• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Kill frilly post formatting with a simple option!

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
Years
  • THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!! :cer_boogie:

Woo-hoo! Seriously, I want to hug whoever completed this fantastic idea! The slight issue I have with it is that it affects the user's own posts, too (i.e., my own posts lack boldfaced formatting, in addition to everyone else's). If it was possible to make it so that choosing the "disable" option didn't affect the posts of the user, then this feature would be perfect.

*uses PokeCommunity express credit card*
    payment of $0.00
    payment of $0.00
    payment of $0.00
    payment of $0.00
    payment of $0.00
    payment of $0.00
    payment of $0.00
    payment of $0.00
    payment of $0.00
    payment of $0.00
    payment of $0.00
    payment of $0.00

Transaction Completed
    Total Payment: $0.00

So I can have that Member Zapper now, right, Hiroshi Sotomura? :D

(Btw, if you see no formatting in this post, that means the feature is working!!!) :cer_boogie:

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I wish it was only for specific things such as bright pink, size 7 font, etc but this will do for now.

This, I like seeing my own font, which has no color change to kill people's eyes, and I like seeing other basic-looking fonts, it's the colors that get me. But while I won't be using this function for that reason, now no one who hates the colors/sizes/fonts won't be able to complain and will have their problem resolved, so...yay. :)

Years
  • I wish it was only for specific things such as bright pink, size 7 font, etc but this will do for now.

I have to agree with that.

The format-killer ruins the flavour in some threads,and i'm mostly talking about forum-rule threads that have headers, bold colours and all of that.

Years
  • THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!! :cer_boogie:

Woo-hoo! Seriously, I want to hug whoever completed this fantastic idea! The slight issue I have with it is that it affects the user's own posts, too (i.e., my own posts lack boldfaced formatting, in addition to everyone else's). If it was possible to make it so that choosing the "disable" option didn't affect the posts of the user, then this feature would be perfect.

*uses PokeCommunity express credit card*
    payment of $0.00
    payment of $0.00
    payment of $0.00
    payment of $0.00
    payment of $0.00
    payment of $0.00
    payment of $0.00
    payment of $0.00
    payment of $0.00
    payment of $0.00
    payment of $0.00
    payment of $0.00

Transaction Completed
    Total Payment: $0.00

So I can have that Member Zapper now, right, Hiroshi Sotomura? :D

(Btw, if you see no formatting in this post, that means the feature is working!!!) :cer_boogie:

Ho ho ho, the irony.

Anyhow, thanks for this feature, Sotomura. I'll be sure to try it out.

Taemin

move.
    Years
    • he / they
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    Despite my posting green for a few days (manually, hohoho), I love that this feature will finally work the way it should. xD But does it kill off manual formatting, or just formatting that's auto-formatted through the Options page?

I'm one of those people who don't mind seeing the way that people format their posts, but.. I dunno. I might still disable formatting, if only to actually be able to red posts that are in black, or dark purple, etc. Those kill on the dark layouts I use.

Years
  • Fantastic. This doesn't eliminate ALL formatting, though, does it? Just the autoformatted posts.

Now if only there was a way to turn it off for specific people, or specific profiles, or just to remove Comic Sans from the system altogether...

Years
    • Age 37
    • Online now
    Thank you.

There were a lot of posts that I couldn't read due to either color or size. (Yes, some people do find tiny fonts difficult to read.) I've always wanted this option, ever since the ability to autoformat posts was introduced.

Once again, thank you.

Morgnarok

PokéCommunity Supporter - Platinum Tier
    Years
  • Great, Gonna be a shame that people will no longer see my green text thou if they block it.

Power to the Torterra xD

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • Words can't describe my happiness... well, I guess I describe it pretty well in your quote, actually.

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • *sigh*

This is a re-rollout of the same feature we had, and broke somehow before.

For this feature to be truly effective it needs either a granular ability to choose which formatting you want to ignore or ONLY IGNORE Auto-formatted posts which could possibly be marked with some special formatting tags which do the same as the originals, but are ignored by this feature. something like [autocolor], [autosize] would do fine.

OR we could just put in some checkboxes, check the formats you'd like to disable. Don't like color? Check Disable Color formatting. Hate small fonts? Check "ignore sizes less than <dropdown box>" Cant stand people who always type in bold? Check "Ignore global bold/italic/underline" (this ignores the first pair of [b]/[i]/[u] tags only if they surround all of the post content after stripping formatting tags)

As far as I can tell, it just disables [color],[b],[i],[u] and [size]. I don't mind the formatting in general, I just wish there were a way to either add specific tags to format, specify only ignoring autoformatting or ignoring only abused tags anyway.

I see this is still marked beta though...so I'm hoping you guys are working on making it break less things, or people will be put off from using it, even if it is useful, post formatting when used properly, is quite essential to get things across sometimes and I wouldn't disable it myself just because I thought one person cant use it right. Of course this setting CAN be worked around and ignored by the poster, but to save people's eyes I won't tell how here. I haven't tested it out myself personally either so who knows. They may figure it out and fix it before I do. ;)

Thomas

HAIL HYDRA!
    Years
  • Amazingness! Finally, thank you so much! This wouldn't be a huge issue if some members didn't abuse this, but the do so...yeah..thanks xD

s0nido

turn up the engine
    Years
  • I thought we already had an option like this. :O Probably got upgraded or something. I won't be using it any time soon, but thanks anyway. :D

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • ...Perhaps if we had an [autoformat] tag which wraps around the opening tags of the auto-inserted color/font/size tags generated from user preference...

Sort of like a conditional NOPARSE+CSS HIDE/override thing?

Might be nifty if you could also set a font color/size override...and pick a specific readable font color/size.

Lily

◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.
    Years
  • Great feature. You don't need bold/italic/underline to understand the content of the post. Sure, embellishments can accentuate points, but the meaning is still there, and that in itself is effective IMO. If your post really needs bold/italics/underline/color to make sense, then I'm a little wary of the post in the first place.

colcolstyles

Yours truly
    Years
  • It's great that this has finally been implemented but... well, does it have to disable bold and italic text? I use italics all the time for emphasis and I don't think it's that annoying (<– stuff like that). It's mainly the color & font tags that irritate me.

Eh, if I'm outnumbered I'll shut up but that's just my opinion.

Azure Revolver

HONK HONK
    Years
  • It's great that this has finally been implemented but... well, does it have to disable bold and italic text? I use italics all the time for emphasis and I don't think it's that annoying (<– stuff like that). It's mainly the color & font tags that irritate me.

Eh, if I'm outnumbered I'll shut up but that's just my opinion.
    I actually quite agree here. Make it so that it restricts only color, size, font, etc. but not bold or italicized.

Back