloom and all, I can see yours being more of a support. Plus, hippies are usually pacifistic in some way or believe in 'peace and love' and all, so I think that makes more sense than it being an attacker. Not to say it can't have a decent special attack stat, but giving it support moves and decent defense makes more sense imo.

I also love the idea of Chef Breloom btw. That's adorable and I can just see it stirring the curry pot in SwSh xD ♥ Cutie
    Agreed here with more support for the hippie Breloom.

--------------

Should we try to aim for a rough date for wrapping up designs, etc. and turning it into a PC Daily article, before moving to the next Pokemon? Any specific input or help wanted from you guys?

Back