• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

7th Gen Type representation weirdness?

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2021
    I imagine part of the reason Alola forms are going to be included in this game is to add more variety to the types available (marowak so it's not just ghastly's line, diglett so it's not just magnemite's line, exeggutor so it's not just dratini, and meowth and rattatta so dark types aren't altogether exluded. Still, how weird will it be to have such little type representation in these games? (hasn't been like that since gold and silver...). At least a few gen 1 mons were retconned as fairy types...

Damien.aspiring.fandev

Chapter 16 A New Dawn { ||:^❩ )
    Years
  • I wonder how the Alolan variants got there 'tho...?
    Someone taking them there? Researchers experimenting? Trainers releasing them?
    Gotten there by poachers or other shady characters and then released or lost?
    Maybe a hoopa is having some fun? Or perhaps some junk happened with ultra wormholes?

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • Technically they could remedy SOME of their lack of variety by allowing Evolutions they added in later generations(Steelix and Scizor immediately come to mind) but it doesn't remedy the fact that there are no Dark Types unless they allow Eevee to "evolve" into its Dark Type cousin. However, not having a Dark Type wouldn't be such a bad idea(makes Sabrina a bit harder). Adding in Alolan types just for the sake of variety ruins the exclusivity of Alolan Pokemon and Generation VII as I see it.

bwburke94

Forever Aspertia's Aspie
    Years
  • Technically they could remedy SOME of their lack of variety by allowing Evolutions they added in later generations(Steelix and Scizor immediately come to mind) but it doesn't remedy the fact that there are no Dark Types unless they allow Eevee to "evolve" into its Dark Type cousin. However, not having a Dark Type wouldn't be such a bad idea(makes Sabrina a bit harder). Adding in Alolan types just for the sake of variety ruins the exclusivity of Alolan Pokemon and Generation VII as I see it.
    The Switch has an internal clock, so this isn't a FRLG situation. If Eevee can evolve at all, then Eevee can evolve into Umbreon.

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • That seems to likely be confirmed, since these games will only have the original 151 Pokemon from 1st Gen obtainable, but will also have the Alolan forms incorporated, likely to fix type diversity gaps.

Well if these games are anything like Yellow version then Meowth line(along with Koffing and Ekans) are not obtainable due to being TR Pokemon. That would include its Dark Type Alolan variant and I?m not getting Alolan Raticate or Alolan Muk just so I can burn Sabrina by a factor of 10. A Bug Type like Butterfree would work just fine and the fact they won?t allow you to challenge Brock without a Water/Grass Type... defeats the whole purpose of learning Type advantages/disadvantages. It?s like they completely forgot that Fighting types would work too(else why give Pikachu(and I assume Eevee as well) the move Double Kick(yes Double Kick.... *facepalm*)). Hell what if I wanted to face Brock with Flying Types? Based on how this game is coded, nuzlockes, monotypes or solo runs are not viable one bit. Going a bit off the rails here but suffice to say that the more I read/learn about this game, the more I don?t like it and worry for what?s in store for the Generation VIII game. If the handholding was bad for Generation VI(and especially Generation VII), I cant imagine what they have planned for the next region/Generation game.

TLDR: This game is going to suck as bad as Sun and Moon Anime.

EmTheGhost

I say a lot of words
    Years
  • Me being me, I'm most disappointed that there will only be two Ghost-type lines (assuming Alolan Marowak makes it in). I don't like A-Marowak that much, and I've already used the Gastly line in another playthrough, so...no Ghosts for me, I guess? Unless they make you have a Ghost-type for Sabrina or some other point, in which case I'll just have to compromise. :/

Years
  • Well if these games are anything like Yellow version then Meowth line(along with Koffing and Ekans) are not obtainable due to being TR Pokemon. That would include its Dark Type Alolan variant and I?m not getting Alolan Raticate or Alolan Muk just so I can burn Sabrina by a factor of 10. A Bug Type like Butterfree would work just fine and the fact they won?t allow you to challenge Brock without a Water/Grass Type... defeats the whole purpose of learning Type advantages/disadvantages. It?s like they completely forgot that Fighting types would work too(else why give Pikachu(and I assume Eevee as well) the move Double Kick(yes Double Kick.... *facepalm*)). Hell what if I wanted to face Brock with Flying Types? Based on how this game is coded, nuzlockes, monotypes or solo runs are not viable one bit. Going a bit off the rails here but suffice to say that the more I read/learn about this game, the more I don?t like it and worry for what?s in store for the Generation VIII game. If the handholding was bad for Generation VI(and especially Generation VII), I cant imagine what they have planned for the next region/Generation game.

I do agree with you on the Nuzlockes part, and pretty much any self-imposed challenge. LGP/LGE is pretty much going to be the game that kills Nuzlockes, Monotypes and any other self-imposed challenge imaginable. Heck, even US/UM tried to kill off the Nuzlocke with Ultra Necrozma's ridiculous +1 all-stats boost and wide coverage moveset.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I suppose it?ll be weird to have almost none of certain types... I wish they hadn?t just limited the selection to the original 151, I feel like while it?s less overwhelming there?s also less room for variability.

I wish they had included not a whole other region?s worth, but a few mons here and there. A few more Ghost-type lines. Fairy-type, Dragon-type, etc. Just to make sure there?s a balanced amount.

Well if these games are anything like Yellow version then Meowth line(along with Koffing and Ekans) are not obtainable due to being TR Pokemon. That would include its Dark Type Alolan variant and I?m not getting Alolan Raticate or Alolan Muk just so I can burn Sabrina by a factor of 10. A Bug Type like Butterfree would work just fine and the fact they won?t allow you to challenge Brock without a Water/Grass Type... defeats the whole purpose of learning Type advantages/disadvantages. It?s like they completely forgot that Fighting types would work too(else why give Pikachu(and I assume Eevee as well) the move Double Kick(yes Double Kick.... *facepalm*)). Hell what if I wanted to face Brock with Flying Types? Based on how this game is coded, nuzlockes, monotypes or solo runs are not viable one bit. Going a bit off the rails here but suffice to say that the more I read/learn about this game, the more I don?t like it and worry for what?s in store for the Generation VIII game. If the handholding was bad for Generation VI(and especially Generation VII), I cant imagine what they have planned for the next region/Generation game.

This comment is also quite silly. We have already seen changes from Yellow, no reason to assume that Pokemon will be unobtainable. Also you?re making huge assumptions that there will be handholding in the future 2019 game based on the fact this game has it. I would argue the opposite: this one is aimed at casual fans, that one?s for hardcore fans. Now that they have a game for each audience they don?t need to make a game that appeals to both and they can just focus on hardcore fans. So we can expect less handholding, I think. It?s a good thing!

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I would have liked inclusion of evolutions of the original 151 Pokemon too. If we're getting Alolan forms, why not allow the likes of Crobat to show up too? Tangrowth, Magmortar, etc also give more reason to train up usually weak Pokemon like Tangela, and added reason to use the trading feature for evolving Magmar, etc.

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • I suppose it?ll be weird to have almost none of certain types... I wish they hadn?t just limited the selection to the original 151, I feel like while it?s less overwhelming there?s also less room for variability.

I wish they had included not a whole other region?s worth, but a few mons here and there. A few more Ghost-type lines. Fairy-type, Dragon-type, etc. Just to make sure there?s a balanced amount.

This comment is also quite silly. We have already seen changes from Yellow, no reason to assume that Pokemon will be unobtainable. Also you?re making huge assumptions that there will be handholding in the future 2019 game based on the fact this game has it. I would argue the opposite: this one is aimed at casual fans, that one?s for hardcore fans. Now that they have a game for each audience they don?t need to make a game that appeals to both and they can just focus on hardcore fans. So we can expect less handholding, I think. It?s a good thing!

Version exclusive Pokemon has been a theme since Generation 1. To think otherwise is naive and if they're basing this on Yellow, then there will be Pokemon that you can't obtain unless you Trade with someone who has the other version where they're available(Don't be surprised if the Alolan Types are among the "Exclusives"). As for the handholding, its been getting progressively worse since Generation 6 and that includes the Exp. Share that has massively reduced the difficulty curve with respect to grinding. While this game may indeed be tailored towards the casual fan, the trend is pointing for the handholding to continue into Generation 8. If anything these two games have highlighted the insatiable cash grab urge with the Poke Ball Plus(Mythical for only $45... can see it now: Get your very own Arceus for only $5 in the future), Online play for the Switch(used to be free, now you have to PAY for it) and other features that we took for granted no longer available.

I would have liked inclusion of evolutions of the original 151 Pokemon too. If we're getting Alolan forms, why not allow the likes of Crobat to show up too? Tangrowth, Magmortar, etc also give more reason to train up usually weak Pokemon like Tangela, and added reason to use the trading feature for evolving Magmar, etc.

Agree 100% as it would've meant including following Evolutions:

Mega's(I mean Kanto has them... and if they're including Alolan forms, it must mean that Mega's ought to be included if they haven't been already. Heck I'd be shocked if Z-Moves weren't included seeing as they're including Alolan forms on purpose)
    Eevee's Gen 2, Gen 4 and Gen 6 Evolutions yielding Dark, Psychic, Grass, Ice and Fairy Typing respectively
    Crobat
    Magnezone
    Steelix
    Scizor
    Rhyperior
    Magmortar
    Electivire
    Lickilicky
    Blissey
    Porygon-2/Z
    Tangrowth
    Kingdra *Cough another Dragon Type Cough*
    Offshoot Evolutions for Oddish, Poliwag, Slowpoke and Tyrogue(specifically Hitmontop)

All told that would add 17 + 4(Eevolutions) = 21 extra Pokemon to choose from and that's not factoring in the 10 Alolan forms that would essentially be the pool of Dark Type Pokemon(which shouldn't be in the game but I digress...)

Last edited:

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    I feel like the type balancing in gen 1 was horrible
    we had 1 ghost/dragon line, and about 33 poison types (more then every other generation combined iirc)

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2021
    Agreed about the evolutions and the megas. It would be a nice way to focus on the original 151 (even though gen 6 and gen 7 also focus on them...) while at the same time celebrating the change that the franchise has experienced. Alolan forms are kind of random without megas and evos

Last edited:
    Years
  • I'm with Marcin in that I feel the Kanto Pokedex should have been retooled to include cross-gen evolutionary relatives, much like how HG/SS and OR/AS updated their regional Dexes for it.

The fact it's restricting just to the Pokemon from Bulbasaur to Mew is basically FR/LG all over again, where it also didn't include the cross-gen relatives. It basically comes off as nothing but pandering to nostalgia, or that GF believes that some people who played 1st Gen consider that to be the only generation of Pokemon or something like that.

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • I feel like the type balancing in gen 1 was horrible
    we had 1 ghost/dragon line, and about 33 poison types (more then every other generation combined iirc)

Wasn't just the type balancing but the lack of good moves for certain Types as well. Breaking down Kanto by Type, this is what we got:

Normal: 20(was 22 but Clefairy is now purely Fairy Type)
    Grass: 14
    Fire: 12
    Water: 32(insane amount)
    Flying: 18
    Bug: 12
    Poison: 33(#1 Typing among the first 151)
    Rock: 11
    Ground: 14
    Electric: 9
    Psychic: 14
    Fighting: 8
    Ice: 5
    Ghost: 3
    Dragon: 3
    *Dark: None
    *Steel: 2
    *Fairy: 4

By adding in the Alolan variants, the greatest impact would be on Dark(+6), Steel(+4), Rock(+3), Electric(+4), Ground(+2) and Ice(+4) with marginal impact on Ghost, Psychic, Dragon, Grass, Fire and Fairy(+1 in all of those).

Even by adding in Alolan variants... you're still limited in what Pokemon to catch and I still won't catch any Dark Types. I'd rather have a Normal Type like Eevee with Shadow Ball.

Last edited:
    Back