• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tips for writing

Years
  • Prose, essays and (especially) poetry all have vastly differently requirements to be "good" and are all built following very different conventions. You're going to need to be more specific about what you want. The only thing that is 100% universal to all three is spelling things correctly.

Bay

Years
  • As Gimmepie said, you probably need to be more specific one what tips you want and why. Is it for school, for instance? If so, your teachers should give you some tips already on what they're looking for.

For poetry, I would read an analysis of several well-known poets as a head start. William Shakespeare, Robert Frost, Emily Dickinson are some examples you can look up on.

EmeraldSky

Make the Colors in the Sky!
    Years
  • If you're writing a story, have some semblance of an outline before you start. This will save you a lot of headaches by keeping the main story, any sidestories, characters, Pokemon, spells and powers (if applicable) and other events straight. Once you've made your outline, it is not set in stone--you are free to add to it, delete something from it, and rearrange things as the story progresses.

Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2020
    My advice is that if you want to create a story of your own, make sure its a subject you love. If you love the world, characters, plots, ext. of your story, you are putting more enjoyment into it. There is a quote by Steven King that I always liked, "If there's no joy, it is no good." So if you write a story about something you don't like or you just aren't into, the readers can see it in the tone of the story. When I write my stories, I find myself so caught up in my worlds and characters that I have the same kind of enjoyment I feel when I'm playing a video game or watching a movie. So yeah, remember to have fun when you write!

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    My advice for writing in general would be to not think too much about every word. Just get them out there, down onto the paper or onto the screen. Language doesn't have to be perfect, details don't need to be included unless they are crucial and relevant. Or include a lot of detail if your brain and fingers seem to want it right now.

You can always (you should always!) go back and edit and adjust later. It's better to get something out that can be perfected later, than to hardly progress at all because you think it can be perfect the first time around (it usually won't be).

Back