• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tips for building a good/rare collection

Years
I'm looking at the trade shops on these forums and I'm seeing all these shops with tons of shinies, rareballs, egg moves, and hidden abilities. Is there a convenient way to collect a lot of these rare pokemon or should i just try roughing it and/or spamming wonder trade?

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
A lot of people just have been at it long enough to build up a collection of valuable things.

I'm sure that the people of the Trade Corner would be willing to help you get started. From there on out, ya just keep breeding and trading until you've amassed your own stock of good stuff.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
Find one thing that's valuable that you can obtain and trade up from there.

When I was 12 years old I traded away a Ranger Manaphy for one shiny, and from there I kept trading until I got about 4-5 boxes of shinies and 3 boxes of events. In most communities cloning is allowed, so with each trade you make you get 1 more mon in your collection (you aren't swapping one out for another).

Nowadays people are more picky about what they value, since a random shiny isn't the rarest thing in the world now, but the principle is still the same. You just have to find something you can do and work your way to what you want. I know a few people who would trade shinies for Pokemon bred in specific Pokeballs (shiny for nonshiny), so you just have to find people who are like that.

Alternatively, you can learn methods to get the rare Pokemon you want yourself. Gen 4 and 5 RNG is not that hard, doesn't require any external devices, and there are plenty of guides and people available to help you, and from learning this you can get any Pokemon in HGSS/BW/B2W2 shiny and with any IVs you want. It is also possible to reliably and legitimately hatch shiny Pokemon in Sun and Moon, and it's even easier if you have access to a hacked 3DS.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 24, 2022
AR, powersaves, pokehex, etc ...
I might be speaking out line here but whenever I see people with a huge amount of what you call "rare" collection, that is the first thing that pops to mind, not: "oh, they probably spent a lot of time getting those".

Tho I gotta say, I do have a love ball, Gardevoir with telepathy ... which kind of became useless after mega evolution cuz now she's my mega and telepathy is kind of wasted on that. Still nice to have XD

Mikazuki

"Someday, I will..."
Years
^ salty, there are people who have been on this forum for years. Who've worked with the trade community here and on other forums not only for their own gain but to increase the availability to others. Just because people have large quantities of valuable things that you don't doesn't mean they cheated to get them. Sometimes they just work harder and smarter.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
AR, powersaves, pokehex, etc ...
I might be speaking out line here but whenever I see people with a huge amount of what you call "rare" collection, that is the first thing that pops to mind, not: "oh, they probably spent a lot of time getting those".

Tho I gotta say, I do have a love ball, Gardevoir with telepathy ... which kind of became useless after mega evolution cuz now she's my mega and telepathy is kind of wasted on that. Still nice to have XD

Like I said in my other post, gen 4-5 RNG is actually not that hard at all. If you tried instead of assuming you could have a large 6IV shiny collection too. Plus once you set up gen 7 egg RNG it can take minutes to get what you want, including shinies.

In 2008, maybe it was alright to assume, but it's soo easy to get this stuff now.

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 24, 2022
Like I said in my other post, gen 4-5 RNG is actually not that hard at all. If you tried instead of assuming you could have a large 6IV shiny collection too. Plus once you set up gen 7 egg RNG it can take minutes to get what you want, including shinies.

In 2008, maybe it was alright to assume, but it's soo easy to get this stuff now.

Tbh I gave away a lot of shinies I got, deleted the rest I still had transferred along to my SuMo and replaced those by normals. Shinies I encounter now I either run or beat them.
I honestly don't like shinies. Getting 6IV's is easy, yes. But still shinies aren't something that just falls in your lap, yeah, it's a bit easier to get them but if I go into a random battle online and every single thing I see is shiny .... I think assuming is the correct thing to do. Not to forget the amount of competitive players, tournament goers who have openly shared the fact that they hack their pok?mon in, that they "do not have time to breed/soft reset to get their wanted pok?mon".

^ salty, there are people who have been on this forum for years. Who've worked with the trade community here and on other forums not only for their own gain but to increase the availability to others. Just because people have large quantities of valuable things that you don't doesn't mean they cheated to get them. Sometimes they just work harder and smarter.

Didn't even see this comment before that was aimed at me ...
I'm not salty, I'd say more annoyed ...
Tbh the title itself spoke to me cuz I had no idea what the OP meant with "rare collection" (in-game at least). I play the game for fun and never really stood still by collecting "rare" pok?mon.
I gave away any shinies I got cuz I don't like them, as said before, I deleted the few that remained and got transferred through to my moon. My "collection" or should I say my pokedex comes from quite a few games away and the only thing I care about (in most cases) is that all of the pok?mon I own have my OT.
I've been using the same name, the name I use on here, ever since my first game which was blue.
Some of my pok?mon even come or should I say came from my first game, transferred through a whole process of my games, friends games, different gameboy/ds systems and eventually transporter and pokebank.
I own every single pok?mon and all pok?mon I want perfect are bred perfectly.
There's nothing for me to be salty about, I'm just saying it how I see it. And I think if you were in my shoes you'd say the same ... the amount of impossible things I've seen while battling randos online is insane.
From impossible moves, abilities, etc on pok?mon, up until the latest game SuMo where people are using multiple Z moves.

Last edited by a moderator:

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
Tbh I gave away a lot of shinies I got, deleted the rest I still had transferred along to my SuMo and replaced those by normals. Shinies I encounter now I either run or beat them.
I honestly don't like shinies. Getting 6IV's is easy, yes. But still shinies aren't something that just falls in your lap, yeah, it's a bit easier to get them but if I go into a random battle online and every single thing I see is shiny .... I think assuming is the correct thing to do. Not to forget the amount of competitive players, tournament goers who have openly shared the fact that they hack their pok?mon in, that they "do not have time to breed/soft reset to get their wanted pok?mon".

I apologize if my post came off as mean, I didn't mean to! But I think the trade shop community is way different than the random battling/twitter competitive players. Most people wouldn't trade something they didn't obtain legitimately (though PC, serebii, and mariland allows random shinies without a known origin to be traded... so I guess idk haha).

But you do bring up a good point with the random players and of course the twitter people. I honestly don't play on Battle Spot often so I didn't even think of it!

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jan 24, 2022
I apologize if my post came off as mean, I didn't mean to! But I think the trade shop community is way different than the random battling/twitter competitive players. Most people wouldn't trade something they didn't obtain legitimately (though PC, serebii, and mariland allows random shinies without a known origin to be traded... so I guess idk haha).

But you do bring up a good point with the random players and of course the twitter people. I honestly don't play on Battle Spot often so I didn't even think of it!

Let's be honest, my post didn't come over that well either.
Thing is that my experience with randoms online hasn't been that great.
I've come across a lot of things, some things obviously impossible and while these are sometimes funny, it's still annoying. The legit checks changed a lot over the years but even so I've come across people that had pok?mon with only Z-moves, without even holding a Z-stone >.>
I wasn't talking about people on here, I assume that people here who are looking for specific pok?mon and willing to trade their own for it are most likely legit players ... considering they're looking for something.

Denrew

Pokémon Fan
Years
I started collecting for event Pok?mon last year, the same year in which I just started playing
Pok?mon after how many years of being inactive (I believe my last game was Gold and Silver
then the rest were just emulators just to satisfy my crave to play other gens). Like what Nah
said, there are people from Trade Corner whom you can ask for help to start your collection.
In fact, most of the rare event Pok?mon I have came from here, you just need to be patient
and honest with all your transactions. Compared to older gens, trading in Pok?mon today is
more accessible!

Being part of this forums is already your first step to make your plan possible. Motivation and
hard work will make it come true. If you don't do it half-heartedly, then I'm sure you'll reach your
goal in no time. I'm really glad finding this forums, it really helps my event collection to improve!

Back