• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Bulbasaur, Charmander, or Squirtle?

Umbreon_Of_Hotaru

I'm burred underneath a bunch of ocs. Send help.
Years
I used to play FRLG on my cousin's copies before I got my own. I think I just picked whatever starter I felt like picking and I never favored one. Whenever I play FRLF or the originals, I pick whatever I like for that playthrough.

KNS27

I got... Lonely Doggo?
Years
I choose Charmander because is Fire(?). Since Fire Red is my first Pokemon I ever Played.I think Fire Type has many advantages.And I'm I right.
Even though I struggled in Misty.

Raffy98

[color=#2d9bce][b][span="font-family: 'century got
Years
I chose Charmander, even though I knew I would have struggled against Misty and that's where Pikachu came into play. ;)

NoMoreStars

Trying
Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Apr 19, 2024
When I was younger I always chose Charmander without hesitation, but these days when I play a Kanto game I tend to go for Bulbasaur. I love all three equally but Bulbasaur is kinda the underdog in terms of popularity which is why I usually go for it. Plus Bulbasuar CRUSHES Brock and Misty.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 10, 2024
I chose Squirtle.

It can learn Bite through levelling up, which is handy against a lot of Psychic Types that will be fought throughout Kanto.

While my main Water Type later on would be Omastar due to Swift Swim outspeeding many of Lance's Dragons with a great Sp. Atk stat to boot, Blastoise would still be a reliable backup mon because of its bulk.

Star Arcana

Hope springs eternal
Years
fa10292f81b52dae3535c318974c3d69c2b4ba1a_hq.gif

This awesome blue turtle! I've always been team Squirtle; good type, good stats, good moves, and it does have a great design.

I do like Charmander and Bulbasaur though; Kanto has a solid set of starters (even though, despite liking it alright, I find Charizard to be overrated)

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 20, 2023
At least Grass type. In starting Fire is great.

Having an advantage over Caterpie and Metapod are hardly something to talk about. Fire itself is useless in Kanto, there's only 1 gym that is weak to fire and exactly 2 Pokemon during the E4 that also have a weakness to fire.

Eco

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 24, 2020
Certainly the best option always was Charmander in this games, and my first choice in FR 9-10 but in fact the three are pretty good. For example, Bulbasaur (the worst starter among the others) is a really great Pokémon for the first 3-4 gyms so... It's a taste matter.

Btw, I really love Charizard so it's always the first priority to me.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Feb 20, 2023
For example, Bulbasaur (the worst starter among the others) is a really great Pokémon for the first 3-4 gyms so... It's a taste matter.

Worst starter? how?

1- SE against Brock, Misty, Giovani, Loreli and Bruno.
2- Resists Surge, Erika and the fighting gym.
3- High offense and defense stats while Charizard has high attack but low defense stats and Blastoise has high defense but low attack stats plus it's the slowest, making Venusaur the most balanced one.
4- competitively speaking, Venusaur is way ahead of Charizard and Blastoise.

just look at how it's fair in meta

Og74G0I.jpg

rpxyvQn.jpg

YQw41Cx.jpg

QvYa6sH.jpg

Last edited:

Eco

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 24, 2020
Worst starter? how?

1- SE against Brock, Misty, Giovani, Loreli and Bruno.
2- Resists Surge, Erika and the fighting gym.
3- High offense and defense stats while Charizard has high attack but low defense stats and Blastoise has high defense but low attack stats plus it's the slowest, making Venusaur the most balanced one.
4- competitively speaking, Venusaur is way ahead of Charizard and Blastoise.

For example, Bulbasaur (the worst starter among the others) is a really great Pokémon for the first 3-4 gyms so... It's a taste matter.

LOL.

Back