View Single Post
Old January 3rd, 2014 (12:03 AM).
You like dragons?
  • Crystal Tier

Nature: Hasty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer View Post
Specs, yes; portability, no. The reason laptops can fit so much in such a small space is that they use proprietary parts, which they can have made in any particular shape, such that it fits within their design. Should they be using standardised parts (which would be crucial for scratch-built/home-built systems), then there is no way thing would be as portable or as energy-efficient. Sure, it's frustrating, but it's a tradeoff that people often aren't aware of.
I know, right? A desktop can only dream about achieving an idle power usage of 10 watts or less :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Banner View Post
Ah, well guys. I want a laptop that's able to at least run League of Legends and maybe Borderlands 2 and Team Fortress 2. I'm also planing on putting Photoshop on it, and possibly illustrator. I also want it to be fast.

Did that help?
A lot of laptops will run all them just fine as long as it's not an ARM-based "tablet" or something running an Atom/Bay Trail Celeron/Pentium (Ivy Bridge/Haswell Celeron/Pentiums are OK). I'm willing to bet you want something better than "fine", though. If possible, aim for at least an Ivy Bridge/Haswell Core i5 (ULV processors are OK, and desirable if you want to use the laptop for a long time unplugged), and some sort of NVIDIA graphics with Optimus (again, battery life), of at least GeForce GT 630M level (I'd advise a 740M personally) (so you can play everything but Company of Heroes 2 and Metro: Last Light well enough at 720p (yes, a 630M is just fast enough for CoD: Ghosts and Battlefield 4 (!)). Aim for at least 4 GB of RAM, but some current-generation games won't run with such a configuration, so try for 8.

If possible, try to give a laptop a personal look. Try the keyboard and the trackpad, especially if you see yourself using the laptop outdoors a lot. The display resolution isn't terribly important - the display brightness, cover material (matte or glossy?), and whether any mottling exists is more important for a normal Windows laptop, since Windows desktop apps don't handle high-PPI displays well once you go beyond full-screen games and Microsoft apps.

If it comes with a replaceable normal 5400 RPM HDD, don't upgrade the HDD if there's no hybrid option. Buy a Seagate Laptop SSHD separately. You will never go back to non-SSD/SSHD solutions.