• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Metal & Color Generation Help Thread

Best secondary Pokemon Growlithe, Abra, or Machop?

• Growlithe

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Abra

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • Machop

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Nov 12, 2015
DS vs. DS lite shouldn't make a difference, so just get whichever one you like better/is cheaper. (I have one DS and one DS lite, and the combination works well.) The hinges on those units can be a little fragile, though, so make sure to get one that is in decent shape. Just make sure you don't get a DSi, as that doesn't have a GBA game slot.

You'll eventually want two DS systems (and one 3DS system), but you'll only need one DS for the first two games (FireRed and HeartGold, or LeafGreen and SoulSilver, whichever games you can find), so it may be easiest to start with the first system and then pick up a second one once you confirm that you're enjoying the experience. Assuming you're fine with trading with others and/or transferring your Pokemon among your 6th generation games using Pokemon Bank, you should be fine with just one 3DS. Any model is fine, although if you haven't bought a 3DS yet, I personally find the XL more comfortable to hold (with medium-sized hands) than the standard one. (Or you could get the new 3DS, though I don't know much about that.)

Good luck with your journey!

All right, you've covered absolutely everything.

Thanks again!

Konekodemon

The Master of Pokemon Breeding
Years
  • Age 39
  • NC
  • Seen Nov 20, 2023
I was wondering about a Pokemon Yellow glitch I once did. I forgot how to do it and I can't find it at all online. It's a glitch called, 'Run Away Pikachu' where you do something or another and Pikachu's supposed to go nuts and start running across the screen. Anyone know how to pull this off?

Found it! And I was wrong. It's not a glitch but a gameshark code:

Run Away Pikachu(What's the hurry?!)
0122F4C2
Turn the gameshark switch to the on position while in the game. Now, take a couple steps, pikachu may dissapear, or merge with you. Or it could run away,
Or hide. If Pikachu dissapears, walk somewhere else and go back to the same spot. Pikachu will start running like crazy!!!

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 1, 2019
Hey Pokemon lovers! I recently started playing through Pokemon Crystal again, and I need some small assistance with team building! I've already picked Cyndaquil as my starter, and I've also decided on getting Donaphan, Heracross and Skarmory/Noctowl.

Other options I am considering are Ampharos/Electabuzz, but I could get a Lanturn instead. Also, is Poliwrath/Politoad any good if I have Heracross? If any of you guys could get back to me as soon as possible, that would be great!

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Aug 20, 2023
Hey Pokemon lovers! I recently started playing through Pokemon Crystal again, and I need some small assistance with team building! I've already picked Cyndaquil as my starter, and I've also decided on getting Donaphan, Heracross and Skarmory/Noctowl.

Other options I am considering are Ampharos/Electabuzz, but I could get a Lanturn instead. Also, is Poliwrath/Politoad any good if I have Heracross? If any of you guys could get back to me as soon as possible, that would be great!

iirc poliwrath is good for physical, and politoed is special.
I guess it depends on the other members of your team as well.

GiovanniViridian

A World Of Pain!
Years
  • Seen Sep 29, 2023
Any tips on catching Raikou/Entei/Suicune in Gold/Silver? I know the method of Mean Look/False Swipe or at least don't let them flee or roar you and try to bring their HP down as much as possible, but I'm having more problems in trying to encounter them because they switch positions way too much.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 2, 2016
trouble with breeding

For some reason my ditto doesn't want to breed with Ursaring. I'he breeder pichu and it didn't take me long.

But here I am walking around for weeks and I get nothing

GiovanniViridian

A World Of Pain!
Years
  • Seen Sep 29, 2023
Does Ursaring show interest in Ditto? (Talk to Ditto and/or Ursaring outside the Day Care Center)

It should show interest and it usually took me a mixed time just for an egg to hatch. Recently the time for me to get a Tyrogue Egg was the longest (like more than 10 minutes) but the others took like 5 minutes so it's sort-of normal for this to happen. I suggest walking around again and just wait.

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
DV calculator?

Has anyone got a link to a working DV calculator for both first and second gen pokemon games? I ask bease Psypoke's calculator is horribly inaccurate, Serribi never added one onto their site, I found a simple flash calculator on deviantart once but it only works for 1st gen games (as such johto pokemon aren't featured) and just about every other link I can find leads to a dead webpage. There's one program I once used in the past that no longer will work on my computer. I bring this up since I could use this for a few ROM hacks I've been playing and it's bothersome no one has a DV calculator for the original gen 1 and 2 games, especially with the ability to check on hidden power's strength and type in the gen 2 games. Can anyone give me a link to a useful resource?

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
Years
  • Seen Feb 1, 2018
Thanks, but I don't want an editor, it takes the challenge out of the game.

You aren't editing anything, you're only checking DVs which is what you are asking for.

This is likely your only realistic option, as it seems unlikely there would be good DV calculators around anymore, and if you can find one, if you haven't been keeping track of stat exp then good luck calculating the DVs. You'd have to either keep track of stat exp (plenty of resources online that could help you with that), or level your Pokémon to a high enough level with rare candies (can't get enough without cheating) or day care (have fun with that one.)

If you're interested in calculating it yourself still here are a few links to help you figure it out.

How stat exp works
How DVs and Secret Power works in Gen. I/II
This also has formulas for calculating the stats. If you know stat exp you can solve the equation to get DV for that stat (woo algebra!)
With examples

Last edited:
Reactions: Sun

looneyman1

The Psycho Pokemon
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
I suppose you have a point, sorry about that I was skeptical if anything else.

Years
Alright, so I'm doing a Nuzlocke on Yellow (for a multi-generation story that I do hope to post to Azurilland eventually), and I don't know if this is where I want to ask this, but figured might as well try.

I got a Vulpix, and I know I won't be evolving it until at least Level 35 when it learns Flamethrower. But it is worth it to go the extra mile and wait until Level 42 for Fire Spin? Those wrapping moves are decent in this game, but I don't know if I should put up with that trouble. I'm playing on Set battle style with a limit of three healing items per battle (plus two extra status healing items), should that influence this at all. Thanks!

Sun

When the sun goes down...
Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
Alright, so I'm doing a Nuzlocke on Yellow (for a multi-generation story that I do hope to post to Azurilland eventually), and I don't know if this is where I want to ask this, but figured might as well try.

I got a Vulpix, and I know I won't be evolving it until at least Level 35 when it learns Flamethrower. But it is worth it to go the extra mile and wait until Level 42 for Fire Spin? Those wrapping moves are decent in this game, but I don't know if I should put up with that trouble. I'm playing on Set battle style with a limit of three healing items per battle (plus two extra status healing items), should that influence this at all. Thanks!

Imo, yes you should! Fire Spin is a excellent move in Gen I! And it's not like Vulpix can learn a lot of moves back then; Energy Ball, Dark Pulse, Extrasensory do not exist back then, so it doesn't hurt to make it learn Fire Spin. (:

Years
Yeah, move-pools in Generation I are not broad... But it'll be hard for me to keep it as an un-evolved Vulpix, with mediocre stats all-around, for five more levels. That'd pretty much require me to beat all the trainers I could before Koga and Sabrina's Gyms and then train up. (Hopefully it'll have Flamethrower by the time I'm done with Silph Co...). But I could go for it.

Reactions: Sun

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
Years
PssMiV6.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back