• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Let's Go] Your expectations vs Your impressions so far

Pig

Angry ecologist
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jul 16, 2023
Firstly, I love the encounter feature. I LOVE being able to see Pokemon in the overworld and maneuver around them (or get chased). Every time I hit a spot of grass and mentally prepare myself I just remember that, oh yeah, I'll be able to see them coming. No more interruptions, and I can specifically look for what I want. I love that your Pokemon finally follow you around, something we've been begging for for years now. I like that we have the options to trade for the Alolan forms still (Alolan Ninetails became invaluable on my team).

Things that could have been better are just cosmetic things like the character customization. I chose my first character at the beginning under the impression I'd be able to change things later, like the hair/eye color, and even (I had hoped) the hair style. The clothing options are cute when they come at pivotal moments in the game to match the upcoming theme (i.e. the Sailor's outfit for the S.S. Anne), but are also still kind of limited in my opinion. Also having only one style of backpack. Being able to dress your partner is adorable though.

Another one is ride Pokemon. I can ride Snorlax of all things, which just looks uncomfortable, but not my Pidgeot. I caught Moltres thinking I'd be able to ride the legendary bird trio for sure, and you can't. Riding on Rapidash is 9/10 but don't tell me Rapidash couldn't just gallop over those ledges, or that Onix would even notice them, either. Also why is Blastoise not a ride option for water?

What I was straight up disappointed in and hated was the removal of HM moves and giving your partner Pokemon all the techniques. Took away a big portion of in-game team building I loved so much - building teams around HM moves. Instead now for some reason I get transported to and from places using a swing my Eevee sits in the front of.

I'm neutral about Eevee's exclusive moves because you can just ignore them entirely, but they can, again, take some real depth out of team building.

I was expecting better, but I'm fine with what I got. It's Yellow Remastered.

kitarei

☕ milk tea & 💻 code.
Years
Way better than I was expecting. I was looking forward to the game, but feeling a little over Kanto - however I was hooked from the moment I started it up.

Being able to see pokemon (and avoid them) in the overworld was amazing. I also loved the removal of HM's - I hate having those crappy moves in my Pokemon's movesets, so this was a positive for me.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jan 10, 2024
It is a visual beauty in terms of graphics, in spite of some recycled elements. (sprites, for instance.)

As of time of writing, I've just reached Rock Tunnel. I took on Lt. Surge with no Ground-types. Would have preferred if there was no roadblock in the Diglett Tunnel to backtrack to Mt. Moon to find the now hidden Moon Stone, but at least it brought forth a challenge.

That Gambler with a Fissure Diglett swept half of my team in three consecutive goes! My jolly ol' Magikarp taught him a lesson. No busted Splashes, required.

My current team:
-Beth the Eevee
-Tarzan the Ivysaur
-Thanos the Nidoking
-Triton the Gyarados
-Phoebe the Vulpix
-Bumblebee the Beedrill

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Jul 4, 2019
Everything is perfect in terms of the graphics and the concept of the game. I did not have high expectations and I would say that the game really surprised me. It's pure Pokémon.

_pheebee

[I]Gosh! What's poppin'?[/i]
Years
I say if you want a pure, good, well done Gen 1 experience.
Let's Go! is the place to go. (pardon the pun)

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
The game exceeded some of my expectations, in that it was a lot more charming than I expected. Unfortunately, the gameplay didn't end up being very fun, and the controls in tv mode bugged me a lot more than I thought they would.

The good:
-Playing with Pikachu is fun. Taking screenshots and videos is fun. In fact, one of my favorite activities is to screenshot neat battle poses.
-It's nostalgic. I love Kanto, and I've enjoyed re-exploring it. It's a vibrant world, albeit a small one.

The bad:
-I never feel like I actually get to use my team. A lot of time is spent catching Pokémon, and you don't really do any battling during these times. As a result, I don't feel attached to my Pokémon (besides Pikachu).
-The leveling mechanics are frustrating. Battling doesn't earn much exp, and it spreads to everyone. Catching earns much more. Money for Pokeballs became an issue for me early on, and as a result, I found that the best strategy was to solo the game using Pikachu's Pay Day until the fourth badge or so, as this gave me the most funds to continue catching Pokémon (and worked better if I got Pikachu to a higher level). Additionally, I majorly overleveled my team by attempting (and failing) to chain a shiny Drowzee after earning my third badge, and it made the next part of the game pretty boring. I prefer when catching and exp are kept separate.
-Using a single joycon in tv mode made my hand and wrist sore. I also found the motion controls overly intrusive, and they prevented me from playing the game when trying to fall asleep, or other times when I commonly play Pokémon games.

Back