• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Guide: Analysis of the full Galar Dex

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
  • There is no way the regional forms have thwir own dex numbers. The evos probably but not the mons themselves.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen yesterday
    In previous generations in order to transfer Pokemon they had to climb up through each generation. If Venusaur is in Gen 9 for example how would you transfer it from 7 to 9? Is it possible to transfer pokemon from 5 straight to gen 7? Also there might be a sequel that has the other Pokemon but then it'd be weird to have two games in the same gen that you can't trade between.

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Noticed that Darumaka and Darmanitan are listed as their normal forms rather than their Galarian forms.
    Thanks, I've fixed that now.
    Also, anyone notice the double standard of Galarian forms getting their own national dex numbers while Alolan forms didn't?
    I don't think the new regional forms are supposed to have numbers, but if they really do, then that is extremely weird.

Well makes sense for regional evos to have their own numbers but not the actual regional mons
    As noted in this thread and the article, the dex numbers were assumed and to be adjusted. I've done that now, including given the Galarian forms the same dex numbers as their original counterparts.
    In previous generations in order to transfer Pokemon they had to climb up through each generation. If Venusaur is in Gen 9 for example how would you transfer it from 7 to 9? Is it possible to transfer pokemon from 5 straight to gen 7? Also there might be a sequel that has the other Pokemon but then it'd be weird to have two games in the same gen that you can't trade between.
    They're to release something called Pokemon Home next year, where Pokemon can stay until a game is released which allows them to visit the region. :V

It remains to be seen what happens for games released later as part of gen 8. However, note that Mega Evolutions/etc released in ORAS couldn't be sent to XY, and the newer Ultra Beasts in USUM couldn't be traded to SM. Heck, in gen 4 Platinum you couldn't trade Rotom in its forms or Origin Giratina, etc, to DP! So... that's not a promising precedent.

Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2022
    I've heard the argument that the cut was to balance competitive gameplay but I'm not quite seeing how, since it's not like the OU mons suddenly became less powerful. I guess the lack of Smeargle complicates things a little? But iirc we can still transfer egg moves so that doesn't hold up either.

Illyasviel

video game hustler
    Years
  • Woo, it's been a wild ride.
    I decided long ago not to get the game but I guess I'll put in my two cents.

I'm of the opinion that a Pokemon game doesn't need all the Pokemon to be a great game. I kept saying every year "I wonder when they'll drop support for previous monsters", because they were really digging themselves a ditch they were gonna die in. With a horridly cramped release schedule for each game, it became more and more unrealistic to think they would keep this up til infinity.

That is, until Creatures stepped in and made high quality, future-proofed models. Fans said "Oh, all of this work means we won't have dex cuts after all?"
    Alas, all this work was all thrown out the window. In an interview that later amassed great disdain from fans, it was revealed that for the first time, there would indeed be dex cuts. The reasons given were for "balance" and so they could work on "graphics" and quality.
    As for me? I wasn't happy about all that, but it wasn't a defining factor in my decision to drop official Pokemon games now after these 20+ years.

I'm saddened a lot at how the company has been handling things. The lies, the lack of transparency. They lied about making models from scratch. The floor textures are like those of Sonic '06, and that's not ever a game you want to be on the same level with. Models come in and out, the processing is clunky in various places. They still copy-paste models instead of recalling the same ones, thus wasting space. It doesn't sit on par with what other Switch games have shown the system is capable of, and their cover-up wasn't well-received either.

They've refused to broaden their workforce in the 3D department ever since the change over to the 3DS, and it's continuing to show now that the 3DS's hardware limitations are no longer a factor. As much as I hate to say it, I would have taken an even more severe dex cut if it meant they could uphold their promises on how the game presents and runs.

If it were not for ROM hacks, I would have fallen out of love with the series long ago. Pokemon's slogan was always "Gotta Catch 'em All", and although it's great meme fodder these days, I don't think that was what made Pokemon great at its core. Perhaps the Game Boy's limitations were what made it what it is. Seeing Flareon and knowing at a glance it is blazing fire, Jolteon as a frenzied lightning, and Vaporeon as something fishy... a lot of that is gone, along with a lot of the values the company had during the development of Heartgold and Soulsilver.

They say it's to get with the times. That the newer generations are more interested in things in smaller packages, "instant gratification". Those interviews showed more than ever that they are increasingly out of touch with their fans. I think for many people, this was the straw that broke the camel's back after hoping the Switch would bring something better than what the 3DS had to offer.

On the other hand, recent interviews with Digimon's director has shown great promise for the fans. Cyber Sleuth was localized all because we signed a petition, and was later brought to Switch and PC after fans begged them for more. And now, with Digimon Survive as an upcoming title for these and many more systems, once again at the fans' requests, a Sony IP is showing more promising than Pokemon is on a Nintendo system. As a fan of both, I'm not sure whether to feel proud of Digimon, or sad for Pokemon.

I'm sorry if this was long. It's almost like the death of something I knew and loved for as long as it lived. I didn't think a rushed overview would do it justice.

It's been 23 years. I organize the phases of my life by what Pokemon games were out at the time, and it will hurt to end all that. But I had great times and memories with it, met many friends, and I feel blessed at least to have been alive for all of it.

Last edited:

JG Smith

Author, Student and Data Analyst
    Years
  • THIS HAS SPOILERS

But it also has analysis of the full Galar Dex, as we know it from leakers. FInd out which type is the most and least common, how popularity scales in Galar, and which region reigns supreme!

Point out errors, suggest additions, etc. Dex numbers are NOT final, and notes are to be added.

It's great being able to overview what's coming for the Galar region in this format. Thank you for this. I've noticed a couple of errors in the spreadsheet.

1. Should the Galarian forms be counted as additional Pokemon for each region (on top of their standard forms)? What of other forms? For an accurate representation, numbers should be strictly based on number of Pokemon regardless of form. Otherwise it tricks the reader of the stats into thinking there is an additional six Kanto Pokemon, one Johto Pokemon, two Hoenn Pokemon, and four Unova Pokemon, where in fact it is just regional forms of the same Pokemon being ascribed to the original form's region. Personally, I'd also add the number of Pokemon introduced in the Galar region to see the distribution of the 401 Pokemon (Unova remains in the lead holding 21% of the dex while Galar holds 20%).

2. Pokemon names under the 'Popular Pokemon (Reddit Poll)' sheet do not match the reference names nor do they include the return of Pokemon who originally return as regional variants to accurately represent what should be 320 Pokemon (not 305 as shown alongside the sanity check). I fixed this by adding N. Dex column as on the Dex Entry sheet with the same formula (just changing the reference cell). The Pokemon names to be changed under the 'Popular Pokemon (Reddit Poll)' sheet are:

Farfetchd -> Farfetch'd
    Mr-Mime -> Mr. Mime
    Type-Null -> Type: Null
    Tapu-Koko -> Tapu Koko
    Mime-Jr - Mime Jr.
    Flabebe -> Flabébé
    Tapu-Lele -> Tapu Lele
    Tapu-Bulu -> Tapu Bulu
    Tapu-Fini -> Tapu Fini​

The COUNTIF ranges to determine number of Pokemon per rank grouping is also arbitrarily distributed. It should be I2:I101 followed by I102:I201 followed by I202:I301 and so on and so forth.

3. Lurantis does not have a dex number under the Ref sheet (should be 754).

4. Stat Balance. I would calculate using only the stats that are available. Including unknown stats as 0 is an unfair representation of the regions Stat Balance. I got (pending additional data):

HP: 66
    Attack: 73
    Defense: 73
    SpAtk: 65
    SpDef: 69
    Speed: 61
    TOTAL: 406

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
  • The problem i have is gamefreak talking about limitations and then going and making 23 different versions of a single pokemon. When we could had alot more of our favorites.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • So apparently Masuda said that they have no intention of adding missing pokemon to SwSh nor do they plan to change plans in the future. Ok... we will see how far that gets them. That is a lame and stupid excuse now that we are on console that has far more memory.

I believe they are going to be in for a very harsh reality if the continue the trend and not listen to the players.

People believe they are interested right now, but a lot of people try to avoid leaks. Now if the 200+ pokemon after the game is finished is real, which right now one source says it isn't the the other says it is, that my change my opinion. But if it isn't real, I think a lot of people are going to be disappointed even many of those who have said it isn't a bad idea.

Last edited:

pkmin3033

Ohhhhhh dear. Oh dear. Shots fired. Again.

That said, this sounds like marketing rubbish to me, and possibly a very clever way to win back goodwill and improve future sales figures. Because the second that Game Freak releases a game that has every Pokemon coded into in the future - and you know they will, two or three games down the line - they are going to get praised, applauded, and thanked by basically everyone...ignoring the fact that this is something that they could and should have done in the first place. This is not an uncommon tactic in the industry these days: Randy Pitchford was cheered when he announced that Borderlands 3 wouldn't have any microtransactions or lootboxes. Because it was what was expected of the game. It turned out he was lying and there were cosmetic microtransactions in the game, but that's not the point in this instance: the point is that these comments are clearly designed to shift player expectations into expecting less. This is clearly designed to normalise the concept of an incomplete Pokedex, so when there is a complete Pokedex, it will be seen as something special and admirable, rather than the norm.

Not only that, but Masuda is probably very aware of the trend in sales figures of Pokemon titles, and just how important Pokemon is as a system seller. You can bet that Sword and Shield will sell ridiculously well, but there's no guarantee for future titles - especially with dex cuts - and they will be working on the Switch for a while. A Switch game with every Pokemon in it, after two or three instalments with partial dexes, will skyrocket sales...likely near the end of the Switch's lifespan, or to tie in with the release of a new model. Probably the latter, when you consider there is a Pokemon limited edition Switch Lite. We'll have to wait and see what the sales figures are, but I think it's a safe bet, given historic trends.

But I mean, back in 2018, Masuda said that this kind of cut was going to be avoided. Now he's saying to expect it to continue. He's also covering his arse in case Game Freak have a short deadline and need to make cuts again, and paving the way for future goodwill when they can make a complete Pokemon game without any unnecessary cuts. It's corporate trash, with a potential long-term benefit whilst inciting outright fury in the here and now. He is also definitely not the person to be making these statements right now either, because he has contradicted himself so many times in interviews these past few months his credibility and goodwill are practically non-existent, and this isn't going to help the abuse situation...and that really does need to stop. It won't stop if he keeps sayings things like this. This is more fuel for a fire that would make Hell look like a cute sparkler at this stage.

"No plans" doesn't mean "we won't do it" either. Square Enix said for a long time that they had "no plans" to remake Final Fantasy VII...and it turned out the remake had been in development all along. I've lost count of the number of times I've seen "no plans" coming from developers, who have then gone back on that within a few months to release what was speculated. "No plans" often means "we don't know yet" or "we're doing it but we don't want to tell you until it'll bring us the most profit" and I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't have half a patch for this in the works already to release alongside Home. Speaking of...the deliberate ambiguity around Pokemon Home doesn't help either. If it is, as I suspect, a separate subscription based service that is basically Pokemon Bank for Switch and iOS, it's no wonder they're keeping quiet, especially if it isn't included with NSO...although I think that an unlikely worst-case scenario. There is also zero incentive whatsoever to purchase Home, because who knows how long your Pokemon will be on it? Masuda says to "look after" them but this entire dex cut completely devalues Pokemon, and that hurts the core message of the franchise: that Pokemon are special. As I've said before, the continuity of the franchise is one of its greatest strengths, and this puts a great big smoking hole right in the middle of it.

My best guess? They'll get the games out, see the initial reviews and sales figures, get Pokemon Home out there, and then we might see a patch for these games, if it's deemed profitable and doable in the time allotted. If not, they'll save it for down the line. That's all assumption, and I clearly have no idea what goes on at Game Freak, but we have seen this bullshit in the industry so many times over the years now and, if Game Freak have proved one thing in the last few months, it's that they aren't above the corporate, anti-consumer bullshit that infects the so-called AAA industry. They clearly do not care about the fans, or their product, as much as they would like to claim they do.

But my tl;dr response to this little nuggest would be this: Shut the fuck up, Masuda. I think you've inflamed the situation enough with your comments on this. I'd also advise people not to take it at face value, because honestly it doesn't say very much at all.

Last edited:
    Years
  • It just seems like nowadays that the fans put more effort into their own games than the game companies themselves. Of course, both approaches have their ups and downs:

Game Company
    Pros: Publicity and having the newest games on the newest consoles
    Cons: Is all about the money and may sacrifice quality for profit (though not all companies do this...I think)

Fans
    Pros: (Most) games are decent to high quality, even if they are not 3D. People working on the games also get experience that can help them in future jobs. Said fan games could influence people to check out official games.
    Cons: Often no money made from these games, can be hard to attract people to them, and some game companies will issue C&D if IPs are used just to make sure those companies remain profitable.

I've come to the opinion that I could care less about copyrights of an IP. Sure, I would make sure to give credit where credit is due, but I believe issuing C&Ds on a game intended to be free is being way overly-protective. That and microtransactions over the past few years have left some sour marks for me regarding what game companies do.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • It's great being able to overview what's coming for the Galar region in this format. Thank you for this. I've noticed a couple of errors in the spreadsheet.
    MVP! Thanks for the detailed feedback, much appreciated. Most changes done already, but yet to reflect that in the article version. Hopefully tomorrow.

Responding to things:
    - 1. Fair point. I forgot to adjust those after reverting the dex numbers for galarian forms to their original dex numbers. It's not changed. Also added the number of the galar region mons into graphs.

- 2 Teaches me to assume they did the poll correctly... fixed. As for the countif ranges, that was on purpose - some pokemon were tied for rank 100 or etc, so I kept true to that.

3. Fixed. Weird, too...

4. I'll look into it. It was a pre-existing calculation by ddrox. I presume I could just add a condition on a value having to be there, or limit the range until we have the stats.

JG Smith

Author, Student and Data Analyst
    Years
  • Most changes done already, but yet to reflect that in the article version. Hopefully tomorrow.

I look forward to it! I suspected changes may have been made prior to my post submission.

As for the countif ranges, that was on purpose - some pokemon were tied for rank 100 or etc, so I kept true to that.

Understood... now. I overlooked that part completely o.O

I presume I could just add a condition on a value having to be there, or limit the range until we have the stats.

I used =AVAREAGEIF(referencerange; ">0") since the lowest existing stat belongs to Shedinja at 1 HP.

Overall, it's good to see a change in representation. Kanto is present, just not the most dominant. I'm also happy about the region being haunted (Ghost has long been one of my favourite types).

pkmin3033

Looks like the "full" Galar Dex might not be quite so full after all.

If that's true, you just know it'll be paid DLC, especially considering most of those are Legendaries...and if it is paid DLC, that is Activision-Blizzard levels of corporate BS. Hell, that makes Fallout 76 look consumer-friendly, even. Especially considering what we've gone to from what we had. It just gets worse with each passing day.

Although some of those choices imply to me that there will be a level of Pokemon Go connectivity in there...

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Still just under half of all Pokemon in the game even with that bump. Might be DLC, free or paid (maybe mystery gift events? They've liked doing that, makes sense here).

I'll update the article with the plots for the additional 35 pokemon; might make a separate page for those, maybe? Shall ponder it. Gotta prep other articles for release though too! Oh, and I guess I can put actual stats in as well for the newer Pokemon, although I might try to script that to make it easier than manual number placement (which is prone to errors too). Hmm...

Last edited:

pkmin3033

Honestly I have very little faith that it'll be free DLC this time...I think the best we can hope for is a postgame story expansion. It wouldn't shock me if we had an expansion pass - Fire Emblem has had one, Zelda has had one, and whilst those are the domain of other developers, it doesn't change the fact that they're core Nintendo IPs that previously didn't have them. We're entering a very dark age with all this...granted, it's more of a meeting of the same kind of standards (or lack thereof) we've been seing everywhere else, but not being corporate trash is part of what made Pokemon so special.

I do think Mew, Celebi, and Jirachi at least have been added in because of the Pokemon Go events, although with the Gen V Legendaries - what on earth is up with this Gen V fixation, and where is Meloetta, the only Gen V Legendary that matters?! - I'd half expect some kind of postgame story...and maybe something surrounding Lillie/Gladion for Solgaleo/Lunala, because Eternatus definitely looks like an Ultra Beast. Some interesting prospects I suppose, but we'll probably have to pay at least half the game's RRP to get it...

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
  • Even with the maybe extra Pokemon Lilligant is inexplicably still not in the game. :(

Adding the Kanto starters (who should be in the game anyway not just the Charizard line) and a grab bag of legendaries seems random to me.

I have no need for Pokemon Home if my favourite Pokemon isn't going to be in a Switch Pokemon game.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • The article is updated again, now with the gen 8 stats, previous fixes, and also analysis of the Galar Dex + extra 35 Pokemon remaining in the data. More notes might be added later too, time allowing.

HM100

HM100 the Techno
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2024
    The article is updated again, now with the gen 8 stats, previous fixes, and also analysis of the Galar Dex + extra 35 Pokemon remaining in the data. More notes might be added later too, time allowing.

It appears that according to the cry files data I found, the National Dex Numbers for Generation 8 Pokémon are different with the Skwovet family being after the the Intelleon and then follows the Rookidee family for instance. So only the Nat dex numbers of Gen8 starters and legendaries are correct.

Last edited:
    Back