• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokemon RedChal

Trev

[span="font-size: 8px; color: white;"][font="Monts
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 15, 2023
-

Introduction

Learn about me, my experience, and what to expect!

Hey there! Thanks for clicking on my hack! My name is Trev, and I've been an on-and-off hacker for about 6 years now. I left Pokecommunity for a few years and came back to a far more active and documented hacking community than I left behind. Inspired by a lot of the amazing work that's been done by the various members of our community, I decided to create the FireRed enhancement hack that I wanted to make many, many times before. Fortunately, the amount of tools and research available has made my dream become fully realized, resulting in RedChal!

I wanted to make RedChal a little different than most challenge hacks. Usually, challenge hacks go the route of piling in as many Pokemon as they can, fully updating them to their current generation stats, moves, abilities, etc., and then just adding more Pokemon/levels/etc. to make the Trainers more difficult. Sure, that can be fun, but a fully customized experience is a lot more fun than that! So, I decided that I would overhaul a lot of the boring Pokemon in the game and breathe some new life into them, and then vary up the various Trainers to make them feel more like Trainers and less like cannon fodder for an overpowered team. To really put a challenge on myself, I also restricted myself to using only the original 151, their cross-generational evolutions, and the Sevii Island Pokemon. I believe that, through strategic use of Pokemon placement, I can create a diverse experience without overloading the player with all 386+ Pokemon that are available, giving them a refined experience that is still enjoyable and challenging.

I didn't want to completely overload the game with features either. While the current games have many interesting features and we have the ability to replicate a lot of them, I prefer the old catch-grind-battle core that makes the Pokemon games so much fun. Nothing beats going up against powerful trainers with your team and engaging in a difficult, challenging battle that gives a sense of relief upon victory. I hope I manage to capture this fun experience in my hack, and I hope you enjoy RedChal!​

Features

Get a little taste of the immense fun you're gonna have!

220 Pokemon are catchable and have been redistributed throughout Kanto.
Numerous Pokemon edits and overhauls. Try out previously-ignored Pokemon!
New moves, typing, and stats for previously-lame Pokemon.
Revamped moves and custom moves galore. Fight back in new, exciting ways!
Additional evolutions from later games, including the entire Eevee line.
Fully-functional Fairy-type. Bringing the Gen VI to Gen III!
All stats rounded to 0, with no stats below 20.
More challenging battles throughout the entire game!
Unique Rival teams based on starter choice!
Diverse Gym Leader teams based on Dual-typing.
Improved Trainer AI, stronger teams, and item usage.
Challenging Elite Four Teams based on themes.
Rocket Grunts have actual teams and Giovanni uses more than 3 Pokemon.
Various ease-of-life edits. Feels like a whole new FireRed!
Early-game time-wasting events are gone. Get to the action sooner!
Enhanced turbo mode. Speed through the grinding and get to the fun!
All evolutions are either level-up or item-based.
Functional map edits to enhance visuality and playability.
Gen VI EXP system, with EXP gain after catches!
All battle participants gain full EXP!
Poison vanishes at 1 HP in the overworld.
Rare Candy shop in every Pokemon Center. Get those levels!
Vending machines in every Pokemart. Stock up and gulp down!
Reusable TMs. Teach Hyper Beam as many times as you want!
Forgettable HMs. Don't worry about wasting a move slot!
Reusable Move Tutors. Teach Mega Punch over and over!
Linear progression, allowing for a steadier level curve.
Updated Pokemon sprites. Battling in high-quality!
No more location images. We don't need an introduction to Viridian Forest!
Travelling Nurse Joys, delivering healing where you need it the most!
Travel to a completely-edited Sevii Islands!
Beautifully formatted, comprehensive documentation!
Community suggestions! Tell me what you want to see!

Screenshots

Feast your eyes on the awesome changes in the game!

Q6fKjIJ.png
He6e3qg.png
75IOlId.png
EcmKxaj.png
fx7dq4X.png
44emLXM.png
A9M3irC.png
9Veb5g6.png
PLKsJMX.png
xWcPb2J.png
8oGgCAo.png
4gSsA5z.png
QchH2M7.png
yx0X2OC.png
k6dhW0h.png
PCzlgCa.png
q72BzCt.png
KqViLxP.png
JvYlY9m.png
iBKaDzq.png
QPMDyia.png
bWhjlFp.png
9wH52vs.png
hoEKH6u.png
oQwsGqn.png
HnXpsSi.png
7POv3Vb.png
MfA3lIE.png
YwUHwaH.png
4cY4bp6.png
NcRTlze.png
Ajnr2np.png
bMsocw1.png
shj51C9.png
ar9ZNkE.png
P7C0uph.png

Progress

Watch the progress bars go up as I hack more and more!

[progress=65]Feature Implementation:[/progress]
[progress=15]Battle Edits:[/progress]
[progress=35]Pokemon Edits:[/progress]
[progress=15]Event Edits:[/progress]
[progress=85]Bug Testing:[/progress]
Documentation:​
[progress=5][/progress]

Bugs

Nobody likes them, but they're inevitable, aren't they?

It's possible to encounter a softlock when using the turbo function on the bottom half of Route 2.​

Download

Hop right in and start playing! Get your RedChal on!

There aren't any downloads at the moment! I plan to release an alpha once I have completely finished editing Vermilion City. I have no set release date for this alpha or the full version.​

Suggestions

1.) Suggest. 2.) Get Implemented. 3.) ????? 4.) Credit!

I mentioned in the Features section that I will allow community suggestions. That isn't a pipe dream - it's gonna happen! I want to hear from every person who looks at or plays my hack, and I want them to tell me what they think the hack needs! I firmly believe that, in order to make something great, you have to listen to the people who are going to be using that something.

In order to prevent the thread from becoming a cluttered mess, I have whipped up the following CSS copypastable that is required when making a suggestion. Just fill out the fields and add it to your post, and I'll look at it and consider each suggestion using the post below. The CSS is mandatory if you want your suggestion to be considered (I use the CSS to quickly C/P the suggestion into the post below - be my friend and help me here! :D)

Spoiler: Suggestion CSS

Your Username

Suggestion: Your suggestion, in as few words as possible.
Description: A full description of your suggestion and what the outcome will be (optional but useful).
Relevant Area: Use one of the following: "Scripting" "Mapping" "Graphics" "Hex & ASM Editing" "Other"
Related Research/Method: Mandatory for Hex & ASM Editing suggestions, useful for other types. Use tag.[/justify][/div] Copy/Paste V...[/icon][/b][/span] Trev[/SIZE][/div][/CENTER]​

Last edited:
Years
  • Seen Apr 17, 2020
This post looks really slick, and I like the way you try to take a new route instead of just doing whatever all other sideshow showcases are doing, gives a motivation to play this game instead of others. I'll definitely be checking this out once progress is a little further and an alpha is released :)

Splash

But nothing happened.
Years
First of all this post looks really cool. Second I like the QoL changes you're implementing. I hope you finish this hack! :)
Also if you'd like some help with testing and stuff I'm mostly free right now.

Trev

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 15, 2023
-

Suggestions

Will your suggestions end up RedChal?

Weekly Responses

NewDenverCity

Suggestion: Purchase multiple drinks from vending machines.
Description: N/A
Relevant Area: Scripting
Related Research/Method: N/A​

BluRose

Suggestion: Give Trainer Pokémon EVs.
Description: Well, I'm assuming you know what EVs are, so I'll just state the benefit(s): Modify the Trainers' Pokémon's stats at your practical will. While adding so much EVs won't actually be really beneficial until about level 25 (where 16 EVs contribute 1 more stat point), it's something that especially becomes crucial lategame, where you're facing like a level 50 with stats of (base + 31). Even for many competitive Pokémon, this is a huge boost, often contributing upwards of 1/5 of the previous total to the new stat total. Not to mention, the implementation linked allows for editing of natures, and--my personal favorite--editing the type of Poké Ball the Pokémon comes out in!
Relevant Area: Hex/ASM Editing
Related Research/Method: DoesntKnowHowToPlay's implementation

Roger Davis

Suggestion: Gym Leader Rematches
Description: Something akin to the Saffron Dojo in HG/SS, although without all the tedious side questing to unlock the rematches. Perhaps the building in Vermilion that was never finished in any of the official games? Unless you had plans for that already. It'd provide an alternative to rematching the Elite 4 for post-game training and such.
Relevant Area: Scripting.​

Accepted Suggestions

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Trev

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 15, 2023
This post looks really slick, and I like the way you try to take a new route instead of just doing whatever all other sideshow showcases are doing, gives a motivation to play this game instead of others. I'll definitely be checking this out once progress is a little further and an alpha is released :)

Thank you so much!

First of all this post looks really cool. Second I like the QoL changes you're implementing. I hope you finish this hack! :)
Also if you'd like some help with testing and stuff I'm mostly free right now.

Thank you! I think I'll be covered for testing, and there's nothing at the moment that I can't test myself,

with vending machines in pokemarts can we please choose to buy more than one drink at a time?

Yes, I can do something like that. Also in the future don't break my rules boi :v

Trev

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 15, 2023
So the Pokedex is basically Kanto/Johto plus mons like Sylveon and Gliscor?

The Dex includes all Gen I Pokemon, all Gen II Pokemon available on Sevii Islands, and all cross-generation Evolutions. My criteria for a Pokemon being in the game is: "Is this Pokemon obtainable in FireRed/LeafGreen without having to trade, and/or is it related to one that meets those criteria?" Gligar is only available in FRLG by trade, so, no, Gligar and Gliscor are not in the game, and not every Johto Pokemon is obtainable either.

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
Years
  • Seen Jan 18, 2017
The Dex includes all Gen I Pokemon, all Gen II Pokemon available on Sevii Islands, and all cross-generation Evolutions. My criteria for a Pokemon being in the game is: "Is this Pokemon obtainable in FireRed/LeafGreen without having to trade, and/or is it related to one that meets those criteria?" Gligar is only available in FRLG by trade, so, no, Gligar and Gliscor are not in the game, and not every Johto Pokemon is obtainable either.
How about Pokemon from the Altering Cave? Mareep, Aipom, Pineco, Shuckle, Teddiursa, Houndour, Stantler, and Smeargle? Will they be catchable here? And how about Pokemon that are used by trainers on the Sevii Islands, like Chinchou and Girafarig?

Trev

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 15, 2023
How about Pokemon from the Altering Cave? Mareep, Aipom, Pineco, Shuckle, Teddiursa, Houndour, Stantler, and Smeargle? Will they be catchable here? And how about Pokemon that are used by trainers on the Sevii Islands, like Chinchou and Girafarig?

I... was unaware of Altering Cave. :v Thank you for bringing that to my attention. As for Pokemon used by trainers, no, I won't be using those, as they aren't catchable, only tradeable.

EDIT: So, I looked at the Bulbapedia page for Altering Cave, and it turns out those Pokemon were never officially released, as there was no event that ever utilized Altering Cave's additional Pokemon. Therefore, while those Pokemon in Altering Cave do appear in-game, they are not catchable, and I won't be adding them to the game.

Last edited:

Forbidden1

csgo
Years
  • Seen Feb 6, 2020
finally something unique. cant wait for the finished product of the hack, this seems like one of the few hacks that makes me want to play pokemon again. good luck trev.

Trev

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 15, 2023
finally something unique. cant wait for the finished product of the hack, this seems like one of the few hacks that makes me want to play pokemon again. good luck trev.

Thank you!

---

So, some news! I decided to finally do some graphical edits.

aHDiMZI.png
GX5IoAy.png

The backsprites for the Male and Female Protagonists are courtesy of the public sprites from INNERMOBIUS and the Trainer sprites are courtesy of the 64x64 Trainer Sprite Resource (which has been out commission for ages). I will be attempting to resize nearly all HGSS sprites to insert into the game to update the graphics a bit (rival notwithstanding).

Last edited:

BluRose

blu rass
Years
wow this looks flashy, i'll even type properly for this <3

BluRose

Suggestion: Give Trainer Pokémon EVs.
Description: Well, I'm assuming you know what EVs are, so I'll just state the benefit(s): Modify the Trainers' Pokémon's stats at your practical will. While adding so much EVs won't actually be really beneficial until about level 25 (where 16 EVs contribute 1 more stat point), it's something that especially becomes crucial lategame, where you're facing like a level 50 with stats of (base + 31). Even for many competitive Pokémon, this is a huge boost, often contributing upwards of 1/5 of the previous total to the new stat total. Not to mention, the implementation linked allows for editing of natures, and--my personal favorite--editing the type of Poké Ball the Pokémon comes out in!
Relevant Area: Hex/ASM Editing
Related Research/Method: DoesntKnowHowToPlay's implementation
nice graphical edits btw! good luck overall!

Roger Davis

Goofball
Years
I really adore Kanto hacks and look forward to seeing what comes of this!

What I would personally love to see is gym leader rematches. It always disappointed me that it wasn't implemented in the Kanto region until HGSS. So lesse if I can put it in the proper format for ya...

Roger Davis

Suggestion: Gym Leader Rematches
Description: Something akin to the Saffron Dojo in HG/SS, although without all the tedious side questing to unlock the rematches. Perhaps the building in Vermilion that was never finished in any of the official games? Unless you had plans for that already. It'd provide an alternative to rematching the Elite 4 for post-game training and such.
Relevant Area: Scripting.

Hopefully that's done right. I would provide related research, but I don't have any idea on what other hacks have tried that.

Trev

Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Nov 15, 2023
Woooooo, small update time!

RedChal.png

Today, I begin insertion of battle backgrounds! So far, I only have this one, but I have the resources to do every single battle background. Thanks to hashtag and the Community ROM Hack for their permission to use the backgrounds, which I will be utilizing in my hack.

Last edited:
Back