• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Discussion] Do you do challenges in your first run?

Years
  • have you ever gone through a pokémon game for the very first time, using a challenge run? or are you someone who plays with no rules in the first playthrough and sees challenges as ways to replay the game again?

i've only done challenges in games after starting a new file! my first file is always super casual with no rules. but i'm thinking of at least trying a nuzlocke run for the next main series game that comes out when i first play it <3

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
    Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I never do challenge runs as my first run. I want to experience the game first with a proper 6-pokemon team. That way, for any future runs/challenge runs, I know what to do to get through it fast.

Years
  • I don't think I've ever done a challenge on my first run. I usually try to play the game "as it was intented" to really judge if the game is good. I also try to explore as much as I can during my first playthrough, since I don't really do that in my next runs. And I treat that first save as a base where I send my Pokémon from other runs.

Years
  • I have done both (if you count romhacks) and most recently did my first playthrough of Pokemon X/Y in the draft challenge. For romhacks, I usually would nuzlocke them completely blind (especially romhacks similar to Drayano's hacks where it's the base game but harder + every national dex mon available in the story) and that is frustrating at times when you encounter surprise battles that weren't in the base game and you aren't prepared for them (the surprise Aaron battle in Renegade Platinum for example)

Outside of romhacks and Pokemon X/Y, I would play the game normally just to have a more relaxing/casual experience. Also, it allows me to prepare myself for any future challenge runs I may do of said games now that I know what to expect.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • nooooo lol my first playthrough is always just a normal run. i like to play the game as intended and use all new pokemon and see which ones i like, see how the story is, enjoy exploring, and just have a good time. no sense in doing a challenge right off the bat and hating myself tbh lol. i've always been big into the whole collecting aspect and trying out different pokemon so that's the most fun to me. that's how i like to spend my first time through a new game. making new friends, in a sense.

saniachan

Second Violinist
    Years
  • As for myself, my first ever runs in Moon, Ultra Sun, and X (in the order of what I've played) are/were straight-up challenges. Ended up doing it because I love spoiling myself and personally find no fun in casual first runs. I did have some mercy rules in Moon though, considering it was my very first challenge and all.

Years
  • Sort of? There are so many pokemon to choose from I have a hard time building a team from scratch lol (and if I pick as I go then I'll end up heavily biased towards early encounters), so I use a random generator to build my team (though I keep tweaking/re-rolling until all necessary HM's are covered). I also find a randomized team adds just a little more challenge, making the game more interesting for me, while still being a very casual run.

Years
    • Seen May 1, 2024
    I sometimes do monotypes of ROM hacks I know are difficult, because I want to Nuzlocke them eventually and I need knowledge about the game first (difficulty spikes, tough battles, etc)

Years
    • Seen Dec 12, 2023
    Not really. I would like to enjoy the game first and see what is has to present before I do a challenge. Plus it helps me know what battles would be difficult and what to expect.

Years
    • lolwut
    • Seen Aug 3, 2021
    For the first time I always play the game as it was intented to. I mostly do Monotype-based challenges and always do 1-2 normal walkthroughs "as preperation".

Major Agnostic

Pokemon Crystal Ultimate Developer
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2023
    I didn't before, but Pokemon games have become so easy that it's boring not to lol. I usually Set Nuzlocke for first runs now

Explorer of Time

Advocate of Ideals
    Years
  • Almost always. Doesn't matter if it's a mainline game, a romhack, a fangame, or anything else. In fact, I'm in the middle of my very first Gen 2 run, and it's a ground monotype.

Then again, I greatly prefer easier challenges like monotypes, which never really make things straight up impossible. I never do any nuzlocke variations because I get very attached to my Pokemon.

Back