• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga It's not like I want you to post in me or anything, b-baka.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
The world of American driving isn't all SoCal, ahaha. Some of us actually have to focus on driving while driving because most of the traffic we deal with moves at 60+ MPH (though the way some people tailgate or putz on my commute... have to wonder if they've got their noses stuck to their phones).

Yes but fidelity.

I mean, it's one thing to watch a show because you want to get it out of the way, but I don't know how easy it'd be to really sell me on a powerful moment or plot twist or what have you on a phone.

Or maybe it's just me. I can understand the idea but I definitely think that environment plays a large part in the enjoyment of anime- or any medium really.

A decent pair of headphones can help the immersion. Though phone screens do cause you to miss some background details unless you're used to watching things on your phone. In my case, since my phone is my primary tool for YouTube, I tend to miss fewer details now than when I was first using my phone. 720p is mildly annoying, but I don't really HAVE anything that can put out in a better resolution that I can comfortably sit at (my PC with my busted as hell chair certainly isn't a good place to sit back and watch anime; my PS3 only puts out in 1080p with certain games/services anyway, plus I don't want to buy a new TV yet to replace my 32" display).

I can see myself streaming anime on my phone if I had a good phone, streaming services were worth the money, and I was out and about a lot, but it definitely wouldn't be my preferred method of viewing regardless. Need a larger screen, a more stable connection than a phone can provide (not that I have one of those right now...) and privacy, really.

For me, being able to lie in bed and watch anime, since I don't own a laptop that actually has enough power to play videos of any sort, is the biggest advantage of phone streaming.

Streaming your anime on a phone is only acceptable if you're doing it to fit in an extra couple of episodes whilst driving to work.

Sailing the high seas and/or ripping BDs is way more time consuming than just opening an app, and I have more important things to do than sail the high seas for HD anime. If I like it enough to rewatch in HD, I can buy the BDs later.

Besides, I have a flagship phone that's practically tablet sized (5.5 inch/140mm display) with screen pixel dimensions of 1440x2560. I'm not streaming to some budget Android phone. I'm streaming to the Pixel XL.

Years
My phone is similar or perhaps exactly the same, I can't remember (LG G4) and it's a nope for watching anything you actually want to get absorbed in. Catching up on news/sport or whatever is fine but no to toons or TV. Needs to be at least a decent tablet and that's only if you're travelling around/staying in hotels regularly.

If you're at home it needs to be torrented and played on your TV via an HDMI lead. Well, probably the HDMI, I'm yet to have a good experience casting softsubbed anime via windows or Samsung software.

That being said I'm probably a casual here. I probably need to get an old CRT setup to truly experience vintage series.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
I just stream to my phone as it's a heck of a lot more convenient that trying to find time to use the living room TV. As it turns out, streaming up to two different device models - thanks to this loophole, my dad and my own S7 edges are counted as 1, it seems, for this purpose - is part of our satellite TV plan.

Sure makes it a lot easier to watch what you want (in addition to, well, live TV and past episodes of a lot of things, live action or not, wherever it came from)

I'm just taking advantage of that by going into the anime rabbit hole. Curiosity of Dragon Maid got the better of me in the past few weeks. Coincidence?

And, yeah, the Galaxy S7 edge isn't most smartphones - the display is really large for its size at 5.5". It's also 1440p and extremely colourful. Comparing what I could get on the living room TV and the phone, the phone looks better, to be honest, probably thanks to better processing on the phone (I did enable S7 edge's video enhancer, which works) and AMOLED. Probably helps that our downstream is well beyond 5 Mbps recommended as per the provider...

I watch with headphones, since speakers are never going to do things justice.

It's a bit weird to find yourself being able to relate to fictional characters, or for the matter, being able to figure out what's being spoken...

Nah, I'm not going to watch anything while driving. Asian driving is crazy.

Come to think of it, they have a huge Inuyasha backlog. Hmm...

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 13, 2023
Reminder that the Uguunator app actually exists and will randomly play any of Ayu's 86 different variations of Uguu on loop while the app is running.

The mecha golden age has long since passed and probably won't be back any time soon.
What pissses me off is that a lot of the crap mech animes, either 1 cour or 2 cour all have some small nuggets of gold, but its drown out by the filth surrounding it. Valvrave was a cool concept, but went far too Anime, got lost in its own machinations and grandiosity, but man the idea of these hyper strong mechs that slowly kill the user is such a baller idea. I know others did it as well, I think, but the wqy it was setup and also mixed in body switching was fun. But noooo, ancient alien vampires invading the Earth had to be thrown in, and Shoko should never have made it past episode 1.
Back to its former glory? When did it ever lose its luster?

Shonen's been around and going about as strong as it ever has for a while now, but I couldn't well say that this season is really all that strong of an example of it. Machiavellianism is looking like it's trying to be copy its Kill la Kill-senpai, Hero Academia and Bort are around but, at least for the latter, the jury's still out, and as far as Super's progressing I'm still worried about how it'll handle actually utilizing all of these characters.

And that's...not much, really. Are there others? I think Re:Creators might count but I can't say much for that one yet.

...I wrote this two days ago. Looooooooooooooooooooove it when you don't press send.
Somewhere around the mid 2000s I think. All the major 90s series' have passed on, the big 3 were stwrting to drag themselves through heeps of mud, and the only noteworthy stuff coming out was the likes of Soul Eater and Fairy Tail. Some exceptions likeFMA Brotherhood made it through the cracks, but its been pretty iffy. Of course its not 2017 in general though, more like the last 5 or 6 years. 2011-2012 generally saw the revival happen, with HunterxHunter finally getting a proper adaptation, same thing with JoJo, and around then stuff like Gintama started. But yeah, this year is pretty damn good compared to those years and even rivals it, because the 2 biggest Shonens are in full force again with their respective continuation series', stuff like MHA and OPM exist, Attack on Titan is coming back and so on. And there even is some chinese crossover wtoh stuff like Gin No Guardian and Quan Zhi Gao Shou wh9ch are shonen as fuck desp8te not technically belonging in that category. So yeah its not like its back from the dead specifcally this year, but its pretty damn close to getting back to the late 90s era.

Years
Reading that post about shounen literally gave me a headache. You been drinking, fam? At least I got a laugh out of the comment on the big 3 dragging themselves through the proverbial mud. Lots of people consider mid 00s One Piece (Water 7 saga) as some of the best shounen has to offer.

I'd also add that Shounen Sunday was really strong around 2005-2010 with plenty of decent long runners starting up. Kekkaishi, Hayate no Gotoku, Ai Kora, Cross Game, Zetai Karen Children, Ochanigosu to name a few. That's just the startups in one magazine.

I really don't think you can say that the demographic is stronger now than it was a decade ago, especially since as you only really seem to be basing it on a handful of shows that normies in the west like.

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
It's funny how you start to be a lot more aware of things related to shows you're watching once you actually start doing that. Perhaps my web browsing had been influenced by me falling into the anime rabbit hole, but now everything related to Dragon Maid just ends up looking a bit conspicious. Yikes.

Years
I don't do anime twitter, tumblr or even MAL's anime section so I wasn't aware of how big Maid Dragon got with the normies until it got mentioned in here. I wouldn't have been able to predict it that's for sure.

On a related note have any of you seen Kanna's manga design? Fits her character so much more than KyoAni's fatty.
Spoiler:

pkmin3033

I like chubby Kanna; she's supposed to be a kid, and kid's aren't stick figures. Actually makes her look cuter. Also anime adaptation when.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
Heyha. How many are actually using the Bishie claim thread nowadays? d:

pkmin3033

...I also forgot I ever posted in it. I should really modify/update claims, but...effort. plus it's been dead for ages and I don't want to be the awkward one to revive it when I'm not that fussed

Legendary Silke

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Dec 23, 2021
It feels kind of distressing for some reason when your favourite anime is about to end and you really like them and wish they ran for more than 1 cour...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back