• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Bulbasaur, Charmander, or Squirtle?

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Feb 3, 2016
Oh boy, this is my favorite set of starters and it's always so hard to choose! XD I used Squirtle the first time and named it Salty; I chose Bulbasaur and Charmander various times and the two are still battling for the coveted favorite spot... I definitely love Bulbasaur, though :)

Years
I tend to go with Squirtle, but I try to switch it up every now and then. I love 'em all, I can't help it DX.

If I remember correctly, Bulbasaur was my first... but it could have been Squirtle too.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
I usually go with Bulbasaur because it's an easy way to beat the first two gyms.
I tend to prefer leveling the Pokémon I have to catching new ones, and as a result I often get to the Elite Four without even having a full team of 6. Picking Bulbasaur right off the bat gives me time to decide what my second Pokémon should be rather than having to catch one right away to deal with Misty.

Drogan

Master of the Cannons
Years
Squirtle! Mostly because I always had Pokemon Blue so I always want to get the Pokemon that's on the cover. A long time later, it becomes my favorite Pokemon, so I pick Squirtle as my Kanto starter.

Oddball_

Magical Senpai and god of the closet.
Years
First playthrough? Charmander. But now its a different story...

Generally bulbasaur, he never really caught my eye until generation 6 where I used him and oh boy the fairies didn't stand a chance... And since we might as well, Charmander is my second choice because he has a good design. Although I like totodile and treeko as well so it might be a reptile thing... And Mega Charizard Y? The greatest design, so much better than the terrible design they gave X. I mean thanks gamefreak for making the kids think they're cool cause they have a "Shiny" charizard. *Nerd rage* (Actually if you color swap Mega X with a standard pallete, he isn't that bad, but Y is still better IMO)

Oh and squirtle... eh. I actually rank him near the bottom of all 18 starters, Although turtwig and chikorita are down there with him.

Years
in my first playthrough I chosen charmander in pokemon firered, in leafgreen I chosen bulbasaur and in pokemo. red (yes the one of gb) I chosen squirtle, but of the three I prefer charmander

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jan 2, 2016
Charmander, cos the extra Flying type in Charizard made things slightly easier.

Years
  • Seen Feb 5, 2023
Unless I'm doing like a monotype challenge, then I will always pick charmander because that is my favorite starter of the three and charizard is such a badass Pokemon. I really like all of the starters for Gen. 1.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen yesterday
I usually pick Charmander, because of FRLG's small number of Fire-types. Before completing the seventh gym, the only options are Arcanine (FR), Ninetales (LG), and Flareon. Even afterwards, the only options are Rapidash, Magmar (LG), and, if you're willing to use it, Moltres.

Grass and Water have more options available earlier on.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 7, 2016
I used to always choose Charmander but these days, I'm more of a squirtle/bulbasaur person. I guess years of always going with the same thing got to me!

Itcheeee

All Hail Shadow
Years
My first Firered I used my favorite, Squirtle. Got Leafgreen and used Bulbasaur, and got another Firered and finally was able to use Charmander :P

Only got the first game in 2012, played LG last year, and just fnishing my second FR now actually. I'm glad I was able to use all of Kanto's starters over time :D

Aurora

seven years here and i finally figure out how to d
Years
I like using Charmander. Charizard's secondary Flying typing lets me save the teamslot I would normally dedicate to Pidgeot for something potentially more useful. That said, I don't mind using Bulbasaur or Squirtle since they make life much easier when facing the first couple of Gyms.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Sep 26, 2016
You can choose any pokemon which you love, but from my point, Charmander is considered the best. If you choose Bulbasaur, then your little dinosaur will face a FLYING and FIRE lizard in the end, which is quadruple the power to a tiny GRASS pokemon. If you choose Squirtle, you can destroy Venusaur later with your Ice Beam, but later in the game you will find more powerful Water pokemon. Yes, more powerful. For example, exchange with your friend and have a Polywrath - Fighter pokemon, or Gyarados or even Lapras. As you can see, lots of Water pokemon in the First Generation to choose. However Charizard is the only Flying combined with Fire, with great Special attack and dmg.

Years
  • Age 25
  • Seen Jul 31, 2017
I've only used bulbasaur and It was pretty easy, would choose charmander next time though

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Aug 25, 2016
I think the most powerful is Blastoise as I am a big fan of the water-type pokemon.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 8, 2024
I actually went with Bulbasaur, since it makes the game quite easy getting through the first two gyms and resisting the third. Like most, I eventually reset and went through with them all.

BubbleBeams

Defeating Champions Since 1999
Years
  • Age 34
  • Iowa
  • Seen Oct 26, 2021
I've played through the games so many times that I'm certain I've played with all three of them at some point. I used to default to Charmander all the time, but lately I've been a lot more likely to go with Bulbasaur.

For some it might depend on how much of a challenge you want. I think Bulbasaur is the easiest to start out with, while Charmander presents a little more of a challenge with the first two gyms. Squirtle is relatively easy to start with and I would say it's a little harder later with the electric and grass gyms, but by then I think most people definitely have started to build a team with other pokemon.

Back