• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokémon FireGold

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 31, 2023
    Hi everyone.
    I'm sorry to say this but due to some last-minute Christmas rearrangements due to covid, then new version will not be out by the 25th as I previously suggested.
    The UK is in a sorry state right now and all my efforts are currently going towards trying to celebrate with my family the way they deserve.
    I hope you all have a Merry Christmas and stay safe.

Years
  • So far really love this. Playing the hard version.

Little tweaks on this hack are really fun.

The unexpected roster (and even moveset) of Brock was impressive enough.

Catching Nidoran and Mankey was really helpful for dealing with it.

Also, I like the way you distributed TM (including move tutors). Early earning TMs are very useful and bring a new experience.

Sometimes, those early TMs feel too good, probably you may design the distribution based on the extreme mode?

For now, reaching Cerulean city and I am surprised again because,

Spoiler:

And I also found a little bug. Ivysaur does not learn Sludge at the level 19.

Last edited:
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 31, 2023
    So far really love this. Playing the hard version.

Little tweaks on this hack are really fun.

The unexpected roster (and even moveset) of Brock was impressive enough.

Catching Nidoran and Mankey was really helpful for dealing with it.

Also, I like the way you distributed TM (including move tutors). Early earning TMs are very useful and bring a new experience.

Sometimes, those early TMs feel too good, probably you may design the distribution based on the extreme mode?

For now, reaching Cerulean city and I am surprised again because,

Spoiler:

And I also found a little bug. Ivysaur does not learn Sludge at the level 19.

Really glad to hear you're enjoying it. Thank you for the kind words!
    I did put a lot of thought into the TMs and Move Tutors, ensuring the most useful and widely applicable moves were selected, so I'm pleased with your feedback.
    As for the placement, yes they were based on Extreme Mode, as originally this was the only mode available.
    With regards to your spoiler; it is something I added that is not in FireRed, however if you've played Pokémon Yellow, you may notice I have lifted it from there, with only minor changes such as the house, and what you receive being based on your choice earlier in the game.
    The reason Ivysaur learns Sludge is because it no longer has access to it as an Egg Move due to Gulpin not being available. In instances where this has occurred, I have tried to ensure the Egg Move can still be learned by another method (such as level-up) to compensate.

Years
  • Hello, again.

First of all, thanks for your reply.

I understand your intention about egg moves, but what I said is that although in your Pokédex page,

Ivysaur should learn Sludge at 19Lv but did not learn it in my case.

I've been playing the hard mode v2.1, and found that the latest version is v2.2, it may probably be because of that.

So far, reaching the Saffron gym. Found two freezing bugs.

Again, I've been playing the hard mode v2.1 and

using the mGBA emulator.

1. Moonblast freeze

One of the trainers in the Saffron gym has an Alakazam.

When that Alakazam uses Moonblast, the game is freezing.

It may be a glitch in the Mr.DollSteak rombase.

2. Saffron City, "don't look at my letter." girl freeze

There is a house in Saffron city where a girl writes a letter and says "don't look at my letter."

When trying to read a letter on the top of a desk, the game is freezing.

And I also have an opinion about the Celadon gym.

Many Pokémons (like Bellsprout and Oddish) have Sleep Powder and Stun Spore at the same time.

Because of that such pokémon mostly uses those moves, even if it already makes an opponent sleep or being paralyzed.

Replacing one of those moves by others would make battles more fun.

Also, the Vileplume of the leader Erika has Aromatherapy.

In my case, until it faints, the Vileplume consistently used Aromatherapy.

In general, the Vileplume would be the last Pokémon of Erika, because of that using Aromatherapy is pointless.

How about replacing Aromatherapy with Moonlight?

One last thing is about Growth.

I know that Growth increases two stages of Attack and Special Attack in harsh sunrise,

but in your hack, it always increases two stages of Attack and Special Attack always.

Is that your intention or mistake?

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 31, 2023
    Hello, again.

First of all, thanks for your reply.

I understand your intention about egg moves, but what I said is that although in your Pokédex page,

Ivysaur should learn Sludge at 19Lv but did not learn it in my case.

I've been playing the hard mode v2.1, and found that the latest version is v2.2, it may probably be because of that.

So far, reaching the Saffron gym. Found two freezing bugs.

Again, I've been playing the hard mode v2.1 and

using the mGBA emulator.

1. Moonblast freeze

One of the trainers in the Saffron gym has an Alakazam.

When that Alakazam uses Moonblast, the game is freezing.

It may be a glitch in the Mr.DollSteak rombase.

2. Saffron City, "don't look at my letter." girl freeze

There is a house in Saffron city where a girl writes a letter and says "don't look at my letter."

When trying to read a letter on the top of a desk, the game is freezing.

And I also have an opinion about the Celadon gym.

Many Pokémons (like Bellsprout and Oddish) have Sleep Powder and Stun Spore at the same time.

Because of that such pokémon mostly uses those moves, even if it already makes an opponent sleep or being paralyzed.

Replacing one of those moves by others would make battles more fun.

Also, the Vileplume of the leader Erika has Aromatherapy.

In my case, until it faints, the Vileplume consistently used Aromatherapy.

In general, the Vileplume would be the last Pokémon of Erika, because of that using Aromatherapy is pointless.

How about replacing Aromatherapy with Moonlight?

One last thing is about Growth.

I know that Growth increases two stages of Attack and Special Attack in harsh sunrise,

but in your hack, it always increases two stages of Attack and Special Attack always.

Is that your intention or mistake?

Oh, I see.
    Yes, the addition of Sludge to Ivysaur's moveset is new to V2.2.

I will take a look into the Alakazam/Moonblast bug, thanks for pointing this out.

The letter freeze has been pointed out to me before, I've added it to my list of fixes for V2.3. The sprite for the letter is just missing a script which is what's causing the freeze.

The reason the Celadon Gym Pokémon have both those moves is because in Hard Mode, most trainer Pokémon are just set to have whatever moves they would naturally have at that level. I can certainly look to refine this so thanks for drawing my attention to that. It's the same deal with Vileplume having Aromatherapy, though the reason it keeps trying to use it may be because the AI can be a bit stupid sometimes. This is a result of the rombase and is documented in the 'Known Bugs' section on the OP. I think your suggestion of replacing it with Moonlight is a good one, and I'll put it on my list.

As for Growth, this is also a result of the rombase. I guess MrDollSteak couldn't figure out how to implement the boost it receives in sun and so decided to just make it a permanent thing.

This rom was actually made a few years ago, before the release of the CFRU, and MrDollSteak's base is now considered obsolete due to the amount of bugs it has. I have been having thoughts lately of remaking the game in the CFRU as I do not have the ASM knowledge to fix these bugs, however I'm going to struggle to find time to do this.
    We'll see what the future holds.

Inner Rhymes

Rhythm & Poetry.
    Years
  • Oh, I see.
    Yes, the addition of Sludge to Ivysaur's moveset is new to V2.2.

I will take a look into the Alakazam/Moonblast bug, thanks for pointing this out.

The letter freeze has been pointed out to me before, I've added it to my list of fixes for V2.3. The sprite for the letter is just missing a script which is what's causing the freeze.

The reason the Celadon Gym Pokémon have both those moves is because in Hard Mode, most trainer Pokémon are just set to have whatever moves they would naturally have at that level. I can certainly look to refine this so thanks for drawing my attention to that. It's the same deal with Vileplume having Aromatherapy, though the reason it keeps trying to use it may be because the AI can be a bit stupid sometimes. This is a result of the rombase and is documented in the 'Known Bugs' section on the OP. I think your suggestion of replacing it with Moonlight is a good one, and I'll put it on my list.

As for Growth, this is also a result of the rombase. I guess MrDollSteak couldn't figure out how to implement the boost it receives in sun and so decided to just make it a permanent thing.

This rom was actually made a few years ago, before the release of the CFRU, and MrDollSteak's base is now considered obsolete due to the amount of bugs it has. I have been having thoughts lately of remaking the game in the CFRU as I do not have the ASM knowledge to fix these bugs, however I'm going to struggle to find time to do this.
    We'll see what the future holds.

Not going to lie, porting this hack to CFRU base would be absolutely insane, especially with all the added bonuses that come with it like a faster battle load screen, running shoes toggle etc.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 31, 2023
    Also where can i find the rainbow wing... I went to pewter city like in soul silver but cant find it there

You get the Rainbow Wing from the Director of the Radio Tower once you rid it of Team Rocket. Once you have the Rainbow Wing, you can then get the Silver Wing from Pewter City as in Pokémon Gold.

Years
    • Seen Apr 20, 2022
    Sorry to hear. What's the issue?

I can't get the Squirtbottle after battling Whitney, and so I can not progress. I am not really sure if I got the badge as well, but I keep on talking to her and the other NPC, but nothing changes. When I go to the flower shop nothing happens too

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 31, 2023
    I can't get the Squirtbottle after battling Whitney, and so I can not progress. I am not really sure if I got the badge as well, but I keep on talking to her and the other NPC, but nothing changes. When I go to the flower shop nothing happens too

I'll take a look into this.
    Can I ask, do you have the TM for Facade, and have you been playing 2.2 the whole time?

Years
    • Seen Apr 20, 2022
    I'll take a look into this.
    Can I ask, do you have the TM for Facade, and have you been playing 2.2 the whole time?

Yes, I only played the 2.2 version and no, I don't have the TM for Facade. I am not even really sure if I actually battled Whitney, but when I talk to her she only says "you're too good, I'll get you next time, though".

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 31, 2023
    Yes, I only played the 2.2 version and no, I don't have the TM for Facade. I am not even really sure if I actually battled Whitney, but when I talk to her she only says "you're too good, I'll get you next time, though".

Sorry about this.
    This is very odd. It hasn't come up during my test but I'll take a look into the scripting and see if anything looks out of place. Thanks for bringing this up.

Back